- Sermon Slides for Sermon Clothing In The Bible: Slides
- Printable PDF for Sermon Clothing In The Bible: PDF
 The title of the sermon today is “CLOTHING IN THE BIBLE.”
What Does God Want Us To Wear?
- Today, we want to look at what God wants us wearing according to the Bible.
- Some people will say, “It’s not important what you wear.”
- Is that what the Bible says? Does the Bible say that clothing is not important?
- Does God say that you can wear whatever you want?
- No, He doesn’t. God has RULES for our outside appearance within the Bible.
 Matthew 23:26-27 Thou blind Pharisee, cleanse first that which is within the cup and platter, that the outside of them may be clean also. 27 Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye are like unto whited sepulchres, which indeed appear beautiful outward, but are within full of dead men’s bones, and of all uncleanness.
- These PHARISEES look beautiful on the outside Jesus says.
- But on the inside they are unclean. They are full of hypocrisy and iniquity on the inside.
- YES, being SAVED is THE MOST IMPORTANT thing you can do.
- But Jesus says, FIRST clean up the inside and THEN clean up the outside also. That’s what JESUS SAYS.
- In other words, He wants the inside clean first BUT then you need to clean up the outside too.
I can guarantee you right now that what you wear doesn’t determine whether you go to heaven or hell.
- How can I guarantee that? Well, let’s see what Jesus says. When Jesus says something, it’s TRUTH.
 John 6:47 Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me hath everlasting life.
- Does that say, “He that believeth on me and wears the right clothing HATH everlasting life?”
- Does that say, “She that believeth on me and has long hair HATH everlasting life?”
- The only requirement to be saved is to BELIEVE ON the Lord Jesus Christ.
- Once you do that, you HAVE everlasting life that can’t be taken away.
Yeah, you can wear whatever you want and still go to heaven.
- But you better listen to what God wants in the Bible. Don’t you want to know what HE WANTS?
- It’s not all about you and what you want.
- If you want to defy what God wants because “you got your eternal life,” you’re going to have a tough life.
- He’s not taking your eternal life away BUT HE CAN make your life a living hell on earth.
- So, let’s see what the Bible says today about clothing because it is important to God.
- 100%, without a doubt, YOUR OUTSIDE APPEARANCE is important to God.
- And it’s going to be the OPPOSITE OF WHAT THE WORLD tells you. Understand that today.
This isn’t the easiest topic to study within the Bible because there are types of words to study.
- For this sermon, I studied the following words in the Bible:
- Apparel, apparelled, garment, garments, breeches, hosen, coat, coats, robe, robes, raiment.
- Cloth, clothe, clothes, cloths, clothed, clothest, clothing, unclothed, naked, nakedness.
- Gird, girded, girdle, girdles, girdeth, girding, girdest, skirt, skirts, wear, weareth, wore, cloke.
- Linen, wool, woolen, vesture. That’s about everything I could think of for this sermon.
- And yes, this is a HUGE amount of SCRIPTURE. This search results in 971 matches in 708 verses.
To start today, the Bible makes it VERY CLEAR that men and women are different in many ways.
- Yes, we’re BOTH HUMAN, we were both created by God, but we’re different.
- That’s very easy to see and it’s very easy to know.
- When a baby is born, a doctor looks at the baby and can determine immediately: male or female.
- Any human in their right mind can do the exact same thing. And notice I said, “IN THEIR RIGHT MIND.”
SHOW VIDEO THEYBIES
What’s Wrong With The Word “Man?”
Evil bible versions like the NIV, ESV, NKJV, and NASB take out the word MAN.
- It’s very offensive in today’s world. People don’t like MEN any more. They want to get rid of men.
- I’m really not sure why. You need real MEN for the world to continue.
- You need real WOMEN for the world to continue. Again, men and women are different.
- The newest version of the NIV removes the word “HE” 1,090 times compared to the King James.
- “HIM” is removed over 1,600 times. “HIS” is removed over 290 times.
- In total, they removed over 3,000 masculine pronouns. They replace them with they, their, them.
- But, the real Bible without all the words changed, says this today. I used the real BIBLE for this sermon.
 Deuteronomy 22:5 The woman shall not wear that which pertaineth unto a man, neither shall a man put on a woman’s garment: for all that do so are abomination unto the LORD thy God.
- So, the Bible clearly makes a distinction in what MEN AND WOMEN should wear.
- 1) Men wear different clothes than women and 2) Women wear different clothes than men.
- Obviously, there’s a difference there, right? GOD MADE US DIFFERENT. Men and women.
 1 Corinthians 11:14-15 Doth not even nature itself teach you, that, if a man have long hair, it is a shame unto him? 15 But if a woman have long hair, it is a glory to her: for her hair is given her for a covering.
- Men should have short hair. Women should have long hair. There’s an obvious difference.
 Genesis 1:27 So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them.
- Male AND female. If we were the same, there wouldn’t be TWO.
- God created the MALE first and created the FEMALE as a HELPER to the male.
- We are different. I could go on all day about how we’re different, but to me, it’s common sense.
- So, we all know we’re different. With that said, we should look different.
- We should wear different clothing. I didn’t make that up. The Bible says so.
- Let’s read Deuteronomy 22:5 once again.
 Deuteronomy 22:5 The woman shall not wear that which pertaineth unto a man, neither shall a man put on a woman’s garment: for all that do so are abomination unto the LORD thy God.
- So obviously, MEN and WOMEN should wear different clothing.
- The questions we MUST answer today is what should the man not wear that is woman’s clothing?
