The title of the sermon today is “ROMANS CHAPTER 14.”
The Highest Of All Powers = God
- In Romans Chapter 13, let me remind you of what we learned before we move to Romans 14.
- Let’s look at verse 1 of Romans Chapter 13.
 Romans 13:1 Let every soul be subject unto the higher powers. For there is no power but of God: the powers that be are ordained of God.
- We learned that the HIGHEST of all powers is God Almighty.
- When there’s a conflict in laws, God’s law trumps all other laws.
- Let me remind you with a couple of examples.
 Colossians 3:18 Wives, submit yourselves unto your own husbands, as it is fit in the Lord.
- God commands wives to submit to their own husbands.
- But what if the husband is asking his wife to sin?
- If the husband is leading his wife to sin, God’s law overrides the command from the husband.
- The wife can let her husband know that he’s asking her to break God’s law.
- A good husband will say, “Yes, you’re right. Let’s not do that.”
 Colossians 3:20 Children, obey your parents in all things: for this is well pleasing unto the Lord.
- Again, children, obey your parents in all things as long as they aren’t breaking God’s commands.
- This is important to understand. Don’t go along with your parents if they command you to sin.
- Why? Because God is the HIGHEST POWER of all.
- Some false preachers teach that you MUST obey the government no matter what.
- They’ll say that’s what Romans Chapter 13 teaches.
- It doesn’t. And we know that because we have many examples from the Bible.
 Exodus 1:15-17 And the king of Egypt spake to the Hebrew midwives, of which the name of the one was Shiphrah, and the name of the other Puah: 16 And he said, When ye do the office of a midwife to the Hebrew women, and see them upon the stools; if it be a son, then ye shall kill him: but if it be a daughter, then she shall live. 17 But the midwives feared God, and did not as the king of Egypt commanded them, but saved the men children alive.
- Those midwives didn’t follow the commandment from the KING OF EGYPT.
- They instead chose to follow the HIGHEST POWER. They feared God over the King of Egypt.
- He was asking them to MURDER the male babies.
- Did they do the wrong thing by not following the commands of the King of Egypt?
- The Bible gives us the answer directly.
 Exodus 1:20-21 Therefore God dealt well with the midwives: and the people multiplied, and waxed very mighty. 21 And it came to pass, because the midwives feared God, that he made them houses.
- The midwives were rewarded for following God and going against the King of Egypt.
- Same thing with Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego. They would not bow down and worship a false god.
- Daniel continued to pray to God even when the law said that he couldn’t.
- Those were not accidents. When the law goes against God’s law, you always choose God.
Obey The Law Unless It Contradicts The Law Of God
Now, when the law doesn’t go against God’s law, you obey that power which is above you.
- When your manager at work asks you to do something, you do it UNLESS it goes against God’s law.
- If they ever ask you to lie, cheat, steal, or murder, you don’t do it.
- If it’s a sin, you don’t do it. If it’s not, though, you do what they ask you to do even if you don’t want to.
We learned to pay our dues. Pay our taxes. Property taxes? Yeah, I don’t like them either but we pay them.
- The higher powers say that we owe them. That means we owe the taxes.
 Romans 13:8 Owe no man any thing, but to love one another: for he that loveth another hath fulfilled the law.
- When the Bible says to “owe no man anything” it means to not owe someone.
- If your bill is due on October 31st, then you pay it on or before October 31st.
- If you go past that, then you owe that person. It’s not talking about borrowing money.
- If that were true, the vast majority of people in this country wouldn’t have a place to live.
- But it is talking about going past due dates.
For example, if you pay your house bill on time, the bank will be happy. You won’t owe them.
- They won’t be coming to see where their money is because you already paid on time.
- We learned to not walk in darkness. Be children of the light. Stay out of trouble.
- Don’t put yourself in bad situations. You don’t need to be in the darkness.
- For example, if someone is a drug dealer you shouldn’t hang around them. Bad things can happen.
 Romans 13:14 But put ye on the Lord Jesus Christ, and make not provision for the flesh, to fulfil the lusts thereof.
- That’s what we’re supposed to do. PUT ON THE LORD JESUS CHRIST.
