The title of the sermon today is “GENESIS CHAPTER 4.”
The Story Of Cain And Abel
- Genesis Chapter 4 includes the FAMOUS STORY of Cain and Abel.
- Two brothers. One HATES the other. Let’s see what happens in this story today.
- And let’s see if you learn something knew today as we go into more detail than ever before.
 Genesis 4:1 And Adam knew Eve his wife; and she conceived, and bare Cain, and said, I have gotten a man from the LORD.
- So when you see that “Adam KNEW Eve his wife” this doesn’t just mean he knew who she was.
- Of course Adam knew who his wife was. Right?
- Too many people say the Bible and especially the King James Bible is difficult to understand.
- But guess what? The Bible defines itself ALWAYS.
- When it says, “And Adam knew Eve his wife AND she conceived” you know what it means.
- This means they knew each other as only HUSBAND and WIFE should know each other.
- Eve becomes pregnant and she conceives a son.
So why does God use the word “KNEW” as in Adam “KNEW” his wife?
- God doesn’t need to go into graphic detail on what goes on between a man and a woman in the bedroom
- This is private information that’s between a husband and a wife
- God doesn’t see the need to go into that detail so we shouldn’t be doing that either.
- We should follow God’s lead.
- But yet, that’s all you see on TV, in movies, in magazines, on the Internet. It’s everywhere.
- Even teenager shows, TV series, movies go into detail like all teenagers should be doing these things.
- It’s a lie straight from hell. These graphic details shouldn’t be discussed anywhere.
Men and women shouldn’t be telling others about their relationships with their husbands and wives.
- It’s private and kept within the boundaries of marriage.
- So Adam KNEW his wife, she conceived, and bare Cain their first born son.
- She says, “I HAVE GOTTEN A MAN FROM THE LORD.”
 Genesis 4:2 And she again bare his brother Abel. And Abel was a keeper of sheep, but Cain was a tiller of the ground.
- Eve bares a second son and his name is Abel. Cain is a tiller of the ground. Abel is a keeper of sheep.
 Genesis 4:3-5 And in process of time it came to pass, that Cain brought of the fruit of the ground an offering unto the LORD. 4 And Abel, he also brought of the firstlings of his flock and of the fat thereof. And the LORD had respect unto Abel and to his offering: 5 But unto Cain and to his offering he had not respect. And Cain was very wroth, and his countenance fell.
- When I’ve read that passage there in the past, I couldn’t understand why God didn’t like Cain’s offering.
- I remember thinking that God wasn’t being fair to Cain.
- But I had no idea what I was talking about BECAUSE I didn’t understand the Scripture properly.
- God is ALWAYS fair and just. Understand that today.
- When something doesn’t sound right in the Bible, we need to study it more.
 Hebrews 11:4 By faith Abel offered unto God a more excellent sacrifice than Cain, by which he obtained witness that he was righteous, God testifying of his gifts: and by it he being dead yet speaketh.
- Abel’s sacrifice was more excellent because he brought it by faith
Why Did God Not Respect Cain’s Offering?
- Cain’s sacrifice didn’t please God at all. Why did Cain’s sacrifice not please God?
 Hebrews 11:6 But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him.
- Obviously, you cannot please God without FAITH.
- Cain’s sacrifice wasn’t done BY FAITH.
- That’s why God didn’t accept Cain’s sacrifice.
- Cain didn’t please God because he didn’t bring the sacrifice by FAITH!
- Same thing today. If you don’t have FAITH in God, you can’t please Him.
- He’s not happy with your good works unless they are done in FAITH.
- You are only SAVED through FAITH.
God did not have respect for Cain’s offering.
- What was Cain’s response to that?
- Now remember, this is GOD ALMIGHTY that He’s reacting to right here
- CAIN WAS VERY WROTH or EXTREMELY ANGRY!
- Cain’s countenance fell or his appearance fell. He was very upset.
- So Cain must have thought he was giving his best with his offering.
- Let’s see what God says to Cain next.
 Genesis 4:6-7 And the LORD said unto Cain, Why art thou wroth? and why is thy countenance fallen? 7 If thou doest well, shalt thou not be accepted? and if thou doest not well, sin lieth at the door. And unto thee shall be his desire, and thou shalt rule over him.
- God is telling Cain he wouldn’t be so angry if he would simply do what He asked him to do
- God says, “If you do well, you will be accepted. If you don’t do well, sin lieth at the door.”
- In other words, God is giving him another chance to do it right. He gives all many, many chances.
- So look, this is VERY IMPORTANT to understand what I’m going to say next
- Cain was doing HIS BEST work. He was working hard and was trying to make it HIS BEST.
- That’s why He got so mad and angry. If he didn’t really try, he wouldn’t have gotten so upset.
- Abel’s offering was given through FAITH. He brought of the FIRSTLINGS of his flock.
- It wasn’t the best of what he had. It was the first of what he had. He brought it in FAITH.
So, this is a picture of SALVATION right here in Genesis Chapter 4.
- Cain is trying to work his own goodness. Cain is trying to work his own righteousness.
- Hey God, “Look at how great this offering is that I brought you.”
- Abel does the opposite and brings his offering in FAITH.
- He doesn’t glory in bringing the best to GOD but the first of the flock. Not the best of the flock.
- THE FIRST OF THE FLOCK was given as an offering.
