- Sermon Slides for Sermon Proverbs Chapter 4: Slides
- Printable PDF for Sermon Proverbs Chapter 4: PDF
- Audio MP3 for Sermon Proverbs Chapter 4: Audio
- Video MP4 for Sermon Proverbs Chapter 4: Video
 The title of the sermon today is “PROVERBS CHAPTER 4.” Let’s start there in verse 1.
God Says, “Listen Up, Children”
 Proverbs 4:1 Hear, ye children, the instruction of a father, and attend to know understanding.
- The Bible constantly commands us to HEAR the instruction of a father.
- For a child, a good father, is one that child can trust and go to when they need understanding.
- “Dad, I don’t understand this. Can you help me? A good father will help that child.”
- As children, we need to hear the instruction of a father.
- With that instruction comes knowledge and understanding.
 Proverbs 1:8 My son, hear the instruction of thy father, and forsake not the law of thy mother:
 Proverbs 6:20-22 My son, keep thy father’s commandment, and forsake not the law of thy mother: 21 Bind them continually upon thine heart, and tie them about thy neck. 22 When thou goest, it shall lead thee; when thou sleepest, it shall keep thee; and when thou awakest, it shall talk with thee.
 Psalm 34:11 Come, ye children, hearken unto me: I will teach you the fear of the LORD.
- As parents, we should be saying these things to our children. “Come children, listen to these words.”
- “I will teach you the fear of the Lord. The fear of the Lord is the beginning of understanding.”
 1 Thessalonians 2:11-12 As ye know how we exhorted and comforted and charged every one of you, as a father doth his children, 12 That ye would walk worthy of God, who hath called you unto his kingdom and glory.
- A father will exhort or lead his children to good things such as the fear of the Lord, faith, love, following God’s commandments.
- A father will comfort his children when they need it. “As a father doth his children.”
- “CHILDREN, HEAR THE INSTRUCTION OF A FATHER.”
- A good father will teach his children to walk worthy of God.
- God has called these children into his kingdom, and we will teach these children the word of God.
- And with the word of God comes knowledge, wisdom, and understanding.
Some parents want so much for their children. They want them to have everything they never had.
- And some parents are trying very hard to provide all of these things for their children.
- But many of the goals a parent has are misguided if they aren’t rooted in the word of God.
- Some of them work hard day in and day out so their children can go to private school versus public school.
- That’s a misguided goal not rooted in the word of God. But they care for their children and love them.
But those parents need to see that there is nothing better for the child you love than the word of God.
- If you don’t want your child going down the wrong path, they need to hear the word of God.
- Nothing else is going to keep them from going down the wrong path.
- If you truly love your child, you MUST give them the word of God in their life.
- Without God’s word, they are going down the wrong road and there will be pain.
- There will be suffering. There will be sin. There will be death. And you don’t want that.
And let me make this note before we move on today. A child is not defined as under 18 years old.
- A child is defined as a son of the father. A child is defined as a son of the mother.
- A child is defined as the daughter of a father or the daughter of the mother.
- If I’m going down the wrong path, I expect my Dad to let me know.
- I expect my Mom to let me know. “Son, you need to get back to God’s word.”
- Some people might say this about their children: “They are on their own now because they are 18.”
- “I can’t tell them what to do any more.”
Let me tell you something. If my child is not married and living at home, that child does what I say.
- That child is still under my authority no matter what he or she thinks.
- That child will read the Bible with me. That child will go to church with me.
- I will do what I can to teach that child the word of God.
- If they want to reject God and His instruction, they won’t live under my roof.
- If they are married, they make their own choices now and they aren’t under my roof.
- I’m not going to force them to do anything. But, under my roof, they will learn the word of God.
 Genesis 18:19 For I know him, that he will command his children and his household after him, and they shall keep the way of the LORD, to do justice and judgment; that the LORD may bring upon Abraham that which he hath spoken of him.
- A father is to COMMAND HIS CHILDREN and his household. Understand that.
- God already knows you. He knew Abraham. As a father, do you want to be like Abraham right there?
- I sure do. I want God to say, “For I know him, that he will command his children and household.”
- Command them to do what? “They shall keep the way of the Lord.”
- And who doesn’t want the Lord’s way? It’s the absolute best way there is no matter what you think.
 Joshua 24:15 And if it seem evil unto you to serve the LORD, choose you this day whom ye will serve; whether the gods which your fathers served that were on the other side of the flood, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land ye dwell: but as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD.