- When you do that, you won’t want to be around darkness. GIVE THE GOSPEL TO THE DARKNESS.
- Shine your light. That light is JESUS CHRIST. He is the way, the truth, and the life.
- With that said, let’s start there in Romans Chapter 14 verse 1.
 Romans 14:1 Him that is weak in the faith receive ye, but not to doubtful disputations.
- We are supposed to receive the weak in faith. If you don’t have much faith, come on in.
- Why would the Bible command that? If you’re strong in the faith, teach others how to be strong in faith.
 Isaiah 35:3-4 Strengthen ye the weak hands, and confirm the feeble knees. 4 Say to them that are of a fearful heart, Be strong, fear not: behold, your God will come with vengeance, even God with a recompence; he will come and save you.
- We’re here to help the weaker in faith. Let’s increase the faith.
 Romans 14:1 Him that is weak in the faith receive ye, but not to doubtful disputations.
- We are to receive the weak in faith BUT NOT to doubtful disputations.
- Disputations are disputes or controversies. DOUBTFUL DISPUTATIONS or DOUBTFUL DISPUTES.
- What does that mean? Well, as we keep reading, you’ll see what this means. The Bible gives us examples.
 Romans 14:2 For one believeth that he may eat all things: another, who is weak, eateth herbs.
- We’re talking about strong in the faith versus weak in the faith.
- The Bible makes it clear which one is strong in the faith and which one is weak in the faith.
- One that believes he may eat all things is strong in the faith and correct in those beliefs.
- Why would they be strong in the faith? Because God doesn’t say that you can’t eat something.
- He doesn’t say that you can’t eat meat. But, the one who is weak in the faith eats only herbs.
- If someone believes on the Lord Jesus Christ but thinks it’s wrong to eat meat, we receive them.
- We don’t argue and dispute about it. We simply read and teach the Bible.
 Romans 14:3 Let not him that eateth despise him that eateth not; and let not him which eateth not judge him that eateth: for God hath received him.
- We don’t despise the one who doesn’t eat meat. And the one who doesn’t eat meat shouldn’t judge the one who does eat meat.
- Why? Because God has received both of them. One is strong in the faith. One is weak in the faith.
- The point of that? God receives you with just a little tiny, tiny, tiny drop of faith.
- Once you have any amount of faith, God receives you. And that means we receive you too.
The Bible Never Says The Earth Is Flat
Another example might be people with faith who think the earth is flat.
- The Bible doesn’t say thou shalt believe the earth is round to be saved.
- But, we’ll preach the truth from the Bible as only the Bible should change your mind about these things.
- Don’t fight. Don’t despise one another. Don’t judge one another over things like this.
- In as much as we can, we are to live in peace with all men.
Before we go any further, though, we need to get something straight.
- The Bible clearly says that you can eat meat. So, it’s not wrong to eat meat. It’s not a sin.
- The Bible clearly says the earth is round and evidence of the earth being round is indisputable.
- Romans Chapter 14 is not saying that certain things are wrong for you but okay for me.
For example, it’s not saying that it’s okay for one person to fornicate and another person to not.
- The Bible isn’t saying that it’s okay for you to do whatever you think is right.
- For some reason, false preachers teach this from Romans Chapter 14.
- “Well, I think living together before you’re married is okay and Romans Chapter 14 says to not judge me.”
- Romans Chapter 14 is NOT giving ANYONE an excuse to BREAK GOD’S LAWS.
- He clearly says that FORNICATION is wrong. He clearly says that SODOMY is wrong.
- He clearly says that ADULTERY is wrong. He clearly says that stealing is wrong.
The Bible doesn’t say that EATING ONLY HERBS or only vegetables or a low carbohydrate diet is wrong.
- The Bible doesn’t say that eating meat is wrong. So, we’re talking about things that are not wrong.
- If someone wants to be a vegetarian, they can be a vegetarian. The Bible doesn’t say it’s wrong.
- You don’t get to judge someone for something that isn’t wrong.
- Now, fornication is clearly wrong, 100% without a doubt. The Bible clearly says this over and over.
 Matthew 15:19-20 For out of the heart proceed evil thoughts, murders, adulteries, fornications, thefts, false witness, blasphemies: 20 These are the things which defile a man: but to eat with unwashen hands defileth not a man.