- So how do I know that the story of Cain and Abel is a picture of SALVATION and how to be saved?
- The Bible says so. I want to show you this in the Bible.
 2 Peter 2:1 But there were false prophets also among the people, even as there shall be false teachers among you, who privily shall bring in damnable heresies, even denying the Lord that bought them, and bring upon themselves swift destruction.
- This Chapter in 2 Peter is talking about FALSE PROPHETS who teach DAMNABLE HERESIES
- This means they are teaching people LIES.
- For example, a works based salvation is a lie.
- False prophets will teach that you MUST do works of some type (like Baptism) to be saved
- The Book of Jude is also teaching about FALSE PROPHETS or false preachers and teachers
 Jude 3-4 Beloved, when I gave all diligence to write unto you of the common salvation, it was needful for me to write unto you, and exhort you that ye should earnestly contend for the faith which was once delivered unto the saints. 4 For there are certain men crept in unawares, who were before of old ordained to this condemnation, ungodly men, turning the grace of our God into lasciviousness, and denying the only Lord God, and our Lord Jesus Christ.
- Verse 3 is telling us about SALVATION.
- Jude (the brother of Jesus Christ and son of Joseph) says, “IT WAS NEEDFUL FOR ME TO WRITE!!!”
- He says, “You need to contend for the FAITH!!!” Fight for the FAITH!!!
- Verse 4 is talking about these false preachers creeping in unaware
- People don’t even notice it and aren’t even aware that false preachers have crept into the churches
- Where are most of these false preachers coming from?
- Cemeteries. I mean Seminaries.
Yes, They Have Crept Into Churches Unaware
They can’t even understand that the different Bible versions don’t say the same thing.
- Look at them. The different versions don’t say the same thing. False teaching has crept into the churches.
- These false teachers have turned God’s grace into lasciviousness or lustful things like their so-called good works.
- By teaching that salvation is through works they DENY THE LORD JESUS CHRIST
- Do you hear that today? Teaching works based salvation DENIES the sacrifice Jesus Christ made.
- I want you to see how this next verse in Galatians relates to Jude 4 and turning the grace of God into lasciviousness.
 Galatians 2:21 I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain.
- Again, if SALVATION was through WORKS IN ANY WAY, then Jesus Christ died for nothing.
- In other words, you wouldn’t need Jesus Christ because you could work your way to heaven.
How does all of this relate to the story of Cain?
- Look here at Jude verse 11 just a little ways down from Jude verse 4 that we just read.
- Remember that Jude 4 is talking about these false preachers creeping in unaware
- Verse 11 says this:
 Jude 11 Woe unto them! for they have gone in the way of Cain, and ran greedily after the error of Balaam for reward, and perished in the gainsaying of Core.
- Look there. These false preachers HAVE GONE IN THE WAY OF CAIN!!!
- What does that mean exactly?
- God is using Cain as an example of the false preachers and teachers to come.
- Why is Cain an example of this?
- He’s talking about a works based salvation. All of the FALSE GOSPELS are works based!!!
- They’ll say, “Well, you have to be baptized to be saved. You must repent of your sins to be saved. You must go to church to be saved. You must follow God’s commandments to be saved.”
- Blah, blah, blah, blah, blah. They’re all false BECAUSE the Bible NEVER says this ANYWHERE.
- The Bible says HUNDREDS OF TIMES that salvation is not of works!!!
- The Bible says it every way possible.
Abel’s Offering Versus Cain’s Offering
Let’s look at Abel’s offering versus Cain’s offering as this is a picture of SALVATION today.
- Abel brings a sheep or lamb as an offering.
- That lamb represents the Lord Jesus Christ.
- The LAMB OF GOD takes away the sin of the world.
- Cain brings the fruit of his own works.
- Cain brings what HE DID. The work that HE DID!
- Cain brings what he accomplished and what he produced.
- He’s out there working hard and is bringing HIS WORKS as an offering.
- His works are rejected by God.
2 different Gospels being preached out there today
- One is salvation by FAITH ALONE like the Bible actually teaches
- The other false Gospels being taught are WORKS BASED SALVATION
- The works based SALVATION is the way of Cain just like Jude 11 says right there
 Ephesians 2:8-9 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: 9 Not of works, lest any man should boast.
- God is trying to tell us over and over again throughout the Bible that salvation is not by our good works
- Salvation is a free gift of God that you can’t earn with any WORK that you do
- The gift is already paid for by the BLOOD OF JESUS CHRIST
- Abel’s offering symbolizes the LAMB OF GOD being offered.
- Abel’s offering is done in faith Hebrews 11:4 says.
- Hebrews 11:6 says it’s impossible to please GOD without faith.
- That’s why Cain’s offering is rejected! It symbolizes HIS OWN WORKS.
- Cain is trying to gain God’s favor through HIS WORKS. God says, “Sorry, that doesn’t work Cain!”
- He’s trying to tell all of the false preachers out there today the exact same thing. NOT OF WORKS!!!
The entire Bible is teaching this same thing THROUGHOUT from COVER TO COVER
- Even right here in Genesis Chapter 4, you’ll start to see this
- God’s teaching us that SALVATION is not of works
- The entire Bible says this over and over and over again in every way possible
- The TOWER OF BABEL is another picture of a works based salvation
- People are building this huge tower to heaven. They’re working their way to heaven.