- If my child is living in my house, WE WILL SERVE THE LORD. We will read the Bible together.
- We will pray together. We will study the Bible together. We will go to church together.
- And I’m not talking about a false church that would then teach lies to my child. Not that church.
- We’ll teach our children the truth. God’s word is truth. These children will be saved through truth.
- Every good father wants this for his children. So children, hear the instruction of a father.
- Let’s continue in Proverbs Chapter 2.
 Proverbs 4:2 For I give you good doctrine, forsake ye not my law.
- Hear the instruction of a father because he gives you good doctrine. FORSAKE NOT GOD’S LAW.
- Good doctrine or teaching comes from God’s law. It comes from His words.
- For example, the doctrine of Abraham’s bosom is not good doctrine. It’s not in the Bible.
- It’s a fairy tale. We don’t teach our children lies. We teach them good doctrine from God’s mouth.
- So, let’s stop with all the lies. Let’s stop teaching our children lies of this world.
- Let’s start teaching them good doctrine. And there is just one who is good and that is God.
I Can’t Teach Good Things Without God’s Word
How can someone like me who sins all the time teach someone good things?
- I can only do that through the word of God and through the wisdom He gives me because He is good.
- I’m not good without Him. The only goodness I have comes from Him. And His words are goodness.
 Proverbs 8:6-7 Hear; for I will speak of excellent things; and the opening of my lips shall be right things. 7 For my mouth shall speak truth; and wickedness is an abomination to my lips.
- That’s what we need to be speaking. EXCELLENT THINGS. God’s word equals pure excellence.
- I don’t want to be a liar any more. I want to speak truth and not lies which are wickedness.
- I don’t want teach the children I love lies and wickedness as they do in the schools, private and public.
 Proverbs 22:20-21 Have not I written to thee excellent things in counsels and knowledge, 21 That I might make thee know the certainty of the words of truth; that thou mightest answer the words of truth to them that send unto thee?
- Your children will look to you for truth. Will you give them excellent things or wickedness?
- Will you answer them with words of truth?
 Titus 1:9 Holding fast the faithful word as he hath been taught, that he may be able by sound doctrine both to exhort and to convince the gainsayers.
- We need to HOLD FAST the faithful word of God. We need to keep His words with us constantly.
- Tie His words around our neck. Hide His words without our heart. Why?
- So that we always give sound doctrine and good teaching. We always want to spread truth.
- And if we teach the right things, THEN our children will be able to follow God’s commandments.
- If we don’t teach them the right things, we’re throwing them out there to the wolves.
- And God knows that we don’t want that for our children. Let’s continue in Proverbs Chapter 4.
 Proverbs 4:3 For I was my father’s son, tender and only beloved in the sight of my mother.
- I hope you’re seeing the point God is making right here. This is Solomon writing here through God.
- David was his father. Every child is tender.
- Every child needs their father and their mother to show them the truth. They need them.
Making money is not important compared to the truth. Nothing is more important than the truth.
- And God is truth. Nothing is more important than Him. With Him, we have life.
- Without Him, we have death. Finding God is finding truth.
- Solomon was beloved in the sight of his mother. His mother was Bathsheba.
 2 Samuel 12:24-25 And David comforted Bath-sheba his wife, and went in unto her, and lay with her: and she bare a son, and he called his name Solomon: and the LORD loved him. 25 And he sent by the hand of Nathan the prophet; and he called his name Jedidiah, because of the LORD.
- “And the Lord loved Solomon.” It wasn’t just David and Bathsheba who loved Solomon.
- The Lord loved Solomon. And did you ever notice that Solomon is also called Jedidiah?
- Jedidiah means BELOVED OF THE LORD. God loved that child Solomon.
- Bathsheba loved that child Solomon. Any good mother will love their children greatly.
 Proverbs 4:4 He taught me also, and said unto me, Let thine heart retain my words: keep my commandments, and live.
- We see that David teaches Solomon the truth about God. “Let thine heart retain my words.”
- “Keep my commandments and live.” That’s what we all want for our children. We want them to live.
- But this is also speaking about God being the father of Solomon. Hear this today.
 1 Chronicles 28:2-3 Then David the king stood up upon his feet, and said, Hear me, my brethren, and my people: As for me, I had in mine heart to build an house of rest for the ark of the covenant of the LORD, and for the footstool of our God, and had made ready for the building: 3 But God said unto me, Thou shalt not build an house for my name, because thou hast been a man of war, and hast shed blood.
