- Sermon Slides for Sermon Proverbs Chapter 1: Slides
- Printable PDF for Sermon Proverbs Chapter 1: PDF
- Audio MP3 for Sermon Proverbs Chapter 1: Audio
- Video MP4 for Sermon Proverbs Chapter 1: Video
 The title of the sermon today is “PROVERBS CHAPTER 1.”
A Detailed Bible Study Through Proverbs
- Today, we’re starting the amazing Book of Proverbs.
- I’ve been wanting to do a very detailed study of this book for a while now.
- Once we’re finished with this Bible study, we’re going to be amazed at what we’ve learned.
- With that said, let’s get started in verse 1 of Proverbs Chapter 1.
 Proverbs 1:1 The proverbs of Solomon the son of David, king of Israel;
- The proverbs? What are proverbs?
- Proverbs are usually shorter sentences that are often repeated by people with a truth or fact.
- These proverbs are usually dark sayings or somewhat difficult to understand.
- Proverbs in the Bible require interpretation for understanding. The Bible is filled with Proverbs.
- A simple example: “Two wrongs don’t make a right.” That’s not exactly a quote from the Bible.
- But it is a very good proverb. It’s filled with wisdom.
 Romans 12:17 Recompense to no man evil for evil. Provide things honest in the sight of all men.
- Don’t repay evil with evil. Two wrongs don’t make a right.
 1 Thessalonians 5:15 See that none render evil for evil unto any man; but ever follow that which is good, both among yourselves, and to all men.
 1 Peter 3:9 Not rendering evil for evil, or railing for railing: but contrariwise blessing; knowing that ye are thereunto called, that ye should inherit a blessing.
- The proverb “TWO WRONGS DON’T MAKE A RIGHT” is a proverb based in the Bible. It’s a good proverb.
- Another example proverb that you might be familiar with is:
- “When the going gets tough, the tough get going.”
- Or, “The pen is mightier than the sword.” Communication or speaking words is greater than a weapon.
- The Book of Proverbs isn’t the only book filled with Proverbs throughout the Bible.
 John 16:25 These things have I spoken unto you in proverbs: but the time cometh, when I shall no more speak unto you in proverbs, but I shall shew you plainly of the Father.
- Proverbs aren’t immediately clear to us when we hear them the first time.
- With some Bible study, though, we can learn them and gain knowledge.
- We then apply that knowledge and become wise when making decisions in our lives.
 Proverbs 1:1 The proverbs of Solomon the son of David, king of Israel;
- Solomon is clearly the author of the book of Proverbs. He is the son of David who was King of Israel.
- Do you remember the mother of King Solomon? King David had many wives.
- Bathsheba is the mother of Solomon.
 2 Samuel 5:13-16 And David took him more concubines and wives out of Jerusalem, after he was come from Hebron: and there were yet sons and daughters born to David. 14 And these be the names of those that were born unto him in Jerusalem; Shammua, and Shobab, and Nathan, and Solomon, 15 Ibhar also, and Elishua, and Nepheg, and Japhia, 16 And Elishama, and Eliada, and Eliphalet.
- Notice Nathan and Solomon right there born to King David and Bathsheba.
 1 Chronicles 3:5 And these were born unto him in Jerusalem; Shimea, and Shobab, and Nathan, and Solomon, four, of Bath-shua the daughter of Ammiel:
- So right there we know for sure that Solomon and Nathan were born to David and Bathsheba.
- Joseph and Mary both come from King David’s line. Joseph from Solomon and Mary from Nathan.
- Solomon is the last King of Israel before the kingdom is divided into Israel and Judah.
- Remember, Israel in the North and Judah in the South. Solomon was the reason for that split.
- Solomon continues to tell us several times that he wrote these proverbs to us.
 Proverbs 10:1 The proverbs of Solomon. A wise son maketh a glad father: but a foolish son is the heaviness of his mother.
 Proverbs 25:1 These are also proverbs of Solomon, which the men of Hezekiah king of Judah copied out.
- First Kings Chapter 1 tells us this about King Solomon.
 1 Kings 4:30-31 And Solomon’s wisdom excelled the wisdom of all the children of the east country, and all the wisdom of Egypt. 31 For he was wiser than all men; than Ethan the Ezrahite, and Heman, and Chalcol, and Darda, the sons of Mahol: and his fame was in all nations round about.
 1 Kings 4:32 And he spake three thousand proverbs: and his songs were a thousand and five.
- We know that King Solomon’s wisdom EXCELLED the wisdom of all of Egypt.
- One man was wiser than all of Egypt. One man was wiser than all the people in the East country.
- “FOR HE WAS WISER THAN ALL MEN.”
- Why is that? Well, of course, that wisdom came from God.
 1 Chronicles 22:11-12 Now, my son, the LORD be with thee; and prosper thou, and build the house of the LORD thy God, as he hath said of thee. 12 Only the LORD give thee wisdom and understanding, and give thee charge concerning Israel, that thou mayest keep the law of the LORD thy God.
- That’s King David talking to his son, Solomon. “Only the Lord give thee wisdom and understanding.”
