The title of the sermon today is “DANIEL CHAPTER 4.”
The Book Of Daniel = 12 Chapters
- Daniel has 12 total chapters. Not 11 chapters. It has 12.
- Today, we’re going to go over Daniel Chapter 4 verse by verse.
- Chapters 1 through 4 deal with the reign of King Nebuchadnezzar.
- So, we’re on the last chapter that deals with Nebuchadnezzar’s reign over Babylon.
Quick overview of the Bible so you can see where we are in the Book of Daniel:
- Adam, Eve, Cain, and Abel. Cain kills Abel. Adam and Eve have Seth.
- Leading up to the flood the inhabitants of the earth have become wicked.
- Flood happens. Noah and his family is saved.
- Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob. The sons of Jacob or Israel are 12. You have the 12 tribes of Israel.
- These are the people God has chosen to bring and spread the word of God to ALL PEOPLE.
- Joseph, one of Jacob’s 12 sons, goes to Egypt. He is sold into Egypt.
- He becomes a great ruler under Pharaoh in Egypt.
- Jacob and all his family moves closer to Joseph in the land of Egypt.
Moses is born and raised up to lead the children of Israel out of Egypt.
- They leave Egypt. They go into the wilderness. They are led into the promised land.
- Joshua leads them into the promised land over the river.
- They fight for their land and take some of the land but not all.
- Then come the Judges. The children of Israel didn’t destroy the evil men out of the land.
- They mixed in and didn’t follow God. God brought other nations to rule over them.
- They called out to God for help. God raised up Judges or leaders to help them.
- Then they had peace. Did the same thing over and over again. Fell away from God every time.
Then we see the people wanting a King to rule over them. They didn’t like God’s way.
- King Saul is raised up. He doesn’t do what he’s supposed to do.
- King David is the next King over the children of Israel. He expands the Kingdom.
- King Solomon is next. He ends up falling away from God and worshipping other gods.
- God splits the children of Israel into 2 kingdoms. ISRAEL in the North and JUDAH in the South.
- You now have 2 sets of Kings for each KINGDOM.
- The kings in the Northern Kingdom of Judah do evil. ALL OF THEM. The Assyrians conquer Israel.
The Kingdom Of Judah Lasts Longer
Judah has some kings that are good and some that are bad. So the kingdom of Judah lasts longer.
- But they’re conquered by Babylon and some JEWS from JUDAH are carried away into captivity.
- King Nebuchadnezzar is the KING THAT CONQUERS JUDAH.
- God gives Judah into his hand as a punishment to JUDAH for not following HIM.
- Daniel is a young man when all of that happens. He’s taken into captivity in Babylon.
- But Daniel stays true to God his entire life. His story is in the Book of Daniel.
- So now, let’s start there in Daniel Chapter 4 and hear the last chapter about King Nebuchadnezzar’s reign.
 Daniel 4:1 Nebuchadnezzar the king, unto all people, nations, and languages, that dwell in all the earth; Peace be multiplied unto you.
- In this introduction, we see that KING NEBUCHADNEZZAR is writing to who?
- It says: “UNTO ALL PEOPLE, ALL NATIONS, ALL LANGUAGES.”
- The king is writing to ALL people who dwell in the earth.
- This means HIS WORDS were being interpreted into all these other tongues or languages.
- And we are reading it in ENGLISH today. His words were preserved for us.
- Why? So we can learn from HIS STORY today. We can see what happened to him and why.
“Peace be multiplied unto you” is seen right there at the end of verse 1.
- This sounds like the New Testament letters from Peter and Paul.
 2 Peter 1:2 Grace and peace be multiplied unto you through the knowledge of God, and of Jesus our Lord,
- We’re going to see that verses 1 through 3 in Daniel Chapter 4 are an introduction.
- KING NEBUCHADNEZZAR is telling us HIS STORY in this Chapter. And it’s very important to understand.
- See if you think King Nebuchadnezzar is saved as we read through this Chapter.
- He’s telling us this story from his past and what he was like in his past.
 Daniel 4:2 I thought it good to shew the signs and wonders that the high God hath wrought toward me.
- Why is King Nebuchadnezzar writing to us today? The purpose of his letter is right there.
- He says, “I thought it good to SHOW THE SIGNS AND WONDERS that God hath wrought or performed toward me.”
- God showed King Nebuchadnezzar great signs and wonders for a reason.
- The things that God does ALWAYS is for a profit in this world. He does things for a reason.
- The king didn’t seek after these signs and wonders. GOD CHOSE TO SHOW THEM TO HIM.
Don’t Seek After Signs
Don’t seek after SIGNS from God. We all want a sign from God. Don’t seek after signs.