- And what should the woman not wear that is man’s clothing? You must think about this today.
- What pieces of clothing should a man not wear that pertaineth to a woman?
- This is the easiest of the questions today.
Let’s list out some of the pieces of women’s clothing that a man should NEVER wear:
- A dress. Is it an abomination for a man to wear a woman’s dress? Yes it is.
- Even in our world today, most people would admit this. Though, we’re starting to lose our minds.
[9, 10, 11]
SHOW PICTURES OF MEN WEARING DRESSES
Why Are Men Wearing Dresses?
- Yes, men wearing dresses are an abomination. It makes me sick to look at them.
- Men shouldn’t wear bras, though, some need them because they eat too much and are lazy.
- Men shouldn’t wear women’s underwear of ANY type. It’s sick and nasty.
- Men should not want to look like women. We’re men. Act like it. We are different.
- Do you see how it’s easy to agree that men wearing women’s clothing is an abomination?
With that said, I want to remind you of what happened in the Garden of Eden.
- The man was not deceived. It’s more difficult to deceive the man. The woman was deceived.
- Do you remember that? Now, start to think about what that means in terms of clothing today.
 1 Peter 3:5-7 For after this manner in the old time the holy women also, who trusted in God, adorned themselves, being in subjection unto their own husbands: 6 Even as Sara obeyed Abraham, calling him lord: whose daughters ye are, as long as ye do well, and are not afraid with any amazement. 7 Likewise, ye husbands, dwell with them according to knowledge, giving honour unto the wife, as unto the weaker vessel, and as being heirs together of the grace of life; that your prayers be not hindered.
- The HOLY WOMEN, yes it calls them HOLY WOMEN, were in subjection to their own husbands.
- The wife is the weaker vessel the Bible says. There’s obviously a difference.
- The woman is the weaker vessel. Satan chose the woman to deceive because it was easier to do.
- Does it mean the man can’t be deceived? No, obviously, the man can be deceived too.
- But the woman is the easier of the two to deceive.
- And then the man’s weakness is the woman. She can then deceive the man.
 1 Timothy 2:11-14 Let the woman learn in silence with all subjection. 12 But I suffer not a woman to teach, nor to usurp authority over the man, but to be in silence. 13 For Adam was first formed, then Eve. 14 And Adam was not deceived, but the woman being deceived was in the transgression.
- Now, with all of that SCRIPTURE in mind, think about the state of men and women’s clothing today.
- In our society today, it’s still an abomination for men to wear women’s clothing.
- BUT, that’s slowly starting to change. You’re starting to see it. That’s what Satan wants.
- But notice what has happened to women’s clothing in today’s world.
- It’s perfectly fine for women to wear men’s clothing. Nothing is off limits. Boxer shorts are underwear.
- Women love to wear boxer shorts. Work pants. Women love to wear men’s pants.
- Think about it. It’s okay for women to wear men’s clothing. It’s not seen as an abomination.
In other words, women have been deceived much easier than men. But the men are getting there.
- As a man today, I WILL NOT WEAR A WOMAN’S DRESS. EVER. I will not do it.
- You’ll have to kill me before I put on a woman’s clothing.
- But for women, think about this, you’ll put on a man’s clothing.
- You’ll wear his pants if they fit, his shirts if they fit, and anything else that fits.
- And it’s okay in today’s world. In a hundred years, men will probably be doing the same.
- But it’s taken a much shorter period of time for women to be deceived. Do you see this today?
- As a woman today, you need to take a stand just like I do when it comes to wearing women’s clothing.
- God put it both ways in Deuteronomy 22 verse 5.
- He didn’t say it’s okay for a woman to wear man’s clothing.
So, we know there’s a difference in men’s and women’s clothing. Is there not?
- The Bible says there’s clothing for men and then there’s clothing for women.
- In today’s world, all of women’s clothing can be the same as men’s clothing. That is deception.
What Should Women Not Wear?
We listed out women’s clothing that men shouldn’t wear.
- Remember? Dresses, underwear, bras, anything like that. It’s common sense.
- But now, let’s list out men’s clothing that women shouldn’t wear.
- Keep in mind, in this world today, our minds have been conditioned to this world.
- You can’t really think of anything that pertains to a man that women shouldn’t wear.
- Pants are okay, shirts are okay, coats are okay, robes are okay, shorts are okay.
- What in the world is Deuteronomy 22:5 talking about then?
 Deuteronomy 22:5 The woman shall not wear that which pertaineth unto a man, neither shall a man put on a woman’s garment: for all that do so are abomination unto the LORD thy God.
- “THE WOMAN SHALL NOT WEAR THAT WHICH PERTAINETH UNTO A MAN.”
- What is that verse talking about? In our world today, we have no idea what that means.
- We’re being deceived. A man should dress like a man. A woman should dress like a woman.
- God doesn’t want there to be ANY CONFUSION when you look at a man and a woman.
- Short hair for a man. Long hair for a woman. Men’s clothing for a man. Women’s clothing for a woman.
What clothing would make it very easy to distinguish between a man and a woman?
- In my opinion, that’s the answer to Deuteronomy 22 verse 5.
- Which pieces of clothing are a man’s that a woman should not be wearing?
- We already know through common sense what piece of women’s clothing a man shouldn’t be wearing.
- It’s a dress. A man should NEVER wear a dress. To a real man, the thought of that is disgusting.
So, what’s the piece of clothing for a man that parallels a dress for a woman?
- To me, it MUST be pants. If all men wore pants and had short hair, you could tell a man very easily.
