- Sermon Slides for Sermon Angels In The Bible: Slides
- Printable PDF for Sermon Angels In The Bible: PDF
 The title of the sermon today is “ANGELS IN THE BIBLE.”
Angels Aren’t Always Living Creatures Or Beasts
- Angels in the Bible can be very confusing.
- When you see AN ANGEL in the Bible, sometimes it’s difficult to understand who it is in each case.
- So today, we’re going figure out who and what these angels are in the Bible.
- We’ll start with the word ANGEL. What does it mean?
- The word ANGEL means MESSENGER. This is any MESSENGER OF GOD HIMSELF.
- It’s anyone whose bringing a message from God.
- There are human messengers or ANGELS and there are non-human messengers or ANGELS.
There are 283 verses within the Bible with the word angel or angels.
- There are 106 verses with the word messenger or messengers.
- Most of the time MESSENGER is used it’s not talking about ANGELS, though.
- But we’re going to look at some of those verses today.
- Let’s look at the FIRST TIME the word ANGEL is used in the Bible.
 Genesis 16:6-9 But Abram said unto Sarai, Behold, thy maid is in thy hand; do to her as it pleaseth thee. And when Sarai dealt hardly with her, she fled from her face. 7 And the angel of the LORD found her by a fountain of water in the wilderness, by the fountain in the way to Shur. 8 And he said, Hagar, Sarai’s maid, whence camest thou? and whither wilt thou go? And she said, I flee from the face of my mistress Sarai. 9 And the angel of the LORD said unto her, Return to thy mistress, and submit thyself under her hands.
- So Hagar, Sarai’s maid, flees from Sarai.
- The ANGEL OF THE LORD finds her by a fountain in the wilderness.
- This angel of the Lord speaks with Hagar. Who is this angel of the Lord speaking with Hagar?
- Let’s see as the Bible tells us who this is.
 Genesis 16:10 And the angel of the LORD said unto her, I will multiply thy seed exceedingly, that it shall not be numbered for multitude.
- The angel of the LORD says: “I WILL MULTIPLY THY SEED EXCEEDINGLY.”
- He doesn’t say, “God will do it.” He says, “I WILL DO IT.”
- The angel of the LORD right there is the LORD JESUS CHRIST Himself.
- Jesus shows up as the ANGEL OF THE LORD, the messenger of God, many times in the Bible.
- The angel of the LORD is not always Jesus Christ, though, in the Bible.
- But in this instance, we know it’s HIM because He say: “I WILL MULTIPLY THY SEED EXCEEDINGLY.”
Jesus Is “THE” Messenger Of God
And you might say, “That doesn’t really prove that’s Jesus.”
- The Bible calls JESUS an angel over and over again. He’s a MESSENGER of God The Father.
- This doesn’t mean He’s a created angel or a created being like the other angels.
- He is eternal. He wasn’t created. JESUS is the Son of God and HE IS GOD. He is eternal. All-knowing.
- Watch right here in Isaiah Chapter 63 when Jesus is called THE ANGEL OF GOD’S PRESENCE.
 Isaiah 63:7-9 I will mention the lovingkindnesses of the LORD, and the praises of the LORD, according to all that the LORD hath bestowed on us, and the great goodness toward the house of Israel, which he hath bestowed on them according to his mercies, and according to the multitude of his lovingkindnesses. 8 For he said, Surely they are my people, children that will not lie: so he was their Saviour. 9 In all their affliction he was afflicted, and the angel of his presence saved them: in his love and in his pity he redeemed them; and he bare them, and carried them all the days of old.
- And we’re not going to stop there. We’re going to see much more than that today.
- So, remember, there are different types of ANGELS in the Bible but they are all messengers of God.
- Jesus is an angel. Humans are angels. Living creatures like the Cherubims and Seraphims are angels.
- ANGEL equals MESSENGER.
- Don’t let the word angel confuse you because of a pre-conceived image of an angel flying around.
- Sometimes it’s talking about angel’s with wings but most of the time it isn’t.
- Some angels are men who have lived on this earth. Jesus is a man.
- These angels, who are human, show up often in the Bible.
The angels can be human, can be Jesus, or can be the ANGELIC creatures that aren’t in the image of God.
- Some people like the Seventh Day Adventists say that Jesus is Michael the archangel.
- “Before His name was JESUS, His name was Michael the Archangel.”
- The Bible doesn’t say that. They take verses out of context and come up with this weird doctrine.
- Jesus isn’t Michael the Archangel. Jesus isn’t like the created group of ANGELS in heaven.
 Hebrews 2:16 For verily he took not on him the nature of angels; but he took on him the seed of Abraham.
- In other words JESUS CHRIST is a man. He isn’t Michael. He’s JESUS, “THE” SON OF GOD.
- In that verse right there, it’s not talking about a messenger or angel of God.
- It’s talking about God’s angels in heaven. The living creatures that aren’t in HUMAN form.
- Why? Because Jesus didn’t take on that nature. He took on human nature. He’s a MAN.
 Hebrews 1:4-6 Being made so much better than the angels, as he hath by inheritance obtained a more excellent name than they. 5 For unto which of the angels said he at any time, Thou art my Son, this day have I begotten thee? And again, I will be to him a Father, and he shall be to me a Son? 6 And again, when he bringeth in the firstbegotten into the world, he saith, And let all the angels of God worship him.
- In verse 4, it’s talking about ANGELS in heaven. God’s living creatures that are angels. They aren’t human.
- The angels in heaven aren’t called SONS OF GOD.
- That passage of Scripture right there says that God has NEVER called an angel a son of God.