- Let me show you why today.
 Matthew 12:39-40 But he answered and said unto them, An evil and adulterous generation seeketh after a sign; and there shall no sign be given to it, but the sign of the prophet Jonas: 40 For as Jonas was three days and three nights in the whale’s belly; so shall the Son of man be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth.
- Jesus HIMSELF says the only sign you NEED is the sign of JESUS dying on the cross.
- His soul went to hell. Jesus went to hell in the heart of the earth for you. He died for your sins.
- That’s the only sign you need to know. Don’t seek after signs from God.
 Matthew 24:24 For there shall arise false Christs, and false prophets, and shall shew great signs and wonders; insomuch that, if it were possible, they shall deceive the very elect.
- Jesus warns us that in the times we’re living today that FALSE SAVIORS and FALSE PREACHERS will show GREAT SIGNS AND WONDERS.
- Don’t be deceived by those. If you get into this habit of seeking after signs, you can fall for false teaching.
- Speaking in BABBLE is not a sign from God that you’re SAVED.
You don’t need a SIGN FROM GOD to know that you’re saved.
- Why seek after a sign like speaking in BABBLE to know that you’re saved?
- The Bible tells you that you’re saved so do you trust GOD’S WORD?
- Or, do you trust what some false religion says? If you trust the religion over God, you’re not saved.
- Why? Because you’re putting your trust in something else other than GOD.
 1 John 5:13 These things have I written unto you that believe on the name of the Son of God; that ye may know that ye have eternal life, and that ye may believe on the name of the Son of God.
- God said it. Believe it. It’s over and done. You don’t need anything else. You don’t need a sign.
- Don’t seek after a sign and then maybe God might show you AMAZING THINGS.
- But usually He’s showing signs and wonders to people who don’t believe. And they still don’t believe.
- King Nebuchadnezzar is one example of this.
- He shows him signs and wonders, and he continues to do what he wants.
- Don’t fall for SIGNS and WONDERS in this day and age.
- JESUS warns us about this in Matthew 24, which should ring a bell. It’s about the end of the world.
- We use Matthew Chapter 24 constantly when studying the Book of Revelation.
 Daniel 4:3 How great are his signs! and how mighty are his wonders! his kingdom is an everlasting kingdom, and his dominion is from generation to generation.
- So look there. It appears that when King Nebuchadnezzar is telling his story that HE’S SAVED.
- We don’t know for sure, but he tells us that GOD’S KINGDOM is an EVERLASTING KINGDOM.
- His dominion is from generation to generation.
- So these first 3 verses are an introduction AFTER all of the rest of the chapter happened.
- Now, let’s get into King Nebuchadnezzar’s story of what happened to him in the past.
- You’re going to see God teach this great king a lesson. And it appears that the king learned his lesson.
 Daniel 4:4-5 I Nebuchadnezzar was at rest in mine house, and flourishing in my palace: 5 I saw a dream which made me afraid, and the thoughts upon my bed and the visions of my head troubled me.
- So he’s resting in his house, doing very well in his palace. All is well and going great.
- This happens in our lives when we’re not doing right and when we don’t know God.
- Life can be much easier when you just go along with the world and don’t cause any problems.
- “Oh yeah, drugs are fine. Public schools are doing their best. It’s okay to feel like you’re a woman when you’re man. Yes, abortion is the woman’s right. We don’t want to make the woman mad. The baby can’t say anything back to us. Let’s just make everyone happy and agree with everything.”
Nothing Good Comes From Lying About God
“Well, the churches around here are doing good. They’re trying to help people by teaching a false god.”
- “it’s okay. It’s not really that bad.” So yeah, let’s just go along with everything so life is easy and good.
- See? That makes life much easier. Everyone will like you. Everyone will say good things about you.
- But look, I don’t care what everyone else thinks about me and you shouldn’t either.
- What you should care about is whether or not God likes you.
Are you for GOD or against GOD?
- You can’t be friends with the world and with God.
- And you might be thinking: “Well, yes I can. I can be friends with God and the world.”
- And I say, “No you can’t!!!” How do I know that? Because the Bible tells me so.
 James 4:4 Ye adulterers and adulteresses, know ye not that the friendship of the world is enmity with God? whosoever therefore will be a friend of the world is the enemy of God.
- So, today, do you want to be an enemy of the world or an enemy of God?
- Surely all that are here right now are pretty smart people. You’re here listening.
- Surely you’ll choose to be friends with God and not the world.
- All of these wicked things in the world today ARE NOT OKAY. God isn’t happy with wickedness.
- Drugs are evil. Alcohol is evil. Fornication is evil.