- If all women wore dresses and had long hair, you could tell a woman very easily.
- In today’s world, though, for many people now, you have to guess when you look at them.
- And then they get mad at you when you get it wrong. It’s not your fault. It’s their fault.
And look, I’ve been through all of these same thoughts before that you’re having right now.
- Well, I don’t believe that PANTS are for men only.
- There’s pants for women and there’s pants for men. What’s the difference in the pants then?
- The color? No. The sizes. No. There’s small men and there’s big women.
- I could find a pair of women’s pants that would fit me. You can find men’s pants that will fit women.
- There is no difference. I could find a woman’s dress that would fit me.
- But that makes me sick to my stomach. I hope you’re seeing the point and the deception in the world.
Are Pants For Men, Women, or Both?
If you still think pants are for both men and women, then what is that verse talking about?
- There MUST be some piece of clothing that pertains only to a man.
- And there’s obviously a piece of woman’s clothing that pertains only to a woman. That’s the dress.
- It MUST be pants. Why is that? In today’s world, how do we distinguish men’s and women’s bathrooms.
- Your brain distinguishes between them very quickly with an IMAGE.
- Do you see how quickly you distinguish between the man and the woman?
- Why is that? The woman has a dress on. And what about the “FAMILY” restroom sign?
- A man, a woman, and a child make up a family. It’s easy to distinguish the man from the woman.
- What piece of clothing do all women want to wear at their wedding? A DRESS.
- What do all men want to wear at their wedding? A SUIT WITH PANTS.
God wants us to look like the MAN AND WOMEN HE MADE US TO BE!!!
- He made you either a man or a woman. Be happy with who you are. What’s wrong with that?
- Show who you are. I don’t want to look like a woman. I’m not a woman.
- I don’t want to be feminine acting. The King James Bible calls this effeminate.
- Men should not ATTEMPT TO BE FEMININE!!!
 1 Corinthians 6:9-10 Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind, 10 Nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners, shall inherit the kingdom of God.
- “BE NOT DECEIVED,” the Bible says. That’s a serious list right there.
- “NOR EFFEMINATE” will inherit the kingdom of God. What does that mean?
- That means MEN who act like women. Who act feminine. Who want to wear women’s clothing.
- Effeminate is having the qualities of the female sex, soft, delicate, unmanly, tender, womanish.
- Weak, womanlike, tender, to make womanish, to unman, to weaken, to grow womanish or weak.
- That’s what our male children are being raised up to be in this world today.
You have young men that are being taught by women how to fix their hair and the clothes to wear.
- Hey, I don’t have a son, but I’ll tell you one thing: He would learn how to fix his hair from me.
- Why is that? BECAUSE I’M A MAN!!! You’re a woman. You aren’t men.
- Don’t teach the boys how to fix their hair. DADS, that’s your job.
- “Here son, let me show you how to fix your hair because I’m a man and you are a man too.”
- We walk into the bathroom, look in the mirror, take our hand, run it through our hair. DONE.
- Might take a comb a couple of times. Done. That’s overdoing it in my opinion.
- 3 seconds. Hair done. GET TO WORK. That’s our job. Get to work. Not fixing our hair.
- You don’t need hair gel. You don’t need to get your hair perfect like a little girl.
- STOP ACTING LIKE A LITTLE GIRL!!!
Skinny jeans, tight pants, hip huggers, spandex. None of those things are for ANYONE.
- That includes men and women BUT especially young boys and men growing up.
- It makes me sick as a man to see our future MEN dressing like they do. It’s nasty.
- They’re being FEMINIZED by the homosexual fashion designers. And most women are fine with it too.
- Where are the men at in these young boy’s lives? STAND UP MEN and act like the man God made you.
- “Hey, wife, my son is NOT going to wear that. Here son, let’s mess up your hair that your momma fixed.”
- “Let’s get that hair gel out of your hair, son. Learn to be a man. We don’t need hair gel.”
- Your hair doesn’t need to be perfect. Why? Because you’re going to work, son.
- Your hair will get messed up anyway.
Why Don’t You Work And Put Actual Holes In Your Pants?
As a real man, you don’t need to buy blue jeans with holes already in them.
- Do you know what those holes signify? WORK. You worked so hard that you wore holes in your pants.
- Men don’t want to do any work any more so now they buy pants with holes already in them.
- Hey men, how about you actually go put some holes in your pants yourself?
- BE A MAN AND GET TO WORK. Go mow the yard yourself you lazy bums. Go do some work.
- What’s happening to the men in this world? They’re being FEMINIZED by the women and this world.
- “Well, I don’t let my husband use any power tools.” What??? You don’t LET your husband?
So, you’re WEARING THE PANTS in the family.
- Do you hear that saying today? “Who wears THE PANTS in your family?”
- That’s the leader of the house. That’s supposed to be the MAN, the HUSBAND, according to the Bible.
- But women today want to WEAR THE PANTS. PANTS.
- The saying doesn’t go “Who wears the dress in your family?”
 Daniel 3:21 Then these men were bound in their coats, their hosen, and their hats, and their other garments, and were cast into the midst of the burning fiery furnace.
- Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego wore coats, HOSEN or pants, hats, and other garments.
- The men wore pants. In the time of Moses, men wore pants. In Babylon, the men wore pants.
- Women are never shown wearing pants in the Bible, or in any old images.
- So, let’s take a step back from the types of clothing we should be wearing.
What’s the purpose of clothing in the Bible? We first better get that right.
- Where do we see the first clothes within the Bible?
- Remember the fig leaves that Adam and Eve tried to cover their bodies with?
