- Sermon Slides for Sermon God Is Three In One Part 1: Slides
- Printable PDF for Sermon God Is Three In One Part 1: PDF
[SLIDE 2] The title of the sermon today is “GOD IS THREE IN ONE, PART 1.”
Introduction To The False Teaching Of Modalism
- This sermon is VERY IMPORTANT because FALSE TEACHING has crept into all of the Churches around us today.
- One of those false teachings is MODALISM.
- This FALSE DOCTRINE says that God is ONE and He exists only as ONE.
- There are not 3 persons of God, but there are 3 modes of ONE GOD.
Modalism denies that God the Father, the Son of God, and the Holy Ghost are 3 different persons.
- In order to support their false religion, they MUST say that Jesus sent Himself, that no one has seen Jesus, and that Jesus prays to Himself.
- If you hear someone thank God the Father for dying on the cross, this would be a modalist.
- Everything they say will sound okay at first until you REALLY get to know and understand what they believe.
- They will say they believe in Jesus. But their Jesus is quite different than the Jesus within the Bible.
- All we need to do to disprove their MODALIST nonsense is to USE THE BIBLE.
- Not my words, not my beliefs, but the Bible alone.
- To start, I want to go to 2 Peter 2:1.
[SLIDE 3] 2 Peter 2:1-2 But there were false prophets also among the people, even as there shall be false teachers among you, who privily shall bring in damnable heresies, even denying the Lord that bought them, and bring upon themselves swift destruction. 2 And many shall follow their pernicious ways; by reason of whom the way of truth shall be evil spoken of.
- Let’s get this straight today. Modalism ATTACKS the very nature of God!
- This is a damnable heresy just as the Bible tells us in 2 Peter Chapter 2.
- Modalists aren’t understanding they are ATTACKING the God of the Bible.
They will say things like: “The Trinity was created by the Catholic Church and is a pagan doctrine. It first came from witchcraft.”
- What they don’t understand is the Trinity within the Bible existed from eternity.
- Witches may have created something similar, Catholics may have created their doctrine, but GOD HAS ALWAYS EXISTED in 3 persons.
- So who was first? They have fallen for yet another stumbling block. Their proof is not there.
Those same people won’t believe the Gospel of Jesus Christ. They all have a works based salvation.
- They think they have to work for their salvation. They don’t put their faith on Jesus Christ to save them.
- They don’t even have the right Jesus Christ. Their Jesus is not a savior.
- They are saving themselves, and that’s not going to work. You can’t save yourself.
So Modalism mostly belongs to Oneness Pentacostals but more and more people are falling into this false teaching lately and that includes some Baptists.
- The Bible is the proof so we’re going to look at this closely today and prove that God is 3 in 1.
- Now listen, Modalists will try to twist many scriptures and they are very good at it.
- You’ll see as we go through this. In the end, they can’t twist the entire Bible.
- The truth will ALWAYS show through, and you’ll see that today.
Jesus Does Not Bear Witness of HIMSELF
- Let’s start with John Chapter 5 starting in verse 31.
[SLIDE 4] John 5:31-38 If I bear witness of myself, my witness is not true. 32 There is another that beareth witness of me; and I know that the witness which he witnesseth of me is true. 33 Ye sent unto John, and he bare witness unto the truth. 34 But I receive not testimony from man: but these things I say, that ye might be saved. 35 He was a burning and a shining light: and ye were willing for a season to rejoice in his light. 36 But I have greater witness than that of John: for the works which the Father hath given me to finish, the same works that I do, bear witness of me, that the Father hath sent me. 37 And the Father himself, which hath sent me, hath borne witness of me. Ye have neither heard his voice at any time, nor seen his shape. 38 And ye have not his word abiding in you: for whom he hath sent, him ye believe not.
- Look at that. Jesus HIMSELF says: “If I bear witness of myself, my witness is not true.”
- Understand that modalists say there is ONLY ONE that exists in 3 different modes.
- This means that God can only exist in ONE MODE at a time.
- In this verse, according to Modalists, Jesus is in the Son of God mode and He is fully God right there with no other God existing.
In other words, Jesus is bearing witness of Himself right there because He is the only God in existence right there at that time according to Modalism.
- It’s pretty obvious that Jesus and God the Father are not the same person.
- If they were, all of the Bible would be a lie. Jesus would be lying right there.
- All of Christianity would be a lie.
- In other words, Modalists are not Christians because they don’t believe in the God of the Bible.
- They are flat out calling Jesus a liar.
You can’t have multiple witnesses be the same person. Let’s think about that for a second.
- Let’s say that I’m a witness in a court case.
- And let’s say that I’m a father to my children, I’m a husband to my wife, and my profession is an engineer.
- So these are my 3 modes. Father, husband, engineer. This is true.
