- Sermon Slides for Sermon Faith Without Works Is Dead: Slides
- Printable PDF for Sermon Faith Without Works Is Dead: PDF
 The title of the sermon today is “FAITH WITHOUT WORKS IS DEAD.”
What Does “Faith Without Works Is Dead” Really Mean?
- You’re going to want to turn to James Chapter 2 as we’ll be looking at that chapter in detail.
- Today, I want to talk about FAITH and WORKS. “Faith without works is dead.” Is that true?
- Oh yes, that’s true. The Bible says FAITH WITHOUT WORKS IS DEAD. But what does that mean?
All around us today there’s this FALSE GOSPEL being taught that you MUST have good works to be saved.
- They say, “You MUST have good works to be saved and go to heaven.”
- The false preachers say, “If you’re saved, you will have good works to go along with your faith.”
- They say: “100% you will have good works IF you have faith.”
- The false preachers will say that “Good works PROVE that you’re saved.”
And I say: “SHOW ME WHERE THE BIBLE SAYS ANY OF THAT.”
- And guess what? They can’t show me ONE SCRIPTURE that says any of that.
- Now, they can twist Scripture. They can take it out of context.
- They can tell you certain verses say something they don’t.
- All you have to do is look at the verses, read the whole chapter, and read the whole book.
- You’ll see that what they’re saying is false.
- So, what are we going to do today? We’re going to prove that what they say is false.
- How are we going to do that? We’re going to use THE TRUTH, THE BIBLE.
 John 17:17 Sanctify them through thy truth: thy word is truth.
- If you haven’t noticed through my sermons, I’m trying to show you how to study the Bible.
- I want you to see that all the answers you need are within the Bible.
- You don’t need me to tell you what’s right and wrong. Why do I say that?
- Because the Bible says so. You don’t need me to teach you.
- And that’s the point we all need to get to so all of you can start teaching everyone around you.
Before we get started on FAITH WITHOUT WORKS IS DEAD, I want you to see this from the Bible.
- When false preachers say that YOU MUST HAVE GOOD WORKS to be saved, they are liars.
- The entire Bible teaches the exact opposite of that.
- From front to back, God says you need FAITH to be saved. You don’t need works to be saved.
- So, these false preachers who preach another Gospel, they are seducing you the Bible says.
 1 John 2:26 These things have I written unto you concerning them that seduce you.
- In 1 John Chapter 2, he’s writing to us concerning those FALSE PREACHERS who seduce you.
- They’re deceiving you. They’re leading you in the wrong direction.
- Why are people led in the wrong direction? It’s very simple. They don’t know the Bible.
- Watch what the very next verse says in 1 John Chapter 2 verse 27.
 1 John 2:27 But the anointing which ye have received of him abideth in you, and ye need not that any man teach you: but as the same anointing teacheth you of all things, and is truth, and is no lie, and even as it hath taught you, ye shall abide in him.
- If you have ever BELIEVED on the Lord Jesus Christ, then you’re saved.
- If you have ever put all your trust and confidence on HIM, then you’re saved.
- If you don’t trust in YOUR WORKS to save but know that it’s JESUS CHRIST who saves, then you’re saved.
- If you’ve always thought that it’s your works in any way that saves you, then you’re not saved.
Do you see that verse on the screen right there?
- It’s telling you that you have the anointing of the HOLY GHOST.
- You have the indwelling of the HOLY GHOST. You have the Spirit of Christ within you.
- He abides within you. And what do you see in that verse?
- “YE NEED NOT THAT ANY MAN TEACH YOU.”
Church Is Important Because We Learn Here
We come together in church to learn and study the Bible together.
- But you need to know the Bible on your own. You just don’t know it without working.
- You have to work for it. STUDY TO SHEW THYSELF APPROVED the Bible says.
- The Bible says you should be a WORKMAN when it comes to studying the Bible.
- If you haven’t been doing that, it’s time to change that. It’s time to get to work.
- Why? So we can all help each other. So we can all make sure we’re going the right direction.
- As a church, we’re supposed to be together, work together, learn together.
- We need to check what’s being said, what’s being taught. It’s time to JUDGE what’s being said.
So, why in the world would God send us the Holy Spirit?
- Hey, we need it more than anything in today’s world with all these false churches and false preachers.
- We need the indwelling of the Holy Spirit. Why is that?
- So we don’t fall for any false preaching. That’s why we need it.
- If a church teaches you MUST have works of any type to be saved, you need to get out of there.
- That’s a false church, false religion, false preacher. Get out.
It doesn’t matter if you’ve been there 60 years. Wow, that’s a GREAT accomplishment (sarcasm)!!!
- Who cares how long you’ve been there? What’s that going to get you in hell?
- It’s nothing. NO LOYALTY TO ANY MAN. People have this FALSE BELIEF that they MUST be loyal.
- You should ONLY HAVE LOYALTY TO GOD!!! We better wake up around here.
- To get started today, let’s read in James Chapter 2 starting in verse 14.
 James 2:14 What doth it profit, my brethren, though a man say he hath faith, and have not works? can faith save him?
- Before we go any further, I want to explain what’s happened in the Book of James to this point.
- James is writing this book to CHRISTIANS. He calls them BRETHREN over and over again.
- He’s writing to ANY ONE in the 12 tribes that are scattered abroad who are SAVED.
- So again, he’s already talking to CHRISTIANS who are saved.