- Evil thoughts, murder, adultery, fornication, theft, lying, and blasphemy are all clearly wrong.
- Jesus says, “But to eat with unwashen hands is not wrong.”
- The Pharisees were judging Jesus and his disciples because they ate without washing their hands.
- That’s another example that fits perfectly with Romans Chapter 14.
- God doesn’t say that it’s wrong to eat a meal without first washing your hands.
- If someone wants to do that, it’s none of your business. It’s their meal. It’s their food.
- They can eat it however they want. And don’t despise them for that and don’t judge them for that.
- For evil and wicked things, we are to judge. When you know the Bible, you know which things to judge.
 1 Corinthians 2:15 But he that is spiritual judgeth all things, yet he himself is judged of no man.
- Be spiritual and judge all things correctly. In other words, you don’t judge someone over what they choose to eat. God says you can eat anything.
- And if God says you can eat anything, THEN YOU CAN EAT ANYTHING.
- I don’t have a right to say otherwise. And you don’t either. That’s what the Bible is teaching.
There Should Be No Fornication In The Church
But, in church, there should be no fornication because the Bible says so.
- God doesn’t want fornication in his church because HE HATES FORNICATION.
- So, in that, we judge and give people the opportunity and time to correct that on their own.
- They’ll learn and hear the Bible, and then they get to make the decision.
- If they don’t make the right decision, then it’s the job of the church to help them make the right decision.
- So, again, to understand Romans Chapter 14, you need to know this isn’t an excuse to break God’s laws.
- We’re not talking about BREAKING GOD’S COMMANDMENTS. It’s clear we are not to do that.
- Eating herbs is not breaking God’s commandment.
- Any commandment from God in the Bible is NOT what we’re talking about.
- And when we say you can eat all things, this means food. We’re not talking about blood or plastic.
 Leviticus 7:26 Moreover ye shall eat no manner of blood, whether it be of fowl or of beast, in any of your dwellings.
- That law right there is still in effect today. You shouldn’t eat blood. Cook your meat.
- Romans Chapter 14 is NOT talking about things like this. That is a command, and it hasn’t changed.
 Acts 15:29 That ye abstain from meats offered to idols, and from blood, and from things strangled, and from fornication: from which if ye keep yourselves, ye shall do well. Fare ye well.
- Remember, this chapter is NOT giving excuses to break God’s commandments.
- We aren’t diminishing God’s commandments. This should be obvious because God commands that we don’t do that.
- For example, I think it’s wrong to eat very bad food all the time.
- Much of the fast food today is engineered food that doesn’t even appear to be food.
- They add ingredients and chemicals that ADDICT YOU to that food.
- To me, God doesn’t want us eating those things. To me, that should be common sense.
- Why? Because it isn’t food. It’s nothing like God gave us to eat.
 1 Timothy 4:4-5 For every creature of God is good, and nothing to be refused, if it be received with thanksgiving: 5 For it is sanctified by the word of God and prayer.
- To me, that SCRIPTURE is talking about meat. It says, “For every creature of God is good.”
- It doesn’t say, “Everything that is called food today is good as long as you pray for it.”
- Listen, eat the trash in today’s world that isn’t real food and it hurts you. It’s obvious.
- God says that no creature or no MEAT should be refused.
Now, do you eat nasty and unhealthy meat that has all these other things added to it?
- To me, the answer is no because God didn’t put all of those nasty things in the meat.
- But I’m not going to argue and contend with you over it because you can eat what you want.
- And I’m not going to think less of you for eating those things or despise you.
- And you shouldn’t do the same for me. I don’t want to eat those things.
- Romans Chapter 14 is about minding your own business. Don’t start fights over these things.
 Romans 14:4 Who art thou that judgest another man’s servant? to his own master he standeth or falleth. Yea, he shall be holden up: for God is able to make him stand.
- Don’t judge what other people are doing when it’s not breaking a commandment.
- Another man’s servant is another man’s. That servant is not yours. It’s not your business.
- I’m not going up to another man’s wife and tell her what to do. She isn’t my wife.
- “Well, you need to grow your hair longer.” Now, I’ll preach what the Bible says.