 Ecclesiastes 12:9-10 And moreover, because the preacher was wise, he still taught the people knowledge; yea, he gave good heed, and sought out, and set in order many proverbs. 10 The preacher sought to find out acceptable words: and that which was written was upright, even words of truth.
- King Solomon is referred to as THE PREACHER in the Book of Ecclesiastes which is written by Solomon.
 Ecclesiastes 1:1 The words of the Preacher, the son of David, king in Jerusalem.
- So today, we’re going to learn from “the preacher” which is definitely not me.
- And we know that “THE” preacher gained all his wisdom and understanding from God Almighty.
- There is none wiser than God. There is none wiser than Jesus Christ our Lord and Savior.
- Let’s continue Proverbs Chapter 1 there in verse 2.
 Proverbs 1:2 To know wisdom and instruction; to perceive the words of understanding;
- These proverbs are written so that we can know wisdom and instruction.
- So we can perceive the words of understanding. This means we can know and understand these proverbs.
Wisdom Is Better Than Gold
 Proverbs 16:16 How much better is it to get wisdom than gold! and to get understanding rather to be chosen than silver!
- You should be very excited to learn these proverbs in the Bible. I truly am very excited about this study.
- If you hit gold, I know you would be excited. “How much better is it to get wisdom than gold!!!”
- What is wisdom? Knowledge is knowing something. For example, I know math.
- Wisdom is applying that knowledge properly. I can use math to create a budget for my family.
- If I properly use math to create a good budget for my family, that would be properly applying knowledge.
- Knowing math is knowledge but applying it and using it for good is wisdom.
 Proverbs 1:3 To receive the instruction of wisdom, justice, and judgment, and equity;
- We’re receiving an introduction to the Book of Proverbs right here. This is the purpose of the book.
- We are to receive the instruction of wisdom, justice, judgment, and equity. What are those things?
- We already know that wisdom is applying what we’ve learned for good.
- What about justice and judgment? Let’s see what the Bible says about justice and judgement.
 Genesis 18:19 For I know him, that he will command his children and his household after him, and they shall keep the way of the LORD, to do justice and judgment; that the LORD may bring upon Abraham that which he hath spoken of him.
- Keeping the way of the Lord is justice and judgment.
- Following God’s commandments is justice and judgment.
 Psalm 89:14 Justice and judgment are the habitation of thy throne: mercy and truth shall go before thy face.
- God is just and right in all that He does. He never does anything wrong. He judges properly in all things.
- If you follow God’s commandments, you will always be just. Justice and good judgment always.
 Proverbs 21:3 To do justice and judgment is more acceptable to the LORD than sacrifice.
- I want to make sure you see that. Obeying God is more important than sacrifice.
 1 Samuel 15:22 And Samuel said, Hath the LORD as great delight in burnt offerings and sacrifices, as in obeying the voice of the LORD? Behold, to obey is better than sacrifice, and to hearken than the fat of rams.
- God simply wants us to obey Him because this is justice and judgment. It’s the best for us.
- That’s why He gave us all of these laws and rules. They are the best thing for us in all situations.
- So, therefore, it’s better to OBEY GOD than anything else. When we obey God, we love Him.
 John 14:15 If ye love me, keep my commandments.
- These proverbs are very important for us to understand so we can gain knowledge and wisdom.
- As we do that, we will learn how to obey God. We’ll understand why we need to obey Him.
- We’ll understand why He’s giving us these laws. When we understand that, we’ll do them.
- And then when we do them, we’ll show our love to God. And when we do that, what happens?
 Romans 8:28 And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose.
- THEN, God is working all things out for us. So, listen, these proverbs are HIGHLY important.
- Notice EQUITY at the end of verse 3 in Proverbs Chapter 1. We’re going to learn EQUITY.
- Equity is fair treatment. God is equity. God is always fair.
 Psalm 98:9 Before the LORD; for he cometh to judge the earth: with righteousness shall he judge the world, and the people with equity.
- God repays vengeance with vengeance. God repays evil with evil.
- But then those evil people act as if God isn’t fair. God took out his vengeance on me.
- Well, let me tell you this then. YOU DESERVED IT. Things that I’ve received in my life? I deserved it.
- I almost choked to death one night. I deserved it. It woke me up a little. Made me value my life more.
- My first baby, Callie, gave me a scare. I deserved it. Woke me up a little more.
- My second baby, Taylor, gave us a scare the first 6 weeks of her life. Woke me up a little more.
- Started seeking the Lord more by the time we got to Emma. I promise the Lord is good and just.
 Ezekiel 7:3 Now is the end come upon thee, and I will send mine anger upon thee, and will judge thee according to thy ways, and will recompense upon thee all thine abominations.
- God is just. He judges rightly. He judges us according to our ways. We don’t get by with anything.
- We LOVE people who let us by with things. We LOVE police officers that let us go.
- We HATE police offers that give us what we deserved. It should be the other way around.
- We love God because He ALWAYS gives us what we deserve. If we do good, we get good.
- If we do wrong, we get punished. God NEVER says anything different than that.
- God is teaching us equity or fairness. We need to learn EQUITY within these proverbs.