- By definition, a CHRISTIAN is ANYONE who is saved. And that’s PAST TENSE.
It’s not somebody that’s working and enduring to the end to see if they’ll be saved by God in the end.
- That’s not a CHRISTIAN. A CHRISTIAN is one who is already saved by the BLOOD OF JESUS CHRIST.
- A CHRISTIAN is one who already knows that they’re saved, has eternal life, and can’t lose eternal life.
- You have all these false churches around here today calling themselves CHRISTIANS.
- Well, you can know today, that JAMES is writing to CHRISTIANS who know they’re saved.
And James is writing to these people to REBUKE them because of several reasons.
- He’s giving them advice up until Chapter 2 verse 6 when he says this:
- I’m going to move back to verse 5 and read verse 5 and 6 together.
 James 2:5-7 Hearken, my beloved brethren, Hath not God chosen the poor of this world rich in faith, and heirs of the kingdom which he hath promised to them that love him? 6 But ye have despised the poor. Do not rich men oppress you, and draw you before the judgment seats? 7 Do not they blaspheme that worthy name by the which ye are called?
- He says in verse 6, “BUT YE HAVE DESPISED THE POOR.”
- God has chosen the poor of this world who are rich in faith and love God.
- These people in JAMES have chosen to despise the poor and choose the rich.
- And James says, “THE RICH MEN OPPRESS YOU!!!” The rich men BLASPHEME the name of God.
- Then James says this in verse 8.
 James 2:8-9 If ye fulfil the royal law according to the scripture, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself, ye do well: 9 But if ye have respect to persons, ye commit sin, and are convinced of the law as transgressors.
- If you fulfill the law according to SCRIPTURE, that means you’re obeying God.
- That means you’re following the commandments of God.
- When you do that, you automatically fulfill the command “LOVE THY NEIGHBOR AS THYSELF.”
- Why? Because you’re not stealing from them, you’re not lying to them, you’re not murdering them.
Following God’s Commandments = Doing Good To Others
When you follow God’s commandments, you’re always doing good to others.
- And your definition of good might not be the same as God’s definition of good.
- For example, it’s good to put a murderer to death. It’s good to put a rapist to death.
- It’s good to put a kidnapper to death the Bible says. Why? Because it’s best for everyone else around.
- So these people James is writing to have been respecting persons.
- They choose the rich and ignore the poor. So now you know a little background on the book of James.
 James 2:14 What doth it profit, my brethren, though a man say he hath faith, and have not works? can faith save him?
- Now, did you know that people take that verse and base their entire religion on that verse?
- They do. The question isn’t even answered. They don’t try to understand the verse.
- So, let’s look at this verse very closely.
- “WHAT DOTH IT PROFIT” is right there at the beginning.
- So, obviously, we’re talking about PROFITING. Is this helping anyone to be better or get better?
- Is this PROFITING anyone? Well, what is he talking about? Let’s see.
“Though a man SAY he hath faith.” So a man SAYS that he has faith. Do we know that he has faith?
- It doesn’t say that the man has faith. He’s saying that HE HAS FAITH.
- Let’s take me for an example. I’m telling you right now that I have faith.
- Then the verse says: “Though a man say he hath faith and have not works.”
- So I’m telling you I have faith but then I just sit at home and don’t do anything.
- I don’t preach, I don’t study the Bible, I don’t get baptized, I don’t go to church.
- Is MY FAITH helping anyone? Is MY FAITH growing? Is MY FAITH increasing?
- I don’t have ANY WORKS, but I have faith. I’ve changed my mind and believe on God to save me.
CAN FAITH SAVE ME? That’s what James asks right there at the end of verse 14.
- I don’t have anything else to go with my faith, but I HAVE FAITH.
- Is that going to save me? YES!!! Of course Faith is going to save me.
- Jesus HIMSELF, who is THE AUTHORITY, who is the SAVIOR HIMSELF says:
- WHOSOEVER BELEIVETH ON ME HATH ETERNAL LIFE.
- So what is faith? BELIEVING ON THE LORD JESUS CHRIST.
- Once you do that, you HAVE ETERNAL LIFE.
- And that’s not one verse in the Bible, that’s not one chapter in the Bible.
- That’s the whole Bible from start to finish that says FAITH ALONE SAVES.
You Must Have Good Works To Be Saved???
False preachers take that verse and say: “See, you MUST have works to be saved.”
- Is that what that verse says? I sure don’t see it there.
- THE BIBLE NEVER SAYS YOU MUST HAVE GOOD WORKS TO BE SAVED.
- It says the opposite of that over and over and over again. It’s crystal clear on that point.
 Ephesians 2:8-9 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: 9 Not of works, lest any man should boast.
 Romans 9:11 (For the children being not yet born, neither having done any good or evil, that the purpose of God according to election might stand, not of works, but of him that calleth;)
 Romans 4:4-5 Now to him that worketh is the reward not reckoned of grace, but of debt. 5 But to him that worketh not, but believeth on him that justifieth the ungodly, his faith is counted for righteousness.
- Now that I’m saved, should I go home, sit there, and do nothing to increase my faith?
- NO!!! That’s not obeying God. He tells me to get to work. He commands me to preach the Gospel.
- If I don’t do everything He says, which I don’t, will He take my eternal life away and send me to hell.
- NO!!! If He did, not one person would be saved because NONE OF US obey God 100% of the time.
- Let’s continue in James Chapter 2 verse 15.