- God REJECTS that way over and over again. How many times does He have to show us this?
- Just take the free gift of salvation. It’s simple and easy to believe what God says.
Cain’s offering is similar to all of these things.
- Go to church and you’ll be saved. Keep the commandments and you’ll be saved.
- Get baptized in water and you’ll be saved. Repent of all your sin and you’ll be saved.
- Go tell people who have wronged you that you forgive them and you’ll be saved.
- Live a good and holy life and you’ll be saved. Feed the homeless and you’ll be saved.
- Give to the poor and you’ll be saved. Love others and you’ll be saved
Abel’s Offering Followed God’s Instructions
Abel’s offering is very simple and is explained in John Chapter 6.
- Abel’s offering is accepted by GOD ALMIGHTY. Abel’s offering is very simple and easy.
- It’s summed up right here in verses 28 and 29 of John Chapter 6.
 John 6:28-29 Then said they unto him, What shall we do, that we might work the works of God? 29 Jesus answered and said unto them, This is the work of God, that ye believe on him whom he hath sent.
- If you want to do the work GOD wants you to do, He’s telling you God did the work
- All you have to do is BELIEVE on the Lord Jesus Christ. That’s it. It’s easy. It’s simple.
- You can do it right now as you sit there in your seat. Can’t get any easier than that.
- That’s the difference in Cain’s offering and Abel’s offering. One is of works. The other is of faith.
I want you to see another point that needs to made from Genesis 4 verses 4 and 5.
- God had respect for Abel’s offering and did not have respect for Cain’s offering
- Have you heard that we need to respect all religions and all viewpoints?
- Is that what God does right here? Did God say that Cain is JUST worshipping Him in a different way.
- And that Cain’s different way is good too? Is that what God says? No, it’s not.
- God doesn’t say to respect all beliefs and all religions. God HATES false beliefs and false religions.
- Did God say Cain’s heart is in the right place because he did his best and that God understands Cain?
- That’s what churches all around here are teaching. They teach falsely with no Scripture to back it up.
It’s easy to take a step back and look at this story of Cain and Abel.
- I could easily look at this story and say, “God, what’s your problem? Cain gave his best.”
- “He brings you his best and you reject it.”
- When you’re God, you know what’s best. God makes the rules.
- Jesus says, “I AM THE WAY, THE TRUTH, THE LIFE.” In other words, we have to do it GOD’S WAY.
- We can’t do it OUR WAY. We must do it GOD’S WAY. We aren’t God.
- That’s the whole point to the story of Cain and Abel.
- If God didn’t respect a false way, then we can’t act like we’re better than God.
- Don’t respect false religions and false ways. Don’t accept lies. That’s what they are.
- Can’s way represents a FALSE WAY. Don’t respect that way. God didn’t. No respect for LIES.
- We should ONLY RESPECT the TRUTH. Right? That’s pretty easy to understand.
- If we accept lies, what’s going to spread? LIES. And that is exactly what’s happened in this world.
False Preachers Get Angry When You Don’t Accept Their Lies
How do people react when you won’t accept their false religion and their false way?
- Exactly like Cain reacted. They get very angry and wroth with you.
- They say you should tolerate all religions. Well, they don’t tolerate us.
- Bible believing Christians aren’t tolerated and accepted. The Bible isn’t tolerated.
- The Bible has been thrown out of everything. But they bring in their false SCIENCE into everything.
- The Bible is like the stone age to all of these liberals and progressives.
- If you believe lies and stupid things, they’ll respect you for that.
But not the Bible. They won’t respect the Bible. Does that tell you something? It should.
- The Bible is the TRUTH. That’s what it tells me. People don’t like the truth.
- It messes up all their false beliefs. That’s why the Bible is HATED.
- The devil doesn’t care if you believe ANY false beliefs. Those are all respected by Satan.
- Why? Because every false belief sends you to hell. He doesn’t care which one sends you there.
- But he does care about stopping the Bible. He doesn’t want you to believe the truth.
Why would I respect the false religion of Islam?
- This false religion was started by a man that was married to a 9-year old girl when he was in his 40’s
- How sick is that? But, that’s ignored and that’s okay with 1.8 billion people in this world.
- 24% of the world’s population is okay with a 40-yr old man married to a 9-yr old little girl.
- That’s sickness. And that’s the world today. It’s nasty, it’s vile, it’s sick.
- Same thing with Mormonism. Joseph Smith married a 14-yr old when he was 37 years old.
- I’m not going to respect that AT ALL. I have ZERO respect for false ways and false religions.
- Guess what all of those false religions teach? A works based salvation just like the way of Cain.
- God didn’t have respect for Cain’s offering, and I will not have respect for false ways.
 Matthew 7:13-14 Enter ye in at the strait gate: for wide is the gate, and broad is the way, that leadeth to destruction, and many there be which go in thereat: 14 Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.
- Do you want to find THE WAY, or do you want to respect false ways and allow those to spread?
- If God respected Cain’s offering because of all that hard work he did, guess what?
- We wouldn’t be saved through faith, and we would all be sent to hell!!! Do you see that today?
- So don’t take a step back and criticize God for not accepting Cain’s offering because he worked hard.
- God didn’t respect it BECAUSE God’s way is the only way. We are saved through FAITH or not at all.