 1 Chronicles 28:4 Howbeit the LORD God of Israel chose me before all the house of my father to be king over Israel for ever: for he hath chosen Judah to be the ruler; and of the house of Judah, the house of my father; and among the sons of my father he liked me to make me king over all Israel:
 1 Chronicles 28:5-6 And of all my sons, (for the LORD hath given me many sons,) he hath chosen Solomon my son to sit upon the throne of the kingdom of the LORD over Israel. 6 And he said unto me, Solomon thy son, he shall build my house and my courts: for I have chosen him to be my son, and I will be his father.
- God says, “For I have chosen Solomon to be my son, and I will be his Father.”
 1 Chronicles 28:7-8 Moreover I will establish his kingdom for ever, if he be constant to do my commandments and my judgments, as at this day. 8 Now therefore in the sight of all Israel the congregation of the LORD, and in the audience of our God, keep and seek for all the commandments of the LORD your God: that ye may possess this good land, and leave it for an inheritance for your children after you for ever.
 1 Chronicles 28:9 And thou, Solomon my son, know thou the God of thy father, and serve him with a perfect heart and with a willing mind: for the LORD searcheth all hearts, and understandeth all the imaginations of the thoughts: if thou seek him, he will be found of thee; but if thou forsake him, he will cast thee off for ever.
- David says, “Solomon, serve the Lord with a perfect heart.”
- Why aren’t parents teaching their children the same thing today? Most aren’t.
- David says to Solomon, “If you seek God, you will find God. If you forsake God, you’ll be cast off forever.”
- In order to seek God, you must first believe that He is God. You will find Him.
Keep the commandments of God and live. First know His words and then keep them.
- You can’t keep them without first knowing them.
- If you choose to follow God and His commandments, you will live.
- If you choose sin, which is not following God’s commandments, you will die.
 Proverbs 7:2 Keep my commandments, and live; and my law as the apple of thine eye.
 Leviticus 18:4-5 Ye shall do my judgments, and keep mine ordinances, to walk therein: I am the LORD your God. 5 Ye shall therefore keep my statutes, and my judgments: which if a man do, he shall live in them: I am the LORD.
 Isaiah 55:3 Incline your ear, and come unto me: hear, and your soul shall live; and I will make an everlasting covenant with you, even the sure mercies of David.
- If we would simply hear what God says, we will live.
- We need to be teaching these things to our children. Teach them to be saved.
- Teach them to study God’s words. Teach them to not sin. Teach them life and not death.
 John 12:49-50 For I have not spoken of myself; but the Father which sent me, he gave me a commandment, what I should say, and what I should speak. 50 And I know that his commandment is life everlasting: whatsoever I speak therefore, even as the Father said unto me, so I speak.
- God’s commandment is life everlasting. God commands us to believe on the Lord Jesus Christ to be saved.
- That’s the truth, and believing “ON” Jesus Christ is the only requirement to receive life everlasting.
- Keep His commandments and you will live. FAITH and you will live. FAITH and then you can obey God.
- FAITH and then you can keep His commandments.
 Proverbs 4:5 Get wisdom, get understanding: forget it not; neither decline from the words of my mouth.
- Do not stray from the word of God. DO NOT decline the words from God’s mouth.
- Don’t ignore his words because you’re rejecting wisdom and understanding.
- Don’t forget His words. Keep them and FORGET THEM NOT.
 2 Chronicles 34:1-2 Josiah was eight years old when he began to reign, and he reigned in Jerusalem one and thirty years. 2 And he did that which was right in the sight of the LORD, and walked in the ways of David his father, and declined neither to the right hand, nor to the left.
- So many adults think they are so smart compared to all the children.
- Well, Josiah, at 8 years old, was much smarter than most people in this world today.
- He did that which was right in the sight of the Lord, and walked in the ways of David his father.
- He didn’t stray to the right hand nor to the left.
 2 Chronicles 34:3 For in the eighth year of his reign, while he was yet young, he began to seek after the God of David his father: and in the twelfth year he began to purge Judah and Jerusalem from the high places, and the groves, and the carved images, and the molten images.
- While he was young, he began to seek after God. That’s what we need to teach our children.
- We need to purge our homes like that young man did right there in that Scripture.
- At 16 years old, he’s getting it. Eighth year of his reign. He gets rid of the false gods.
- We need to make sure the world doesn’t trick us into going the opposite way.
- We need to stick to the word of God to make sure we aren’t deceived.
Hold Your Steps Within God’s Path For You
 Job 23:11 My foot hath held his steps, his way have I kept, and not declined.