- Public schools without GOD are evil. Homosexuals are evil. Transgenders are evil.
- False preaching is evil. False religions are evil. False gods are evil. SAY SOMETHING. Stand up for God.
So, King Nebuchadnezzar is doing well in his palace, and then he has a dream.
- This dream scares him. The dream troubles him.
- And look, he’s had dreams like this before. Daniel interpreted his dream in Daniel Chapter 2.
- King Nebuchadnezzar tried to BURN Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego in the fiery furnace in Chapter 3.
- He saw the SON OF GOD walking around in the fiery furnace.
- What’s it going to take for King Nebuchadnezzar to PUT ALL HIS TRUST in GOD ALMIGHTY?
- He knows God is there, he believes God is there, but that doesn’t mean he’s saved. Watch what happens.
 Daniel 4:6-7 Therefore made I a decree to bring in all the wise men of Babylon before me, that they might make known unto me the interpretation of the dream. 7 Then came in the magicians, the astrologers, the Chaldeans, and the soothsayers: and I told the dream before them; but they did not make known unto me the interpretation thereof.
- He has this dream that troubles him. He wants to know what it means.
- What’s he do? Instead of calling Daniel, he looks to all the false trash like the magicians and astrologers.
- That’s like going to a Tarot card reader instead of going to God. Don’t seek after those evil people.
- Yeah, they might tell you something that comes true. There’s evil working in this world.
- They will show signs and wonders. Remember what we just read from Jesus in Matthew 24?
- God is control of all things. Why go to someone else? Do you think God wants you going to some fortune teller or witch or Tarot card reader or anything like that? Let’s see what the Bible says.
 Deuteronomy 18:10-12 There shall not be found among you any one that maketh his son or his daughter to pass through the fire, or that useth divination, or an observer of times, or an enchanter, or a witch, 11 Or a charmer, or a consulter with familiar spirits, or a wizard, or a necromancer. 12 For all that do these things are an abomination unto the LORD: and because of these abominations the LORD thy God doth drive them out from before thee.
 Exodus 22:18 Thou shalt not suffer a witch to live.
- Why is that? Because witchcraft is evil. It’s sick. It’s greatly HATED by God Almighty.
- God has proven to King Nebuchadnezzar that HE IS GOD and yet he still seeks these other evil people.
- He should have went straight to God through the prophet Daniel. He’s proven himself over and over.
- NONE of those magicians or soothsayers could interpret the dream.
 Daniel 4:8-9 But at the last Daniel came in before me, whose name was Belteshazzar, according to the name of my god, and in whom is the spirit of the holy gods: and before him I told the dream, saying, 9 O Belteshazzar, master of the magicians, because I know that the spirit of the holy gods is in thee, and no secret troubleth thee, tell me the visions of my dream that I have seen, and the interpretation thereof.
- At this time, King Nebuchadnezzar is obviously NOT SAVED. He seeks Daniel AFTER he first seeks the evil.
- King Nebuchadnezzar says right there: “Belteshazzar, according to the NAME OF MY GOD.”
- He had changed Daniel’s name to BELTESHAZZAR. What’s that name start with? “BEL” or “BAAL.”
 Numbers 22:41 And it came to pass on the morrow, that Balak took Balaam, and brought him up into the high places of Baal, that thence he might see the utmost part of the people.
 Judges 2:12-14 And they forsook the LORD God of their fathers, which brought them out of the land of Egypt, and followed other gods, of the gods of the people that were round about them, and bowed themselves unto them, and provoked the LORD to anger. 13 And they forsook the LORD, and served Baal and Ashtaroth. 14 And the anger of the LORD was hot against Israel, and he delivered them into the hands of spoilers that spoiled them, and he sold them into the hands of their enemies round about, so that they could not any longer stand before their enemies.
King Nebuchadnezzar Worships A False God
- Obviously, Nebuchadnezzar is doing the same thing. He worships a false god.
- In verse 8 of Daniel Chapter 4, we see him say that Daniel has the spirit of the holy gods. PLURAL.
- He calls Daniel a “MASTER OF THE MAGICIANS.” But Daniel isn’t a magician.
- People might call you things in this world, but what really matters is what God calls you.
- The king knows that Daniel will tell him everything he needs to know. Why not go there first?
 Daniel 4:10-12 Thus were the visions of mine head in my bed; I saw, and behold a tree in the midst of the earth, and the height thereof was great. 11 The tree grew, and was strong, and the height thereof reached unto heaven, and the sight thereof to the end of all the earth: 12 The leaves thereof were fair, and the fruit thereof much, and in it was meat for all: the beasts of the field had shadow under it, and the fowls of the heaven dwelt in the boughs thereof, and all flesh was fed of it.