 Proverbs 1:4 To give subtilty to the simple, to the young man knowledge and discretion.
- Within these proverbs, God is giving us subtilty or precision and cleverness to achieve things.
- He’s turning us into more than just the simple people we are right now.
- We’ll be able to avoid the evil people who are subtle or clever in doing evil.
- We can then understand more and more complex things. The Bible is very complex.
- The proverbs were written to give the young man knowledge and discretion. What’s discretion?
- Discretion is discernment that allows you to judge correctly and properly according to God’s word.
- Discretion is acting under control with proper judgment. The young man needs this discretion.
 Proverbs 7:7-9 And beheld among the simple ones, I discerned among the youths, a young man void of understanding, 8 Passing through the street near her corner; and he went the way to her house, 9 In the twilight, in the evening, in the black and dark night:
 Proverbs 7:10-13 And, behold, there met him a woman with the attire of an harlot, and subtil of heart. 11 (She is loud and stubborn; her feet abide not in her house: 12 Now is she without, now in the streets, and lieth in wait at every corner.) 13 So she caught him, and kissed him, and with an impudent face said unto him,
 Proverbs 7:14-16 I have peace offerings with me; this day have I payed my vows. 15 Therefore came I forth to meet thee, diligently to seek thy face, and I have found thee. 16 I have decked my bed with coverings of tapestry, with carved works, with fine linen of Egypt.
- Young men need to know these proverbs and learn subtilty, knowledge, and discretion. Why?
- So they can avoid these women as described in Proverbs Chapter 7. That’s just one example.
 Proverbs 1:5 A wise man will hear, and will increase learning; and a man of understanding shall attain unto wise counsels:
- A wise man will hear the word of God and increase learning. You can’t get anything better than God.
- You can’t learn from anyone better than God and His words. A wise man will understand that.
- A man of understanding will go to wise counsels when they need help or advice.
- There is none better than God’s word.
 Proverbs 9:9 Give instruction to a wise man, and he will be yet wiser: teach a just man, and he will increase in learning.
- Wise men and women can always learn more. We’ll never be as wise as God. We need instruction.
- And we need that instruction from God who is our Creator.
- Some people will say things like: “I can NEVER be as smart as you. I can never do this. I can never do that.”
- I don’t want to hear it. God doesn’t want to hear it. He instead wants you to hear this next Scripture.
 Psalm 119:98-100 Thou through thy commandments hast made me wiser than mine enemies: for they are ever with me. 99 I have more understanding than all my teachers: for thy testimonies are my meditation. 100 I understand more than the ancients, because I keep thy precepts.
- You can gain more understanding than all your teachers. How? Meditate on God’s words.
- KEEP HIS WORDS. Study His words. And you will be wise. You will make better decisions in your life.
- You can increase learning. You can gain knowledge and wisdom by following God Almighty.
A Proverb Is A Dark Saying
 Proverbs 1:6 To understand a proverb, and the interpretation; the words of the wise, and their dark sayings.
- That completes the introduction to the Book of Proverbs in Proverbs Chapter 1.
- King Solomon wrote this so we can understand a proverb and the interpretation.
- The words of the wise are found within this book.
- Proverbs are dark sayings that aren’t so easy to understand.
- You must be saved by Jesus Christ to gain this wisdom and understanding of these proverbs.
 Acts 8:30-31 And Philip ran thither to him, and heard him read the prophet Esaias, and said, Understandest thou what thou readest? 31 And he said, How can I, except some man should guide me? And he desired Philip that he would come up and sit with him.
- People who don’t understand God’s word NEED guidance. They need help. We need to go to them.
- If you see someone who is actually trying to understand God’s word, you need to help them.
- That Ethiopian right there in Acts Chapter 8 needed help. He needed guidance.
- What did he need help with? What did Philip help him with? The Gospel of Jesus Christ.
- People won’t understand the book of Proverbs without first being saved by Jesus Christ.
 Acts 8:32-33 The place of the scripture which he read was this, He was led as a sheep to the slaughter; and like a lamb dumb before his shearer, so opened he not his mouth: 33 In his humiliation his judgment was taken away: and who shall declare his generation? for his life is taken from the earth.
 Acts 8:34-35 And the eunuch answered Philip, and said, I pray thee, of whom speaketh the prophet this? of himself, or of some other man? 35 Then Philip opened his mouth, and began at the same scripture, and preached unto him Jesus.
- When people need help, we go to them with the true Gospel of Jesus Christ. Preach Jesus Christ.
- Follow the leadership that we see within the Scriptures. Follow what Philip did right there.
- The Ethiopian asks, “Who is this man that the Bible speaks of in the Book of Isaiah?”
- Philip says, “This book is speaking of the Savior who is Jesus Christ. Let me tell you about Jesus.
 Acts 8:36-37 And as they went on their way, they came unto a certain water: and the eunuch said, See, here is water; what doth hinder me to be baptized? 37 And Philip said, If thou believest with all thine heart, thou mayest. And he answered and said, I believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God.
- That Ethiopian right there was saved because he believed that Jesus Christ is the Son of God.