- Now, let’s say I’m called into court as a witness. I’m called first as a witness in my father mode.
The prosecution then tries to call me again as a witness in my husband mode.
- And then they try to call me again as a witness in my engineer mode.
- Do you think the judge is going to allow me, the same ONE person, to act as 3 different witnesses?
- No, they’re going to laugh at the prosecution for trying to call the same person as 3 witnesses.
- They’ll say: “Hey, we have 3 witnesses that said the exact same thing.”
- The entire court room will laugh because they know I’m ONE WITNESS, ONE PERSON.
This is the same thing modalism attempts. They are simply saying God exists in 3 different modes.
- Just like I exist as a father, a husband, and an engineer. So understand that today.
- They deny that Jesus Christ, the Son of God, is a different person than God the Father.
- They deny the Son of God, the person. Understand that.
Jesus says the FATHER has sent me. Just think how crazy these people are to say that the Father and the Son are the same person.
- Is Jesus trying to trick us here? Is he playing a joke on us? No.
- The Bible says it hundreds of times that the Father and Son are different persons.
- They have different wills. They are witnesses to each other.
The ONLY way that Jesus could be telling the truth when He says “THERE IS ANOTHER THAT BEARETH WITNESS OF ME” is that there’s another PERSON, a DIFFERENT PERSON.
- And Jesus tells us who that is. It’s God the Father.
- In other words, the Modalists are calling the TRUE SON OF GOD, JESUS CHRIST, a liar.
- There is no other way around it. The truth is the truth.
The same ones will also tell you that the Bible isn’t the inspired word of God without error.
- They will tell you that doesn’t exist.
- So then they can go “back to the Greek” and interpet every word to match their false religion.
Modalists will say that people who believe in the Trinity have 3 different gods. WRONG!
- The Bible tells us over and over again that there is ONE GOD in 3 persons.
- God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Ghost are ONE GOD in 3 persons. There aren’t 3 gods.
- God the Father is God. Jesus is God. The Holy Ghost is God.
- Each one is fully God and together they are God.
Jesus is NOT God the Father. The modalists will say that the name of God the Father is Jesus.
- The name of the Son of God is Jesus. The name of the Holy Spirit is Jesus. See?
- There’s only ONE NAME and ONE PERSON so they obviously all have the same name according to the modalists.
- And people will fall for that and say that makes so much sense now. You MUST be right.
- They will use this verse as proof that there in only one name.
- Pay attention to this verse and see how they twist it.
[SLIDE 5] Matthew 28:19-20 Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost: 20 Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world. Amen.
- They say: “SEE, there’s only ONE NAME and therefore they all have the same name.”
- Then they will say that all the disciples baptized in THE NAME of JESUS so now it all makes sense.
- They will say the NAME of God the Father is JESUS. What??? Do you see that?
What they don’t get is the entire Bible proves them WRONG!!!
- They select a couple of verses as their proof and ignore the rest of the Bible.
- They say that God existed as ONLY the Father in the Old Testament, then ONLY as Jesus during the incarnation, and now as the Holy Spirit ONLY.
- Look at that verse again. They simply can’t understand what “IN THE NAME OF” means in the English language.
- It’s very simple to understand BUT they base their entire religion on “IN THE NAME OF.”
- In the name of doesn’t mean they all have the same name.
- In the name of means on account of or on behalf of or for the sake of or by the authority of.
- That’s what this means here.
It simply means baptize them BY THE AUTHORITY of God who is the Father, the Son, and the Holy Ghost.
- It’s really simple. And guess what?
- When you use that ACTUAL definition for “IN THE NAME OF” it matches the teaching from the entire rest of the Bible which says God exists in 3 persons.
- For example: If a police officer yells, “STOP IN THE NAME OF THE LAW!!!” what does that mean?
- It’s saying by the authority of the law, you need to stop. Or, stop because of the law.
- Or, stop in the name of love! The modalists would say: “Well, what’s the name of love? What’s it’s name? You see: It’s says NAME!!! See???”
No Man Hath Seen the Father
- Let’s keep going and continue to look at scripture that proves the Trinity or God is 3 in ONE.
- And keep in mind, trinity is just triune or 3 in 1. Catholics don’t own the word triune or trinity or 3 in 1.
- We don’t have to say trinity since most people believe the Catholics own that word.
And look, we don’t want to be associated with Catholicism. We can say 3 in 1. God owns it. He is God.
- Same thing with ONCE SAVED ALWAYS SAVED.
- The Baptists might have made the term but it describes the TRUTH in the Bible.
- All you have to do is look to all the other religions of the world that say God is ONE GOD and cannot be divided.
- The Holy Bible tells us the truth. God is ONE GOD in 3 persons.
- It’s very simple once you actually read and study the Bible.
Islam teaches that God is indivisible, which means He can not be divided.