 Genesis 3:7 And the eyes of them both were opened, and they knew that they were naked; and they sewed fig leaves together, and made themselves aprons.
- They SEWED fig leaves together and made themselves aprons.
- ADAM AND EVE, the first humans, were smart enough to sew fig leaves together and make clothing.
- Some idiots today try to say that dress didn’t exist until the 1600’s, 1700’s, or even the 1800’s.
- They’ll say that humans weren’t smart enough to make dresses until then.
- Those people amaze me. The people from older generations were smarter than we are.
- We don’t have to figure things out like they had to. Adam and Eve sewed fig leaves together.
- They invented clothing. They invented aprons right there in the GARDEN OF EDEN.
But, what was the purpose of the clothing they created?
- It was to hide their nakedness because of sin. It’s a shame to be naked when you have sin.
- When I studied CLOTHING in the Bible for this sermon, I saw how important clothing is in the Bible.
- Do you know why clothing is so important? The story of Adam and Eve tell us why.
- When we’re sinners and not clothed, we’re ashamed. It’s a shame to be NAKED.
- Clothing is a PICTURE OF SALVATION. It’s a picture of being saved from nakedness and shame.
- Adam and Eve tried to cover their own nakedness but FIG LEAVES don’t work very well.
- So God gave them CLOTHING to cover their nakedness. GOD DID. He covered their shame.
 Genesis 3:21 Unto Adam also and to his wife did the LORD God make coats of skins, and clothed them.
- God made them COATS OF SKINS AND CLOTHED THEM.
- To cover their nakedness completely, God says put this coat over your naked bodies.
- He clothed them with LAMB SKIN. He had to sacrifice a LAMB to cover their nakedness and shame.
- Do you see how this is a picture of salvation?
- So, look, covering your nakedness with the right clothing is VERY IMPORTANT.
- Show God that you understand SALVATION in the Bible. You need HIM to cover your nakedness.
But you’re saved so cover your nakedness and shame in this BODY.
- How do you do that? WITH THE PROPER CLOTHING.
- Yes, it’s most important to cover up your nakedness but you also want to look like the man you are.
- Or, you want to look like the woman you are. God made them COATS of skins.
- So, obviously, it’s perfectly fine for both men and women to wear COATS. They are for both.
- PANTS for MEN and DRESSES for WOMEN. And you might say, “Well, I don’t believe that.”
- Yeah, I was the same way. But you have to find a way to explain away Deuteronomy 22 verse 5.
 Exodus 22:26-27 If thou at all take thy neighbour’s raiment to pledge, thou shalt deliver it unto him by that the sun goeth down: 27 For that is his covering only, it is his raiment for his skin: wherein shall he sleep? and it shall come to pass, when he crieth unto me, that I will hear; for I am gracious.
- Clothing is a COVERING for your nakedness and your shame for sin.
- If you aren’t covering your nakedness, there isn’t a point. It’s showing you recognize you’re a sinner.
- So you have all these people wearing clothes that don’t understand why they’re wearing clothes.
- Many of them aren’t ashamed of their sin. But that’s why I love the Bible. They prove it to be true.
- As you know, though, MOST PEOPLE aren’t ashamed of their sin because they go around naked.
- What do I mean by that? Well, what is nakedness? What do we need to cover?
 2 Samuel 10:4 Wherefore Hanun took David’s servants, and shaved off the one half of their beards, and cut off their garments in the middle, even to their buttocks, and sent them away.
- This man cut their garment to their buttocks and sent them away. Why? TO SHAME THEM.
- Your butt showing is your nakedness. Bikini’s aren’t clothing. You might as well go naked.
- What is nakedness in the Bible?
 Isaiah 47:2-3 Take the millstones, and grind meal: uncover thy locks, make bare the leg, uncover the thigh, pass over the rivers. 3 Thy nakedness shall be uncovered, yea, thy shame shall be seen: I will take vengeance, and I will not meet thee as a man.
- Besides your butt being your nakedness, your thighs are also. UNCOVER THE THIGH the verse says.
- “THY NAKEDNESS SHALL BE UNCOVERED.”
 Exodus 28:42-43 And thou shalt make them linen breeches to cover their nakedness; from the loins even unto the thighs they shall reach: 43 And they shall be upon Aaron, and upon his sons, when they come in unto the tabernacle of the congregation, or when they come near unto the altar to minister in the holy place; that they bear not iniquity, and die: it shall be a statute for ever unto him and his seed after him.
- The job of the priest’s is a very serious job. BREECHES to cover their nakedness.
- The definition of BREECHES is a garment worn by MEN that covers the hips and thighs.
- TROWSERS. “To wear the breeches or britches, in the wife, is to usurp authority over the husband.”
God’s Definition Of Naked Is Different Than The World Definition
What’s their nakedness in that SCRIPTURE? “From the loins even unto the thighs they shall reach.”
- From your waist to the bottom of your thighs.
- If it didn’t mean the bottom of your thighs, it would just be a string and it wouldn’t be covering anything.
- For men, it’s okay to wear short pants. For women, it’s okay to wear a dress that goes below your knees.
- And yes, I think women should wear things under the dress so the wind doesn’t show your nakedness.
Do you see what happened to the priests if they uncovered their nakedness in the tabernacle area?
- Clothe them so they don’t show their nakedness that they bear not their iniquity and DIE.
- As we all know, God didn’t play games with those people. Aaron’s sons died.
- A man who wasn’t a Levite touched the ark and died. The Levites were to carry the ark.