- Keep God’s way and the way of the world. Not the way of the religions. Not the way of the pastors.
- Not the way of the so-called “great men of god” in the false churches.
- We are to keep God’s ways and not the ways of men and women of this world.
 Psalm 119:51 The proud have had me greatly in derision: yet have I not declined from thy law.
- The people of this world will come after you and make you think twice about following God.
- But don’t let them stop you from following God. Keep His ways and keep His words.
 Proverbs 4:6 Forsake her not, and she shall preserve thee: love her, and she shall keep thee.
- This is talking about wisdom and understanding. Don’t forsake wisdom. Wisdom will preserve you.
- Love wisdom and wisdom will keep you. Wisdom only comes from God’s word.
- Have faith in God’s word and understand that faith in Jesus Christ is wisdom.
- The wisest thing that I’ve ever done was believe on the Lord Jesus Christ.
 Ephesians 3:17-19 That Christ may dwell in your hearts by faith; that ye, being rooted and grounded in love, 18 May be able to comprehend with all saints what is the breadth, and length, and depth, and height; 19 And to know the love of Christ, which passeth knowledge, that ye might be filled with all the fulness of God.
- Be rooted and grounded in love who is God and our Savior Jesus Christ. This is wisdom. Love wisdom.
- And God will keep you and preserve you. Know the love of Christ which passeth knowledge.
- Do you see that? The love of Christ passeth knowledge. That’s where you get wisdom and knowledge.
- Jesus Christ provides you with wisdom and knowledge because you’ve trusted Him.
- And all because of that trust, He says: “Here’s my wisdom, knowledge, and love. You’ve got it.”
 Proverbs 4:7 Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding.
- If you have any wisdom at all, this means you’ve trusted God. You’ve sought after God and found Him.
- WISDOM IS “THE” PRINCIPAL THING. And God says, “therefore GET WISDOM.”
- He’s commanding us to get wisdom. It’s not optional. Trust Him and get wisdom.
- And when you go get that wisdom, get understanding. That’s what we need.
 Ecclesiastes 7:12 For wisdom is a defence, and money is a defence: but the excellency of knowledge is, that wisdom giveth life to them that have it.
- If you have wisdom from God, you have life. Wisdom is the principal thing.
 Luke 10:39 And she had a sister called Mary, which also sat at Jesus’ feet, and heard his word.
 Luke 10:42 But one thing is needful: and Mary hath chosen that good part, which shall not be taken away from her.
- Mary sat there at the feet of Jesus seeking His wisdom and wanted to simply hear His words.
- She wanted that wisdom from Jesus Christ. So she sat there at His feet.
- You have God’s word there for you to sit there and read at His feet. Are you doing that?
- If not, think about that story of Mary sitting there and wanting to hear His words.
Those words and that wisdom, Jesus says, will not be taken away from her.
- No one can take the word of God out of your heart. Store it up in there. No one can take it. God says so.
- And there’s absolutely NOTHING more important than that.
- Some people seek after actual riches, treasure, expensive food, expensive clothing, nice cars, nice homes.
- But don’t be fooled by all those things. There’s nothing more important than seeking wisdom from God.
 Proverbs 4:8 Exalt her, and she shall promote thee: she shall bring thee to honour, when thou dost embrace her.
- God says to exalt wisdom. What does that mean? Raise wisdom up and realize how important wisdom is.
- But the pastors and preachers in churches today will tell you to not exalt God’s word.
- “You’re placing the word of God on a pedestal. You’re placing God’s wisdom on a pedestal.”
- “You’re placing the words of Jesus Christ on a pedestal. How dare you.”
- “You want to magnify God’s words but you don’t want to listen to mine,” says the false preacher.
- Hey, stop listening to those lying false preachers and listen to God’s word. Magnify His words.
Exalt wisdom. Go after it with everything you have, and wisdom will promote you.
- Are you looking for a promotion at work? Go after God’s word and His wisdom. You’ll get a promotion.
- How do I know that? Because God says exalt wisdom and she shall promote thee.
- And it won’t be the promotion you wanted. It will be a promotion much greater.
- EMBRACE WISDOM, and she shall bring thee to honor. Don’t you want to have honor?
- In order to get it, you simple go after wisdom with everything you have. Not money. WISDOM.
- So many people go after money in this world. STOP. Instead, go after wisdom from God’s word.
 Proverbs 4:9 She shall give to thine head an ornament of grace: a crown of glory shall she deliver to thee.