- So again, there are angels that are human messengers and there are angels who aren’t human.
- Do you see the difference? This is where we can’t get confused.
Jesus Christ is called THE angel of the Lord but He’s obviously a MAN.
- He’s not a created angel creature in heaven. He’s a man who is the SON OF GOD and is GOD.
- So, you have to look at the passage of Scripture and see the context.
- What type of angel is being talked about?
- So always remember that ANGEL means MESSENGER.
- For example, the prophet Haggai is called a messenger.
 Haggai 1:13 Then spake Haggai the LORD’S messenger in the LORD’S message unto the people, saying, I am with you, saith the LORD.
- People who are speaking God’s word are referred to as messengers of the Lord.
- And remember, the word ANGEL means messenger.
 Malachi 3:1-2 Behold, I will send my messenger, and he shall prepare the way before me: and the Lord, whom ye seek, shall suddenly come to his temple, even the messenger of the covenant, whom ye delight in: behold, he shall come, saith the LORD of hosts. 2 But who may abide the day of his coming? and who shall stand when he appeareth? for he is like a refiner’s fire, and like fullers’ soap:
- In verse 1, the Bible is talking about JOHN THE BAPTIST as the messenger who shall prepare the way.
- Then you see: “even THE MESSENGER of the covenant whom ye delight” in verse 1.
- “THE MESSENGER of the covenant” is Jesus Christ.
- We see that Jesus Christ is an angel because He’s bringing God’s message to us.
Angels Bring Messages From God
Prophets can be called angels because they’re bringing God’s message to us.
- You’ll see in the Book of Revelation that the ANGEL OF THE CHURCH is the messenger of that church.
- A pastor can be referred to as an angel of the church because He’s bringing the message from God.
- He’s the leader of the church bringing God’s message to the church.
 Revelation 2:1 Unto the angel of the church of Ephesus write; These things saith he that holdeth the seven stars in his right hand, who walketh in the midst of the seven golden candlesticks;
 Revelation 2:8 And unto the angel of the church in Smyrna write; These things saith the first and the last, which was dead, and is alive;
 Revelation 2:12 And to the angel of the church in Pergamos write; These things saith he which hath the sharp sword with two edges;
- John is clearly writing to the LEADER of each Church. The angel of each Church.
- The leader of each Church is the one bringing the message of God.
- Do you see that today? When you see: “TO THE ANGEL OF THE CHURCH” it simply means messenger.
- Obviously, the leader of the Churches is not an HEAVENLY ANGEL or living creature. They’re human.
- They have God’s word in their hand and their giving the message of GOD.
- Now, you should understand what that means in the messages to the 7 Churches in Rev Ch 2 and 3.
- But keep in mind, A PASTOR of a church doesn’t stand between YOU AND GOD.
- That’s NOT what’s being said here. He’s simply one that brings the word of God in a message to teach.
- The Pastor is the leader of an individual church, but he’s not a MEDIATOR.
 1 Timothy 2:5 For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus;
- In other words, PRIVATE MESSAGES aren’t given to the PASTOR of a church.
- In the Book of Revelation, the message is given to the PASTOR but everyone else sees it too.
- The word of God is given to the PASTOR or the ANGEL of the Church but everyone else has it too.
- There is no secret messages that you don’t get to see.
Do You Get Special Messages From God?
Some Pastors think they get special messages from God.
- They talk their congregation into listening to them BECAUSE they have some special connection.
- And the stuff they SPEW out of their mouth doesn’t even match the Bible.
- They think they’re like an OLD TESTAMENT Prophet. We don’t have that any more.
- We’re under the New Covenant now and we all have the indwelling of the Holy Spirit.
- We have the completed WORD OF GOD. It’s all directly in front of us right now. THE BIBLE.
So, look you have HUMANS and you something that isn’t human.
- Both are called angels in the Bible. So what’s the difference in them?
- I want go back to Hebrews Chapter 1 and show you something else.
 Hebrews 1:13-14 But to which of the angels said he at any time, Sit on my right hand, until I make thine enemies thy footstool? 14 Are they not all ministering spirits, sent forth to minister for them who shall be heirs of salvation?
- Now, we’re back to the non-human ANGELS.
- They aren’t joint heirs with JESUS CHRIST. They aren’t saved by the Blood of Jesus Christ.
- They aren’t human flesh. They aren’t men and they aren’t women. They aren’t human at all.
- Verse 14 says that they’re “MINISTERING SPIRITS” so they aren’t flesh and blood.
- But that’s not all it says. “They are sent forth to minister for them who shall be HEIRS of salvation.”
- So again, they are HEIRS OF SALVATION. They don’t receive salvation through JESUS CHRIST.
- Humans do receive salvation through Jesus Christ. We need Jesus to be saved from HELL.
Today, I want to talk about BOTH the HUMAN angels and the NON-HUMAN angels.
- That was an introduction so you see that there’s different types of ANGELS in the Bible.
- We’ll look at this in a lot more detail, and I hope you notice all of this in your Bible reading.
- With that, let’s start with the HUMAN ANGELS. And then we’ll move to the NON-HUMAN ANGELS.
 Revelation 22:6-9 And he said unto me, These sayings are faithful and true: and the Lord God of the holy prophets sent his angel to shew unto his servants the things which must shortly be done. 7 Behold, I come quickly: blessed is he that keepeth the sayings of the prophecy of this book. 8 And I John saw these things, and heard them. And when I had heard and seen, I fell down to worship before the feet of the angel which shewed me these things. 9 Then saith he unto me, See thou do it not: for I am thy fellowservant, and of thy brethren the prophets, and of them which keep the sayings of this book: worship God.