I want to make another point with verse 7 in Genesis Chapter 4.
- God says right there: “IF THOU DOEST WELL, SHALT THOU NOT BE ACCEPTED?”
- If you follow God’s way, you will be accepted. If not, you have sinned. If it’s not God’s way, you’ve sinned.
- In other words, the people who think they are working they’re way to heaven are sinning the entire time.
- There’s also a false DOCTRINE of Calvinism that I want to talk about.
- Why do we want to talk about Calvinism and how does it relate to Genesis 4:7?
Calvinism is believing that God pre-ordained or already chose the men and women who are saved.
- This happened without ANY action on their part.
- You don’t have to believe on your own. It’s not your faith that saves.
- God has already selected those people and you’re chosen by God. You don’t believe. God did it for you.
- In other words, Soul Winning is worthless BECAUSE it makes no difference.
- What denominations believe in Calvinism?
- Primitive Baptist, Reformed Baptist, Presbyterian, Reformed Christian Churches, United Church of Christ, Protestant Reformed Churches
God Gives Everyone The Choices They Need To Be Saved
But look at what God says in verse 7 of Genesis 4.
- He puts the responsibility on Cain. He gives Cain the choice.
- He says, “IF YOU DO WELL, YOU SHALL BE ACCEPTED.”
- God NEVER says, “I don’t give you the chance to be saved because I already selected everyone.”
- Where in the Bible does it say that? More false religion.
- Now you don’t have to do anything BECAUSE God already selected everyone.
- So when Jesus commands us to go out and preach the Gospel, I guess that’s just a waste of time.
- That’s what Calvinism is teaching. It’s another deception that sounds great to us.
- I don’t need to do anything. I don’t even need to believe on Jesus Christ. God will do it for me.
- Wow, about 60 million people are Calvinists. That’s a lot of deceived people. Let’s continue in verse 8.
 Genesis 4:8 And Cain talked with Abel his brother: and it came to pass, when they were in the field, that Cain rose up against Abel his brother, and slew him.
- Abel didn’t do anything to provoke Cain to kill him. That’s not mentioned anywhere in the Bible.
- Cain disobeys God. God rejects Cain’s offering. Cain gets angry. And then he kills Abel.
- Why does Cain kill Abel? The Bible gives us the exact answer in 1 John Chapter 3 verse 12.
 1 John 3:12 Not as Cain, who was of that wicked one, and slew his brother. And wherefore slew he him? Because his own works were evil, and his brother’s righteous.
- So we learn that Cain killed Abel because his own works were evil and his brother’s righteous
- Does that remind you of anything? What about Jesus Christ and the Jews.
- The Jews acted like they were perfect and doing all these great works of the law.
- Jesus said, “Hey, NO!!! That’s not going to make you righteous!!!” Same thing that God told Cain.
- And what happened to Jesus?
- They killed Him because their own works were evil and Jesus is righteous.
- Evil people who are doing evil things (like Cain) will hate and despise people who are doing right.
- Cain has the problem with God. Not Abel. Abel didn’t do anything to Cain. But Cain was angry with God.
- That’s what happens in the world today and will continue to get worse and worse. So be ready.
Who does all the persecuting of Christians throughout the New Testament?
- The Jews are constantly persecuting the Christians.
- The physical seed of Abraham persecutes the spiritual seed of Abraham.
 Galatians 4:28-29 Now we, brethren, as Isaac was, are the children of promise. 29 But as then he that was born after the flesh persecuted him that was born after the Spirit, even so it is now.
- That verse right there is talking about the illegitimate son of Abraham who is Ishmael persecuting the legitimate son of Abraham who is Isaac.
- The Jews are constantly persecuting the Christians.
- Do you see this truth in the Bible today?
- The Jews (through WORKS) are like Cain. The Christians (through FAITH) are like Abel.
- The Jews are like Ishmael and the Christians are like Isaac.
The Jews Wanted Jesus Dead
The Jews wanted Jesus crucified. They said, “KILL HIM.”
- Pilate is like, “Why? What did he do wrong? I don’t see anything he did wrong.”
- He’s the KING OF THE JEWS. You want your own King to be crucified?
- Same thing with Abel. He didn’t do anything wrong for Cain to HATE him.
- The Jews cried out to Pilate, “CRUCIFY HIM!!!”
 Mark 15:12-14 And Pilate answered and said again unto them, What will ye then that I shall do unto him whom ye call the King of the Jews? 13 And they cried out again, Crucify him. 14 Then Pilate said unto them, Why, what evil hath he done? And they cried out the more exceedingly, Crucify him.
- Pilate didn’t want anything to do with the blame for killing a JUST person.
- Jesus didn’t do anything wrong.
 Matthew 27:24 When Pilate saw that he could prevail nothing, but that rather a tumult was made, he took water, and washed his hands before the multitude, saying, I am innocent of the blood of this just person: see ye to it.
- Pilate says “Hey, I don’t want any part of this.”
- He literally took water and washed his hands before the multitude of people.
- He says, “Hey, look, I’m innocent of the blood of this JUST person.”
- The Jews respond.
 Matthew 27:25 Then answered all the people, and said, His blood be on us, and on our children.
- Wow! They HATED Jesus that much. A man that did nothing wrong.