- Wisdom is trusting in God. What happens when you trust in God and gain God’s wisdom?
- Wisdom gives your head an ornament of grace meaning you didn’t deserve it.
- But even when you didn’t deserve it, God gives you a crown of glory.
- And where do you think that crown of glory came from?
 Hebrews 2:9 But we see Jesus, who was made a little lower than the angels for the suffering of death, crowned with glory and honour; that he by the grace of God should taste death for every man.
- That crown of glory came from Jesus Christ. He picks it up for you and puts it on your head.
- That’s His crown because He tasted death for you. He shares His crown with you.
- But that crown only comes to you by the grace of God which He gives you once you have faith.
 Proverbs 4:10 Hear, O my son, and receive my sayings; and the years of thy life shall be many.
- Receive the words of a good father and you will live longer.
- Take God’s words, receive them into your heart, store them, and your life will increase.
- The years of your life shall be many. That’s what God promises you. Wisdom equals long life.
 Deuteronomy 6:2 That thou mightest fear the LORD thy God, to keep all his statutes and his commandments, which I command thee, thou, and thy son, and thy son’s son, all the days of thy life; and that thy days may be prolonged.
- God promises this over and over and over again within the Bible. Long life for those who follow Him.
 Proverbs 4:11-12 I have taught thee in the way of wisdom; I have led thee in right paths. 12 When thou goest, thy steps shall not be straitened; and when thou runnest, thou shalt not stumble.
- Is there a perfect human father and mother in existence? There sure isn’t.
- Have we always led our children in the right paths? No, we haven’t. I sure haven’t.
- I’ve messed up. But God says, “I have taught thee in the way of wisdom. I have led thee in right paths.”
- Look, God will NEVER lead you down the wrong path. A false god will lead you down the wrong path.
- A false religion will lead you down the wrong path. But not God Almighty.
When the Bible says, “Thy steps shall not be straitened” this means not impeded or restricted.
- Your steps will not be narrowed. You won’t have trouble walking in the right path.
- When you run, you won’t stumble and fall. God will hold you up when you accept His wisdom.
 Proverbs 4:13 Take fast hold of instruction; let her not go: keep her; for she is thy life.
- When we come together for instruction from God, this should be some of the most important times of your life.
- God teaches me at this time too. More than you might realize.
- When God is teaching us, He says: “TAKE FAST HOLD OF INSTRUCTION AND DON’T LET GO.”
- Show God how much you desire His instruction. Show Him you understand. Keep His instruction.
- “For this instruction is your life,” God says. Ignore His words and nothing good comes from it.
 Proverbs 4:14-17 Enter not into the path of the wicked, and go not in the way of evil men. 15 Avoid it, pass not by it, turn from it, and pass away. 16 For they sleep not, except they have done mischief; and their sleep is taken away, unless they cause some to fall. 17 For they eat the bread of wickedness, and drink the wine of violence.
- I hope everyone is listening to this Scripture especially the children.
- This is how the world works. God says, “Stay away from the path of the wicked.”
- He doesn’t say to jump right in their way and attempt to stop them. GO NOT IN THEIR WAY.
- They are evil. God tells us to stay away from evil. AVOID THEIR WAYS. Pass not by their ways.
- When you see their path over there, God says, go the other way. Don’t go near their way.
Do Not Go Towards The Way Of The Wicked
When you see wickedness over that way, God doesn’t say to go over there and try to stop them.
- He doesn’t say go over, protest, and start yelling at them. He doesn’t say to go fight with the wicked.
- They are over there, and I will not be over there. Now, if they come at me, I will defend myself.
- But I’m not going over in the paths of the wicked. AVOID IT.
God doesn’t say to invite wickedness and evil into the church either. “Every wicked person is welcome here.”
- No, God says to avoid their paths. He doesn’t say to bring wicked pedophiles into the church.
- He doesn’t say to bring abominations into the church. STAY AWAY FROM THEM.
- Why is that? Because they will not sleep until they’ve done mischief to you.
- They will not STOP until they have hurt someone. That’s what God is telling us.
- They will not go to sleep until they have caused you and others to fall.
- THEY EAT THE BREAD OF WICKEDNESS AND DRINK THE WINE OF VIOLENCE.
- So, what are you going to do? Are you going to change them? Is that what you think?
- No, they’re going to cause you to fall. That’s what God says. Trust His words, and you’ll be wise.
 Proverbs 1:16 For their feet run to evil, and make haste to shed blood.
 Isaiah 57:20 But the wicked are like the troubled sea, when it cannot rest, whose waters cast up mire and dirt.