- Who is talking to John in these verses?
- When you’re reading the Bible, always stop and ask yourself who is speaking.
- John saw and heard what this ANGEL was saying and he fell down to worship at his feet.
- The Bible uses the word ANGEL towards the end of verse 8.
- But notice what the ANGEL says in verse 9.
- He says to John, “I am thy FELLOWSERVANT, and of thy BRETHREN the prophets.”
- So he tells John that he’s just like him. He’s a prophet. John’s a prophet.
- He’s a servant of God. John is a servant of God. He’s just like John.
- This is a HUMAN who is now in heaven and who is now acting as one of God’s messengers.
- And you might say: “Well, that’s not right.” We’ll keep going and prove that it’s a HUMAN.
EvANGEList Includes ANGEL Within The Word
The word EVANGELIST includes the word ANGEL within. Notice that.
- There’s a group of Christians that are called EVANGELICAL Christians.
- These are Christians who PREACH THE GOSPEL. They want to evangelize.
- They want to bring the message of God. They want to bring the GOOD NEWS to people.
- So yes, we are EVANGELICAL. The word ANGEL is within that word EVANGELICAL.
- Let me spell it out on the white board there.
- Soul Winning churches are EVANGELICAL because they are bringing the GOOD NEWS!!!
I want to show you a little more about the ANGEL in Revelation Chapter 22.
- If we move back to Revelation Chapter 21, you’ll learn more about that ANGEL in Chapter 22.
- So, let’s go back to Revelation 21 verse 9.
 Revelation 21:9-10 And there came unto me one of the seven angels which had the seven vials full of the seven last plagues, and talked with me, saying, Come hither, I will shew thee the bride, the Lamb’s wife. 10 And he carried me away in the spirit to a great and high mountain, and shewed me that great city, the holy Jerusalem, descending out of heaven from God,
- This MAN is one of the SEVEN ANGELS which had the seven vials full of the seven last plagues.
- He takes John away in the spirit and is showing him the great city, HOLY JERUSALEM.
- As you read through the next verse, you’ll see that this ANGEL is measuring the city Jerusalem.
- And then let’s look down to verse 17.
 Revelation 21:17 And he measured the wall thereof, an hundred and forty and four cubits, according to the measure of a man, that is, of the angel.
- Look to the end of that verse. “According to the measure of a MAN, that is of the ANGEL.”
- What’s a cubit? Whose doing the measuring? The angel is measuring and he is a man.
- Remember, the Bible is not difficult to understand. Other pre-conceived teaching makes it difficult.
- I want to show you a couple other examples in Revelation.
 Revelation 19:9-10 And he saith unto me, Write, Blessed are they which are called unto the marriage supper of the Lamb. And he saith unto me, These are the true sayings of God. 10 And I fell at his feet to worship him. And he said unto me, See thou do it not: I am thy fellowservant, and of thy brethren that have the testimony of Jesus: worship God: for the testimony of Jesus is the spirit of prophecy.
- Another angel is seen here. John falls at his feet to worship him.
- He says, “Do not worship me.”
- “I am thy FELLOWSERVANT and of THY BRETHREN that have the testimony of Jesus.”
- In other words, this is someone who is SAVED by Jesus Christ. That’s not the ANGELIC BEINGS in heaven.
- It’s not the CHERUBIMS and the SERAPHIMS.
 Hebrews 13:2 Be not forgetful to entertain strangers: for thereby some have entertained angels unawares.
- In other words, sometimes real actual ANGELS show up as strangers in our life.
- Why do we not know the difference? Because they look like man. They are men.
- I’ve had one occurrence of this in my life that I’ll always remember.
- And I was a little child, but for some reason, I’ll always remember this.
Our white house out on LaGrange road caught on fire one night. I don’t remember many details.
- But I remember seeing the house glowing with the fire.
- And I remember this man in a plain white t-shirt who no one knew picking me up and putting me in the little red car we had.
Maybe That Was An Angel
That picture of him doing that and holding me: I will always remember. It’s still in my head.
- I remember him disappearing after that. And who knows who it was.
- Could it have been an angel? Yes, it could have been. Was it? I’m not sure.
- If it was, maybe one day I’ll get to meet that man in heaven and thank him for the help that night.
- In other words, watch how you treat strangers BECAUSE it might just be an angel.
 Genesis 18:1-2 And the LORD appeared unto him in the plains of Mamre: and he sat in the tent door in the heat of the day; 2 And he lift up his eyes and looked, and, lo, three men stood by him: and when he saw them, he ran to meet them from the tent door, and bowed himself toward the ground,
- The Lord Jesus Christ HIMSELF and 2 angels showed up to see Abraham.
- Notice it says, “THREE MEN STOOD BY HIM.”
- They came to tell Abraham that Sarah would have a son.
- Then they look to Sodom chapter 18 says.
- In Genesis Chapter 19, we see TWO ANGELS come to the wicked city of Sodom.
 Genesis 19:1 And there came two angels to Sodom at even; and Lot sat in the gate of Sodom: and Lot seeing them rose up to meet them; and he bowed himself with his face toward the ground;
- Then men of Sodom call the TWO ANGELS “MEN.”
 Genesis 19:5 And they called unto Lot, and said unto him, Where are the men which came in to thee this night? bring them out unto us, that we may know them.
- There’s all these occurrences within the Bible of angels showing up as strangers.
 Mark 16:5-6 And entering into the sepulchre, they saw a young man sitting on the right side, clothed in a long white garment; and they were affrighted. 6 And he saith unto them, Be not affrighted: Ye seek Jesus of Nazareth, which was crucified: he is risen; he is not here: behold the place where they laid him.