- He believed that Jesus Christ could save him, and he gained eternal life right there because he believed.
- Because of his belief, he can now gain knowledge and wisdom from God Almighty.
- When we believe on Jesus Christ, we are given the gift of the Holy Spirit that indwells us.
We can use that gift to study the Scriptures. We can ask God to help us understand the Scriptures.
- We need to be guiding people to Jesus Christ as much as we can so God can teach them further.
- There is no wiser decision than to use the knowledge of Jesus Christ to be saved.
- Philip taught that man and gave him the knowledge he needed to make the wisest decision of his life.
- He says, “I BELIEVE THAT JESUS CHRIST IS THE SON OF GOD.” Believe that and then you can be baptized.
- The baptism doesn’t save you. The believing on Jesus Christ saves you before you’re baptized.
- If you believe baptism saves you, you aren’t very wise because you haven’t trusted God’s words.
 Proverbs 1:7 The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.
- For example, fools will despise me, hate me, and reject me for saying baptism is not required to be saved.
- Baptism doesn’t save you at all. It’s the first good work you should do immediately after being saved.
- Yes, you should be baptized immediately after you’re saved.
- Fools will say the work of baptism will save you. They despise wisdom and instruction.
- They do not fear God at all. They’ve listened to other men and women in their life and not God.
 Acts 19:4 Then said Paul, John verily baptized with the baptism of repentance, saying unto the people, that they should believe on him which should come after him, that is, on Christ Jesus.
- Repentance is changing your mind about Jesus Christ and believing on Jesus Christ.
- THEN, you can be baptized. John the Baptist preached: “Believe on Christ Jesus.”
- If they believed on Jesus Christ FIRST, then he baptized them.
 John 5:24 Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that heareth my word, and believeth on him that sent me, hath everlasting life, and shall not come into condemnation; but is passed from death unto life.
- Jesus says these things. You know? HE IS THE SAVIOR. He knows how you can be saved.
- He says the same thing over and over and over again throughout the Bible.
- You’re passed from death unto life once you believe on God to save you.
- Jesus doesn’t say that you’re passed from death unto life once you’re baptized.
- Trust the Word of God. Stop trusting in man. Stop trusting in the works that you do. Baptism is a work.
- FEAR GOD AND HIS WORDS. ACCEPT HIS WORDS. Don’t accept anything else other than His words.
 Job 28:28 And unto man he said, Behold, the fear of the Lord, that is wisdom; and to depart from evil is understanding.
- Fearing God is wisdom. THAT IS WISDOM. When you fear God, you will depart from evil.
- You will understand that you need to stay away from the evil. You will understand to hate evil.
- You will know to love the good and hate the evil. THIS IS THE BEGINNING OF KNOWLEDGE.
- If you have no fear of God, you will never be truly knowledgeable. You will never have Godly wisdom.
- You might have worldly knowledge and worldly wisdom but not Godly knowledge and wisdom.
- Trust me. God’s knowledge and wisdom is no match for this world. NO MATCH.
- You want to hear a GREAT CONCLUSION within the Bible from King Solomon? I do. Hear this.
 Ecclesiastes 12:13 Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man.
- That’s your goal. That’s your duty. FEAR GOD and KEEP HIS COMMANDMENTS. Nothing else. That’s it.
 Proverbs 1:8-9 My son, hear the instruction of thy father, and forsake not the law of thy mother: 9 For they shall be an ornament of grace unto thy head, and chains about thy neck.
- Notice that we just learned to fear God and keep His commandments. Right? We just learned that.
- Now, what do we see? Hear your father and forsake not the law of thy mother.
- If you do what your father and mother tell you to do, they will be an ornament of grace to your head.
- And they will be as chains about thy neck.
 Genesis 41:41-43 And Pharaoh said unto Joseph, See, I have set thee over all the land of Egypt. 42 And Pharaoh took off his ring from his hand, and put it upon Joseph’s hand, and arrayed him in vestures of fine linen, and put a gold chain about his neck; 43 And he made him to ride in the second chariot which he had; and they cried before him, Bow the knee: and he made him ruler over all the land of Egypt.
- Obey your parents in the Lord and God is telling you that you will be rewarded. He promised this.
- In the 10 commandments, we get commandments about loving God first. No other gods before HIM.
- No graven images. No worship of anything other than God. Don’t take His name in vain.
- Remember God and His Sabbath day. The very next commandment is this:
 Exodus 20:12 Honour thy father and thy mother: that thy days may be long upon the land which the LORD thy God giveth thee.
- This is the first commandment with a PROMISE from God.
- Honor your parents and your days may be long upon this land.
 Ephesians 6:1-3 Children, obey your parents in the Lord: for this is right. 2 Honour thy father and mother; (which is the first commandment with promise;) 3 That it may be well with thee, and thou mayest live long on the earth.
- If you have parents that are in the Lord who are saved, and they are trying to do right, you children better be obeying your parents.
- “FOR THIS IS RIGHT,” God Almighty says. “That it may be well with thee.” Don’t you want that?
- You may live long on this earth IF you obey your parents in the Lord.