- King Nebuchadnezzar is still speaking here. He’s telling Daniel what he saw.
- So keep in mind, Daniel comes into see the king. He is telling Daniel his dream.
 Daniel 4:13 I saw in the visions of my head upon my bed, and, behold, a watcher and an holy one came down from heaven;
- Someone that comes down from heaven is called a watcher or a holy one.
- This could be an angel, either a man or a living creature. It’s someone from heaven who watches.
- God is watching over us. The angels are ministering spirits to us who watch over us.
- Watch what this WATCHER AND HOLY ONE says in the next verse in HIS DREAM.
 Daniel 4:14 He cried aloud, and said thus, Hew down the tree, and cut off his branches, shake off his leaves, and scatter his fruit: let the beasts get away from under it, and the fowls from his branches:
- Notice that he cries out and says, “HEW DOWN THE TREE AND CUT OFF HIS BRANCHES.”
- Shake of HIS leaves. Scatter HIS fruit. HIS BRANCHES. Sounds like the tree refers to a HIM.
God Won’t Completely Destroy King Nebuchadnezzar
 Daniel 4:15 Nevertheless leave the stump of his roots in the earth, even with a band of iron and brass, in the tender grass of the field; and let it be wet with the dew of heaven, and let his portion be with the beasts in the grass of the earth:
- So God isn’t going to completely destroy King Nebuchadnezzar and his kingdom.
- Leaving the roots means he’s going to have another chance.
- He isn’t going to get rejected by God, but God will punish him to show him HE IS GOD.
 Job 14:7-9 For there is hope of a tree, if it be cut down, that it will sprout again, and that the tender branch thereof will not cease. 8 Though the root thereof wax old in the earth, and the stock thereof die in the ground; 9 Yet through the scent of water it will bud, and bring forth boughs like a plant.
- God isn’t FULLY REJECTING the king here.
- He’s going to show him something and give him another chance.
- God is going to send him to live with the beasts day and night.
 Daniel 4:16 Let his heart be changed from man’s, and let a beast’s heart be given unto him; and let seven times pass over him.
- This watcher is still speaking here. The king’s heart is going to be changed from man to animal.
- And then it tells us it’s going to be like that for 7 times.
- God hardens the heart of people. He did it to Pharaoh.
 Isaiah 6:10-12 Make the heart of this people fat, and make their ears heavy, and shut their eyes; lest they see with their eyes, and hear with their ears, and understand with their heart, and convert, and be healed. 11 Then said I, Lord, how long? And he answered, Until the cities be wasted without inhabitant, and the houses without man, and the land be utterly desolate, 12 And the LORD have removed men far away, and there be a great forsaking in the midst of the land.
- God hardens the hearts of people there in ISAIAH. Why? Because they wouldn’t have any part in HIM.
- God showed King Nebuchadnezzar the truth over and over again, and he still had a false god.
- God brings people to the truth, and then they REJECT HIM over and over again.
- Those people should be careful, though, because one day GOD just might REJECT THEM.
 Hebrews 6:4-6 For it is impossible for those who were once enlightened, and have tasted of the heavenly gift, and were made partakers of the Holy Ghost, 5 And have tasted the good word of God, and the powers of the world to come, 6 If they shall fall away, to renew them again unto repentance; seeing they crucify to themselves the Son of God afresh, and put him to an open shame.
- The Scripture right there is talking about people who now understand the truth about God.
- You’ve given them the Gospel, they understand the Gospel, a light bulb goes off in their head.
- They understand. The Holy Spirit has brought them to this place of understanding.
- Now they have a choice to accept the truth or not. They’ve tasted the word of God.
- They understand how to be saved. But they reject it. They say, “Well, I’ll have to think about this.”
“Well, I Have To Think About This”
And then they walk back in their home, watch TV, and continue on with their easy life of making themselves happy.
- Verse 6 says that if they fall away now it will be IMPOSSIBLE to renew them AGAIN to repentance.
- They were almost there. They almost CHANGED THEIR MIND and believed on the Lord Jesus Christ.
- Every time they do this they REJECT JESUS CHRIST who died for them.
- They crucify Jesus Christ once again and put HIM to an open shame. He gets tired of being rejected.
- Do it one too many times, and it could be too late. GOD DOES REJECT people.
- When He does this, their part is taken out of the book of life. It doesn’t come back. They can’t be saved.
- And King Nebuchadnezzar was playing it close but God was giving him another shot.