- Even after Jesus died, they continued persecuting all of His followers.
- And it continues today and will continue. Why?
- Now you know. It’s because JESUS is righteous and they are EVIL.
- We’ll go back to Genesis Chapter 4 now. I hope you’ve seen new light on Cain and Abel now.
 Genesis 4:9 And the LORD said unto Cain, Where is Abel thy brother? And he said, I know not: Am I my brother’s keeper?
- Now Cain is lying directly to God.
- He gets a little smart about it too. “I don’t know. Am I my brother’s keeper?”
- “What’s your problem God? Leave me alone.” That tells you he has no idea who God is.
 Genesis 4:10-12 And he said, What hast thou done? the voice of thy brother’s blood crieth unto me from the ground. 11 And now art thou cursed from the earth, which hath opened her mouth to receive thy brother’s blood from thy hand; 12 When thou tillest the ground, it shall not henceforth yield unto thee her strength; a fugitive and a vagabond shalt thou be in the earth.
- Now we see Cain’s punishment and it isn’t the DEATH PENALTY.
- Cain murdered his brother and he doesn’t even get the death penalty.
- He’s going to be a fugitive and a vagabond or wanderer in the earth.
Cain Is Now Cursed
Cain is now cursed so the earth will not allow him to be the greater farmer that he was.
- Remember, he took great pride in his offering from his farming that he brought to God.
- Can will not be able to settle in any more, plant his crops, and survive in that manner.
- Now, he’s going to have to wander around and find another way to survive.
 Genesis 4:13-15 And Cain said unto the LORD, My punishment is greater than I can bear. 14 Behold, thou hast driven me out this day from the face of the earth; and from thy face shall I be hid; and I shall be a fugitive and a vagabond in the earth; and it shall come to pass, that every one that findeth me shall slay me. 15 And the LORD said unto him, Therefore whosoever slayeth Cain, vengeance shall be taken on him sevenfold. And the LORD set a mark upon Cain, lest any finding him should kill him.
- Cain understands that people are going to want to kill him now
- He says that every one that findeth me shall SLAY ME.
- God ANNOUNCES a CURSE on anyone who kills Cain.
- God sets a MARK upon Cain so people will know not to kill him.
- I’m not sure what that mark is because the Bible never says exactly what it is
- But you can know that GOD set that mark upon Cain and people will know that he’s Cain
- And remember, people live a very long time in this day and age and are multiplying greatly
- So there will be plenty of people wanting to kill Cain so he needs that mark upon him
 Genesis 4:16-17 And Cain went out from the presence of the LORD, and dwelt in the land of Nod, on the east of Eden. 17 And Cain knew his wife; and she conceived, and bare Enoch: and he builded a city, and called the name of the city, after the name of his son, Enoch.
- So Cain is living in Nod on the east of Eden
- Cain knew his wife as married people know each other and she conceives a child named ENOCH
- Cain builds a city and calls it ENOCH after the name of his son
- So we don’t know the name of Cain’s wife but we do know the name of his son, ENOCH
 Genesis 4:18-19 And unto Enoch was born Irad: and Irad begat Mehujael: and Mehujael begat Methusael: and Methusael begat Lamech. 19 And Lamech took unto him two wives: the name of the one was Adah, and the name of the other Zillah.
- This is the first instance of someone having 2 wives in the Bible. Lamech is the first one to have 2 wives.
- Lamech is 6 generations from Cain. God NEVER designed man to have more than one wife.
- Jesus HIMSELF in the New Testament says so.
The Fake Jesus In Today’s Churches Isn’t The Right One
People believe the Pharisees were the strict ones and Jesus was the easy going guy that came preaching LOVE, LOVE, LOVE everyone no matter what
- That’s what churches are teaching today. But guess what? It’s the opposite of that.
- Jesus always PREACHES against sin. He hates sin.
- The Pharisees were constantly trying to find ways around the law. They minimized sin.
- And when you think salvation is by works, you’ll minimize your sin too because you think you’re good.
 Matthew 19:3-6 The Pharisees also came unto him, tempting him, and saying unto him, Is it lawful for a man to put away his wife for every cause? 4 And he answered and said unto them, Have ye not read, that he which made them at the beginning made them male and female, 5 And said, For this cause shall a man leave father and mother, and shall cleave to his wife: and they twain shall be one flesh? 6 Wherefore they are no more twain, but one flesh. What therefore God hath joined together, let not man put asunder.
- The Pharisees were hypocrites. That’s the problem Jesus had with them!
- They would tell others to not do this or that and go do it themselves.
- The Pharisees are trying to justify that it’s okay to divorce your wife and marry someone else
- That’s not STRICT.
- Look what they say there: “Is it lawful for a man to put away his wife for EVERY CAUSE?”
- They’re saying, “Hey, it’s okay to divorce your wife for ANY reason you want.”
- “Well, I don’t like your hair any more so I’m divorcing you.”
That’s what the world’s doing today. Is it not? Divorce for any reason you want.
- “Well, I have to take care of myself. He’s not making ME happy any more. He doesn’t care about my feelings. I want a divorce.”
- “Or, she isn’t doing this or this or this so I want a divorce. I don’t think I love her any more.”
- Does God say it’s okay for you to get a divorce for ANYTHING like the Pharisees say?
- Jesus says right there in verse 4, “HAVE YE NOT READ???”