- Again, this doesn’t mean obey parents that are doing drugs and telling you to do the drugs with them.
- It doesn’t apply to evil parents who are abusing their children. Understand that right now.
- For the parents in the Lord, hear their instruction and do not forsake their rules that they have for you.
 Proverbs 1:10-12 My son, if sinners entice thee, consent thou not. 11 If they say, Come with us, let us lay wait for blood, let us lurk privily for the innocent without cause: 12 Let us swallow them up alive as the grave; and whole, as those that go down into the pit:
 Proverbs 1:13-16 We shall find all precious substance, we shall fill our houses with spoil: 14 Cast in thy lot among us; let us all have one purse: 15 My son, walk not thou in the way with them; refrain thy foot from their path: 16 For their feet run to evil, and make haste to shed blood.
- Evil people like to get larger groups of people together to join in on the evil. Watch out for that.
- “My son, if sinners entice thee, consent thou not.” They will try to entice you.
- They’ll say, “COME WITH US. Come on!!! Come with us. It will be fun. It will be dangerous. Let’s do it.”
- One person will join in, then another, then another, and then you’ll feel like you should too.
- God says, “DON’T DO IT.” They’ll lurk privately without a cause to hurt other people. No reason.
- They think it’s just fun to hurt other people. We’ll take from them. We’ll fill our houses with their stuff.
Don’t Join In With The Evil And Wicked People
Join us so we can get more stuff and we’ll split it all up evenly when we’re done.
- Come on. We’re going to go do this. You can come with us. We’re going to support sin. Go with us.
- What does God say the answer should be right there in verse 15? Who are you going to listen to?
- GOD or these EVIL PEOPLE? Which one? God says: “My son, walk not thou in the way with them.”
- Don’t even take one step with them, MY SON. “Refrain thy foot from their path.”
- “Their feet RUN TO EVIL. They make haste to shed blood.” They don’t care about others.
 Proverbs 4:14-15 Enter not into the path of the wicked, and go not in the way of evil men. 15 Avoid it, pass not by it, turn from it, and pass away.
- Don’t go to the gay pride parade and yell out against them. “ENTER NOT into the path of the wicked.”
- Don’t go their direction. They’re going that way. I’m going the opposite way.
- Don’t take one step in the direction of those evil people. Especially don’t welcome them into your homes.
- Especially don’t go and live in a city filled with sodomites like Lot did.
 Genesis 19:5-7 And they called unto Lot, and said unto him, Where are the men which came in to thee this night? bring them out unto us, that we may know them. 6 And Lot went out at the door unto them, and shut the door after him, 7 And said, I pray you, brethren, do not so wickedly.
- Lot, why were you around that? You didn’t have to be around that. Get out of there, Lot.
 2 Peter 2:6-8 And turning the cities of Sodom and Gomorrha into ashes condemned them with an overthrow, making them an ensample unto those that after should live ungodly; 7 And delivered just Lot, vexed with the filthy conversation of the wicked: 8 (For that righteous man dwelling among them, in seeing and hearing, vexed his righteous soul from day to day with their unlawful deeds;)
- When you’re around these evil and wicked people, your soul is suffering. You’re hearing these things.
- You’re seeing these things. You don’t want to go that way. You want to get away from it.
- I’ve had a job before where all I heard was nasty and sick things from old men all day long.
- I didn’t want to hear that trash. But I couldn’t keep from hearing it. I thank God He got me out of there.
- Proverbs Chapter 1 is telling us to stay away from these people. Don’t go that way with them.
- GO THE OPPOSITE WAY. Get away from them. They are not your “FRIENDS.”
- Don’t participate. Don’t join in. This is sound advice from the word of God Almighty HIMSELF.
 Proverbs 1:17 Surely in vain the net is spread in the sight of any bird.
- These evil people are like birds that are being caught in a net.
- They don’t understand what’s actually happening.
 Proverbs 7:23 Till a dart strike through his liver; as a bird hasteth to the snare, and knoweth not that it is for his life.
- These evil and wicked people are caught in a snare or a trap. They’re being deceived.
- The birds don’t know how to escape traps. You can setup nets and they’ll fly right into them.
 Proverbs 1:18-19 And they lay wait for their own blood; they lurk privily for their own lives. 19 So are the ways of every one that is greedy of gain; which taketh away the life of the owners thereof.
- These evil people don’t understand they’re actually killing themselves. They are damning themselves.
- “They lay in wait for their own blood. They lurk privily or privately for their own lives.”
- They think they’re gaining something by taking from others. But they aren’t at all.
- They are full of greed. They want what others have. They want more than they actually need.
They want to make merchandise out of other people. They don’t want to help those people.
- Greediness takes away the life of those people.
- So these evil and wicked people are caught in a trap. You don’t want to get caught in that trap.
- You’re guilty by association with these people. Don’t hang around them. Don’t get caught with them.
- God is warning you, children. Don’t hang around these evil and wicked people. It’s a trap.
- GOD WILL REPAY ALL OF THESE EVIL THINGS THAT ARE DONE. You don’t want that payment from God.
- You don’t want that vengeance from God. And it will come to you IF you do these evil things.