- For this reason, several verses of the Qur’an teach that the doctrine of Trinity is blasphemous against God.
- Modalism agrees with Islam and all the other religions of the world. Christianity does not.
- Let’s look at John 6 verse 46.
[SLIDE 6] John 6:46 Not that any man hath seen the Father, save he which is of God, he hath seen the Father.
- The Bible tells us that no one has seen God the Father except He which is OF GOD.
- Modalists say that Jesus and the Father are the same person.
- But then they will use some explanation like:
- “Well, God the Father was a mode of God in the Old Testament.” Or some trash like that.
- Anything they can do to explain around their fairy tale, they will do and say.
Ask them if anyone has ever seen Jesus? Of course people have seen Jesus, the Son of God.
- He walked and talked and appeared to people over and over again; thousands upon thousands.
- But again, they say there is only one God.
- When Modalists pray, they say: “THANK YOU FATHER FOR DYING ON THE CROSS.”
- If that was the Father that died on the cross, how did the witnesses see Him die on the cross?
The Bible says: “No man hath seen the Father EXCEPT God.”
- This makes perfect sense with God being 3 in 1 because it’s the truth.
- Jesus and God the Father are different people and it’s obvious when you look at John 6:46.
- We’re spending time on this because we need to understand that God is 3 in 1 and that Modalists will attempt to trick you with their lies.
- All you need to do is ALWAYS go back to the Bible.
You see: These false religions don’t want you teaching the Bible to their followers.
- They might see the truth. So they will stay away just like a cult.
- They will teach them to not listen to people teaching the Bible.
- I welcome all of YOU AT ALL TIMES to listen to any false teaching.
- All you need to do is to know your Bible, the TRUE WORDS from God, and you’ll never be deceived by these serpents and deceivers.
- You’ll see false teaching immediately.
- Don’t use my words to prove false teaching. Use your Bibles always.
- God existing as 3 persons is scriptural and Biblical. Let’s keep going so you see this.
Jesus Seeks NOT His Own Will
- Let’s look at John Chapter 5 verse 30.
[SLIDE 7] John 5:30 I can of mine own self do nothing: as I hear, I judge: and my judgment is just; because I seek not mine own will, but the will of the Father which hath sent me.
- Notice that Jesus HIMSELF says I can of mine OWN SELF do nothing. Do you see that?
- He says, again, I can of “MY OWN SELF” do nothing. God the Father sent Jesus.
- And then Jesus says in this verse: “I seek not mine own will, but the will of the Father which hath sent me.”
- If Jesus, the Son of God, were the God the Father then obviously Jesus would be seeking His own will.
- Right? But that’s not what Jesus says here. If they were the same person, their will would be identical.
- But they aren’t the same person.
Why would Jesus say this if they were the same person? Is He just trying to trick us?
- No, Jesus doesn’t play games.
- Man-made religions from Satan are the ones tricking, deceiving, twisting, and playing the games.
- Jesus always SEEKED the WILL of the Father and not His own!
- This proves that Jesus is God but is NOT God the Father.
- Jesus is perfect and has NEVER done anything wrong.
- Not even a bad thought came from Jesus while He was being beat, tortured, slapped, smacked, and killed on the cross.
- That alone proves Jesus is God.
The Testimony Of Two Is True
- Let’s keep going with more verses that prove that God is 3 in 1 and that Modalism and any other false doctrine is wrong when it comes to the true nature of our God.
[SLIDE 8] John 8:16-18 And yet if I judge, my judgment is true: for I am not alone, but I and the Father that sent me. 17 It is also written in your law, that the testimony of two men is true. 18 I am one that bear witness of myself, and the Father that sent me beareth witness of me.
- Jesus says He is not alone. What does that mean to modalists? They say Jesus is alone. There’s only ONE.
- What does it mean to them when Jesus says: “The testimony of 2 men is true?”
- Jesus then says: “I AM ONE that bear witness of myself AND the Father that sent me beareth witness of me.”
If Modalism were correct, how do they explain that Jesus is comparing their law that says the TESTIMONY OF TWO MEN IS TRUE?
- Jesus is clearly saying: “HEY, there’s ME and SOMEONE ELSE.” It’s not just me. Is this difficult to see?
- I’m not sure how anyone with an open and clear mind that hasn’t been indoctrinated cannot see this.
- Jesus is THE GREATEST TEACHER of all. He is being very clear right there. He’s not tricking us.
- He says: “I AM NOT ALONE.” He says my Father is there who has sent me.
- He doesn’t say: “My Father doesn’t exist right now because I am the Father in the mode of the Son.”
If the Father and the Son were the same, that would only be ONE WITNESS.
- Jesus says there are 2 here giving testimony and bearing witness.
- You can use the SAME EXAMPLE as earlier from a courtroom.