- But I’m not going up to anyone and telling them what to do.
We Are Not The Bible Police
We aren’t the Bible police. God doesn’t tell us to do that. In church, we’ll preach and teach.
- Then, it’s up to the people hearing to receive that and take action. We don’t force action.
- For certain things, like fornication, the Bible tells us to take action if fornication is present.
- If someone hears the Bible for months and they continue to fornicate, then it’s time to see if they understand the Bible.
 Romans 14:5 One man esteemeth one day above another: another esteemeth every day alike. Let every man be fully persuaded in his own mind.
- Some people think Sunday’s should be a day of rest to honor the Lord.
- In the Bible, a Sabbath day is from Friday evening to Saturday evening.
- Jesus Christ is our Sabbath so I don’t think we need to observe the Sabbath.
- I believe that Jesus Christ replaced the Sabbath, and I want to use every day to honor Jesus Christ.
- You might believe Christmas is a greater day than I do. I might think Easter is a greater day than you do.
- Again, this chapter is talking about things that are not commandments.
This is talking about your very own personal standards. They’re going to be different for people.
- For example, I will try to set all of my own standards and rules from the Bible.
- The Bible clearly says not to even look at alcohol. So, is it okay to eat in a restaurant with a bar?
 Proverbs 23:29-31 Who hath woe? who hath sorrow? who hath contentions? who hath babbling? who hath wounds without cause? who hath redness of eyes? 30 They that tarry long at the wine; they that go to seek mixed wine. 31 Look not thou upon the wine when it is red, when it giveth his colour in the cup, when it moveth itself aright.
- I think that it is okay because so many places have alcohol now. The grocery stores and gas stations.
- When I drive by a gas station, is it a sin when I see it through the glass windows?
- That’s not what the Bible means in my opinion. Don’t look at it when it’s in your hand.
If you don’t want to go to a restaurant that serves alcohol, I’m going to respect your request.
- Why? Because it’s not hurting anything. You have a higher standard than I do, and I respect that.
- Maybe prior alcoholics don’t want to see the alcohol in the restaurant and be tempted.
- Am I going to go against that request? No. We shouldn’t do things that make others fall.
- That is EXACTLY what Romans Chapter 14 is talking about.
- You say, “I’d rather not eat at that restaurant with a bar.” I don’t question that. I say, “Yes, sir, let’s find something else.”
 Romans 14:6 He that regardeth the day, regardeth it unto the Lord; and he that regardeth not the day, to the Lord he doth not regard it. He that eateth, eateth to the Lord, for he giveth God thanks; and he that eateth not, to the Lord he eateth not, and giveth God thanks.
- Again, I think every day should be the Lord’s. You might think it’s only Sunday.
- You might treat Sunday like a Sabbath day. You might not mow your grass on Sunday.
- I will mow my grass on Sunday. I don’t despise you for that, and you don’t despise me for that.
- In both instances, we’re giving God thanks. I thank God for allowing me to be able to mow the grass.
- If you don’t eat meat and still give God thanks as I do when I eat meat, God says it’s okay.
 Romans 14:7-8 For none of us liveth to himself, and no man dieth to himself. 8 For whether we live, we live unto the Lord; and whether we die, we die unto the Lord: whether we live therefore, or die, we are the Lord’s.
- We are to live for God no matter what. If someone wants to set a higher standard than me, good.
- You won’t have trouble with people setting higher standards, though. Look at the world today.
- For example, some churches think it’s wrong for men to wear any type of shorts.
- God gave the priests shorts to wear. Now, were they short shorts? No, they covered their nakedness.
 Exodus 28:42 And thou shalt make them linen breeches to cover their nakedness; from the loins even unto the thighs they shall reach:
- Linen breeches or britches to cover their nakedness. And their nakedness is from the loins to the thigh.
- So the shorts went down past their thighs or to the knee. That’s the end of your thighs.
- Does the Bible say it’s wrong for men to wear shorts? Not if they cover their nakedness.
- If you want to wear short shorts like the young males are wearing, then yes, it’s wrong.
- Why? It’s not covering your nakedness. GOD DEFINES NAKEDNESS. He says it’s from the loins to the thigh.