 Micah 2:1 Woe to them that devise iniquity, and work evil upon their beds! when the morning is light, they practise it, because it is in the power of their hand.
- You don’t want to be close to the paths of the wicked.
- Their feet run to evil and they’re in a hurry to shed blood.
- They can’t rest until they’ve cast up a lot of dirt and mud. They’re trying to capture you.
- They work evil constantly. Even in the morning, they are practicing evil. You won’t change them.
 Proverbs 4:18 But the path of the just is as the shining light, that shineth more and more unto the perfect day.
- The path of the just is Jesus Christ. He is “THE” shining light. And His light never goes out.
- His light shines more and more. He gives you more and more of His wisdom as you follow Him.
- He never runs out of wisdom and knowledge to give you. SEEK AFTER HIM, and you’ll see.
- The perfect day is coming. That’s the day when you become perfect in your new body.
- No more sin. No more bad thoughts. No more doing what you don’t want to do.
- No more weakness in your flesh. Let’s choose to walk after Jesus Christ and nothing else.
- Don’t you want to be a shining light in this world? Here’s how to be a shining light:
 Job 11:13-15 If thou prepare thine heart, and stretch out thine hands toward him; 14 If iniquity be in thine hand, put it far away, and let not wickedness dwell in thy tabernacles. 15 For then shalt thou lift up thy face without spot; yea, thou shalt be stedfast, and shalt not fear:
 Job 11:16-18 Because thou shalt forget thy misery, and remember it as waters that pass away: 17 And thine age shall be clearer than the noonday; thou shalt shine forth, thou shalt be as the morning. 18 And thou shalt be secure, because there is hope; yea, thou shalt dig about thee, and thou shalt take thy rest in safety.
- Stretch out your hands toward God. Get rid of iniquity in your hand. Keep wickedness far away.
- And that can only be done with God’s help, and you don’t get His help without faith in His words.
- Once you do those things, THOU SHALT SHINE FORTH. Just like the morning light you will shine.
- And as the sun comes up, you’ll shine more and more and more.
 Hosea 6:3 Then shall we know, if we follow on to know the LORD: his going forth is prepared as the morning; and he shall come unto us as the rain, as the latter and former rain unto the earth.
- His going forth is prepared as the morning. As the sun comes up, your light starts to shine.
- And it gets brighter and brighter IF we follow on to know the Lord.
- And when we do that, HE SHALL COME UNTO US AS THE RAIN!!! And He will pour down His love to us.
- He will pour His wisdom and knowledge on to us. Understand that today.
- But let’s say we choose the other way and want to be wicked.
 Proverbs 4:19 The way of the wicked is as darkness: they know not at what they stumble.
- You will fall all over the place. You won’t even know what caused you to fall.
- “What did I do wrong? Why is this happening?”
- You won’t even realize what you’ve done wrong because you don’t know His words.
- And without His words, it’s just darkness. His words are the light. Jesus is the light of the world.
Without Him, there is ONLY darkness. There is nothing else that brings light but Jesus Christ.
- When you go do a good work not in faith, that doesn’t bring any light to you.
- If you get baptized and you didn’t put all your trust in Jesus Christ first, that doesn’t bring light.
- Baptism is a work. It’s not a good work unless you did it in faith. If not in faith, it’s not good at all.
- Jesus is the light. YOU MUST HAVE HIM FIRST. And then the light comes.
- Then, God will see your good works because they are all lit up with the light from Jesus Christ.
- Without that light, those so-called good works are done in darkness. He doesn’t see them.
 Acts 8:36-37 And as they went on their way, they came unto a certain water: and the eunuch said, See, here is water; what doth hinder me to be baptized? 37 And Philip said, If thou believest with all thine heart, thou mayest. And he answered and said, I believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God.
- “IF” thou believest with all thine heart, then you may be baptized.
- If you don’t believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God with all your heart, then you shouldn’t be baptized.
- If you do believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God and you haven’t been baptized, you should be baptized immediately.
- Once you believe on Jesus Christ, your baptism will light up and God will see that you love Him.
- You’re doing what He asked you to do, and He will see that. You followed the right path.
- You followed His path, and His path is THE ONLY path that is lit. I hope you’re seeing this path.
 Proverbs 4:20-21 My son, attend to my words; incline thine ear unto my sayings. 21 Let them not depart from thine eyes; keep them in the midst of thine heart.
- My son, my son, my son. My child, my child, my child. God says this over and over again.