- If you have me testify 3 different times as a father, a husband, and an engineer you’ll still ONLY have one witness because I am the same person.
- It simply takes another person to be a second witness.
The courtroom would LAUGH anyone out that would try to say that I am 3 different witnesses.
- They would kick me out as a witness and say that I’m crazy. Same thing should happen to modalism.
- Kick it out of the Christian churches and get back to the Bible.
Did Jesus Send Himself?
- Let’s look at another verse that says God the Father sent Jesus. John Chapter 8 verse 42.
[SLIDE 9] John 8:42 Jesus said unto them, If God were your Father, ye would love me: for I proceeded forth and came from God; neither came I of myself, but he sent me.
- Jesus says right here that I came from God. He says: “I DIDN’T COME OF MYSELF BUT HE THAT SENT ME!!!”
- Does that verse right there not disprove all of MODALISM? Yes, it does.
- Jesus HIMSELF says I didn’t come of myself. He says the Father sent me.
- If Jesus and God the Father were the same person, this would make no sense.
This makes sense when God is 3 in 1. Do you see that? It’s very easy and simple to see this.
- Jesus didn’t send Himself. If there were only ONE PERSON, who sent Jesus?
- Jesus says He didn’t send Himself. Modalism says Jesus sent Himself.
- They might try to slither around this verse and try to twist it around and look like I did when wasps were attacking me.
- But they can’t get out of all of these verse in the Bible.
Give up the false doctrines and the false teachings. Let go of the religion and follow the Bible.
- If ALL OF YOUR BELIEFS don’t match with every single verse, then you have it wrong.
- Search for the truth. Stop listening to man and simply read your Bible. Seek and you will find.
[SLIDE 10] Jeremiah 29:13 And ye shall seek me, and find me, when ye shall search for me with all your heart.
- If you aren’t seeking the truth, you aren’t reading your Bible.
- If you’re seeking the truth with all your heart, you’ll read the word of God and see the truth.
- You won’t know the truth if you don’t know the word of God.
- If you’re not of God, you won’t hear the verses today, and you won’t understand them.
- How do I know this?
- We were just reading John 8:42 in which Jesus says He didn’t send Himself.
- I want to show you John 8:46-47.
[SLIDE 11] John 8:46-47 Which of you convinceth me of sin? And if I say the truth, why do ye not believe me? 47 He that is of God heareth God’s words: ye therefore hear them not, because ye are not of God.
- Jesus is saying: “If I say the truth, why do you not believe me?” He’s trying to tell us all something today.
- Read His words in the Bible. They are TRUE WORDS. He says: “Look, it’s right here!!! Why do you not believe me?”
- And then He tells us why people won’t believe what He says in the Bible.
- Jesus says: “You don’t hear me because YE ARE NOT OF GOD.”
Give up your religious experiences. Give up YOUR FEELINGS. Give up your denomination.
- Give up YOUR EVIL FRIENDS. Give up YOUR EVIL PASTOR.
- John the Baptist came preaching the Baptism of Repentance. This means HEY, LOOK OVER HERE!!!
- Look at these words! Do you see them??? Jesus is HERE! Read His Words!!! Change your mind today.
- Don’t listen to me. Read the word of God.
Is The Word Persons Scriptural?
- I want to move onto the subject of the word “PERSONS” as given to us in the Bible. Why?
- Because modalists or people who are anti-trinity have a big issue with the word 3 persons in 1.
- They don’t like if you say God is 3 persons in 1 GOD.
When you read the Bible cover to cover, over and over again, it’s very clear that God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Ghost are not the same person or individual or whatever you want to call it.
- The Bible tells us over and over again that Jesus is God but it also tells us that Jesus is NOT God the Father.
- But, what’s the issue with using the word PERSONS?
- There shouldn’t be an issue with this word because the Bible says so. Let’s see.
- Starting in verse 1 of Hebrews Chapter 1.
[SLIDE 12] Hebrews 1:1-3 God, who at sundry times and in divers manners spake in time past unto the fathers by the prophets, 2 Hath in these last days spoken unto us by his Son, whom he hath appointed heir of all things, by whom also he made the worlds; 3 Who being the brightness of his glory, and the express image of his person, and upholding all things by the word of his power, when he had by himself purged our sins, sat down on the right hand of the Majesty on high;
- So this passage tells us that God has spoken to us by His Son whom God appointed heir of all things whom God also made creation by Jesus who is in the express image of HIS PERSON.
- So this passage uses the word PERSON to describe the image of God, HIS PERSON.
- And then this says that JESUS sat down on the right hand of the MAJESTY ON HIGH.
- Did Jesus sit down as the MAJESTY ON HIGH? No, He sat down on the right hand of God the Father.
- If there were only ONE, this verse would make no sense at all.
- Since we’re already here in Hebrews Chapter 1, I want to quickly look at a verse that we use during soul winning to show that Jesus is God.