- God means BUSINESS when He gives us rules to follow.
- In my life, I would have already been put to death 1,000 times. And for that, I thank God.
- But now I understand the Bible, which is only through Him giving that to me, and I will do what He says.
- And I will do that to the best of my ability, and I’ll still fail. But I’m covered through JESUS CHRIST.
It’s a SHAME to walk around naked. If your thighs are uncovered, you’re naked.
- At swimming pools, there are people walking around naked everywhere. I don’t need to see that.
- Think about that. There are people that wear less than what they wear with underwear. It’s a shame.
 Isaiah 47:3 Thy nakedness shall be uncovered, yea, thy shame shall be seen: I will take vengeance, and I will not meet thee as a man.
- We aren’t supposed to look on someone’s nakedness. That’s tough in this world today.
 Genesis 9:23 And Shem and Japheth took a garment, and laid it upon both their shoulders, and went backward, and covered the nakedness of their father; and their faces were backward, and they saw not their father’s nakedness.
- The other son, HAM, looked on Noah’s nakedness and he was cursed. I don’t want that.
 Habakkuk 2:15 Woe unto him that giveth his neighbour drink, that puttest thy bottle to him, and makest him drunken also, that thou mayest look on their nakedness!
- Some people get others drunk so they can look on their nakedness. That’s just like HAM.
- You don’t have to get people drunk today to do that. Just go to Wal-Mart.
- We aren’t supposed to look on the nakedness of others. So have some respect for others.
- Don’t show your nakedness to people.
Spandex that shows every curve and dimple on your body isn’t covering your nakedness.
- How do you know? If a man stops and stares at your spandex pants, that’s gives you a good idea.
- SPANDEX gets you attention. It’s not covering your nakedness. It’s that simple. Let’s get real.
- The tight little pants that show everything you have MEN AND WOMEN, that’s not covering anything.
“Well, I play volleyball and I have to wear spandex so I can play better.”
- And you’re not ashamed that you’re showing everything you have.
- Old men go to women’s volleyball games just so they can watch you in the spandex.
- Why is that? Because you’re showing your nakedness. They LOVE to see it.
- If that’s okay with you, you don’t understand God. That’s sick. You’re uncovering your body.
- Covering your nakedness is a picture of SALVATION. Show God you understand.
 Isaiah 51:7-8 Hearken unto me, ye that know righteousness, the people in whose heart is my law; fear ye not the reproach of men, neither be ye afraid of their revilings. 8 For the moth shall eat them up like a garment, and the worm shall eat them like wool: but my righteousness shall be for ever, and my salvation from generation to generation.
- When you start looking at clothing within the Bible, you start to see how it is a picture of salvation.
- PUT ON CLEAN CLOTHES the Bible says over and over again. Clothed in white. SPOTLESS.
- The righteousness you have through JESUS CHRIST never gets old like clothing. Never has holes in it.
- It cannot be eaten up by moths. COVERING your nakedness compares to being covered by JESUS.
 Isaiah 59:6 Their webs shall not become garments, neither shall they cover themselves with their works: their works are works of iniquity, and the act of violence is in their hands.
- Do you see the works based salvation mentioned there? You can’t cover yourself with WORKS.
- JESUS CHRIST alone is what covers your sin. SAME AS CLOTHING covering your nakedness or your shame.
 Isaiah 61:10 I will greatly rejoice in the LORD, my soul shall be joyful in my God; for he hath clothed me with the garments of salvation, he hath covered me with the robe of righteousness, as a bridegroom decketh himself with ornaments, and as a bride adorneth herself with her jewels.
- JESUS CLOTHES YOU in garments of salvation.
- I hope you’re beginning to see how important clothing is in the Bible and why.
- The clothing you choose to wear right now is NOT SALVATION, but it is a picture of salvation.
- You need to understand that God made you MAN OR WOMAN.
- You need to understand that JESUS covers all your sin.
And you need to show God you appreciate what He’s given you. Dress like a man. Dress like a woman.
- Say, “God, I thank you for creating me to be a man or a woman. Thank you God.”
- Do you see how arrogant these people are that say, “Whatever God, I will choose my gender!!!”
- That’s telling God you don’t want anything to do with Him. “Who cares what you say, God!!!”
Men Did Not Wear Robes As Their Only Piece Of Clothing
In that verse on the screen there, we see ROBE OF RIGHTEOUSNESS.
- That brings us to the topic of ROBES as clothing. People say, “Well, men wore robes as clothing.”
- Okay, yes, that’s true. Men did wear robes for clothing.
- But do you REALLY THINK that’s they wore for clothing?
- Let’s say I have nothing else on but a robe and I tie it in the front.
- You would see part of my chest and other things. Let’s be truthful here.
You would see my nakedness 100% for sure unless I stood here all day and made sure I was covered completely.
- Let’s use our common sense. Do you think that’s what Jesus wore?
- Do you think that’s what the fishermen wore? Really. They would show their nakedness all the time.
- Did they ride horses with just a robe on? Really? Try to work in a robe and not uncover your nakedness.
- No man should ever be wearing only a robe. EVER. Why? Your nakedness will show.
- Simple movement will cause the robe to come loose.
Let’s take a look at this in the Bible and see who wore robes.
- There’s 36 verses in the Bible that have the word robe or robes in the SCRIPTURE.
- The priests wore robes, coats, girdles. 10 of those 36 verses are about the priests.
- A girdle is just a belt that closes something.
- Like the belt on a robe is a girdle. But we know that the priests didn’t just wear a robe around.