 James 2:15-16 If a brother or sister be naked, and destitute of daily food, 16 And one of you say unto them, Depart in peace, be ye warmed and filled; notwithstanding ye give them not those things which are needful to the body; what doth it profit?
- So, you have a brother or sister in CHRIST. That’s a SAVED person who needs help.
- They don’t have clothing and they don’t have food to eat.
- They come to me and I tell them to “DEPART IN PEACE.” I don’t give them clothing or food.
- I don’t warm them up with clothing and fill them with food.
- Remember, these Christians in the Book of James weren’t helping the poor. They loved the rich, though.
James says right there: “Ye give them NOT those things which are needful to the body.”
- What does it profit them? Remember we’re talking about FAITH WITHOUT WORKS.
- What does FAITH WITHOUT WORKS profit anyone?
- If you don’t give them clothing and feed them, it’s not profiting them at all.
- They need help. I tell them to depart. What does that help? They are brothers and sisters in CHRIST.
- James tells this story as an example of FAITH WITHOUT WORKS not profiting anyone.
 James 2:17 Even so faith, if it hath not works, is dead, being alone.
- If my faith doesn’t have WORKS to go along with it, my faith is dead BEING ALONE.
- So, what is my faith if I don’t do any good works to go along with my faith?
- Does that verse say that my faith doesn’t exist at all?
- No, it says that MY FAITH IS DEAD. It does not say that my faith DOESN’T EXIST.
- So, this is VERY IMPORTANT to see today.
- You have to see the EXACT WORDS and stop listening to false preaching.
Faith Without Works Obviously Exists
So, according to the Bible in James 2:17, can FAITH WITHOUT WORKS exist?
- Yes, it exists and it’s very obvious.
- Some days I have faith and don’t have any good works to go along with it.
- That verse tells you that FAITH WITHOUT WORKS exists. If it didn’t exist, the verse wouldn’t mention it.
- Do you see what I’m saying? It says, “FAITH, IF IT HATH NOT WORKS.”
- So obviously, it exists or the Holy Spirit wouldn’t give us this example.
- You can have faith WITHOUT works.
False preachers say that you can’t be saved or have faith unless good works are shown.
- They say that the proof of you being saved is your good works.
- The Bible doesn’t that anywhere. I don’t need proof that I’m saved from anyone in this world.
- I don’t need a preacher to look at me and the works I’m doing and tell me that I’m saved.
- How do I know I’m saved? Because I’ve put ALL my trust and confidence on JESUS.
- He is MY SAVIOR. I am not going to save myself with my good works. It’s got to be Jesus or nothing.
- The Bible tells me that I can BE SURE that I’m saved. And that assurance doesn’t come through works.
 2 Timothy 3:14-15 But continue thou in the things which thou hast learned and hast been assured of, knowing of whom thou hast learned them; 15 And that from a child thou hast known the holy scriptures, which are able to make thee wise unto salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus.
- SALVATION is through FAITH which is in Christ Jesus. It never comes through MY WORKS.
- Once you have faith, you’re saved. Then, you should do good works.
- But you’re already saved before you do any good works. Your faith happened. You’re saved.
- You can be sure of that WITHOUT doing any good works.
 1 Thessalonians 1:5 For our gospel came not unto you in word only, but also in power, and in the Holy Ghost, and in much assurance; as ye know what manner of men we were among you for your sake.
- Notice what that verse says and HOW POWERFUL that verse is right there.
- “Our gospel came not unto you in WORD ONLY, but also in POWER.”
- It came to you in the HOLY GHOST. “AND IN MUCH ASSURANCE.”
- You are assured of salvation. The GOSPEL has the power to save you. That’s powerful!!!
- The Gospel includes the assurance that you’re saved by FAITH ALONE. Not of works.
If you aren’t sure you’re going to heaven, you haven’t put all your faith on Jesus.
- Jesus says you can be sure. Jesus says He keeps your salvation. Jesus says, “I give you eternal life.”
- Jesus says, “No man can pluck you out of my hand.” That includes yourself.
- Going back to faith without works is dead.
- The verse doesn’t say, “Faith without works doesn’t exist.”
“You Must Do Good Works To Be Saved” = False Preacher
False preachers says YOU MUST DO GOOD WORKS to be saved.
- What did the thief on the cross next to Jesus do before he died?
- He got saved right there on the cross that day with Jesus right there beside him.
- I can’t wait to meet that thief one day because I’m glad he’s there in the Bible.
- That thief taught us that you don’t need to be baptized to be saved.
- That thief taught us that you don’t have to have good works to be saved.
- That thief taught us that it’s FAITH ALONE that saves and it happens FAST.
It’s a quick change of mind to believing on Jesus. It takes a split second to be saved.
- It doesn’t take a LIFETIME full of good works to earn your way to heaven. That’s not good news.
- Those false religions with work based salvations like the Catholics, Church of Christ, Southern Baptist, Oneness Pentecostals GET ANGRY because they’ve been so good all their life.
- When someone like the thief who has been bad all his life GETS SALVATION in a moment without doing all of those same GREAT WORKS, it makes them mad.
They say: “Well, that thief doesn’t deserve like I deserve it. Look at all the great things I’ve done in my life.”
- “I deserve a lot more than those people who didn’t do anything but change their mind.”
- “That’s ridiculous they say.” No, the ridiculous thing is they pretend to represent God in those false churches and then they ignore everything MY LORD AND SAVIOR JESUS CHRIST says.