[SLIDE 13] Hebrews 1:8 But unto the Son he saith, Thy throne, O God, is for ever and ever: a sceptre of righteousness is the sceptre of thy kingdom.
- Jesus is God but He is not God the Father. The Bible is very clear.
Jesus Is Not Subdued Or Subject To Himself
- Let’s continue and show that Jesus is subdued to the Father or subject to the Father.
- What does that mean? This simply means that Jesus is under the Father.
- There’s a priority in the Godhead. Jesus is not the leader. Jesus is God, but God the Father is the leader.
- Understand that today.
In my family of 5, we are the Tapp Family. I am the leader of this family. We are the same family.
- My wife is subject to me. Our children are subject to my wife and also subject to me.
- Why? Because we follow the Bible. I am then subject to the Holy Spirit, Jesus Christ, and God the Father.
- There’s a chain of command in the Bible, and we choose to follow that chain of command.
- You can follow it or reject it. You can make up your own chain of command. God gave you the choice.
[SLIDE 14] 1 Corinthians 15:23-28 But every man in his own order: Christ the firstfruits; afterward they that are Christ’s at his coming. 24 Then cometh the end, when he shall have delivered up the kingdom to God, even the Father; when he shall have put down all rule and all authority and power. 25 For he must reign, till he hath put all enemies under his feet. 26 The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death. 27 For he hath put all things under his feet. But when he saith, all things are put under him, it is manifest that he is excepted, which did put all things under him. 28 And when all things shall be subdued unto him, then shall the Son also himself be subject unto him that put all things under him, that God may be all in all.
- Notice in verse 24 it says that Jesus delivers up the kingdom to God, even the Father.
- Then in verse 28 it says that the Son shall then be ALSO HIMSELF subject unto HIM, talking about 2 different persons, that God may be all in all.
- And all of God is the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit.
If there were only ONE, how would Jesus deliver up the kingdom to the Father?
- He would just deliver it to Himself.
- How would Jesus be subject or subdued to the Father is there were only ONE person?
- I think the Modalist make up something like: “Well, God is existing as the Son in this verse and then in the end He will go back to being the Father.”
- I think that’s what they mean. Who knows? But this verse still wouldn’t make sense!
- There’s obviously 2 persons at one moment in this verse.
- They probably use that last part of the verse that says “That God may be all in all” to say “SEE! Jesus turns into God the Father now!”
- What??? Amazing stuff. Don’t twist the scriptures. You’re only deceiving yourselves.
“My God, My God, Why Hast Thou Forsaken Me?”
- Now let’s move to Matthew 27 verse 46. Let’s look closely here.
[SLIDE 15] Matthew 27:46 And about the ninth hour Jesus cried with a loud voice, saying, Eli, Eli, lama sabachthani? that is to say, My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me?
- Was Jesus tricking us and calling out to Himself? Who is Jesus crying out to? Is it Himself?
- No, of course not. It’s very easy to explain this when you know the truth about God.
- God exists as 3 persons so obviously Jesus is calling out to God the Father. He says: “MY GOD, MY GOD.”
The Son of God became sin for us.
- Because He became sin for us God the Father has to forsake Jesus and pour out His wrath upon Him.
- God the Father punishes Jesus because He takes all of our sin. It wasn’t His sin. It was ours.
- This happens because of us and not Jesus.
Some people will again try to twist this scripture and say Jesus wasn’t really forsaken. Well, guess what?
- That’s what Jesus says right here. Was He trying to trick us again? Jesus is the truth.
- Jesus always tells the truth. Do you understand that today?
- If He wasn’t forsaken right here, then He wouldn’t have said it.
Jesus says: “WHY HAST THOU FORSAKEN ME?” You need to know that God the Father forsake Jesus.
- Forsaken means left or abandoned.
- You see: God the Father had to because Jesus became sin for us.
- It’s very simple and easy to understand.
The Modalists will continue to twist this scripture. They will say that there is no difference in the Father and the Son.
- They will say that this verse is showing a difference between Jesus Christ as God and Jesus Christ as man.
- They are very confused and very confusing to anyone who knows the truth.
- So, let’s go with the Modalist interpretation of this Scripture, Matthew 27:46.
- They will say that God is leaving Jesus Christ the man when He dies. I guess that’s what they’re saying.
- Many of the most well-known modalists will say that Jesus Christ stopped being God right before He died on the cross.
This means they have some man named “JESUS” that died for them and he isn’t even God.
- Do you understand what that means today? They say God didn’t die for them.
- This is an attack of the Diety of Jesus Christ!
- That’s why we need to preach against Modalism so people do not fall for this trash.
- Some people fall for it because they’re looking for a church home and don’t even know what a particular church believes.