It’s Great To Set Higher Standards
But listen, if someone wants to set a higher standard, that’s fine with me.
- God doesn’t say that it’s wrong. They are covering their nakedness. That’s the important thing.
- If the men want to wear pants all the time, I don’t have a problem with it. It’s none of my business.
- But, they shouldn’t ever teach that they got it from the Bible because it’s not there.
- If they publicly preach that God said men can only wear pants, then I’ll say something.
- God didn’t say that. God chose for the priests to wear shorts that covered their nakedness.
- And they were serving in HIS HOUSE. If a man wants to wear shorts here, I could care less.
- It’s none of my business if you choose to wear shorts. That’s your choice.
- God doesn’t say THOU SHALT NOT WEAR SHORTS. But I will preach what the Bible says.
- Always remember that WE ARE THE LORD’S. We need to act like it.
 Romans 14:9 For to this end Christ both died, and rose, and revived, that he might be Lord both of the dead and living.
- Once you’re saved, you are alive. Before that, you were considered dead.
- Jesus died, he was buried, and he was revived so that he might be Lord both of the dead and living.
- JESUS IS LORD OF ALL. He is your LORD.
 2 Corinthians 5:14-15 For the love of Christ constraineth us; because we thus judge, that if one died for all, then were all dead: 15 And that he died for all, that they which live should not henceforth live unto themselves, but unto him which died for them, and rose again.
- Everything we do should be done in the LOVE OF CHRIST. That should constrain what we do.
- Jesus had to die for us because we were all dead. Without HIM dying for us, we could never live.
- Because he died for you and I, we should live for HIM.
- We shouldn’t act like, “WELL, THIS IS MY BODY AND MY LIFE and you can get over it, God!!!”
- No, this isn’t YOUR BODY and YOUR LIFE. Your body is God’s and your life is God’s.
- We don’t have the right to just do whatever we want. God gave us rules and commands.
So, if someone wants to be more strict and set a higher standard for Jesus, that’s great.
- We shouldn’t despise them and get upset over that. SUPPORT THEM.
- Instead you might say, “You know what? I’m going to do better too.” SUPPORT THESE PEOPLE.
- But good luck finding them in this world today.
 Romans 14:10-12 But why dost thou judge thy brother? or why dost thou set at nought thy brother? for we shall all stand before the judgment seat of Christ. 11 For it is written, As I live, saith the Lord, every knee shall bow to me, and every tongue shall confess to God. 12 So then every one of us shall give account of himself to God.
- Don’t judge your brother in CHRIST over silly things that aren’t commandments.
- That’s why you need to know the Bible. He says, “I don’t want to eat meat.”
- And you say, “Okay, what would you like to eat?” No questions asked. No judgement.
- God says it’s fine not to eat meat. You aren’t breaking a commandment by not eating meat.
Yes, Every Knee Will Bow To God
Verse 11 says it is written: “As I live, every knee shall bow to God, and every tongue shall confess to God.”
- That verse is quoting Isaiah 45:23. “That unto me every knee shall bow, every tongue shall swear.”
- We need to stop worrying what others are doing so much and focus on what we’re doing.
- “Every one of us shall give account of himself to God.” In other words, worry about yourself.
- Stay out of other people’s business. MIND YOUR OWN BUSINESS because you will have to answer to God.
 Romans 14:13 Let us not therefore judge one another any more: but judge this rather, that no man put a stumblingblock or an occasion to fall in his brother’s way.
- And again, for you to understand this correctly, you need to see the context of this chapter.
- This is NOT talking about breaking commandments. This is talking about other things CLEARLY.
- If something isn’t breaking a commandment, then don’t judge someone’s higher standards.
- “Well, I want to wear a suit and tie because I want to honor God and set a higher standard.”
- Don’t judge me on that. If you don’t want to wear a suit and tie, I’m not going to judge you on that.
- Why? Because it’s not a commandment. God didn’t say, “Thou shalt wear a suit and tie.”
I hope you are clearly starting to see what this chapter is teaching.
- People may set certain standards so they don’t stumble. It’s not a commandment but it helps them.
- Alcoholics might not want to go to places that serve alcohol. Doing so might cause them to stumble.