- Stop blaspheming the name of God and adding WORKS to salvation.
- That’s why they HATE people who are saved. We’re not good people.
- In their opinion, they are MUCH better than us. We’ve messed up. They haven’t. They’re great people.
- But yet, we go to heaven and they don’t. Why? Because they haven’t trusted Jesus.
- They trust themselves. They trust their works.
 Matthew 7:21-23 Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven. 22 Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works? 23 And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.
- Jesus HIMSELF is speaking right there. You can call HIM LORD, LORD all you want.
- But is HE truly your SAVIOR. In that SCRIPTURE right there, you see the people who trust in their works.
- That’s just like the false religions and false churches around here. That’s just like the Pharisees.
- That’s just like the Catholics, the Church of Christ, the Southern Baptists, the Oneness Pentecostals.
- “Jesus, we did all these wonderful works in your name. We’ve been so good all our life. We deserve this.”
- And what does Jesus say? “I NEVER KNEW YOU!!! DEPART FROM ME YE THAT WORK INIQUITY.”
So, look you can use the name of Jesus all you want. It’s not going to get you into heaven.
- You aren’t doing good works unless you do them in FAITH., which is in JESUS CHRIST.
- And you aren’t in JESUS CHRIST unless you’ve put ALL YOUR TRUST on HIM and nothing on yourself.
- You don’t’ deserve to go to heaven. You don’t deserve to be saved. You aren’t a good person.
- There’s none good but God. Jesus HIMSELF says that.
- What does Jesus call the wonderful works that these people do at the end of verse 23 right there?
- “YE THAT WORK INIQUITY.” That’s the opposite of good.
Why are their works no good? Why are their works evil? Why does Jesus tell them to get away?
- Because they are sending people to hell. They are teaching a false Gospel.
- They are teaching a works based salvation.
- Any time you add ANY WORK to salvation, then you’re trusting on yourself to do that work.
- “Once I do this wonderful work, then I will be worthy to go to heaven.”
- Hey, listen, you will NEVER be worthy to enter into heaven through ANY WORK you do.
- Jesus did all the work you need to enter into heaven. HIS SACRIFICE is all the work needed to save you.
- You don’t need to add ANYTHING to that to save you from hell. It’s finished. It’s done.
- It’s a FREE GIFT from God. Just take it. Trust on Jesus. Back to FAITH WITHOUT WORKS IS DEAD.
Do you have good works to go with your faith every day all day long? If so, WOW, you’re amazing!!!
- Some people think they’re amazing. Me? I’m not amazing. I mess up every day. I’m not good.
- I don’t have good works all day every day. I want to do good every day. But I mess up.
 Romans 7:19 For the good that I would I do not: but the evil which I would not, that I do.
- I’m not better than the APOSTLE PAUL in Romans Chapter 7.
- I’m not doing good all the time. And I know you don’t either because the Bible tells me so.
- If you have FAITH without any good works, then your FAITH IS DEAD.
- It’s not growing. It’s just stagnant. It’s not profiting anyone. It’s not helping anyone. It’s dead.
- Can it be revived? Of course it can! It’s faith on the Lord Jesus Christ.
“Faith Is Dead” = You Lost Your Salvation???
Think about what these FALSE PREACHERS are teaching. We had one of them at our last church.
- I asked him directly in his office. He tells me that faith is dead and you lost your salvation.
- So, they say that you had faith but now it’s dead and now you’ve lost salvation.
- In other words, when you don’t do good works, you lose your salvation.
- You do something good and then you get it back. It makes no sense with the ENTIRE BIBLE.
- King Saul would be in hell, but the Bible tells us that he is in heaven with Samuel.
- I wouldn’t even be able to keep up each day if I’m saved or if I’m going to hell.
- “Uh oh, bad thought, going to hell. Better get it back. Uh oh, bad thought while repenting of my sin.”
- “Better ask God to forgive me again. Shew, got it back.”
- “Uh oh, I forgot to repent of the sin that I did yesterday.”
Just wait until they find out all of the sin they were doing ignorantly.
- There’s sin in our life we don’t even realize is sin. Uh oh, you just lost your salvation.
- In other words, these false preachers SPIT IN THE FACE OF JESUS. They MOCK HIS sacrifice.
- The are just like the JEWS with their false religion who KILLED the Lord Jesus Christ.
- They need to wake up and actually open their eyes to what they’re preaching. It’s HERESY.
Now, I want to go back to James Chapter 2 and continue in verse 18.
- And I want you to see what the false preachers can’t understand today about FAITH WITHOUT WORKS.
- I want you to see every single word. We have to slow down and see the words.
- We can’t add to the words, we can’t take away from the words.
 James 2:18 Yea, a man may say, Thou hast faith, and I have works: shew me thy faith without thy works, and I will shew thee my faith by my works.
- When you first read this, it might be confusing. But slow down, and it’s very clear.
- I’m going to say to you EXACTLY what this verse is saying.
- “Hey, you have faith. I have works. Since you faith, show me your faith.”
- How are you going to show me your faith without physically doing something?
- You would just sit there, and you can’t show me your faith. I can’t see your faith.
- You CAN’T SHOW ME YOUR FAITH without doing some physical work to show me.
You might look at me today and say that “I KNOW JOSH HAS FAITH. I CAN JUST TELL HE HAS FAITH.”
- How is that? It’s because I’m up here working and preaching about it.
- If I just sat up here and looked at you and never said anything, you wouldn’t know.