- Notice it says, “They saw a YOUNG MAN sitting on the right side clothed in a long white garment.”
- That was an angel.
 John 20:11-12 But Mary stood without at the sepulchre weeping: and as she wept, she stooped down, and looked into the sepulchre, 12 And seeth two angels in white sitting, the one at the head, and the other at the feet, where the body of Jesus had lain.
- TWO ANGELS in white. They speak to her, and she speaks back to them.
- Directly after that, watch what happens.
 John 20:14-16 And when she had thus said, she turned herself back, and saw Jesus standing, and knew not that it was Jesus. 15 Jesus saith unto her, Woman, why weepest thou? whom seekest thou? She, supposing him to be the gardener, saith unto him, Sir, if thou have borne him hence, tell me where thou hast laid him, and I will take him away. 16 Jesus saith unto her, Mary. She turned herself, and saith unto him, Rabboni; which is to say, Master.
- She thought Jesus HIMSELF was the gardener until she turned and saw Him.
- So many times in the Bible, people are confronted by MESSENGERS OF THE LORD who are men.
- So, the Bible is telling us, “THAT COULD HAPPEN TO YOU.”
- “BE NOT FORGETFUL” the Bible says “TO ENTERTAIN STRANGERS for some are angels.”
- Let’s take a look at some more SCRIPTURE on angels.
 Mark 12:24-27 And Jesus answering said unto them, Do ye not therefore err, because ye know not the scriptures, neither the power of God? 25 For when they shall rise from the dead, they neither marry, nor are given in marriage; but are as the angels which are in heaven. 26 And as touching the dead, that they rise: have ye not read in the book of Moses, how in the bush God spake unto him, saying, I am the God of Abraham, and the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob? 27 He is not the God of the dead, but the God of the living: ye therefore do greatly err.
- In the resurrection at the RAPTURE, there is no marriage.
- Angels aren’t married in heaven. And remember this is talking about all types of angels in heaven.
- This could be humans that have died in the past, went to heaven, and are now acting as an angel.
- An example is one of the angels from Revelation that says:
- “I am thy FELLOWSERVANT, and of thy BRETHREN the prophets.”
- Or, that Scripture can also mean the Cherubims and Seraphims that don’t marry in heaven.
- So, there won’t be marriage in heaven. “HALLELUJAH!!! I can’t wait for that.” Just kidding, Pam.
The Angel Of The Lord = Jesus Christ
Throughout the entire Bible, there are hundreds of appearances of angels. We can’t go through all of them.
- But I want to focus now on the most important ANGEL OF THE LORD.
- And that would be THE ANGEL, the LORD JESUS CHRIST.
- So remember, when the Bible says the angel of the Lord, it’s not always JESUS CHRIST.
- But it is some of the time. And you have to look at the Scripture to figure it out each time.
- Let’s look at the BURNING BUSH in Exodus Chapter 3 verse 2.
 Exodus 3:2 And the angel of the LORD appeared unto him in a flame of fire out of the midst of a bush: and he looked, and, behold, the bush burned with fire, and the bush was not consumed.
- So, you see that it says “THE ANGEL OF THE LORD appeared unto him in a flame of fire.”
- Who is this angel of the Lord? Is it Jesus? Or is it someone else? Let’s see. Verse 3.
 Exodus 3:3-6 And Moses said, I will now turn aside, and see this great sight, why the bush is not burnt. 4 And when the LORD saw that he turned aside to see, God called unto him out of the midst of the bush, and said, Moses, Moses. And he said, Here am I. 5 And he said, Draw not nigh hither: put off thy shoes from off thy feet, for the place whereon thou standest is holy ground. 6 Moreover he said, I am the God of thy father, the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob. And Moses hid his face; for he was afraid to look upon God.
- So, the ANGEL OF THE LORD in verse 6 says: “I AM THE GOD OF THY FATHER.”
- Who is this? This is the Lord Jesus Christ who is GOD. He is a messenger of God the Father.
- And notice what it says there: “The PLACE where you stand is HOLY GROUND.”
- This is very important to see. HOLY GROUND means that it’s GOD there with you.
One of the reasons I wrote this sermon was due to the Daniel Chapter 3 study we just completed.
- I want you to see this in the story of the FIERY FURNACE in Daniel Chapter 3.
- And remember, the FOURTH “MAN” that King Nebuchadnezzar saw in that furnace was JESUS CHRIST.
- Jesus came down from heaven to save Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego from the fiery furnace.
- And then watch what King Nebuchadnezzar says.
 Daniel 3:28 Then Nebuchadnezzar spake, and said, Blessed be the God of Shadrach, Meshach, and Abed-nego, who hath sent his angel, and delivered his servants that trusted in him, and have changed the king’s word, and yielded their bodies, that they might not serve nor worship any god, except their own God.
- Do you see where it says: “Blessed be the GOD who hat sent HIS ANGEL to deliver HIS servants.”
- The king had just said He saw a figure like the Son of God and then he calls that figure an angel.
- JESUS is THE ANGEL of the LORD.
- I want to look at Exodus Chapter 23 next and compare this to the same story in Joshua Chapter 5.
 Exodus 23:20-21 Behold, I send an Angel before thee, to keep thee in the way, and to bring thee into the place which I have prepared. 21 Beware of him, and obey his voice, provoke him not; for he will not pardon your transgressions: for my name is in him.
- This is in the BOOK OF EXODUS so what’s happening here?
- God has brought the children of Israel out of Egypt.