 Hebrews 6:7-8 For the earth which drinketh in the rain that cometh oft upon it, and bringeth forth herbs meet for them by whom it is dressed, receiveth blessing from God: 8 But that which beareth thorns and briers is rejected, and is nigh unto cursing; whose end is to be burned.
- Do you see the word REJECTED there? REJECTED. Whose end is to be burned.
 Jeremiah 6:19 Hear, O earth: behold, I will bring evil upon this people, even the fruit of their thoughts, because they have not hearkened unto my words, nor to my law, but rejected it.
- Reject what God says, and what’s He say He’ll do within the Bible? He’ll reject you.
- He will bring EVIL upon you.
 Jeremiah 6:30 Reprobate silver shall men call them, because the LORD hath rejected them.
- Does God accept everyone no matter what like all the churches around here say?
- Sure doesn’t look like it to me. Old Testament and New Testament agree.
- He’s not different in the New Testament.
 Hosea 4:6 My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge: because thou hast rejected knowledge, I will also reject thee, that thou shalt be no priest to me: seeing thou hast forgotten the law of thy God, I will also forget thy children.
- Reject God, and He’ll reject you and your children. “Well, that’s not fair.”
- Well, maybe you should think about NOT rejecting God.
 Hebrews 12:17 For ye know how that afterward, when he would have inherited the blessing, he was rejected: for he found no place of repentance, though he sought it carefully with tears.
- That verse right there is talking about Esau. He pushed it too far. He tried to go back to God but couldn’t.
- It says right there that HE WAS REJECTED even though he sought it carefully with tears.
- Everyone tries to change those words. They try to change the nature of God.
- They create a new god that fits them better.
- So God rejects people. He rejected Esau. It all makes sense.
 Malachi 1:2-3 I have loved you, saith the LORD. Yet ye say, Wherein hast thou loved us? Was not Esau Jacob’s brother? saith the LORD: yet I loved Jacob, 3 And I hated Esau, and laid his mountains and his heritage waste for the dragons of the wilderness.
 Romans 9:13 As it is written, Jacob have I loved, but Esau have I hated.
- So again, when you speak to people who aren’t saved, understand they may be rejected.
- And understand if they aren’t, you being there might just be their last chance.
- Or maybe their second to last chance or third to last chance.
- They can be rejected or reprobate.
 Romans 1:28 And even as they did not like to retain God in their knowledge, God gave them over to a reprobate mind, to do those things which are not convenient;
- God gives up on people. It’s in the Bible over and over again. He rejects people who reject Him.
- He doesn’t give people unlimited chances to accept HIM.
- God gives up on people for good when He throws them into hell for eternity.
- And there is no excuse the Bible says. He gives everyone the opportunity to accept HIM.
- So, we see King Nebuchadnezzar getting another chance in Daniel Chapter 4.
 Daniel 4:16 Let his heart be changed from man’s, and let a beast’s heart be given unto him; and let seven times pass over him.
- God is temporarily changing the heart of Nebuchadnezzar into the heart of a beast.
- How long is he going to stay like that? Let’s see. It says: “LET SEVEN TIMES PASS OVER HIM.”
 Daniel 7:25 And he shall speak great words against the most High, and shall wear out the saints of the most High, and think to change times and laws: and they shall be given into his hand until a time and times and the dividing of time.
- Do you see time, times, and the dividing of time? TIME = 1 year. TIMES = 2 years. That’s 3 years so far.
- Then you see the dividing of time. 1/2 time = 1/2 year. Total is 3.5 years in Daniel 7:25.
- But what’s Daniel 7:25 talking about and how do we know it’s in years?
 Revelation 11:2 But the court which is without the temple leave out, and measure it not; for it is given unto the Gentiles: and the holy city shall they tread under foot forty and two months.
- 42 months is 3.5 years or a time, times, and the dividing of time.
- King Nebuchadnezzar is in the wilderness as a BEAST for 7 years.
- It’s a picture of the Anti-Christ who is the BEAST in the Book of Revelation.
- And the Anti-Christ will be there in the end for 7 years. That’s called Daniel’s 70th week.
- King Nebuchadnezzar is the King of Babylon. In Revelation, we see Babylon.
- So again, King Nebuchadnezzar is turned into a beast for 7 years.
 Daniel 4:17 This matter is by the decree of the watchers, and the demand by the word of the holy ones: to the intent that the living may know that the most High ruleth in the kingdom of men, and giveth it to whomsoever he will, and setteth up over it the basest of men.
- Why is this going to be done to King Nebuchadnezzar?
- It says it right there in verse 17: “That the living may know that the MOST HIGH ruleth in the kingdom of men.”
God Rules Everywhere
- God doesn’t just rule in heaven. He rules HERE on earth too. He gives the kingdom of men to whoever He wants. God will give it to the lowest of men or the BASEST of men.