- In other words, most people have it wrong because they haven’t read the Bible!!! Have you not read?
- The Pharisees respond to Jesus in verse 10.
 Matthew 19:7-9 They say unto him, Why did Moses then command to give a writing of divorcement, and to put her away? 8 He saith unto them, Moses because of the hardness of your hearts suffered you to put away your wives: but from the beginning it was not so. 9 And I say unto you, Whosoever shall put away his wife, except it be for fornication, and shall marry another, committeth adultery: and whoso marrieth her which is put away doth commit adultery.
- They couldn’t understand the Scripture. “Well, Moses said it was okay to divorce your wife.”
- Jesus says Moses allowed that due to the hardness of your hearts. It was your problem. Not God’s.
- God made the rule from the beginning. Man should cleave to his wife and become one.
- Jesus says the ONLY reason for a man to put away his wife is due to fornication. What does that mean?
- Well, let’s see exactly what that means today so we understand this properly.
 Deuteronomy 24:1 When a man hath taken a wife, and married her, and it come to pass that she find no favour in his eyes, because he hath found some uncleanness in her: then let him write her a bill of divorcement, and give it in her hand, and send her out of his house.
- This is talking about a man taking a wife and finding that she is unclean.
- What does unclean mean right there? If she is unclean, THEN he shall divorce her.
- Well, when does Jesus say it’s okay for man to divorce his wife? Fornication.
- This means the uncleanness in the passage is due to fornication before their marriage with someone else.
- So they haven’t consummated the marriage yet.
- They’re married but they haven’t had that relationship where they come together.
- If the woman had told her husband she was a virgin and then he finds out that she wasn’t, this is THE ONLY VALID REASON to divorce Jesus HIMSELF says.
- You might say, “Well, I don’t believe that’s what it says.” Let’s prove it.
The Story Of Joseph And Mary Proves Fornication Is The Only Valid Reason For Divorce
Do you remember the story of Joseph and Mary when she became pregnant?
- Joseph married Mary but they hadn’t yet consummated their marriage through that relationship in which they come together.
 Matthew 1:18-19 Now the birth of Jesus Christ was on this wise: When as his mother Mary was espoused to Joseph, before they came together, she was found with child of the Holy Ghost. 19 Then Joseph her husband, being a just man, and not willing to make her a publick example, was minded to put her away privily.
- BEFORE THEY CAME TOGETHER, Mary was found with child
- So, what’s Joseph thinking right then? Hey, she’s been with someone else. She’s not a virgin.
- That’s pretty obvious, right? She is pregnant with someone else’s child.
- What’s Joseph going to do? He was already her husband and he was a JUST man.
In other words, he was going to do what was right and put her away or DIVORCE HER quietly.
- That’s THE ONLY VALID REASON for divorce according to Jesus Christ HIMSELF.
- Are there any other valid reasons? Sure doesn’t look like it to me.
- Is adultery a valid reason? No. Jesus knows how to use the word adultery.
- He uses it in the same sentence so we understand that He knows what He’s saying.
- Fornication is something you do before you’re married. Adultery is after you’re married.
- Let’s see AGAIN what Jesus Christ HIMSELF says.
 Matthew 19:9 And I say unto you, Whosoever shall put away his wife, except it be for fornication, and shall marry another, committeth adultery: and whoso marrieth her which is put away doth commit adultery.
- The Pharisees perverted it to say you can divorce your wife for ANY REASON.
- They HATED what Jesus was telling them. The disciples didn’t like it either. They responded to Jesus.
 Matthew 19:10 His disciples say unto him, If the case of the man be so with his wife, it is not good to marry.
- Well, it’s NEVER good to marry then the disciples say. They’ve been listening to the Pharisees.
- When you preach this, people aren’t going to like it. But you know what?
- I don’t care because this is what God says. And you shouldn’t care either. God’s in charge here.
- Let’s see what Jesus says back to the disciples.
 Matthew 19:11 But he said unto them, All men cannot receive this saying, save they to whom it is given.
- He’s saying, “Hey, you might not like it and receive it BUT it’s the truth.”
- If you want to hear the truth, receive the truth.
- If you want to do it your own way, then do it your way. It won’t turn out good.
You Should Have One Spouse Only In Your Life
God says VERY CLEARLY all throughout the Bible that we should HAVE ONE SPOUSE and ONE ONLY!!!
- You become one flesh with your spouse.
- You are NO MORE TWO but ONE FLESH. This means you can’t split apart at any time.
- Once you’re marriage is consummated or JOINED TOGETHER AS ONE, you don’t ever SPLIT or divorce
- And you don’t multiply wives and gather more wives
- “Well, King Solomon did.” Or, “King David did.”
- We don’t follow examples of sinful men and women in the Bible.
- Instead, we follow what GOD SAYS not what people do.
 Deuteronomy 17:17 Neither shall he multiply wives to himself, that his heart turn not away: neither shall he greatly multiply to himself silver and gold.
- God doesn’t say you should be one flesh with 2 spouses, 3 spouses, 700 spouses like Solomon.
- That makes no sense. TWO SHALL BE ONE FLESH. Husband and wife shall be one flesh. That’s it.
- When you follow what God says, things turn out so much better.
- It’s AMAZING to have a ONE wife all your life. The world tells you opposite.