- God is sending an angel to keep their way and BEFORE they go into the promised land.
- In the Book of Joshua, they are entering into the PROMISED LAND.
- So, we should get more information about this ANGEL that’s leading them into the Promised Land.
- And I love this SCRIPTURE right here in Joshua Chapter 5.
 Joshua 5:13 And it came to pass, when Joshua was by Jericho, that he lifted up his eyes and looked, and, behold, there stood a man over against him with his sword drawn in his hand: and Joshua went unto him, and said unto him, Art thou for us, or for our adversaries?
- Joshua looks at this man with HIS SWORD DRAWN standing before him and says, “WHO ARE YOU?”
- “ARE YOU FOR US or AGAINST US?” Joshua wasn’t fearful of ANYTHING.
- He sees this MAN (notice it says MAN), and asks him: “Hey buddy, are you for us or someone else?”
- And watch what happens next. The stories in the Bible are the BEST STORIES so read them, know them.
 Joshua 5:14 And he said, Nay; but as captain of the host of the LORD am I now come. And Joshua fell on his face to the earth, and did worship, and said unto him, What saith my lord unto his servant?
- So Joshua says: “Are you for us or against us?” This man says, “NO.” It wasn’t a YES/NO question.
- But this man says what He wants to say. He says: “NO.” I love God’s nature. He says: NO!
- And why does He answer like this? Because He says: “I am the captain of the HOST of the LORD.”
- In other words. I’m not for you or against you. I AM YOUR LEADER. You do what I say. You’re for me.
“I Am Not For You But You Are For Me.”
I’m not for you. That’s what the man says, and that’s why He responds that way.
- And Joshua FALLS ON HIS FACE TO THE EARTH and worships this man who is GOD.
- The angel here ACCEPTS WORSHIP from Joshua. Other angels DO NOT accept worship.
- In Revelation, the angels stop John from worshipping them.
- So, how do we know FOR SURE this man is JESUS CHRIST HIMSELF. Let’s read the next verse.
 Joshua 5:15 And the captain of the LORD’S host said unto Joshua, Loose thy shoe from off thy foot; for the place whereon thou standest is holy. And Joshua did so.
- “The place whereon thou standest is HOLY.”
- That’s how we know this is JESUS CHRIST. And remember Exodus 23 calls this man an ANGEL.
- Notice also that this man is the CAPTAIN OF THE LORD’S HOST.
 Hebrews 2:10 For it became him, for whom are all things, and by whom are all things, in bringing many sons unto glory, to make the captain of their salvation perfect through sufferings.
- Jesus Christ in this verse is the CAPTAIN OF OUR SALVATION.
Throughout the Bible, people see GOD FACE TO FACE.
- I want to show you some of that Scripture.
- In Genesis Chapter 32, Jacob wrestles with a MAN who is GOD.
 Genesis 32:30 And Jacob called the name of the place Peniel: for I have seen God face to face, and my life is preserved.
 Judges 13:20-22 For it came to pass, when the flame went up toward heaven from off the altar, that the angel of the LORD ascended in the flame of the altar. And Manoah and his wife looked on it, and fell on their faces to the ground. 21 But the angel of the LORD did no more appear to Manoah and to his wife. Then Manoah knew that he was an angel of the LORD. 22 And Manoah said unto his wife, We shall surely die, because we have seen God.
- In the Old Testament, people believe they will die if they see God’s face.
- But then, we see that God’s face is constantly seen.
- When you get to the New Testament, it all makes sense. Jesus Christ is a man who is GOD.
- And obviously, people see God’s face when they see Jesus Christ because HE IS GOD.
- So then, we know that we see JESUS CHRIST making appearances in the Old Testament.
 Exodus 33:17-20 And the LORD said unto Moses, I will do this thing also that thou hast spoken: for thou hast found grace in my sight, and I know thee by name. 18 And he said, I beseech thee, shew me thy glory. 19 And he said, I will make all my goodness pass before thee, and I will proclaim the name of the LORD before thee; and will be gracious to whom I will be gracious, and will shew mercy on whom I will shew mercy. 20 And he said, Thou canst not see my face: for there shall no man see me, and live.
- The LORD says right there that NO MAN CAN SEE MY FACE AND LIVE.
- In that same passage, God hides Moses with HIS HANDS.
- He passes by and Moses sees the back side of God but not HIS FACE.
- HIS GLORY is too bright for any man to see HIS FACE and live.
- And we also know that no man has seen God.
 1 John 4:12 No man hath seen God at any time. If we love one another, God dwelleth in us, and his love is perfected in us.
 John 1:18 No man hath seen God at any time; the only begotten Son, which is in the bosom of the Father, he hath declared him.
- So, how in the world are people seeing God face to face?
- The Bible says right there that NO MAN HATH SEEN GOD.
- It’s very clearly saying that NO MAN has seen GOD THE FATHER.
- But very clearly, lots of people have seen JESUS CHRIST.
- And lots of people have seen God in the Old Testament because they were seeing JESUS CHRIST.
Jesus = God = Son Of God = Angel Of The Lord
Jesus is the Son of God and is God.
- People who don’t believe that God is THREE IN ONE can’t explain the Bible.
- The nature of GOD ALMIGHTY is 3 persons in ONE GOD.
- The FACE of Jesus Christ CAN be seen!!!
- Jesus is also called an ANGEL OF THE LORD throughout the Bible.
- I want to show you this once again.