- “So are the ways of every one that is greedy of gain.”
 Proverbs 15:27 He that is greedy of gain troubleth his own house; but he that hateth gifts shall live.
- Some people, especially around gift time, want to make sure they are receiving gifts from people.
- That’s called being greedy of gain. Those people trouble their own homes.
- “Where’s MY gift? You didn’t bring MY gift? Did you forget MY gift?”
- “Are you sure MY name isn’t on that gift?” Hey, God says, “Don’t be greedy of gain.”
- God says, “He that hateth gifts shall live.” Some people are always trying to get ahead of others.
- “Well, I’ve got one up on him. I’m one up on her. I’ve got more out of them than they got out of me.”
 Acts 20:35 I have shewed you all things, how that so labouring ye ought to support the weak, and to remember the words of the Lord Jesus, how he said, It is more blessed to give than to receive.
- Why don’t you try it the other way around? Always try to gain something from someone is evil.
- And this world and country is filled with that strategy. “Gain from others more than they gain from you.”
- That’s sick and nasty thinking. It’s evil and wicked people who are spreading these lies.
- Jesus says, “It is more blessed to give than to receive.” We need to give to the people who are trying.
- We need to give to the people who are seeking after God. Not to the evil people lurking for blood.
 Proverbs 1:20-22 Wisdom crieth without; she uttereth her voice in the streets: 21 She crieth in the chief place of concourse, in the openings of the gates: in the city she uttereth her words, saying, 22 How long, ye simple ones, will ye love simplicity? and the scorners delight in their scorning, and fools hate knowledge?
- Jesus Christ is the WISDOM OF GOD. Wisdom cries out, “How long will you be simple?”
- “How long will you ignore the words from God? How long will you hate knowledge?”
- God HIMSELF cries out for you to simply believe Him and His words.
We say the same things. “How long will it take for my friends to just believe what God says?”
- “How long will it take for my family to just believe what God says?”
- “Why are all these people still rejecting God, His words, and His wisdom? WHY?”
- It’s foolish. But they see us as foolish. They are scorners who delight in their scorning.
- They mock us. They laugh at us. They yell at us. They despise us. They want to get away from us.
- But God says that they are the fools who hate KNOWLEDGE. They think God’s words are foolish.
- They won’t accept His words. If they only knew who He was, but they don’t at all. It’s sad.
 John 3:20 For every one that doeth evil hateth the light, neither cometh to the light, lest his deeds should be reproved.
- If they actually come to the light who is Jesus Christ, they would see how wrong they are.
- They don’t want to be wrong. They would rather attempt to mock Jesus Christ than be reproved by Him.
- I went through that. I saw how wrong I was. The things of the past that I have done?
- They were very wrong. Jesus Christ REPROVED ME and REBUKED ME, and I took it because I deserved it.
- Just give it up and go to the light who is Jesus Christ. Only Jesus can forgive you of all sin.
 Proverbs 1:23 Turn you at my reproof: behold, I will pour out my spirit unto you, I will make known my words unto you.
- All you have to do to turn to Jesus is to believe on Him to save you. Believe what He says.
- Listen to what He says and understand that you were wrong. He’s not wrong. He’s always right.
- Without Him, we are nothing. Understand that. Trust Him with your life. And what happens?
- “BEHOLD, I WILL POUR OUT MY SPIRIT UNTO YOU.” God will help you. How?
- He says, “I will make known my words unto you.” You’ll understand His words. I know it works this way.
- The Bible is the truth. I couldn’t understand the Bible until I trusted in Jesus Christ.
I couldn’t see the truth until I believed on the Lord Jesus Christ. Then, the Bible started making sense.
- It’s not about baptism. It’s not about repenting of your sins. It’s not about being a good person.
- It’s not about me, me, me. It’s all about Jesus Christ and Him alone. His work is what saves you.
- It’s not you and your good works. It’s all Jesus. Trust in Him. Trust in the sacrifice that He made.
- He is the Savior. We are not a part of the saving process. We have no way to forgive our own sins.
- Works do not delete the sin that is counted to our soul.
- God’s way is to believe on Him, and He will forgive your sins. Do that, and you will begin to understand.
And if you’re saved right now, you’ll understand what I’m saying. You didn’t understand one time. Now you do.
- If you don’t understand this, you should pray to God right now to please come to you and open your ears.
- Ask Him to help you. Tell Him that you want to understand. You want to know the truth.
- You want to be saved. Pray to Him over and over again. Don’t give up. Don’t quit. Keep trying.
- Why? Your life depends on it. Your eternity depends on it.
 Luke 11:13 If ye then, being evil, know how to give good gifts unto your children: how much more shall your heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to them that ask him?
- Ask God and trust Him.
- That’s what leads to you receiving the Holy Spirit that seals your saved soul from sin.
- Now, Proverbs Chapter 1 is going to take a quick turn to those people who don’t want anything to do with God.
- Watch what happens next in Proverbs Chapter 1. This should scare you.
- This should put the fear of God into you. I hope you’re hearing this today.