With us, we’ll put it right out there for you so you understand EXACTLY what we believe what the Bible truly says.
- We don’t change it, twist it, or create fairy tales from it.
- We don’t try to hide our actual beliefs so we can make everyone happy, get more members, and collect more offering.
- We put God first, and we let Him take care of the rest.
So listen to this: Modalism leads to weird and strange doctrines because they have to twist God’s words to fit their beliefs.
- For example, they will say that Jesus the God didn’t die on the cross because there’s only one God and if He died on the cross then God would cease to exist.
- Do you see where that leads?
- They then have to say that Jesus ceased to be God on the cross right before He died.
“I Have Not Spoken Of Myself”
- Let’s continue with another passage.
[SLIDE 16] John 12:49-50 For I have not spoken of myself; but the Father which sent me, he gave me a commandment, what I should say, and what I should speak. 50 And I know that his commandment is life everlasting: whatsoever I speak therefore, even as the Father said unto me, so I speak.
- If Jesus is God the Father, why would He say: “I have not spoken of myself; but the Father which sent me?”
- Why would Jesus say that the Father gave Him a commandment and to say the things He is speaking?
Jesus is instead saying that He is doing and saying the exact things that the Father wants Him to do and say.
- Jesus is perfectly obedient to the Father making Jesus God.
- If Jesus were God the Father, He would be lying in this verse.
- Why didn’t Jesus say that He sent Himself into the world?
- Why didn’t He say I am the only ONE and there is no one else? Why didn’t Jesus say those things?
- He didn’t say anything like that because it’s not true.
- The correct doctrine that teaches ONE GOD is made up of 3: the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit then that makes sense with this passage in John Chapter 12.
If You’ve Seen Me, You’ve Seen The Father
- Let’s continue and look at some more scripture within the Bible.
- I want to look at a passage of scripture that the Modalists use as their proof that Jesus is God the Father.
[SLIDE 17] John 14:6-9 Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me. 7 If ye had known me, ye should have known my Father also: and from henceforth ye know him, and have seen him. 8 Philip saith unto him, Lord, shew us the Father, and it sufficeth us. 9 Jesus saith unto him, Have I been so long time with you, and yet hast thou not known me, Philip? he that hath seen me hath seen the Father; and how sayest thou then, Shew us the Father?
- They’ll say: “SEE!!! Jesus is God the Father.” If you’ve seen me, you’ve seen the Father.
- They will say that this means they are both the SAME PERSON and that Jesus is God the Father.
- The problem is that if that’s true hundreds of other scriptures, some that we have already seen, would make no sense and would contradict each other.
God puts passages like this in the Bible so we have to study to understand, so that we have to use His words to figure out what it all means.
- He usually does so in the same passages.
- We don’t just read a verse or two and take it out of context and use it for an entire new religion while ignoring the rest of the Bible.
- So, this is pretty easy to disprove their entire PROOF TEXT for their ENTIRE RELIGION.
- Just look at the next verse in John 14 verse 10.
[SLIDE 18] John 14:10 Believest thou not that I am in the Father, and the Father in me? the words that I speak unto you I speak not of myself: but the Father that dwelleth in me, he doeth the works.
- Jesus says, “Don’t you believe that I am in the Father and the Father in me?”
- Again, Jesus says the words that I SPEAK unto you I SPEAK not of MYSELF!!!
- He says the Father is speaking who dwells within me. Why didn’t Jesus just say I am the Father?
- Why would He say the Father is in me and I am in the Father? He’s not trying to trick us.
If Jesus was God the Father, what about John 6:46 that we went over earlier?
- It says NO MAN HATH SEEN THE FATHER. Jesus is saying He is in the Father and the Father is in Him.
- He’s not saying they are the same person.
You can ask those same modalists after they read you John 14 as their proof text: “Do you have the Holy Spirit within you?”
- They will assuredly say: “OH YES!!! I speak in tongues so I know I have the Holy Spirit!!!”
- Say: “Are you the Holy Spirit?” They will say: “Of course not.” Well, read John 14 again.
- Just because Jesus says the Father is within me; it doesn’t mean that Jesus is the Father.
- If the Holy Spirit is within you, it doesn’t make you the Holy Spirit.
- It’s very simple and easy to disprove their entire religion.
- When you have the truth in front of you with God’s Word, it’s not difficult to disprove false teaching.
- It’s very easy.
Now, if we didn’t have the truth, it would be very difficult to disprove their fairy tales.
- That’s why all of the false religions tell you that there is no definitie truth in the Bible.
- They will tell you we don’t have a perfect Bible even though the Bible says we do.
- You see: you can’t help people who don’t believe the Bible is perfect.
- They will slither around any proof you show them to defend their man-made evil and wicked religions.
These people don’t understand that they’ve been deceived.
- Open your eyes, understand the King James Bible is the perfect word of God, and hear the words within.