 Hosea 12:2-5 The LORD hath also a controversy with Judah, and will punish Jacob according to his ways; according to his doings will he recompense him. 3 He took his brother by the heel in the womb, and by his strength he had power with God: 4 Yea, he had power over the angel, and prevailed: he wept, and made supplication unto him: he found him in Beth-el, and there he spake with us; 5 Even the LORD God of hosts; the LORD is his memorial.
- This is a very important SCRIPTURE to understand.
- Verse 4 is talking about when Jacob wrestled with that ANGEL or that MAN or that JESUS CHRIST.
- Again, Jesus is called an ANGEL in verse 4.
- Jacob made supplication unto HIM. He found him in Beth-el and there he spake with US.
What does it mean by “US” there at the end of verse 4?
- It’s talking about the plural GOD. God is 3 in 1. People will always try to explain away the PLURAL GOD.
- JACOB spake with US! It’s right there in that verse and the US is GOD and the US is plural.
- How do we know it’s GOD when it says US? Verse 5 gives you the answer.
- It says: “Even the LORD GOD of HOSTS.” That’s the US. Jacob spoke with US. He spoke with GOD.
- JACOB wrestled with ONE PERSON, Jesus Christ, the ANGEL OF THE LORD. But He spoke with “US.”
So far, to summarize: we know that ANGELS are MESSENGERS of GOD.
- We know that JESUS is THE angel of the Lord.
- We also know that HUMANS who have lived on this Earth are ANGELS.
- We know that these HUMAN angels appear here in this life to people as strangers.
- We’ve seen them all throughout the Bible.
- And some of us might have stories in our life of strangers that may have been angels.
- Then, we know that there are living creatures that aren’t human that are angels.
- I want to show you some Scripture for these living creatures who are NOT human and are angels.
 2 Peter 2:4 For if God spared not the angels that sinned, but cast them down to hell, and delivered them into chains of darkness, to be reserved unto judgment;
- This verse is not talking about human angels. It’s talking about the NON-HUMAN angels who are spirits.
- The angels in heaven that are non-human are MINISTERING SPIRITS the Bible says.
- And that’s who that verse right there is talking about. You have evil spirits in this world.
 2 Peter 2:11 Whereas angels, which are greater in power and might, bring not railing accusation against them before the Lord.
- These angels are GREATER in POWER and MIGHT.
- God created these angels and gave them power and might.
- But not all of them did as HE asked them to do.
 Jude 6 And the angels which kept not their first estate, but left their own habitation, he hath reserved in everlasting chains under darkness unto the judgment of the great day.
- So these angels in the last 3 verses are NOT HUMAN ANGELS.
- What are they exactly if they aren’t human?
- And we’ve talked about this before when we studied the Book of Revelation but let’s learn more today.
- These angels are called CHERUBIMS and SERAPHIMS. That’s the names given to them in the Bible.
Cherubims And Seraphims Are Angels
And some people will teach that Cherubims and Seraphims are not angels.
- Some people will say that they are BEASTS or LIVING CREATURES.
- And that’s true but they are also ANGELS. The Bible says they are angels when you compare SCRIPTURE.
- The first time the word Cherubim is used is in Genesis 3:24 and Seraphim is used in Isaiah 6:2.
- But, let’s look at Genesis 3:24 first.
 Genesis 3:24 So he drove out the man; and he placed at the east of the garden of Eden Cherubims, and a flaming sword which turned every way, to keep the way of the tree of life.
- God placed CHERUBIMS at the east of the garden of Eden to keep the way of the tree of life.
- The Bible NEVER says God destroyed or removed the tree of life. There are CHERUBIMS guarding the tree.
- They didn’t go away. And remember, these CHERUBIMS are living creatures that are not HUMAN.
- They are ministering SPIRITS. They are not HUMAN and they are not FLESH and BLOOD as we are.
- In Revelation Chapter 9, we learn about 4 CHERUBIMS.
- These 4 Cherubims are bound under the water in the Euphrates River. They are there TODAY.
- The garden of Eden is in that same area of the Euphrates River.
- So, I believe these 4 CHERUBIMS in the Euphrates are the same ones talked about in Genesis 3:24.
 Revelation 9:14-15 Saying to the sixth angel which had the trumpet, Loose the four angels which are bound in the great river Euphrates. 15 And the four angels were loosed, which were prepared for an hour, and a day, and a month, and a year, for to slay the third part of men.
- And notice that they’re called ANGELS in Revelation and Cherubims in Genesis.
- And you could argue that connection isn’t related, but I believe that it is.
- ANGELS are ministering SPIRITS. That means there are ANGELS all around that you don’t see.
- Do you remember the story of Balaam when he was riding out and his donkey talked to him?
- The donkey wouldn’t move because it could see the ANGEL OF THE LORD in front. It was scared.
- Balaam couldn’t see the ANGEL OF THE LORD until the LORD opened Balaam’s eyes.
 Numbers 22:31 Then the LORD opened the eyes of Balaam, and he saw the angel of the LORD standing in the way, and his sword drawn in his hand: and he bowed down his head, and fell flat on his face.
- Do you remember the story of Elisha in 2 Kings when him and his servant are surrounded by horses and chariots?
- I love that story and this particular SCRIPTURE. Open your eyes and see this today.
- Open your ears and hear this today. God and HIS ANGELS are all around us today.
 2 Kings 6:15-17 And when the servant of the man of God was risen early, and gone forth, behold, an host compassed the city both with horses and chariots. And his servant said unto him, Alas, my master! how shall we do? 16 And he answered, Fear not: for they that be with us are more than they that be with them. 17 And Elisha prayed, and said, LORD, I pray thee, open his eyes, that he may see. And the LORD opened the eyes of the young man; and he saw: and, behold, the mountain was full of horses and chariots of fire round about Elisha.