- The world teaches young men and women to go out and test everyone until you find someone you like.
- Experiment until you find the one that fulfills all your desires. It’s all ABOUT YOU the world says!!!
- The Bible says, “OH NO YOU DON’T.” God says different.
- God’s ways ALWAYS turn out better. If you want to be happy, follow what God says.
- If you want to be miserable, do what the world says.
So again, who was the first person to have multiple wives in the Bible?
- Was this person from Abel’s side of the family?
- No, it was Lamech who came from Cain’s family tree. That’s the wicked side of the family.
- They start this practice of having two wives.
- After being with Pam for over 17 years now, I can’t understand how ANYONE would want to have 2 wives (that’s just a joke)
- Many men might think it’s a great idea to have multiple wives at first.
- But, it’s not because you should TRUST what God says. It won’t be better.
Our society right now rejects multiple wives which is GREAT.
- But, society is okay with not getting married and having hundreds of different partners.
- To me, that’s even worse. Why? Because it ends with children who have no father. The father disappears.
- Men have even been applauded for having hundreds of different partners by other men.
- It’s sick and nasty. That’s not God’s design.
- Muslims can have up to 4 wives.
Multiple Spouses Turns Into Fighting
Think about what multiple wives could turn into. Think about the fighting. Not good.
- Why do I say this? Because that’s what happens in the Bible.
- When men have multiple wives in the Bible, they’re always fighting and they HATE each other
- Sarah and Hagar is one example that comes to mind.
- Elkanah (Samuel’s Dad) in 1 Samuel Chapter 1 had 2 wives: Hannah and Peninnah.
- Hannah and Peninnah HATED each other.
 1 Samuel 1:4-6 And when the time was that Elkanah offered, he gave to Peninnah his wife, and to all her sons and her daughters, portions: 5 But unto Hannah he gave a worthy portion; for he loved Hannah: but the LORD had shut up her womb. 6 And her adversary also provoked her sore, for to make her fret, because the LORD had shut up her womb.
- Hannah’s ADVERSARY or ENEMY was the other wife!
- You might say, “Well, MY 2 wives would get along.” No, they wouldn’t.
- The Bible shows us the truth over and over again.
- Having 2 wives will automatically be a punishment for all 3 people. God doesn’t have to do the punishing!
- Do you see this today?
- In other words, BE HAPPY WITH ONE WIFE. It turns out so much better.
God’s plan so you’re the happiest you can be is for you to stay PURE until you marry ONE spouse of the opposite gender (there’s only 2).
- Then, once you’re married, you stick or cleave to that SPOUSE for LIFE. No other option exists.
- If you’ve already failed at that, it’s okay. Get it on track right now. God always gives us chances.
- Once you know the truth, get it right.
- Let’s go back to Genesis Chapter 4 verse 20.
- We’re talking about Lamech and his two wives Adah and Zillah.
 Genesis 4:20 And Adah bare Jabal: he was the father of such as dwell in tents, and of such as have cattle.
- This tells us that Jabal is the father of all that dwell in tents and raise cattle.
- We learn a little bit about Cain’s descendants here.
 Genesis 4:21 And his brother’s name was Jubal: he was the father of all such as handle the harp and organ.
- Adah has Jabal and now we see Jubal. There’s 2 sons through Adah so far.
- Jubal was great with music.
- We see that music was popular all the way back to the early descendants of Cain.
 Genesis 4:22 And Zillah, she also bare Tubal-cain, an instructer of every artificer in brass and iron: and the sister of Tubal-cain was Naamah.
- The second wife of cain, Zillah, has a son named Tubal-cain
- He was very good with working brass and iron
- And then it mentions the sister of Tubal-cain whose name is Naamah
 Genesis 4:23 And Lamech said unto his wives, Adah and Zillah, Hear my voice; ye wives of Lamech, hearken unto my speech: for I have slain a man to my wounding, and a young man to my hurt.
- What does Lamech do right here?
- He comes home to his wives (both of them) and tells them that he’s killed a young man.
- And it looks to me like he’s very hurt by killing this man. He’s sorry for what he’s done.
- Or, he was wounded by the other man before killing him.
 Genesis 4:24 If Cain shall be avenged sevenfold, truly Lamech seventy and sevenfold.
- Lamech knows that Cain was avenged sevenfold.
- That had been passed down through the generations.
- And remember, they lived much longer then so Cain was around for hundreds of years
- He understands that he will be avenged SEVENTY AND SEVENFOLD.
- You have people killing throughout the earth now. It’s already started.
 Genesis 6:11-13 The earth also was corrupt before God, and the earth was filled with violence. 12 And God looked upon the earth, and, behold, it was corrupt; for all flesh had corrupted his way upon the earth. 13 And God said unto Noah, The end of all flesh is come before me; for the earth is filled with violence through them; and, behold, I will destroy them with the earth.
- At the beginning of Chapter 4, Cain kills Abel. He wasn’t given the death penalty.
- At the end of Chapter 4, Lamech kills a man. He doesn’t get the death penalty.
- The sin begins to multiply already.
Cain Didn’t Get The Death Penalty For Killing Abel
In Genesis Chapter 6, you see that the earth is FILLED with violence.
- The flood is the punishment and ends all of that VIOLENCE.
- Noah gets off the ark and let’s see what God says once they step off the ark.