- If you’re hearing and understanding His words that we’re going over, you are His child.
- If you’ve believed on the Lord Jesus Christ, you are His child forevermore.
- “My son, attend to MY WORDS. Incline thine ear unto MY SAYINGS.” His words. His sayings.
- Not mine. Not another preacher’s. Not another pastor’s. He wants you to hear His words.
- And once you’ve seen them, He says don’t let them depart from your eyes.
Keep them right in the middle of your heart. What’s the deepest part of your heart? THE MIDDLE.
- Keep them in the midst or middle of your heart. Don’t lose them. Don’t forget them.
- Don’t forsake God’s word. You’ll be in big trouble. You don’t want that.
- Do you notice how many times God tells us this just in the Book of Proverbs? Many times. Why?
 Proverbs 4:22 For they are life unto those that find them, and health to all their flesh.
- God’s words are LIFE unto those that find them. No one can create life.
- People search for the fountain of youth. People think they can extend their lives in so many ways.
- No one can live forever on their own. If people would just realize His words are the key to life.
- And to life everlasting. Life that never ends. It’s all right here in His words. That’s it.
His Words Are Health To Your Flesh
His words are HEALTH to all their flesh. You might say, “I’m having troubles. I’m getting old.”
- “My bones are hurting. My joints are hurting. Everything hurts.”
- Well take a look at God’s word and have a little faith. God can help you with anything.
- Treat His words like they are health to your flesh and see what happens. Give it a shot.
- Increase your faith in God, and you won’t be disappointed.
 Proverbs 12:18 There is that speaketh like the piercings of a sword: but the tongue of the wise is health.
- The tongue of the wise speaks God’s word and realizes what they have.
- We need to realize what we have in God’s word. We have health and life.
- Is your body still going to die? Yes. For the wages of sin is death. Your body will die.
- But it doesn’t mean it has to be an extremely painful death. Trust God and His words.
- And if you must go through pain, do it with thanks to God for all that He’s done for you.
 Proverbs 4:23 Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life.
- Keep your heart with all diligence because the issues of life come out of your heart.
- Your heart and soul cannot forget many things that you see in this life.
- Make sure you don’t vex your heart and soul by being around wickedness. Don’t be like Lot.
- Look out for what you hang around. Remember, stay away from the paths of the wicked.
I’ve seen things in my life and experienced things in my life that I can’t forget. I am ashamed of those things.
- God says, “Keep your heart with all diligence.” It is not something little to be around wickedness.
- “Oh, it doesn’t matter. I’m just having a little fun. Can’t we have fun sometimes?”
- No, it doesn’t work that way. It’s not fun. Being around wickedness is not fun.
- Doing evil things is not fun. Those things are killing you and taking your life away.
They are darkness and darkness is not life. LIGHT IS LIFE.
- The more darkness you let in, the more life you lose. Think of that way. Stay away from wicked things.
- Alcohol, drugs, lust, lying, stealing, fornication, adultery, fear, murder, sorcery, idols.
- DARKNESS. Get away from all of it and go to the light who is Jesus Christ. THEN you’ll find LIFE.
- None of those dark things are life. They are death disguised as life by the wicked one.
- Don’t let Satan trick you and deceive you.
 Proverbs 4:24-25 Put away from thee a froward mouth, and perverse lips put far from thee. 25 Let thine eyes look right on, and let thine eyelids look straight before thee.
- A froward mouth is anything that speaks against the word of God. ANYTHING. That’s froward.
- If I teach something wrong according to God’s word, which I’m sure I’ve done, that’s froward.
- Now I for sure didn’t do it purposely and God knows that. But we must listen to His words.
- Put that froward speaking away. Put those perverse lips far from thee. You don’t need perverse lips.
Stop wasting your words with nasty and wicked four letter words. We don’t need those words.
- I’ve said a lot of them in my life. God says, “Put those perverse lips away.”
- Just imagine He looks you in the eyes and says, “Don’t say them again.”
- That’s what He’s doing right there EXACTLY. No lies. No perverse words. We don’t need them.
- Instead, let your eyes look straight ahead on God’s path.
- Don’t let your eyes wander to other things. Don’t go on Internet sites where your eyes wander.
- Stay straight on the path of God and HATE all of the other ways. Stick to His path.
 Job 31:1 I made a covenant with mine eyes; why then should I think upon a maid?
- Why would I look at another woman and think about another woman? Don’t do it.
- No wandering eyes. Some men will say, “Well, I can look if I want.”