- The robe was on top of the other clothes. It’s an additional cover and another layer of clothing.
- Who else wore robes in the Bible?
 1 Samuel 18:4 And Jonathan stripped himself of the robe that was upon him, and gave it to David, and his garments, even to his sword, and to his bow, and to his girdle.
- Jonathan, King Saul’s son, wore a robe. He gave his robe and other garments to DAVID.
- David is going to be the next KING. King Saul himself wore a robe.
 1 Samuel 24:4 And the men of David said unto him, Behold the day of which the LORD said unto thee, Behold, I will deliver thine enemy into thine hand, that thou mayest do to him as it shall seem good unto thee. Then David arose, and cut off the skirt of Saul’s robe privily.
- The men were not wearing skirts as we think of women’s skirts today.
- SKIRT is a word that has different definitions too.
- The lower and loose part of a coat or other garment, the part below the waist.
- The edge of any part of clothing. The border, the margin, the extreme part. Like the OUT SKIRTS of town.
- A woman’s garment is another definition as we think of it today.
 2 Samuel 13:18 And she had a garment of divers colours upon her: for with such robes were the king’s daughters that were virgins apparelled. Then his servant brought her out, and bolted the door after her.
- The KING’S DAUGHTERS were robes. They didn’t JUST wear robes. They are an outer garment.
- Super heroes wear their inner garments on the outside and their outer garments on the inside.
- They put their UNDER wear on the OUTER side. Robes are outer wear.
- But notice, again, it’s the KING’S DAUGHTERS wearing them. Robes are for both male and female.
The King of Israel and King Jehoshaphat wore robes. The King of Nineveh in the book of Jonah wore a robe.
- So, I went through all the verses in the Bible with robe and robes.
- What about Jesus Christ HIMSELF when He was here on Earth? Did He wear a robe?
- Remember, the ROBE was for royalty. Every instance in the Bible is talking about King’s and their families.
- When Jesus came to earth, do you think He wore a robe to show HIS GREATNESS AS KING?
- Is that why Jesus came to earth the first time? NO, it’s not.
- The Bible NEVER says Jesus wore a robe except for ONE TIME. I’ll read that to you.
 Matthew 27:26-28 Then released he Barabbas unto them: and when he had scourged Jesus, he delivered him to be crucified. 27 Then the soldiers of the governor took Jesus into the common hall, and gathered unto him the whole band of soldiers. 28 And they stripped him, and put on him a scarlet robe.
- They stripped Jesus of HIS NORMAL CLOTHES and put on a scarlet robe on HIM.
- Why? This is where they’re mocking HIM. He came out of NAZARETH.
- It’s sort of like we used to say growing up: “Can anything good come out of Taylorsville?”
- Yeah right, nothing good can come out of Spencer County. They have one stop light.
 John 1:46 And Nathanael said unto him, Can there any good thing come out of Nazareth? Philip saith unto him, Come and see.
- So, Jesus is LOWLY and HUMBLE and came to earth as a SERVANT the first time.
- They put that robe on Jesus to mock HIM.
 Matthew 27:29-31 And when they had platted a crown of thorns, they put it upon his head, and a reed in his right hand: and they bowed the knee before him, and mocked him, saying, Hail, King of the Jews! 30 And they spit upon him, and took the reed, and smote him on the head. 31 And after that they had mocked him, they took the robe off from him, and put his own raiment on him, and led him away to crucify him.
- They put the robe on Jesus to mock HIM and then they took it off.
- The other GOSPELS tell us the same story about the robe.
 Luke 15:21-22 And the son said unto him, Father, I have sinned against heaven, and in thy sight, and am no more worthy to be called thy son. 22 But the father said to his servants, Bring forth the best robe, and put it on him; and put a ring on his hand, and shoes on his feet:
- A robe symbolizes respect and honor. The father gives HIS SON the robe.
- That’s what Jesus is going to give you one day when you reach heaven.
- There’s 3 verses in Revelation with the word ROBES.
 Revelation 6:11 And white robes were given unto every one of them; and it was said unto them, that they should rest yet for a little season, until their fellowservants also and their brethren, that should be killed as they were, should be fulfilled.
 Revelation 7:9 After this I beheld, and, lo, a great multitude, which no man could number, of all nations, and kindreds, and people, and tongues, stood before the throne, and before the Lamb, clothed with white robes, and palms in their hands;
 Revelation 7:13 And one of the elders answered, saying unto me, What are these which are arrayed in white robes? and whence came they?
- WHITE ROBES. In heaven, you will be clothed with a white robe. Not here on earth. You aren’t there yet.
- I left out one verse in the New Testament about robes on purpose. Let’s look at that one.
- After we read this one, you tell me if Jesus Christ wore a robe here on earth at HIS first coming.
- This is JESUS CHRIST speaking in Luke Chapter 20.
 Luke 20:45-47 Then in the audience of all the people he said unto his disciples, 46 Beware of the scribes, which desire to walk in long robes, and love greetings in the markets, and the highest seats in the synagogues, and the chief rooms at feasts; 47 Which devour widows’ houses, and for a shew make long prayers: the same shall receive greater damnation.
- The SCRIBES loved to wear the LONG ROBES, the highest seats, the chief rooms.
- They liked to show that they were something. “LOOK AT ME EVERYONE.”
- Is that what God wants us to do with our clothing? “Hey, look at me everyone.”
- “Look at my great butt in these spandex pants. Look at my chest in this tight shirt.”
- “Look at this $10,000 wedding dress. Do you see the Armani suit I am wearing? I’m something.”