- There’s physical eye sight and spiritual eye sight. God gives that vision when it’s needed.
- So remember, the angels are ministering spirits for us. Guardian angels exist SPIRITUALLY for you.
- The angels we’re talking about are not human. They are spirits.
The Living Creatures Have Wings And Fly
And then we see that angels are flying in the Bible. And they’re flying by using WINGS.
- The human angels that we see in the Bible don’t have wings or they wouldn’t be mistaken as HUMANS.
- The non-human SPIRIT angels do have wings. Cherubims and Seraphims have WINGS.
 Psalm 18:10 And he rode upon a cherub, and did fly: yea, he did fly upon the wings of the wind.
 Luke 16:22 And it came to pass, that the beggar died, and was carried by the angels into Abraham’s bosom: the rich man also died, and was buried;
 Matthew 24:31 And he shall send his angels with a great sound of a trumpet, and they shall gather together his elect from the four winds, from one end of heaven to the other.
- So, these angels who are spirits who are cherubims and seraphims are flying with wings.
- The beggar was carried into Abraham’s bosom in heaven where Abraham is located.
- At the RAPTURE, the angels will gather together the ELECT using their wings.
 Revelation 8:13 And I beheld, and heard an angel flying through the midst of heaven, saying with a loud voice, Woe, woe, woe, to the inhabiters of the earth by reason of the other voices of the trumpet of the three angels, which are yet to sound!
 Revelation 14:6 And I saw another angel fly in the midst of heaven, having the everlasting gospel to preach unto them that dwell on the earth, and to every nation, and kindred, and tongue, and people,
- In Revelation, John sees these angels flying. How are they flying? With their wings.
- Which angels have wings? The CHERUBIMS and SERAPHIMS.
- Does that make sense? Some people say cherubims and seraphims aren’t angels but they are.
- They are spiritual beings that we don’t see unless GOD opens our eyes to see.
The Bible gives us tons of information on Cherubims and Seraphims.
- The word cherub is found 21 times in the Bible. Cherubims is found 57 times.
- Many of the instances of the word cherubim is talking about them for the ark of the covenant.
- The word Seraphims is found twice in the entire Bible.
- But the description of Seraphims then points us to additional SCRIPTURE that talks about them.
- So, there’s all types of information on them from the TRUTH, the Bible. We don’t need anything else.
- The truth about angels is all within the Bible. And cherubims and seraphims don’t look like the world says.
- Most people draw this false god CUPID and we think that’s what CHERUB’S look like.
- God’s cherubims don’t look like FAT NAKED BABIES at all. That’s false and it’s based on a FALSE GOD.
- So remember that when you place those in your homes or around your homes.
Here’s What Cherubims Look Like
What do Cherubims look like according to the Bible?
- The book of Ezekiel has amazing descriptions of the CHERUBIMS.
- And you’ll find that they are called LIVING CREATURES and then later Ezekiel calls them CHERUBIMS.
 Ezekiel 1:5-9 Also out of the midst thereof came the likeness of four living creatures. And this was their appearance; they had the likeness of a man. 6 And every one had four faces, and every one had four wings. 7 And their feet were straight feet; and the sole of their feet was like the sole of a calf’s foot: and they sparkled like the colour of burnished brass. 8 And they had the hands of a man under their wings on their four sides; and they four had their faces and their wings. 9 Their wings were joined one to another; they turned not when they went; they went every one straight forward.
- I won’t read all of the Scripture on Cherubims today, but I’ll leave that with you to study.
- CHERUBIMS have the likeness of man, but they clearly are not man.
- The differences are they have 4 faces. We have 1. They have 4 wings. We have ZERO.
- They have straight feet like the sole of a calf’s foot. We have human feet.
- They sparkle like BRASS. We don’t sparkle unless we cover ourselves with glitter.
- They have hands under their wings on four sides. We have 2 arms and 2 hands.
- So, there’s a HUGE difference. They aren’t human. We are human.
- The likeness of a man means they are in the general shape of a man with differences.
 Ezekiel 1:10 As for the likeness of their faces, they four had the face of a man, and the face of a lion, on the right side: and they four had the face of an ox on the left side; they four also had the face of an eagle.
- So, these are cherubims with FOUR different faces.
- The face of a man, the face of a lion, the face of an ox, and the face of an eagle.
- They are called living creatures here, but in Revelation they are called BEASTS.
- So you have 2 types of these beasts or living creatures: CHERUBIMS and SERAPHIMS.
- We just talked about the CHERUBIMS. Now, let’s look at the SERAPHIMS Scripture.
 Isaiah 6:1-2 In the year that king Uzziah died I saw also the Lord sitting upon a throne, high and lifted up, and his train filled the temple. 2 Above it stood the seraphims: each one had six wings; with twain he covered his face, and with twain he covered his feet, and with twain he did fly.
- You can see here that the SERAPHIMS are above the throne of the LORD.
- Each one had 6 wings. With 2 of the wings, HE DID FLY.
 Isaiah 6:3 And one cried unto another, and said, Holy, holy, holy, is the LORD of hosts: the whole earth is full of his glory.
- And that right there matches the description EXACTLY of the BEASTS we see in the Book of Revelation.
- They are in the midst of the throne of GOD. They have 6 wings. They cry HOLY, HOLY, HOLY.
 Revelation 4:6-8 And before the throne there was a sea of glass like unto crystal: and in the midst of the throne, and round about the throne, were four beasts full of eyes before and behind. 7 And the first beast was like a lion, and the second beast like a calf, and the third beast had a face as a man, and the fourth beast was like a flying eagle. 8 And the four beasts had each of them six wings about him; and they were full of eyes within: and they rest not day and night, saying, Holy, holy, holy, Lord God Almighty, which was, and is, and is to come.