- I’m up here telling you that I believe on the Lord Jesus Christ. I’m showing you my faith by my works.
- I can’t show you any other way because you can’t see my faith without my works showing you.
At the end of verse 18, it says: “I WILL SHEW THEE MY FAITH BY MY WORKS.”
- If you were going to show me your faith right now, you would have to show me through works.
- That’s the only way you can show me your faith.
 James 2:19 Thou believest that there is one God; thou doest well: the devils also believe, and tremble.
- Believing there is one God isn’t enough to save you.
- There are people everywhere who believe in a God.
- The devils within the Bible believed in Jesus.
 Matthew 8:28-29 And when he was come to the other side into the country of the Gergesenes, there met him two possessed with devils, coming out of the tombs, exceeding fierce, so that no man might pass by that way. 29 And, behold, they cried out, saying, What have we to do with thee, Jesus, thou Son of God? art thou come hither to torment us before the time?
- Believing in God doesn’t save you. “Well, I believe there’s a God.” Doesn’t save you.
- It’s believing in HIM and on HIM to save you. He must be YOUR SAVIOR.
 James 2:20 But wilt thou know, O vain man, that faith without works is dead?
- Some people turn this around and say, “See, I have faith. I’m saved. I don’t need to do anything.”
- That’s lazy. That’s vain. God wants us to get to work. Do you think He wants us to not do anything?
- No, He gave HIS SAVED PEOPLE a responsibility to get out there and STAND UP FOR HIM.
- He wants people saved. He’ll do His part. We need to do ours. But it doesn’t save us.
- But it will profit others and it will profit us when we do what God says.
 James 2:21 Was not Abraham our father justified by works, when he had offered Isaac his son upon the altar?
- So now, the false preachers will take this verse and twist it all around.
- They will say, “SEE!!! Abraham was justified by works when he had offered Isaac his son upon the altar.”
- They say, “This MUST mean that we MUST do good works to be justified and to be saved.”
- But wait a second because there’s a parallel passage in the Book of Romans that explains this perfectly.
- Keep in mind that Abraham was already saved before he offered his son upon the altar.
- Before I go to Romans, let’s read that verse right there, JAMES 2:21, one more time.
- Notice it says “Abraham our father JUSTIFIED by works.”
Jusitfication In Front Of God Does Not Equal Good Works
So keep in mind, you can be justified in front of God and in front of man.
- Remember what we talked about. I can only justify my FAITH to you through my works.
- But God doesn’t need me to justify myself to HIM through my works. He can see my faith.
 Romans 4:2 For if Abraham were justified by works, he hath whereof to glory; but not before God.
- Abraham was justified by works before MAN but not before God. Your works don’t justify you before God.
- Now, I want to read you the other verses around Romans 4:2. Watch this.
 Romans 3:28 Therefore we conclude that a man is justified by faith without the deeds of the law.
- That’s pretty easy to understand. The deeds of the law are GOOD WORKS.
- You’re justified by FAITH ALONE. That’s what that verse says. Justified to who? TO GOD.
- Faith doesn’t justify you in front of man because you can’t see it.
- Your faith ALONE doesn’t profit anyone else. Add works to your faith and you help others.
- I could say, “Hey, I’m saved. I’m going to heaven. Forget the rest of you.” That’s not good.
- Would I go to heaven? I would if I was saved. If I truly believed on Jesus, I would go to heaven.
- Does it take anything else to get to heaven? No, it doesn’t.
But how does God get people to do good works for Him?
- The only way is through FAITH. That’s GOD’S DESIGN to get us to do good works.
- We believe what He says. We know we’re saved. We’re thankful to Him. We want to do what He says.
- We fear Him. We understand what He can do to us. We understand He’s a GOOD FATHER.
- We understand that He’ll punish us. We do what He says THROUGH FAITH.
- He establishes His law through FAITH.
 Romans 4:1-4 What shall we say then that Abraham our father, as pertaining to the flesh, hath found? 2 For if Abraham were justified by works, he hath whereof to glory; but not before God. 3 For what saith the scripture? Abraham believed God, and it was counted unto him for righteousness. 4 Now to him that worketh is the reward not reckoned of grace, but of debt.
- James Chapter 2 is clearly taking about being justified to your fellow man.
- Works do not justify you before God. NO MAN CAN BOAST ABOUT HIS WORKS BEFORE GOD.
Romans Chapter 4 And James Chapter 2 Does Not Contradict
Some false preachers will take James Chapter 2 and say that the Bible contradicts itself in Romans Chapter 4.
- When we think there’s a contradiction it’s because we don’t understand what the Bible is saying.
- We have to slow down, look at the words, compare Scripture with Scripture, and get it right.
- When you get it right, it will make sense with ALL OTHER SCRIPTURE. Let’s continue.
 James 2:22 Seest thou how faith wrought with his works, and by works was faith made perfect?
- When you first believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, you have this tiny little bit of faith.
- And that tiny little bit of faith SAVES YOU because FAITH is powerful.
- Once you have FAITH, you’re saved. If you lose faith, you’re saved. It’s a new birth.
- But FAITH WITH WORKS, will increase your faith because they’re done through JESUS CHRIST.
- They aren’t done of yourself. You’re not doing everything and gaining all this credit on your own.
- GOD IS WORKING THROUGH YOU. Do you understand that? Same thing with Abraham.
Faith with works will increase your faith.