- “Look at my neon pink and neon green hair. I’m awesome. LOOK AT ME. LOOK AT ME. LOOK AT ME.”
Clothing Isn’t For Drawing Attention
Clothing is VERY IMPORTANT in the Bible, but it’s not to say, “Hey, look at me!!!”
- Clothing is to cover your nakedness and to look like the MALE or FEMALE God made you.
 1 Timothy 2:9-10 In like manner also, that women adorn themselves in modest apparel, with shamefacedness and sobriety; not with broided hair, or gold, or pearls, or costly array; 10 But (which becometh women professing godliness) with good works.
- Women should adorn themselves in MODEST APPAREL. Not bold. Restrained. Not trying to stand out.
- Clothing isn’t for that reason. SHAMEFACEDNESS. Bashful. Calm, cool, serious. Sobriety.
- NOT WITH BROIDED or braided, plaited, or interweaved hair. You don’t need gold, pearls.
- You don’t need expensive or costly clothing, jewelry, or decorations.
- What should you think about more than all those things? GOOD WORKS the Bible says.
Stop worrying about standing out with your clothing and stand out in GOOD WORKS.
- For young women who want to be married one day, don’t draw the wrong men.
- The UNGODLY MEN will like the short shorts, the short dresses, everything hanging out.
- You don’t want to draw those men. You want to draw the GODLY MEN who know what the Bible says.
- If you don’t act like all the other women, you will definitely STAND OUT to the GODLY MEN.
Same thing for young men who want to stand out to women.
- You don’t do it by looking like a woman. GODLY WOMEN don’t like feminine MEN.
- They don’t want your hair looking nicer than theirs. They don’t want you to look like a Backstreet Boy.
- They don’t want you to be prettier than them. They want a MAN. Not a woman.
- They want a man that will LEAD and STAND UP for God and STAND UP FOR THEM.
They want a STRONG MAN who can protect and take care of the family. They don’t want a woman.
- They’re looking for a man. So, be a man. You don’t need to look COOL with your hat on backwards.
- Don’t stand out with your clothing, your beautiful hair, your pink shirts, your purple pants.
- Your skinny jeans. Your spandex weight lifting shorts. BE A MAN. Lift weights in FLANNEL SHIRTS.
- Get an axe. Go chop some wood. Grow a beard. Use a sledge hammer. USE POWER TOOLS.
- Get a shovel. Go dig a ditch. Shovel some rock. Shovel some dirt. Mow the yard. DO SOME WORK.
- You’ll stand OUT to the women who want a GODLY MAN.
And if a GODLY woman you want to marry ever asks you, “Do you love me more than anything?”
- Let me give you advice. ALWAYS ANSWER NO. I love God more than anything.
- “Honey, you’ll NEVER be above God.” That’s the man that KNOWS GOD.
- That’s the man that UNDERSTANDS loving God first is what turns out best for everyone.
 1 Peter 3:1-3 Likewise, ye wives, be in subjection to your own husbands; that, if any obey not the word, they also may without the word be won by the conversation of the wives; 2 While they behold your chaste conversation coupled with fear. 3 Whose adorning let it not be that outward adorning of plaiting the hair, and of wearing of gold, or of putting on of apparel;
- So, we see it again in the Bible. Be in subjection to your husbands. HEY, PICK A GOOD ONE.
- Pam could have done much better than me, but I’m glad she chose me. YOU GET A CHOICE.
- Have PURE conversation. Don’t be obscene. GODLY MEN don’t want to hear those things.
- Be private. Be fearful of God. Don’t show off the Bible is telling us.
 1 Peter 3:4 But let it be the hidden man of the heart, in that which is not corruptible, even the ornament of a meek and quiet spirit, which is in the sight of God of great price.
- A meek and quiet spirit is worth the MOST to God. That’s your ORNAMENT.
- You don’t need to BEAUTY UP the outside like the world tells you.
- You can look nice. Wear nice clothing. Not expensive. Modest. Clean. Smell good.
- But not over powering as a woman. Not loud. MEEK AND QUIET. Mild and humble.
- Don’t get irritated easily. For example, I try to irritate Pam sometimes and she never breaks.
- AMAZING. Follow the examples of Godly women in the Bible like SARAH.
 1 Peter 5:5 Likewise, ye younger, submit yourselves unto the elder. Yea, all of you be subject one to another, and be clothed with humility: for God resisteth the proud, and giveth grace to the humble.
- We need to be learning from the elder. So children, you need to be learning from a young age.
- You need to learn the Bible and teach it to the people growing up around you.
- That’s what this world needs. We all need to be subject one to another.
- CLOTHED WITH HUMILITY. We should NEVER be proud. God resists the PROUD.
We Must Humble Ourselves
We need to HUMBLE ourselves ALWAYS. God gives GRACE to the HUMBLE.
- He gives us things we don’t deserve when we’re HUMBLE. Let’s get rid of the pride.
- An example, “Well, I’m going to wear whatever I want.” That’s not humble.
- Let’s hear the words of the Bible and follow what God says. ALL OF US.
- Or, we can be like KING HEROD in ACTS CHAPTER 12.
- He just persecuted the CHRISTIANS, he killed James, and put PETER into prison.
- He’s a VERY PRIDEFUL MAN. And his clothing showed that he was very prideful.
 Acts 12:21-22 And upon a set day Herod, arrayed in royal apparel, sat upon his throne, and made an oration unto them. 22 And the people gave a shout, saying, It is the voice of a god, and not of a man.
- He’s up on his throne in front of all the people. He’s arrayed in HIS ROYAL CLOTHING.