- In other words, God can put horrible rulers over us if we want to go up against Him.
- He does it all throughout the Bible. God repays good with good and evil with evil.
 Deuteronomy 7:9-10 Know therefore that the LORD thy God, he is God, the faithful God, which keepeth covenant and mercy with them that love him and keep his commandments to a thousand generations; 10 And repayeth them that hate him to their face, to destroy them: he will not be slack to him that hateth him, he will repay him to his face.
- And He’s going to show King Nebuchadnezzar he was only ruling because God put him there to rule.
- He didn’t do it all on his own. God gave it to him. God can take it away.
 Job 9:12 Behold, he taketh away, who can hinder him? who will say unto him, What doest thou?
- If God decides to take away, what are you going to do? Are you going to question God Almighty?
- No, of course not. HE’S GOD. And King Nebuchadnezzar is going to have to wake up and understand.
 Daniel 4:18 This dream I king Nebuchadnezzar have seen. Now thou, O Belteshazzar, declare the interpretation thereof, forasmuch as all the wise men of my kingdom are not able to make known unto me the interpretation: but thou art able; for the spirit of the holy gods is in thee.
- Again, the king makes reference to the spirit of the holy gods. He’s talking about multiple gods which is false.
- At this point in his story, he doesn’t realize that there’s ONLY ONE GOD.
- He thinks it’s okay to have multiple gods or to believe in all different types of gods.
- That’s what our world today says. Respect all religions and beliefs. That’s King Nebuchadnezzar.
- No!!! I won’t respect all religions. I will ONLY respect the ONE TRUE GOD in this BIBLE.
- At the end of verse 18, the king is finished talking to Daniel.
- Now he wants the interpretation of the dream.
 Daniel 4:19 Then Daniel, whose name was Belteshazzar, was astonied for one hour, and his thoughts troubled him. The king spake, and said, Belteshazzar, let not the dream, or the interpretation thereof, trouble thee. Belteshazzar answered and said, My lord, the dream be to them that hate thee, and the interpretation thereof to thine enemies.
- Daniel was astonished for ONE HOUR. The king saw that he was troubled.
- He tells Daniel to not worry. Just tell me the interpretation.
- You can see that Daniel still works for the king and gives him respect.
- He may have a false god, but God set him over the kingdom for a reason.
- He says, “My lord I would rather this dream be to those who hate thee.”
- In other words, it’s not good. The interpretation of the dream starts there in verse 20.
 Daniel 4:20-21 The tree that thou sawest, which grew, and was strong, whose height reached unto the heaven, and the sight thereof to all the earth; 21 Whose leaves were fair, and the fruit thereof much, and in it was meat for all; under which the beasts of the field dwelt, and upon whose branches the fowls of the heaven had their habitation:
- So Daniel repeats the dream that the king had.
 Daniel 4:22 It is thou, O king, that art grown and become strong: for thy greatness is grown, and reacheth unto heaven, and thy dominion to the end of the earth.
- So this is where we learn that the TREE in the dream is KING NEBUCHADNEZZAR.
- He’s grown strong. He is a great king with a great kingdom over all the earth.
 Daniel 4:23-24 And whereas the king saw a watcher and an holy one coming down from heaven, and saying, Hew the tree down, and destroy it; yet leave the stump of the roots thereof in the earth, even with a band of iron and brass, in the tender grass of the field; and let it be wet with the dew of heaven, and let his portion be with the beasts of the field, till seven times pass over him; 24 This is the interpretation, O king, and this is the decree of the most High, which is come upon my lord the king:
- We see that God isn’t going to destroy the king completely. He’s doing it temporarily.
- He’s going to go out and live with the beasts of the field for 7 years.
- Let’s get more details of what’s going to happen to the king.
 Daniel 4:25 That they shall drive thee from men, and thy dwelling shall be with the beasts of the field, and they shall make thee to eat grass as oxen, and they shall wet thee with the dew of heaven, and seven times shall pass over thee, till thou know that the most High ruleth in the kingdom of men, and giveth it to whomsoever he will.
- He’s going to live out with the beasts of the field. He’s going to eat grass.
- This will happen UNTIL he understand that GOD RULES THE KINGDOM OF MEN.
- And GOD gives the KINGDOM OF MEN to whoever He wants.
- He’s teaching the king a lesson. There is ONLY ONE TRUE GOD.
Daniel Was A Prophet So Of Course He Preached
- Daniel has been around the king. You don’t think Daniel preached the Gospel to the king?
- Of course he did. Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego were also rulers for the king along with Daniel.