- Does reading the Bible and studying the Bible take work? Yes, it does. It takes time and hard work.
- How do you increase your faith?
 Romans 10:17 So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.
- Increase your faith through the works that you do for God through HIM.
 James 2:23 And the scripture was fulfilled which saith, Abraham believed God, and it was imputed unto him for righteousness: and he was called the Friend of God.
- Abraham obviously offered Isaac on the altar after Isaac was born, right?
- We need to know the order of the Bible so we can understand James Chapter 2.
- When was Abraham saved? It was long before Isaac was offered on the altar.
- James 2:23 comes from Genesis Chapter 15. Abraham offers Isaac on the altar in Genesis Chapter 22.
- So, let’s see the Scripture that James 2:23 is talking about in Genesis Chapter 15.
 Genesis 15:1-3 After these things the word of the LORD came unto Abram in a vision, saying, Fear not, Abram: I am thy shield, and thy exceeding great reward. 2 And Abram said, Lord GOD, what wilt thou give me, seeing I go childless, and the steward of my house is this Eliezer of Damascus? 3 And Abram said, Behold, to me thou hast given no seed: and, lo, one born in my house is mine heir.
 Genesis 15:4-6 And, behold, the word of the LORD came unto him, saying, This shall not be thine heir; but he that shall come forth out of thine own bowels shall be thine heir. 5 And he brought him forth abroad, and said, Look now toward heaven, and tell the stars, if thou be able to number them: and he said unto him, So shall thy seed be. 6 And he believed in the LORD; and he counted it to him for righteousness.
- Abraham was childless. He had no children at all. God tells Abram that he will have children.
- God said to Abraham, “Look toward heaven. Look up, Abraham. Look at the stars.”
- “Can you number the stars, Abraham? SO SHALL THY SEED BE, ABRAHAM.”
- Abraham could have not believed the word of God. But He chose to believe what GOD said.
- He believed in the Lord and HIS WORDS. THAT MOMENT RIGHT THERE Abraham received righteousness.
- It wasn’t his own righteousness. After this, Abraham sinned very badly.
Instead of trusting in God, he trusts his wife when she gives him Hagar so they can have a child.
- That was not God’s plan. Abraham had one wife who was Sarah.
- Did Abraham lose his salvation because he didn’t keep the faith 100% of the time?
- No, HE WAS SAVED when He believed in GOD AND ON GOD to do what HE SAID HE WOULD DO.
Examples Of Faith And Works
Now, let’s go back to James Chapter 2.
- We’re going to get 2 examples about FAITH AND WORKS.
- Abraham was the first example. We’re finishing the example of Abraham in verse 24.
- Here’s the end of the first example in verse 24. And this is A BIG VERSE:
 James 2:24 Ye see then how that by works a man is justified, and not by faith only.
- After this verse, there’s another example in verse 25 and then we end in verse 26.
- But look closely at verse 24 there.
- “YE SEE THEN HOW THAT BY WORKS A MAN IS JUSTIFIED AND NOT BY FAITH ONLY.”
- The Book of Romans says you ARE JUSTIFIED by FAITH ALONE. And it’s very clear.
- The Book of Romans says it in every way possible. The Book of Galatians says the same things.
When you read about Abraham, what if HE NEVER did anything that God asked?
- What if the story of Abraham stopped after he decides to have a baby with Hagar?
- What if God never told us that Abraham actually believed what He said?
- When we would have looked at Abraham, his faith wouldn’t be justified to us.
- We would be like: “What did Abraham do? How do we know he went to heaven?”
- “He must not have believed God because he committed adultery with Hagar and had a child.”
- “That wasn’t ABRAHAM’S WIFE. God just told him that HE would multiply HIS SEED.”
- And then Abraham goes and tries to do it HIMSELF by breaking God’s commandments.
Later, when God tells Abraham that HIM and SARAH will have a child, what does Abraham do?
- Do you remember that story? It’s in Genesis Chapter 17.
- We just talked about Abraham believing God in Genesis Chapter 15.
- Abraham has a child with Hagar who isn’t his wife in Genesis Chapter 16.
- And now we look to Genesis Chapter 17. Abraham is already a SAVED PERSON in this Scripture.
- Abraham is 99 years old in this SCRIPTURE. That’s old.
 Genesis 17:15-17 And God said unto Abraham, As for Sarai thy wife, thou shalt not call her name Sarai, but Sarah shall her name be. 16 And I will bless her, and give thee a son also of her: yea, I will bless her, and she shall be a mother of nations; kings of people shall be of her. 17 Then Abraham fell upon his face, and laughed, and said in his heart, Shall a child be born unto him that is an hundred years old? and shall Sarah, that is ninety years old, bear?
- So, what does Abraham do this time? He falls on his face and laughs at God.
- He thinks it’s a joke. He thinks they’re both too old to have children.
- Abraham still isn’t justifying HIMSELF to us, right? He just laughed at God.
- Most of us would say, “Well, he’s definitely not saved. He fell on his face and laughed at God.”
Abraham Does What God Tells Him To Do This TIme
In Genesis Chapter 17, God commands Abraham to circumcise every man.
- In Chapter 17, we see Abraham actually do what God told HIM to do.
- Now, we can say: “Look, Abraham is doing what God asked HIM to do. He must be saved.”
- That’s the only way we can see Abraham’s FAITH is to see HIM DOING what God asked.