- He’s giving his great speech to them. They love it and shout out to him how great he is.
 Acts 12:23 And immediately the angel of the Lord smote him, because he gave not God the glory: and he was eaten of worms, and gave up the ghost.
- He doesn’t give God the glory. He was eaten of worms. God took him out.
- The worms ate up all his great royal clothing.
- You don’t need GREAT CLOTHING to show your greatness to men and women. BE HUMBLE.
 James 2:2-4 For if there come unto your assembly a man with a gold ring, in goodly apparel, and there come in also a poor man in vile raiment; 3 And ye have respect to him that weareth the gay clothing, and say unto him, Sit thou here in a good place; and say to the poor, Stand thou there, or sit here under my footstool: 4 Are ye not then partial in yourselves, and are become judges of evil thoughts?
- The greatness of your clothing is not important. COVER YOUR NAKEDNESS.
- Dress like a man. Dress like a woman. Act like a man. Act like a woman.
- If someone is poor and has low cost or average clothing, who cares? It means nothing to us.
- If we want to treat someone better because they have high cost clothing and gold jewelry, we’re evil.
- “Rich man, you come sit up here with me. Poor man, you go in the back away from me.” That’s sick.
 James 2:5 Hearken, my beloved brethren, Hath not God chosen the poor of this world rich in faith, and heirs of the kingdom which he hath promised to them that love him?
- CLOTHING is very important in the BIBLE. If someone needs clothes, ask us. We’ll get you clothing.
- If someone needs food, ask us and we’ll get you food. Will we get you expensive and great clothing?
- NOPE. I don’t wear expensive clothing. I like KOHL’S for clothing with $10-$20 shirts, $20-$30 pants.
- We don’t need expensive clothing AT ALL.
 Deuteronomy 10:18 He doth execute the judgment of the fatherless and widow, and loveth the stranger, in giving him food and raiment.
- How do you love a stranger in need? You give him food and clothing. Remember the GOOD SAMARITAN.
- That’s what he did. He took care of him and didn’t even know him. Do the same for others in need.
- There are people out there who work hard and need help. They’re losing their jobs.
- What else do we learn about clothing in the Bible as we head towards closing this out?
 Leviticus 19:19 Ye shall keep my statutes. Thou shalt not let thy cattle gender with a diverse kind: thou shalt not sow thy field with mingled seed: neither shall a garment mingled of linen and woollen come upon thee.
- You are not to wear garments that are mixed with linen and wool.
- Linen is plant based like cotton. Woolen is animal based. Don’t mix them.
- This is a picture of salvation. When you’re saved, you’re clothed in fine white linen the Bible says.
- This is a picture of being clothed in JESUS CHRIST. You don’t need anything else mixed with it.
- False churches add a mixture of works into salvation. They say it’s not 100% JESUS.
- Not mixing linen with wool is a picture of SALVATION.
 Deuteronomy 22:11 Thou shalt not wear a garment of divers sorts, as of woollen and linen together.
- Be clothed in the RIGHTEOUSNESS OF JESUS CHRIST. Understand what that means.
 Matthew 6:25 Therefore I say unto you, Take no thought for your life, what ye shall eat, or what ye shall drink; nor yet for your body, what ye shall put on. Is not the life more than meat, and the body than raiment?
- Right here, JESUS CHRIST is telling us about this picture of SALVATION.
- Do you remember that God tells us to be content with FOOD AND CLOTHING in our life?
- Yes, He means actual FOOD and CLOTHING. But it’s a picture of something else.
The Word Of God = Spiritual Food
What is our FOOD as a picture of something else in the BIBLE? It’s the WORD OF GOD.
- Our clothing? What’s it a picture of in the BIBLE.
- It’s a picture of OUR SALVATION. We’re clothed in the righteousness of JESUS CHRIST.
- FOOD AND CLOTHING is the WORD OF GOD and SALVATION.
- Be happy that you have the WORD OF GOD in your life and that you’re SAVED!!!
Do you see this now? The food you eat and the clothes you wear aren’t going to save you.
- But the WORD OF GOD and SALVATION is what saves you. You need those in your life.
- That’s what Jesus Christ is saying in Matthew 6:25 right there.
 2 Corinthians 5:1-3 For we know that if our earthly house of this tabernacle were dissolved, we have a building of God, an house not made with hands, eternal in the heavens. 2 For in this we groan, earnestly desiring to be clothed upon with our house which is from heaven: 3 If so be that being clothed we shall not be found naked.
- Today, I hope you’ve learned a lot about clothing in the BIBLE. There’s a lot more we can learn.
- BUT don’t be ASHAMED and NAKED any more. CLOTHE YOURSELF. Cover your nakedness.
- Many people think no clothing is naked. GOD SAYS DIFFERENT IN THE BIBLE.
- So clothe your body properly in this life.
- And CLOTHE YOUR SOUL with the WHITE AND CLEAN LINEN of Jesus Christ.
All you have to do to be saved right now is put all your trust and FAITH on JESUS CHRIST, the SON OF GOD.
- Say, Jesus, please save me. I know my soul is clothed with moth eaten garments right now.
- They are dirty, nasty, and I’ve done wrong in my life. I’m sorry for going up against you.
- I’m ashamed. I’m naked. I have no clothing that will save me.
- I want new white linen clothing from you, Jesus. No more spots on the clothing of my soul.
- I want to be clothed in YOUR RIGHTEOUSNESS because I have NONE. ZERO.
- No more holes. No more. Jesus, please save me right now. I know you will.