 Genesis 9:6 Whoso sheddeth man’s blood, by man shall his blood be shed: for in the image of God made he man.
- The death penalty didn’t exist until this point in time right here.
- Why was the death penalty implemented by God? Because of murder and violence.
- God says, “Hey, look. I gave the people chances. It doesn’t work that way. You want to kill? You will be put to death.”
- This is capital punishment. MAN WILL PUT YOU TO DEATH IF YOU KILL. Death penalty in Genesis 9:6.
People will say that the death penalty is not Biblical.
- Do they not see who created the death penalty? GOD CREATED THE PENALTY.
- This wasn’t God’s design for man. God didn’t want man killing man.
- Without the death penalty, man will KILL man. That’s why we need laws and government to do this.
- Without the death penalty, violence will increase. Guaranteed.
 Romans 13:1 Let every soul be subject unto the higher powers. For there is no power but of God: the powers that be are ordained of God.
- Look at that. If someone is in power. You can know that God gave them that position.
- Are they Godly people? Maybe and maybe not.
- God puts people in positions in the Bible who aren’t Godly people.
- He makes examples out of them both good and bad. In other words, be subject to the higher powers.
- The higher powers will implement the death penalty if they follow God’s lead.
- Government is there to take care of punishment of evil doers. That’s the purpose of the government.
- Government steps way outside of that purpose God gave them so God didn’t give the government complete authority.
- We’ll go over that more when we hit that in Romans Chapter 13.
But look, It works out better when you follow God’s lead on everything.
- God’s law is PERFECT. Is it right to implement the death penalty for murder? YES!!! God said so.
- PERIOD. END OF DEBATE.
- If we wanted a country setup perfectly, we’d have ONLY the laws in the Bible and the ONLY job of the government would be to punish evil doers. That’s it.
- The government would be very small and we would have much more freedom.
- It’s nothing close to what we have today. Not even close.
- What do we get? Government gets bigger and bigger and bigger until it fails.
- And that’s exactly what’s happening today. It goes against the Bible and it will fail.
- So, ALL OF THE GOVERNMENT’S LAWS are not GOD’S LAWS
God’s Law Is The Supreme Law For Us To Follow
We are to be subject to God given authorities BUT we never go against God and HIS LAW for us.
- God’s law TAKES ALL PRECEDENCE over all man-made laws.
- If in conflict, you ALWAYS side with God’s law.
- An example is parents and their children. Parents have authority over their children.
- That’s God given authority.
- If your parents tell you to do something wrong, you can side with God’s law. And the child will be right.
- Will the parents be angry? Probably. But God won’t be.
 Acts 5:29 Then Peter and the other apostles answered and said, We ought to obey God rather than men.
- That right there is always the best choice no matter whose telling you to do something.
- Hopefully your parents won’t tell you to go against God.
- But if they do, understand that you have God backing you.
- There’s NO ONE better to back you up than God.
- You always choose the higher power to follow. And there is NONE HIGHER than God Almighty.
- If I teach or say something that doesn’t match the Bible, you always go with the Bible.
- Same thing with the church. You always choose the HIGHER POWER over any man.
- Always remember that when Noah stepped off that ARK got implemented the death penalty.
- He didn’t want all of the violence to start again as it did before the flood.
- We don’t need violence. There’s less violence when penalties are given by the government.
- Let’s go back to Genesis Chapter 4 and finish up. Verse 25.
 Genesis 4:25 And Adam knew his wife again; and she bare a son, and called his name Seth: For God, said she, hath appointed me another seed instead of Abel, whom Cain slew.
- Again, Adam knew his wife and Eve bare a son. Abel is gone from the earth. Cain was left.
- Now there’s a new son called Seth.
 Genesis 4:26 And to Seth, to him also there was born a son; and he called his name Enos: then began men to call upon the name of the LORD.
- And then we move right to the next generation after Seth
- To Seth was born Enos.
- And that’s when men began to call upon the name of the Lord.
- And that’s a VERY important part of the ENTIRE BIBLE.
- This is the first instance you’ll see when men begin to CALL UPON THE NAME OF THE LORD
Call Upon The Name Of The Lord To Be Saved Right Now
When you call upon the name of the Lord, this is talking about getting SAVED.
- The Bible talks about calling upon the name of the Lord over and over again
- People are saved in the same way all throughout the ENTIRE BIBLE
- Believing God and HIS PROMISES to us is all it takes to be saved
- Abraham did it. And you’ll see that it starts right here in Genesis Chapter 4.
 Romans 10:12-14 For there is no difference between the Jew and the Greek: for the same Lord over all is rich unto all that call upon him. 13 For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved. 14 How then shall they call on him in whom they have not believed? and how shall they believe in him of whom they have not heard? and how shall they hear without a preacher?
- Today, if you want to be saved and receive the gift of eternal life, simply call out to God in faith.
- He says, “WHOSOEVER CALL UPON THE NAME OF THE LORD SHALL BE SAVED!”
- God HIMSELF says so. Not me. God said it and that’s what He means.
And yes, all it takes is FAITH to be saved.
- The Bible says, “How shall you call upon the Lord if you have not believed?”
- Once you believe on the Lord to save you, you’re saved. That’s what GOD SAYS.
- I hope you now have a much better understanding of Genesis Chapter 4.