- Then, you’ll find the truth.
- You won’t find the truth from a bunch of corrupted bibles, and you won’t find the truth by changing the words from God into whatever you want them to be.
When you change God’s words, you’re creating a false god!!! Understand that today.
- Your false god has no power to save you. You’re siding with the wrong god in your false religion.
- Your god is nothing when its based on the word of man, words of lies and deception and tricks.
- It’s like a slippery serpent. You let a false god run your life.
When we are saved through Jesus Christ, we are now in Him.
- That doesn’t make us Jesus even though some false religions and false preachers will tell you that you are now the exact same as Jesus, and that we’re little gods just like Jesus.
- WRONG! Jesus is God and we’re not.
- If Jesus is in the Father and the Father is within Him, it proves they are not the SAME PERSON.
- Yet, Modalists use this as their proof text.
- If they would simply continue reading the Bible and STOP PICKING AND CHOOSING what they want to hear, they would go down to John Chapter 14, same Chapter, and read verse 28.
[SLIDE 19] John 14:28 Ye have heard how I said unto you, I go away, and come again unto you. If ye loved me, ye would rejoice, because I said, I go unto the Father: for my Father is greater than I.
- If Jesus were God the Father, why would He say He’s going unto the Father and that the Father is greater than I?
- How is He greater if they are the same person?
- Proof against their religion is the entire Bible, but they won’t hear it.
- They won’t dare face the men and women of their religion.
- These grown men and grown women won’t go against their daddy, or their mommy, or their pastor, or their friends, or their religion.
- Those people will hate them and shun them if they leave their false religion.
- Well, guess what? Who cares? Do you love God more or the men and women of this world?
- Do you want God on your side or do you want all your friends and family on your side?
[SLIDE 20] Matthew 22:36-38 Master, which is the great commandment in the law? 37 Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind. 38 This is the first and great commandment.
- If you don’t follow the first and great commandment, you’ll NEVER find the truth.
- Again, do you love God more or do you love the men and women of this world more?
- Do you want to not make the people around you mad OR do you not want to make God mad? You can’t have both.
[SLIDE 21] Matthew 10:34-36 Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword. 35 For I am come to set a man at variance against his father, and the daughter against her mother, and the daughter in law against her mother in law. 36 And a man’s foes shall be they of his own household.
- You see: I’ve chosen God so I will make the people around me mad.
- Do I care if the word of God makes them mad? No, I don’t.
- You can hate me but know this: Is it me making them mad? Nope. I’m only preaching what the Bible says.
- They aren’t mad at me. They’re mad at God. And guess what?
- You can be mad at God all you want, but you better conform to what He says.
- If you don’t, the outlook isn’t good for you.
- Be a man. Be bold. Be a woman. Be bold. God made man, male and female He created them.
- And He saw that it was VERY GOOD. God made you. God gave you life. Stand up for God.
- Stand up for the truth.
[SLIDE 22] Proverbs 28:1 The wicked flee when no man pursueth: but the righteous are bold as a lion.
- Is the word of God going to make someone mad? Is the word of God going to cause an argument?
- Is the word of God going to cause division? Oh yes.
- Does that mean we just get along with all of them that are preaching and teaching lies over and over again.
- No!!! We don’t get along with them. God doesn’t get along with them. God doesn’t love liars.
- Do we do evil to them? No, we tell them the truth. If that causes the argument, so be it.
God will repay He says. We don’t do evil. Telling someone what the word of God says is not evil.
- If you withhold from telling someone the truth, from the Word of God, because you know it’s going to start an argument, their blood is on your hands when they’re looking up from hell into your eyes with pain and torment.
- Do you understand that today? I hope so.
- I’m tired of all the lies from churches telling you to accept everything.
- They say accepting everything is love. So don’t cause an argument because it’s not loving.
- Don’t tell someone the truth because that’s not love. Well, HEY YOU GOT IT WRONG, CHURCHES!!!
- If you think that’s what love is, you don’t read and you don’t know your Bible AT ALL.
- God doesn’t accept everything. God throws people into hell.
- Explain that one away CHURCHES that preach love, love, love no matter what at all times no matter what.
- God doesn’t say this. You made it up.
“He Shall Not Speak Of Himself”
- Let’s move to the next scripture that proves God is 3 in 1 and that Modalism is false.
- And it’s not okay to teach false things about God. It’s not.
- So let’s not make Modalism out to be Christian and they have a right to their own belief and we’ll be tolerable of their beliefs.
- No, it’s not okay to send people to hell.
[SLIDE 23] John 16:13 Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come.
- Jesus says that the Spirit of Truth is coming. Jesus says: “HE WILL GUIDE YOU INTO ALL TRUTH!”
- He doesn’t say I will do it. He says “HE WILL DO IT.”