- We should support each other in these types of things.
 Romans 14:14 I know, and am persuaded by the Lord Jesus, that there is nothing unclean of itself: but to him that esteemeth any thing to be unclean, to him it is unclean.
- THE LORD JESUS said that all creatures are clean for meat. There is nothing unclean of itself.
- This is talking about FOOD. It’s not talking about other sin. It’s not saying NOTHING IS UNCLEAN.
- Some people and even preachers try to twist that SCRIPTURE into everything is okay.
- It’s talking about food. If you think pork is unclean, TO YOU, pork is unclean.
- For example, I don’t want to eat a rat. To me, it’s unclean. God says, nothing is unclean.
- BUT ME? I’m not eating a rat. And you should respect that and not want to feed me a rat.
You shouldn’t say, “Hey Josh, I fixed some fried rat and you’ll love it. Just try it, Josh.”
- And then you keep on and keep on and keep on about the fried rat. “You should really try it, Josh.”
- “God said that all things are clean. Just try it.” No, I don’t want to eat a rat. They make me sick.
- People love to eat squid and octopus and snakes. NOPE. Not eating it. TO ME IT IS UNCLEAN.
- I want chicken. You might say, “Well, a squid is cleaner than a chicken.” Not to me. I’ll eat chicken.
 Romans 14:15 But if thy brother be grieved with thy meat, now walkest thou not charitably. Destroy not him with thy meat, for whom Christ died.
- If you know that I don’t want to eat rat, don’t grieve me with the rat you love to eat.
- If I know you don’t want to go to a restaurant that serves alcohol, I shouldn’t take you there.
- If I do, I’m not acting in love for you. I am not walking charitably.
- In other words, pay attention to what other people need.
- If I know something really bothers you, I shouldn’t tempt you with anything like that.
- When we do things like that, WE CAN DESTROY that person whom we are to love.
- He or she is our brother or sister in CHRIST and there is no greater brother or sister.
 Mark 3:33-35 And he answered them, saying, Who is my mother, or my brethren? 34 And he looked round about on them which sat about him, and said, Behold my mother and my brethren! 35 For whosoever shall do the will of God, the same is my brother, and my sister, and mother.
- Jesus says that anyone who does the WILL OF GOD is his brother, or his sister, or his mother.
- And what is the will of God?
 John 6:40 And this is the will of him that sent me, that every one which seeth the Son, and believeth on him, may have everlasting life: and I will raise him up at the last day.
- Jesus himself says the will of God is believing on the SON OF GOD.
- So, if anyone believes on the SON OF GOD to save them, they are your brother, sister, or mother.
- That means we treat them like we should treat JESUS CHRIST. We’re all the same body.
- You shouldn’t want to destroy JESUS CHRIST.
- Why would you want to destroy those who believe on Jesus? We shouldn’t want to do that.
We Are To Preach Against False Preachers
But listen, I will preach against FALSE TEACHING when it goes directly against God’s word.
- The Bible tells us to do this. But that’s not the same as Romans Chapter 14.
 Titus 1:13-14 This witness is true. Wherefore rebuke them sharply, that they may be sound in the faith; 14 Not giving heed to Jewish fables, and commandments of men, that turn from the truth.
- When preachers are teaching everyone something different than what the Bible teaches, I will say something.
- Why? Because COMMANDMENTS OF MEN turn people from the truth. That’s not what we want.
- So, if you’re going to preach that cutting your hair will send you to hell, I’m going to preach against that.
- Now, if you don’t want to cut your hair because you want to set a higher standard to God, that’s fine.
- That’s your choice, and I love a higher standard.
- But, you need to know that you won’t go to hell if you cut your hair. And I’m going to tell you the truth.
- There is no commandment that says women can’t cut their hair.
 1 Corinthians 11:15 But if a woman have long hair, it is a glory to her: for her hair is given her for a covering.
- God wants women to have long hair. IT IS A GLORY TO HER. It is given her for a covering.
- And the covering is needed because her head, the husband, is a great sinner.
 1 Corinthians 11:5 But every woman that prayeth or prophesieth with her head uncovered dishonoureth her head: for that is even all one as if she were shaven.