 Romans 4:9-10 Cometh this blessedness then upon the circumcision only, or upon the uncircumcision also? for we say that faith was reckoned to Abraham for righteousness. 10 How was it then reckoned? when he was in circumcision, or in uncircumcision? Not in circumcision, but in uncircumcision.
 Romans 4:11-12 And he received the sign of circumcision, a seal of the righteousness of the faith which he had yet being uncircumcised: that he might be the father of all them that believe, though they be not circumcised; that righteousness might be imputed unto them also: 12 And the father of circumcision to them who are not of the circumcision only, but who also walk in the steps of that faith of our father Abraham, which he had being yet uncircumcised.
- Romans Chapter 4 tells us Abraham was saved before CIRCUMCISION. That was Genesis Chapter 17.
- Do you see the order of events for Abraham? He believed. He was saved. He was justified before God.
- He then acted with works. He was circumcised. His faith is increasing through HIS WORKS.
Then what do we see next for Abraham? We see HIS FAITH increasing.
- We get to Genesis Chapter 22 where he is going to offer ISAAC on the altar to God.
- When we see the story of him willing to sacrifice Isaac, then we’re like WOW, he’s saved.
- Would you be willing to do that? That’s a tough one right there. HIS FAITH INCREASED.
- He believed God, Abraham did what God asked, God did what He said HE WOULD DO, Abraham did what God asked, God did what HE SAID HE WOULD DO.
- His faith is increasing. Do you see that? It’s increasing by HIS WORKS.
- Faith increases by God doing what He says He will do.
- Let me tell you today: “GOD WILL DO WHAT HE SAYS HE WILL DO.”
Now, do you see the FAITH OF ABRAHAM? Now, you see it through that work that he did.
- That’s the ONLY WAY we can see his faith. That willingness to sacrifice Isaac makes you go WOW.
- That was the entire point of that example in JAMES CHAPTER 2.
- Abraham was already justified in front of God through HIS FAITH. He was saved.
 Galatians 3:6-9 Even as Abraham believed God, and it was accounted to him for righteousness. 7 Know ye therefore that they which are of faith, the same are the children of Abraham. 8 And the scripture, foreseeing that God would justify the heathen through faith, preached before the gospel unto Abraham, saying, In thee shall all nations be blessed. 9 So then they which be of faith are blessed with faithful Abraham.
- Do you see right there that GOD PREACHED THE GOSPEL TO ABRAHAM?
- The Gospel is the death, burial, and resurrection of the Lord Jesus Christ to save us.
- Abraham believed what God said. He believed the Gospel. AT THAT MOMENT, Abraham was saved.
- That matches with EVERYTHING else within the entire Bible.
- FAITH ALONE saves you. Once you believe on Jesus, you’re saved.
Good Works Justify You In Front Of Man But Not God
So the works of Abraham justify HIM in front of man and they continue to increase faith.
- We can’t see the faith of Abraham without any of the works HE DID.
- And the works that HE DID were the works that God asked HIM TO DO.
- He didn’t make them up on HIS OWN. God said, “Be circumcised.” Abraham did that.
- God said, “Offer your son Isaac upon the altar.” Abraham did that.
WE NOW SEE what Abraham did, and now he’s justified in front of MAN too.
- Now we know Abraham is a man of God when we see what he was willing to do for God.
- We see that HE FEARED GOD greatly. He was willing to sacrifice HIS ONLY SON through Sarah.
- That’s FAITH. That’s fearing God.
- That’s doing anything God says and understanding it will always be the best.
Most of the time, you’re not going to see it as the best for you. It’s going to be the opposite.
- “Circumcision? What’s that going to do?” Abraham could have said that.
- “Offer my son upon the altar. I don’t think so, God.” Abraham could have said that.
- But He didn’t because of HIS FAITH. Do you see how HIS WORKS justify HIM to man?
- When you obey God and do what He asks, HE INCREASES YOUR FAITH.
And I want you to notice something: It didn’t take Abraham’s willingness to offer Isaac on the altar to be saved.
- Aren’t you glad that it doesn’t take that? If it took that to be saved, I’d be in trouble.
- If that was my story of me and my child in the Bible, that would be tough.
- Most likely, the Bible would had a different story with me and my child.
- And that’s bad to say today, but I need to increase MY FAITH like Abraham.
Now, do you see how that by works a man is justified, and not by faith only?
- Do you see that today? That question I just asked is directly James 2:24.
- That’s the verse false preachers use to say that GOOD WORKS are a part of salvation.
- Abraham was already saved BEFORE he did any of those works. The Bible says so.
- There are hundreds of verses in the Bible that say different the those false preachers.
We learn more about Abraham’s FAITH in Hebrews Chapter 11 and why he was willing to sacrifice his son.
- I want you to see this today. And I want you get past this physical flesh.
- If God asked you to do the same as Abraham and sacrifice your child, you have to get past the flesh.
- You have to understand who God is EXACTLY. You need to understand the POWER that GOD HAS.
 Hebrews 11:17-19 By faith Abraham, when he was tried, offered up Isaac: and he that had received the promises offered up his only begotten son, 18 Of whom it was said, That in Isaac shall thy seed be called: 19 Accounting that God was able to raise him up, even from the dead; from whence also he received him in a figure.
- Abraham taking his only SON up into the mountain to be sacrificed is a PICTURE of things to come.
- Abraham carried WOOD up the mountain just like Simon carried the cross for Jesus.
- Abraham had the sacrifice with HIM who was Isaac. Jesus is the sacrifice. Jesus is the lamb.