 Proverbs 1:24-26 Because I have called, and ye refused; I have stretched out my hand, and no man regarded; 25 But ye have set at nought all my counsel, and would none of my reproof: 26 I also will laugh at your calamity; I will mock when your fear cometh;
- God comes to each and every person in this world. He calls out for you to be saved.
- He shows you the truth. He tries His best over and over again. His ways are the best ways.
- When He comes to you, you better believe that He showed you the truth. And what happened?
- You didn’t even regard His stretched out hand. The God of all creation stretches out His hand to you.
- And you turn Him down over and over again. You say, “I don’t need you, God.”
- “I don’t need you telling me how I should live my life. I’ll do what I want, God”
- “I don’t want you in my life, God.”
God Always Gets The Last Laugh
What happens in verse 26 when you do that to God?
- God will always get the last laugh. HE IS GOD. You aren’t. You laugh at Him. You make fun of His people.
- You laugh at His counsel. You laugh at His teaching. You don’t want to hear it.
- You don’t want to change anything for Him even though He’s trying to help you.
- Then bad things happen to you. Then, you want to go to God for help. He says, “I don’t think so.”
“NOT TODAY.” He says, “I will laugh at you when fear comes. You had no fear of me.”
- He says, “I gave you life, but you didn’t want to have anything to do with me.”
- And then some people will say that this God of the Bible is just wrong. “That’s just mean.”
- “That’s just brutal.” Well, is it? What did you do to Him? You laughed at Him when came to you.
- So now it’s wrong for Him to laugh at you when you’re having problems?
- Maybe you should try going to God right now when you aren’t having problems.
- THEN, this situation won’t apply to you. Stop rejecting God, and you won’t have to worry about this.
 Isaiah 65:12 Therefore will I number you to the sword, and ye shall all bow down to the slaughter: because when I called, ye did not answer; when I spake, ye did not hear; but did evil before mine eyes, and did choose that wherein I delighted not.
 Isaiah 66:4 I also will choose their delusions, and will bring their fears upon them; because when I called, none did answer; when I spake, they did not hear: but they did evil before mine eyes, and chose that in which I delighted not.
 Jeremiah 7:13 And now, because ye have done all these works, saith the LORD, and I spake unto you, rising up early and speaking, but ye heard not; and I called you, but ye answered not;
 Jeremiah 7:14-15 Therefore will I do unto this house, which is called by my name, wherein ye trust, and unto the place which I gave to you and to your fathers, as I have done to Shiloh. 15 And I will cast you out of my sight, as I have cast out all your brethren, even the whole seed of Ephraim.
- This isn’t something new in the Bible. You better answer God when He calls for you.
- When someone comes to your door trying to give you the Gospel of Jesus Christ to save you, that’s God Himself coming to you.
- Those are His people that He sent. And I’m not talking about the lying Mormons or the lying Jehovah’s Witness.
- I’m talking about people who come with the true Gospel of Jesus Christ.
 Matthew 22:4-6 Again, he sent forth other servants, saying, Tell them which are bidden, Behold, I have prepared my dinner: my oxen and my fatlings are killed, and all things are ready: come unto the marriage. 5 But they made light of it, and went their ways, one to his farm, another to his merchandise: 6 And the remnant took his servants, and entreated them spitefully, and slew them.
- God sends His servants out into this world and the people make light of it. They don’t care.
- They go their ways. They watch their football games. They eat out at their restaurants.
- They have other things to do. They have their dog to take care of. Eternity is not important to them.
- THE KING IS SENDING PEOPLE TO YOU ALL OUT THERE TO SAVE YOU. THE KING!!! But you say, “No.”
- You would rather kill all of God’s people. You slew His own Son.
 Matthew 22:7-9 But when the king heard thereof, he was wroth: and he sent forth his armies, and destroyed those murderers, and burned up their city. 8 Then saith he to his servants, The wedding is ready, but they which were bidden were not worthy. 9 Go ye therefore into the highways, and as many as ye shall find, bid to the marriage.
- We don’t stop when you don’t want to listen. We’ll go somewhere else and find others.
- This is God’s way. If you want to reject Him, He’ll find someone else that won’t reject Him.
 Proverbs 1:27 When your fear cometh as desolation, and your destruction cometh as a whirlwind; when distress and anguish cometh upon you.
- God will laugh and mock you when your fear comes as desolation. Your destruction comes.
- And it comes quickly. You’re done. You never wanted a part of God.
- You HATED Him, and now you’re done. You’ll have distress and anguish come upon you.
- And there won’t be anyone there to help you. God tried. He gave you enough chances. Now it’s over.
- Don’t let it get to this point in your life.
 Proverbs 10:24-25 The fear of the wicked, it shall come upon him: but the desire of the righteous shall be granted. 25 As the whirlwind passeth, so is the wicked no more: but the righteous is an everlasting foundation.
- Death and hell are coming like a whirlwind. The whirlwind is quick. It’s fast. It comes for you.
- And then it’s over. “SO IS THE WICKED NO MORE.” No one will remember you.
- If you would simply believe in God and trust Him, you will be here forever. You will not be forgotten.