- God says different. “Let thine eyes look right on. Let thine eyelids look straight.”
 Proverbs 23:26 My son, give me thine heart, and let thine eyes observe my ways.
- If you’ll observe God’s ways, you won’t be using your eyes to look at other things. God doesn’t do that.
- Do you want to understand the importance of what your eyes see? Listen to Jesus speaking here.
 Matthew 6:22-23 The light of the body is the eye: if therefore thine eye be single, thy whole body shall be full of light. 23 But if thine eye be evil, thy whole body shall be full of darkness. If therefore the light that is in thee be darkness, how great is that darkness!
- Keep your eyes on the single path that God gives you. THEN, you shall be full of light.
 Proverbs 4:26 Ponder the path of thy feet, and let all thy ways be established.
- Think about where you’re going. Don’t just do anything. PONDER or consider your paths.
- Where are your feet usually going? Are they usually moving towards God in all things that you do?
- For example, when you’re at home, are your feet moving to find your Bible and read it?
- Or, are your feet moving to find the remote control for watching TV?
- When you have some time off from work, where are your feet moving to? Is it always towards God?
- Think about it. PONDER the path of your feet. Choose God’s path and your ways will be established.
 Psalm 119:59-60 I thought on my ways, and turned my feet unto thy testimonies. 60 I made haste, and delayed not to keep thy commandments.
- I think on my ways. When I want to do something in life, I think and I ask myself questions.
- Is this really going to glorify God more in my life? If not, I don’t want to go that way.
- I want to turn my feet towards God and go that way. I want to turn my feet to His commandments.
- Too many times we take our time getting to God’s ways. “Oh, I’ll do that another day.”
- “I’ll start reading my Bible faithfully some other time.” No, you need to make haste to get on God’s path.
- DELAY NOT TO KEEP HIS COMMANDMENTS. You need to do what He says right now. Why is that?
 Ezekiel 18:28 Because he considereth, and turneth away from all his transgressions that he hath committed, he shall surely live, he shall not die.
- That’s why you need to get your feet on God’s path and do it right now. Start right now.
- You shall surely live and you shall not die. That’s why you need to get your feet on the right path now.
 Psalm 37:23 The steps of a good man are ordered by the LORD: and he delighteth in his way.
- Allow God to order your steps. Delight in taking God’s steps.
 Psalm 40:2 He brought me up also out of an horrible pit, out of the miry clay, and set my feet upon a rock, and established my goings.
- Let’s get this straight one last time. If you aren’t on God’s path, you are in miry clay.
- You’re stuck in a horrible pit. Seek God, and He will pick you up out of there and set you on a rock.
- He will establish all your goings. JESUS CHRIST IS THAT ROCK. He will save you from that horrible pit.
 2 Thessalonians 3:3 But the Lord is faithful, who shall stablish you, and keep you from evil.
- The key is to simply trust in the Lord. HE IS FAITHFUL. He will save you, establish you, and keep you.
 Proverbs 4:27 Turn not to the right hand nor to the left: remove thy foot from evil.
- God continues to warn us over and over again but some people seem to miss this.
- I missed it most of my life. Why? Because I was hard headed. I had a stiff neck.
- I was going to do it my way. Well, guess what? MY WAY STINKS. I sure learned that the hard way.
- My way had me in a horrible pit that I couldn’t get out of. And I was sinking deeper and deeper.
- God pulled me up out of there once I simply believed on Him and trusted Him will all my heart.
- And now, why would I ever want to turn to the right or to the left and get away from Him? I don’t.
- God says, “TURN NOT TO THE RIGHT HAND NOR TO THE LEFT.”
- If you take one little step towards evil, you better pick your foot back up and get back on His path.
 Joshua 1:7 Only be thou strong and very courageous, that thou mayest observe to do according to all the law, which Moses my servant commanded thee: turn not from it to the right hand or to the left, that thou mayest prosper whithersoever thou goest.
- That’s what we should want for our children and for our fellow Christians.
- Stay on God’s path. Do not turn away from it. If you do, get ready for the darkness.
- Been there and done that. I don’t want any part of that ever again. Let’s stay on that path together.
- If I step off, I need you there to get me back on. If you step off, I’ll be there to pull you back on.
- God’s word will keep us on His path. And it’s an every day thing. EVERY SINGLE DAY ALL DAY LONG.
- If there’s any way you can get more of God’s word in your life, do it.
- If you have the opportunity to listen to God’s word while you’re working, do it.
- STAY ON HIS PATH. His words will do that for you.