- Mount Moriah is where Abraham took Isaac. Calvary or Golgotha is that same spot on Mount Moriah.
- The ram caught in the thorns. Jesus had a crown of thorns. The ram would replace Isaac.
Jesus is the sacrifice for YOU AND FOR I.
- He’s been sacrificed already for our sons, our daughters, our mothers, our father’s, for Abraham’s son.
- God already did it for you so you and all your family can be saved. And we still reject HIM around here.
- Abraham KNEW that God would raise HIS SON from the dead.
- He had faith that God would make it all right.
See what verse 19 says on the screen:
- “Accounting that God was able to raise HIM UP, even from the dead.”
- And that’s why Abraham was willing to sacrifice Isaac. He knew he wasn’t going to lose him.
- We need to understand today that when we do what God asks, we aren’t going to lose.
- We’re going to win. No matter what, do what God says, and you win.
Abraham Was Saved Once He Believed
Notice that ABRAHAM was saved by believing AN AMAZING PROMISE. It wasn’t bad news that he had to believe.
- God gives Abraham GOOD NEWS about multiplying HIS SEED.
- And all Abraham had to do was believe the GOOD PROMISE. Abraham believed it.
- And that’s a picture of salvation today. God says, “I’m giving you eternal life. It’s a free gift.”
- “Your soul will NEVER die.” That’s a good promise!!!
- God doesn’t say, “Go offer your child upon the altar to me and if you do it, then you’ll be saved.”
- That’s tough. He’s made it easy for us.
- He says, “Believe on the sacrifice that I made for you, and I’ll save you because of that sacrifice. I did all the work. Take the gift.”
Don’t let false preachers TWIST James Chapter 2.
- Let’s go back and finish this up in James Chapter 2 verse 25.
- This is the second example God gives us. And look who it is in verse 25.
 James 2:25 Likewise also was not Rahab the harlot justified by works, when she had received the messengers, and had sent them out another way?
- Do you think Rahab the harlot is in heaven today? A harlot in heaven? Really?
- Did you know that Boaz in the book of Ruth was Rahab’s son with Salmon?
- Rahab the harlot is King David’s GREAT, GREAT Grandmother. That’s the line of Joseph, Mary’s husband.
- If Rahab is in heaven today, how do you think she got there? THROUGH FAITH.
 Hebrews 11:31 By faith the harlot Rahab perished not with them that believed not, when she had received the spies with peace.
- She had faith. She was saved. And then she acted on that FAITH just like Abraham.
- Rahab turned into an amazing woman. I guarantee you that. She married Salmon and had Boaz.
- Boaz was great man in the BOOK OF RUTH. Do you think he might have had good parents? Oh yes.
- But then you have these religions today talking about GOOD WORKS gets you into heaven.
- Rahab was a harlot. She was forgiven once she had faith. She acted on that faith with good works.
- The good works didn’t save HER SOUL. Her acting on her faith did save her flesh and her entire family.
When you act on your faith, that’s called good works.
- If you think you’re doing good and not acting on faith, it won’t turn out good.
- Rahab was justified before men when she acted on her faith in GOD. She was saved eternally with FAITH.
- Her good works acted on through faith saved her flesh that day.
- Those who perished were those who “BELIEVED NOT” Hebrews 11:31 says. Rahab didn’t perish.
Acting On Your Existing Faith = Good Works
What did she do? SHE BELIEVED ON GOD. She feared God.
- She hung the scarlet thread out the window of the house to be saved.
- Her house represented the BODY OF JESUS CHRIST.
- The RED SCARLET THREAD represented the BLOOD OF JESUS CHRIST.
- In other words, she was saying: “Hey, I get it. I understand Jesus is the Savior.”
- I will act on that and hang this scarlet thread out my window to be saved.
- Was her soul saved through her good works? NO!!! SHE WAS A HARLOT!!! A PROSTITUTE!!!
- She didn’t say, “I’ll stop being a harlot.” My good works will save me!!! That’s not what saved her.
- Don’t ever let a preacher tell you that your SOUL is saved through works.
If Rahab believed and wouldn’t have proved her belief with good works, what would have happened?
- She wouldn’t have saved those 2 spies that day, and she would have been killed with the rest.
- But she already believed and her soul was already saved. Just like King Saul.
- Her flesh wouldn’t have been saved, but her soul was saved the moment she believed on Jesus.
- Last verse in James Chapter 2.
 James 2:26 For as the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without works is dead also.
- With no spirit, the body is dead. The body still exists., but it’s dead. There’s no SPIRIT.
- Can God bring that SPIRIT back and revive that body? Yeah, He did it in the Bible multiple times.
- It’s not saying the body never existed. It’s saying without the spirit the BODY is DEAD.
- So FAITH WITHOUT WORKS is dead also.
Faith is like the body. And works is like the SPIRIT of your faith. It’s the life force of your faith.
- You can show your FAITH as ALIVE by doing what He says. I want my FAITH ALIVE and growing.
- If you have faith, but you aren’t doing anything with it, what’s it helping? It doesn’t help anyone.
- You might as well be dead. You’re not working for God. You’re not doing anything to further His Kingdom.
- But I guarantee you that FAITH WITHOUT WORKS gets you into heaven.
- FAITH stands alone when it comes to receiving eternal life AT ONE MOMENT in your life.
- But faith without works is dead. You don’t want that. Increase your faith.