- Short hair on a woman, like a man, means that she prays or preaches the word of God with her HEAD uncovered.
- She is dishonoring her head. And not only her own head but her husband who is the head of the family.
- God has reasons for everything. So, I’m going to preach what the Bible says.
Am I going to command you to do something? NO!!! We aren’t here to do that.
- But we are here to preach the word of God. You can do your best to conform to it OR NOT.
- That’s your choice and your decision. It doesn’t hurt me for another woman to have short hair.
- Now it does hurt me if my wife has short hair because she is dishonoring me and herself.
- I don’t want that for her, and I don’t want that for me.
- And since my wife loves me as I know she does, she wouldn’t want that either.
- And I thank God for giving me a woman like her. There is no struggle with her. She’s amazing.
- And I pray to God that she gets a higher spot in heaven than me because she deserves it.
 Romans 14:16-18 Let not then your good be evil spoken of: 17 For the kingdom of God is not meat and drink; but righteousness, and peace, and joy in the Holy Ghost. 18 For he that in these things serveth Christ is acceptable to God, and approved of men.
- Again, this chapter clearly tells us what it’s talking about.
- In verse 14, it says, “LET NOT THEN YOUR GOOD BE EVIL SPOKEN OF.”
- If a person has a higher standard, don’t speak evil of something that isn’t sin.
- If a woman wants to wear old style dresses at all times, others in this world will speak evil of her.
- If a man wants to wear pants all the time, people will speak evil of him.
Don’t Speak Evil Of Someone When You Don’t Know
If a woman never wants to cut her hair, don’t speak evil of her. She might be doing it for God.
- God says a woman’s hair is her glory. Why would you speak evil of her?
- If someone doesn’t want to eat meat, that’s not a sin. I won’t speak evil of that.
- Why? Because it isn’t evil. You need to actually know what is good and evil according to God.
- FORNICATION IS EVIL. That, I will judge but I will judge righteously using the Bible.
- That’s why we need to read the Bible and know the Bible. It’s to help others.
- It’s not to condemn them. Most people have no idea what the Bible says.
Verse 17 is very important. Don’t make MEAT AND DRINK and other things more important than they are.
- It’s not about meat and drink and other things. The kingdom of God is about righteousness.
- You only get that through Jesus Christ. Then you get peace and joy in the HOLY GHOST.
- If you are in CHRIST and serving HIM, as verse 18 says, you are acceptable to God and approved of men.
 Romans 14:19 Let us therefore follow after the things which make for peace, and things wherewith one may edify another.
- IN GOD’S FAMILY, the word of God should make peace.
- When you see what God says, you should want to do that immediately because he said it.
- You shouldn’t want to do what a man says. But you should want to do it when God says to do it.
- Have loyalty to God and not man. That’s how we make peace with each other.
- We’ll use the word of God as a guide and nothing else. That will make peace. God brings peace.
 Romans 14:20 For meat destroy not the work of God. All things indeed are pure; but it is evil for that man who eateth with offence.
- If it offends your fellow brother or sister when you eat meat, don’t do it.
- If you know they can’t stand something, don’t do it when they’re there with you.
- If you know that someone hates TV, don’t invite them over to watch TV with you.
- That’s EVIL the Bible says. Eating meat doesn’t destroy the work of God, but it might offend someone.
Let’s say there’s an unsaved person that is a vegetarian and hates to see people eat meat.
- If you could go without eating meat so you don’t offend them and get them to listen to the Gospel, wouldn’t that be worth it to bring them to JESUS CHRIST?
- “Oh no, I missed a few meals with meat in them.” You’ll be okay.
- Sometimes we put these things above things of ETERNAL SIGNIFICANCE. We can’t do that.
- This is what Romans Chapter 14 is teaching. Don’t offend people so they’ll never hear the Gospel.
 Romans 14:21 It is good neither to eat flesh, nor to drink wine, nor any thing whereby thy brother stumbleth, or is offended, or is made weak.
- You shouldn’t eat meat or drink wine or do anything else that causes your brother or sister to stumble.
- And remember, we did a whole sermon on wine and yes, it is also referring to fruit juices.
- These are sugary drinks that can cause problems for people.