- So we know the BEASTS mentioned here in Revelation Chapter 4 are Seraphims.
- The Seraphims have different faces. One is like a lion, like a calf, like a man, like a flying eagle.
- We see six wings there. Full of eyes. They never rest. They are crying HOLY, HOLY, HOLY.
Satan Is A Fallen Angel = Cherub
I want to take some time here before we finish today to talk about Satan.
- He is a fallen angel. He is a CHERUB. That means he is a living creature or BEAST. He is a spirit.
- Demons are fallen angels. They are spirits.
- The Book of Ezekiel Chapter 28 tells us that Satan is a CHERUB.
 Ezekiel 28:11-12 Moreover the word of the LORD came unto me, saying, 12 Son of man, take up a lamentation upon the king of Tyrus, and say unto him, Thus saith the Lord GOD; Thou sealest up the sum, full of wisdom, and perfect in beauty.
- Some people will say that this is talking about the KING OF TYRUS only.
- But this is comparing the King of Tyrus to SATAN because he’s evil.
- If it were the King of Tyrus only, the next verse wouldn’t make any sense at all. Watch this.
 Ezekiel 28:13 Thou hast been in Eden the garden of God; every precious stone was thy covering, the sardius, topaz, and the diamond, the beryl, the onyx, and the jasper, the sapphire, the emerald, and the carbuncle, and gold: the workmanship of thy tabrets and of thy pipes was prepared in thee in the day that thou wast created.
- “THOU HAST BEEN IN EDED THE GARDEN OF GOD.” We know that’s not the King of Tyrus. That’s SATAN.
- The King of Tyrus was an ancient and powerful man that thought he was God. Many of the kings did that.
- Satan does the same thing. Satan claims to be God and imitates God in everything.
 Isaiah 14:14 I will ascend above the heights of the clouds; I will be like the most High.
- That verse in Isaiah is talking about Satan. He will be LIKE the MOST HIGH.
- Now, watch what it says about Satan here as we continue in Ezekiel Chapter 28.
 Ezekiel 28:14-15 Thou art the anointed cherub that covereth; and I have set thee so: thou wast upon the holy mountain of God; thou hast walked up and down in the midst of the stones of fire. 15 Thou wast perfect in thy ways from the day that thou wast created, till iniquity was found in thee.
- SATAN is the anointed CHERUB. He was perfect until iniquity was found within him.
- This verse calls SATAN a CHERUB. That’s what you need to see today.
 Ezekiel 28:16 By the multitude of thy merchandise they have filled the midst of thee with violence, and thou hast sinned: therefore I will cast thee as profane out of the mountain of God: and I will destroy thee, O covering cherub, from the midst of the stones of fire.
- And again, it calls SATAN a covering CHERUB.
 Ezekiel 28:17-18 Thine heart was lifted up because of thy beauty, thou hast corrupted thy wisdom by reason of thy brightness: I will cast thee to the ground, I will lay thee before kings, that they may behold thee. 18 Thou hast defiled thy sanctuaries by the multitude of thine iniquities, by the iniquity of thy traffick; therefore will I bring forth a fire from the midst of thee, it shall devour thee, and I will bring thee to ashes upon the earth in the sight of all them that behold thee.
- Notice it says in verse 18 that “Thou hast defiled THY SANCTUARIES.”
- Satan has HIS SANCTUARIES and his places of worship. It’s all the churches who have false gods.
- It’s not just the Buddhists, Muslims, Hindu. It’s the Catholics, JUDAISM, and more. It’s all around us.
- But remember, in the end, SATAN and all HIS PEOPLE will be destroyed. That’s for sure.
One Of The Faces Of A Cherub = Calf
This is good to know today that Satan is a CHERUB. And one of the faces of a CHERUB is a calf.
- And remember, people who worship a false god in the Bible love to make a GOLDEN CALF.
- Aaron makes them a golden calf.
- Hindu’s worship their SACRED CALF images. There’s over a billion HINDUS in this world.
- Wall Street in New York City has a golden calf.
- Did you ever think about what people mean when they say, “HOLY COW, look at that!!!”
- Wealth in the Old Testament was attributed to CATTLE.
- The love of money is the root of all evil. And it’s related to a calf.
- And a golden calf is even more related to money and evil.
In conclusion, we’ve learned a lot about ANGELS in the Bible today.
- We know that JESUS is “THE” Angel of the Lord.
- We know that there are strangers that are human angels that we might see in this life.
- We know that are CHERUBIMS and SERAPHIMS that are ministering spirits that are not human.
- We know that Satan is a fallen angel who is a cherub.
- We know that there are other fallen angels who are demons and are spirits.
- We know that there are guardian angels that are spirits that we do not see.
- There is a HUGE army of fallen evil angels BUT God has a GIGANTIC army HIMSELF.
So, I hope this sermon today has opened your eyes to ANGELS in the Bible.
- Now, when you read the Bible, watch for these occurrences of angels.
- See what type of angel is there in the Scripture.
- Thank you God for opening our eyes to this today.
- And understand today that God has AMAZING things in store for you and I.
 1 Corinthians 2:9 But as it is written, Eye hath not seen, nor ear heard, neither have entered into the heart of man, the things which God hath prepared for them that love him.
- In other words, you have no idea what GOD has in store for you.
- It’s going to be amazing. One day, you’ll see that SPIRIT WORLD that is all around you.