- The king had heard plenty about the ONE TRUE GOD, and he rejected it over and over again.
- He would still choose to call in the magicians and sorcerers FIRST instead of Daniel.
 Daniel 4:26 And whereas they commanded to leave the stump of the tree roots; thy kingdom shall be sure unto thee, after that thou shalt have known that the heavens do rule.
- Even though the king will go out into the wilderness for 7 years, GOD won’t take the kingdom away.
- After the 7 years, the king will KNOW that the GOD IN HEAVEN rules over all.
 Daniel 4:27 Wherefore, O king, let my counsel be acceptable unto thee, and break off thy sins by righteousness, and thine iniquities by shewing mercy to the poor; if it may be a lengthening of thy tranquillity.
- Daniel ends by saying, “Please king let my counsel be acceptable to you.”
- And what’s his counsel? That’s Daniels’ advice and instruction to the King. What is it?
- He tells the king to STOP YOUR SINS. Stop thinking that you’re so righteous.
- Show mercy to the poor. Stop being prideful and arrogant. Why?
- “If it may be a lengthening of thy tranquility.” OR LENGTHEN YOUR PEACE AND PROSPERITY.
- If not, this dream is going to happen. Daniel preached against sin!!! This dream is a warning to the king.
- And it’s a warning to us today. That’s why it’s here in this BIBLE.
- Did the king listen to Daniel? Did this dream really bother the king? Does this bother you today?
- Nah, doesn’t bother you? It didn’t really bother the king either. THIS IS THE WORD OF GOD.
- We better listen. Why? Watch what happens.
 Daniel 4:28 All this came upon the king Nebuchadnezzar.
- The king must have not listened BECAUSE it all happened just like Daniel said.
 Daniel 4:29-30 At the end of twelve months he walked in the palace of the kingdom of Babylon. 30 The king spake, and said, Is not this great Babylon, that I have built for the house of the kingdom by the might of my power, and for the honour of my majesty?
- Notice he says, “THIS GREAT BABYLON THAT I HAVE BUILT.”
- He says, “I DID THIS WITH MY MIGHT AND MY POWER.”
- He’s very prideful, and Daniel warned him about this sin.
 Psalm 10:4 The wicked, through the pride of his countenance, will not seek after God: God is not in all his thoughts.
- Why do the wicked not seek after God? THE PRIDE OF HIMSELF. “I’m so great. I don’t need God.”
- That’s what King Nebuchadnezzar was doing exactly.
 Proverbs 8:13 The fear of the LORD is to hate evil: pride, and arrogancy, and the evil way, and the froward mouth, do I hate.
- PRIDE and arrogancy is evil. We definitely better not be prideful and arrogant in ANY WAY.
- Why? Because God hates it and will bring you down. He will humble you.
- That’s what He’s about to do to King Nebuchadnezzar.
 Proverbs 16:18 Pride goeth before destruction, and an haughty spirit before a fall.
- PRIDE always occurs before destruction. If you feel prideful, get rid of it quickly.
- Don’t have PRIDE in things. “Hey, I’m proud of you.” We need to stop saying that. Pride isn’t a good thing.
 1 Timothy 3:6 Not a novice, lest being lifted up with pride he fall into the condemnation of the devil.
- This is talking about the office of a bishop or church leader.
- They can’t be a novice. A novice will be lifted up with PRIDE.
- When that happens, he will fall into the condemnation of the devil.
- THEN COMES DESTRUCTION IN THIS LIFE. You don’t want that.
 1 John 2:16 For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh, and the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life, is not of the Father, but is of the world.
- Let’s get rid of the pride and understand it’s GOD ALONE who has the power.
- God gets all the glory. Let’s get rid of the pride.
- Let’s humble ourselves before God.
 James 4:6 But he giveth more grace. Wherefore he saith, God resisteth the proud, but giveth grace unto the humble.
- Do you know who wasn’t lifted up with pride EVEN THOUGH He is God?
God Is Not Prideful As He Hates Pride And Arrogancy
 Philippians 2:6-8 Who, being in the form of God, thought it not robbery to be equal with God: 7 But made himself of no reputation, and took upon him the form of a servant, and was made in the likeness of men: 8 And being found in fashion as a man, he humbled himself, and became obedient unto death, even the death of the cross.
- GOD IS NOT PRIDEFUL. He hates pride and arrogancy.
- If Jesus were prideful, he wouldn’t have came to the cross and died for you.
 James 4:10 Humble yourselves in the sight of the Lord, and he shall lift you up.
- He wants us to be humble. Don’t be all high and mighty. THEN HE SHALL LIFT YOU UP.