- Don’t do things that offend your brother or sister. Don’t make them weak. You want to help them!!!
- It’s not all about me, me, me. We have to stop and think about others.
- It’s okay if you eat some tofu so it doesn’t offend your brothers in Christ.
Don’t Offend Others When Something Doesn’t Hurt You
I ate tofurkey several times so I wouldn’t offend people. It didn’t hurt me to have some tofurkey.
- It did give me acid reflux which regular turkey doesn’t, but hey, it didn’t offend those people.
- Now, I did invite them over for hamburgers and hot dogs before I knew they didn’t eat those things.
- I probably offended them, but I had no idea at the time. I didn’t do it purposely.
 Romans 14:22 Hast thou faith? have it to thyself before God. Happy is he that condemneth not himself in that thing which he alloweth.
- HAVE FAITH BEFORE GOD. Hear what he says. Believe what he says. Understand what this means.
- “Happy is he that condemneth not himself in that thing which he alloweth.”
- You allow yourself to eat meat because you know that it doesn’t condemn you.
- You trust what God says. BUT, you need to be careful on what you allow.
- You need to think about what you allow in your life. Is it breaking God’s commandments?
- Are you actually condemning yourself for things you might think are okay?
Maybe some of these other people might have a point.
- For example, you might not do certain things because you know it offends me.
- When you come to my house, maybe you clean up the language because you know I don’t want to hear it.
- Maybe you know that I hate smoking because I’ve had trouble breathing my whole life.
- So you don’t smoke when you’re around me. Maybe you realize I love life and I want to live.
- I want to be able to breathe. And I’d love for you to be able to breathe too.
Maybe I have a point. Maybe the woman who won’t cut her hair has a point.
- Maybe the woman who wears nothing but long dresses has a point.
- Maybe the man who hates TV has a point.
- Maybe the man who won’t go to restaurants with bars has a point.
- That’s what GOD is saying at the end of verse 22. Pay attention to what you’re allowing in your life.
- I won’t let my children go wherever they want. I won’t let them be alone with other people.
- That might offend you. But maybe I have a point.
I won’t let my children go into a Sunday school classroom any more with some man.
- People from churches all over this country that have had their children molested by Sunday school teachers will agree with me.
- That might offend you, but maybe I have a point. Don’t judge others on choices like this.
- I don’t trust men and women. That might offend you, but maybe I have a point.
 Psalm 118:8 It is better to trust in the LORD than to put confidence in man.
- I will always trust in the Lord. I trust what God says. I’m not putting my confidence in man.
- And that includes myself. So don’t get offended at that. I TRUST GOD.
- MAYBE we need to think about these things that we allow.
- Why would you clean up your language when I’m around? Maybe you need to clean it up all the time.
Maybe We Should Act Like That All The Time
Why would you change something for me? Why would I change the way I act for you?
- Maybe I need to act that way all the time. That’s what God is teaching us here in Romans Chapter 14.
- WE NEED TO READ, STUDY, AND LEARN THE BIBLE. Then, you’ll see what’s right.
- You might say, “Well, Josh is just so strict on these things.” Read the Bible. I’m not strict at all. You’ll see.
- You’re going to affect other people when they see you doing something.
- They might think it’s okay. YES, THAT HAPPENS ALL THE TIME.
 Romans 14:23 And he that doubteth is damned if he eat, because he eateth not of faith: for whatsoever is not of faith is sin.
- IF YOU DON’T BELIEVE IN THE LORD JESUS CHRIST, it doesn’t matter what else you do.
- I LOVE THIS SCRIPTURE RIGHT THERE. If you doubt God, you’re damned if you eat anything.
- If you doubt God, you’re damned if you never cut your hair.
- If you never have faith, you’re damned to hell if you wear long dresses your entire life.
- If you doubt God, but you never watch TV because you think it’s evil, that’s not going to save you.
- If you don’t put all your trust in God, getting baptized is not going to save you. You’re damned.
- If you haven’t put all your trust on JESUS CHRIST, that water baptism is a sin.
- “For whatsoever is NOT OF FAITH is sin.” I hope you hear that today.
- Nothing else matters when it comes to eternal life. FAITH ALONE SAVES and that verse proves it.