 Proverbs 1:28-30 Then shall they call upon me, but I will not answer; they shall seek me early, but they shall not find me: 29 For that they hated knowledge, and did not choose the fear of the LORD: 30 They would none of my counsel: they despised all my reproof.
- God doesn’t save EVERYONE that calls upon Him at every point in time. Some false preachers teach this.
- “They shall call upon me, but I will not answer. They shall not find me.”
- “They didn’t choose the fear of the Lord. EVER. They didn’t want anything to do with me.”
- So now they are rejected. They are finished. Their chances are over. It’s done.
 Romans 10:13-14 For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved. 14 How then shall they call on him in whom they have not believed? and how shall they believe in him of whom they have not heard? and how shall they hear without a preacher?
- You can’t call upon the Lord unless you first believed.
- Those people who attempted to call upon the Lord in Proverbs Chapter 1 never believed on Jesus Christ.
- THEY NEVER CHOSE THE FEAR OF THE LORD. They would NONE of His counsel.
- They despised His reproof. They HATED Him. They are rejected. They cannot call upon God.
- They might try, but they’ve never believed and He will not hear them.
- You don’t get to take verse 13 in Romans Chapter 10 and ignore verse 14.
- If you’ve never believed on God, meaning 100% trust, then you won’t be saved.
 Proverbs 1:31 Therefore shall they eat of the fruit of their own way, and be filled with their own devices.
- If that’s what you want, that’s what you’ll get. You want those things and not God?
- THEN HAVE THEM. You will be filled with your own devices. You can do it on your own.
- Are you going to save yourself? NO, YOU CAN’T OVERCOME DEATH. It’s over for you.
 Proverbs 1:32 For the turning away of the simple shall slay them, and the prosperity of fools shall destroy them.
- The simple OR the fools turn away from God. They don’t want God AT ALL.
- And they won’t make it. When they turn away from God, bad things ALWAYS happen.
- Any good in our lives is from God. They think they have good in their life, but they don’t.
- Their so-called friends will leave them. Their family will fall apart. Nothing will be good without God.
- If you would just turn to God, He will never leave you or forsake you. NEVER.
Why Would You Turn Down God?
He’ll always be there for you. Why would you want to turn that down?
- Would you rather die alone? No one else will be there when that last heart beat comes?
- When that last breath comes, you might not have any family or friends there with you.
- It might be a car wreck. It might be a plane crash. It might be a stroke in the night.
- It might be a heart attack when you’re alone.
Wouldn’t it be nice to look up and know that Jesus Christ is there with you?
- Wouldn’t it be nice to know that He will be there to take you to the greatest place in existence?
- He says that He will. He’s not a liar. He’s not a deceiver. Just trust Him and His words.
- Don’t let the prosperity of fools destroy you. Jesus is the only one with the way to heaven.
- There is no man, woman, or creation on this earth that knows how to take you to heaven when you die.
- But Jesus Christ does. He is the WAY. He knows the way. He created the way. Trust Him.
 Proverbs 1:33 But whoso hearkeneth unto me shall dwell safely, and shall be quiet from fear of evil.
- These evil and wicked people in this world don’t scare me. I have no fear of them.
- If they come for me and surround me and want to beat me and kill me, GO FOR IT. I’m not scared.
 Acts 7:54-56 When they heard these things, they were cut to the heart, and they gnashed on him with their teeth. 55 But he, being full of the Holy Ghost, looked up stedfastly into heaven, and saw the glory of God, and Jesus standing on the right hand of God, 56 And said, Behold, I see the heavens opened, and the Son of man standing on the right hand of God.
- They killed Stephen that day. But Stephen knew and he saw the glory of God in heaven.
- I’d give my life to see the glory of God. That’s all I want to see. That’s my desire.
- So kill me if you must. Proverbs 1:33 tells me to hearken unto God and dwell safely.
- Stephen was dwelling safely there, and that what I want.
- God says, “You shall be quiet from fear of evil.” I don’t fear the evil in this world.
- I don’t care what they think. I don’t care if they hate me. I want God to love me and not hate me.
- And that’s what you should want. If God says, “YOU’RE SAFE” then you are safe.
- If God says you shall be quiet from dear of evil, then you shall be quiet from fear of evil.
 Proverbs 3:21-23 My son, let not them depart from thine eyes: keep sound wisdom and discretion: 22 So shall they be life unto thy soul, and grace to thy neck. 23 Then shalt thou walk in thy way safely, and thy foot shall not stumble.
 Proverbs 3:24-26 When thou liest down, thou shalt not be afraid: yea, thou shalt lie down, and thy sleep shall be sweet. 25 Be not afraid of sudden fear, neither of the desolation of the wicked, when it cometh. 26 For the LORD shall be thy confidence, and shall keep thy foot from being taken.
- Trust in the Lord and you will not stumble. Don’t trust in men and women. NEVER do that.
- If you do, you’ll stumble. If you only trust in the Lord, you’ll never be afraid. Your sleep will be sweet.
- Don’t be afraid of the wicked. They can’t touch you when you hearken unto God.
- Put your confidence in the Lord and you will not be taken by the wicked.