- So, King Nebuchadnezzar is about to be humbled.
 Daniel 4:31 While the word was in the king’s mouth, there fell a voice from heaven, saying, O king Nebuchadnezzar, to thee it is spoken; The kingdom is departed from thee.
- While the King was speaking on how great he was, a voice comes from heaven.
- “THE KINGDOM IS DEPARTED FROM THEE.” I love how God does things. His ways are perfect.
- This voice from heaven keeps going in verse 32.
 Daniel 4:32 And they shall drive thee from men, and thy dwelling shall be with the beasts of the field: they shall make thee to eat grass as oxen, and seven times shall pass over thee, until thou know that the most High ruleth in the kingdom of men, and giveth it to whomsoever he will.
- The voice from heaven repeats what we already know is going to happen.
- And the voice tells us again that it will be done so the King knows GOD IS RULING OVER HIM.
 Daniel 4:33 The same hour was the thing fulfilled upon Nebuchadnezzar: and he was driven from men, and did eat grass as oxen, and his body was wet with the dew of heaven, till his hairs were grown like eagles’ feathers, and his nails like birds’ claws.
- So this happened immediately within the same hour that it was spoken from heaven.
- He became like an animal, acted like an animal, and lived with the animals.
- He lived out with the animals for 7 years.
 Daniel 4:34 And at the end of the days I Nebuchadnezzar lifted up mine eyes unto heaven, and mine understanding returned unto me, and I blessed the most High, and I praised and honoured him that liveth for ever, whose dominion is an everlasting dominion, and his kingdom is from generation to generation:
- The king FINALLY lifts up his eyes to heaven.
- Are you going to lift up your eyes to heaven and finally realize that GOD is there?
- He’s ruling this earth and the heavens. He has all the power.
- When He tells us to do something in here, we better do it.
- If not, we think we know better than God. That’s pride. Then cometh destruction the Bible says.
- The king’s understanding comes back. He becomes like a human again.
HE BLESSES AND PRAISES THE GOD THAT LIVES FOREVER AND EVER.
- Now, do you think the king is saved? I do, but it doesn’t say it for sure.
- He realized he’s there now. He could have rejected him again, but he didn’t this time.
- God humbled the king. It was a punishment. But he took it, woke up, and praised God.
- And then watch what King Nebuchadnezzar says in verse 35.
We Are Nothing Compared To God Almighty
 Daniel 4:35 And all the inhabitants of the earth are reputed as nothing: and he doeth according to his will in the army of heaven, and among the inhabitants of the earth: and none can stay his hand, or say unto him, What doest thou?
- We are like nothing compared to God. God does what He wants, and it’s always good.
- He does what He wants in heaven, and He does what He wants on earth.
- Satan has no power over God at all. Satan has no power over Jesus at all. Satan has no power over the Holy Spirit at all.
- That’s why we need GOD at all times.
- NO ONE can stand up to God. That’s why you need God on your side.
- Humble yourself and watch what happens.
 Daniel 4:36 At the same time my reason returned unto me; and for the glory of my kingdom, mine honour and brightness returned unto me; and my counsellers and my lords sought unto me; and I was established in my kingdom, and excellent majesty was added unto me.
- The king is accepted back as king in the kingdom of Babylon.
- His honor returned. His brightness returned. His counselors and lords sought him once again.
- He was established in his kingdom once again and majesty was added to him.
- He turned to God. He gave HIM HONOR AND PRAISE.
 Daniel 4:37 Now I Nebuchadnezzar praise and extol and honour the King of heaven, all whose works are truth, and his ways judgment: and those that walk in pride he is able to abase.
- King Nebuchadnezzar RAISED GOD to HIS rightful place.
- He realized he was walking in pride. He realized who was in control of all things.
 Ecclesiastes 8:4 Where the word of a king is, there is power: and who may say unto him, What doest thou?
- This BIBLE is the word of THE KING – not just a KING, THE KING.
- This Bible has POWER. That’s why we need to read it.
- That’s why we need to study it. We need to understand what the KING wants.
 Revelation 17:14 These shall make war with the Lamb, and the Lamb shall overcome them: for he is Lord of lords, and King of kings: and they that are with him are called, and chosen, and faithful.
- Be chosen and faithful today. FAITH ALONE saves you FOREVER.
- Know that JESUS is the LAMB who was slain for you. He took it for you.
 Revelation 19:16 And he hath on his vesture and on his thigh a name written, KING OF KINGS, AND LORD OF LORDS.
- That’s our KING right there. THE LORD JESUS CHRIST.
- He’s the only one that can save you. Put all your trust in HIM to save you and you’re saved.
- It’s over. It’s done.