- This proves the Holy Spirit is another person of the Godhead.
- It makes sense with every other Scripture in the Bible because it’s the truth.
You see: under all the lies and all the deceit, there is a truth. The truth is only found in the Bible.
- If you want to STOP the lies, go to the Bible. That’s where you’ll find the truth.
- Take a closer look at John 16:13 there. It says: “He shall not speak of Himself.”
- This is talking about the Holy Spirit.
Modalism will say that God the Father, Jesus Christ, and the Holy Spirit are all the same person.
- If that’s true, why does Jesus say that the Holy Spirit will not speak of Himself?
- If Modalism were true, the Holy Spirit would be speaking of Himself because there’s only ONE.
- That would make Modalism true and the Bible a lie. NOPE. Wrong again.
Modalism says Jesus prayed to Himself, that Jesus obeyed Himself, that He sent Himself to die for us, that He stopped being God before He died on the Cross, and that He did everything Himself.
- But what’s the Bible say? Jesus Himself says I didn’t do that of myself. I’m not speaking of myself.
- So what’s the truth? See the truth. If you can’t, you’re not hearing God’s words.
- Look at the next verse in John Chapter 16, verse 14.
[SLIDE 24] John 16:14-16 He shall glorify me: for he shall receive of mine, and shall shew it unto you. 15 All things that the Father hath are mine: therefore said I, that he shall take of mine, and shall shew it unto you. 16 A little while, and ye shall not see me: and again, a little while, and ye shall see me, because I go to the Father.
- Jesus says the Holy Spirit will glorify Jesus. All 3 within the Godhead are shown right here in these verses.
- Jesus says He’s going to the Father but the Holy Spirit is coming. How can they all be the same?
- One’s going one direction and the other is going the opposite direction?
- Jesus says I am going away and the Spirit of Truth is coming. Jesus is going to the Father.
- How does any of that make sense at all if they are the same person? It doesn’t.
- Your eyes are blinded if you can’t see that.
Jesus Has A Different Will Than The Father
- Let’s look at Mark 14:36 next.
[SLIDE 25] Mark 14:36 And he said, Abba, Father, all things are possible unto thee; take away this cup from me: nevertheless not what I will, but what thou wilt.
- Jesus says: “ABBA FATHER.”
- Is He praying to Himself or to a different person who we all know as God the Father?
- It’s pretty easy to see this, right?
- He’s not falling down and praying to Himself and calling Himself the Father.
- He wouldn’t need to pray to Himself.
But look at the second half of the verse that says: “NOT WHAT I WILL, BUT WHAT THOU WILT.”
- He’s saying not what I want, but what you want.
- This means He has a different will than the Father because He’s a different person than the Father.
- How can they be the SAME PERSON when Jesus wants something different than the Father?
- Jesus despised the shame of the cross as Hebrews 12:2 tells us.
- Jesus didn’t want to go through the Cross, but He endured the cross because of the joy that would come from His sacrifice.
[SLIDE 26] Hebrews 12:2 Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith; who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.
- Jesus prayed: “Father, take away this cup from me if possible.”
- And He said, “BUT, I will do what YOU WANT; Not what I want.”
- Jesus is asking the Father to please find another way. Do you think the Father heard Him?
- Oh yeah, He heard His Son. Taking the cup away from Jesus was not possible. It had to be done.
- And Jesus said, “I’ll do it.”
- So why would this prayer and this conversation take place if Jesus was God the Father? It wouldn’t.
- I mean seriously, this is crazy stuff that’s being taught in Modalism.
- We have to wake up!!! Open your eyes.
“For There Are 3 That Bear Record In Heaven”
- Next, I want to go to 1 John Chapter 5 and start there in verse 6.
[SLIDE 27] 1 John 5:6-9 This is he that came by water and blood, even Jesus Christ; not by water only, but by water and blood. And it is the Spirit that beareth witness, because the Spirit is truth. 7 For there are three that bear record in heaven, the Father, the Word, and the Holy Ghost: and these three are one. 8 And there are three that bear witness in earth, the spirit, and the water, and the blood: and these three agree in one. 9 If we receive the witness of men, the witness of God is greater: for this is the witness of God which he hath testified of his Son.
- Many of the Modalists or Oneness Pentacostals will use the King James Bible, but they will say that 1 John 5:7 is a mistake in the translation.
- All men make errors so there is no translation that is perfect.
- They will say: “We need to go back to the Greek.” The sad part is they don’t know Greek.
The sad part is that there’s lots and lots of evidence that 1 John 5:7 should be in the Bible.
- Early Church leaders wrote about 1 John 5:7 and used the verse in their writings.
- But, all of that evidence and proof is ignored because it doesn’t match their religion.
- They will pick and choose what they like in the Bible. That’s a very sad place to be.
- You decide for yourself who God is by picking and choosing your false god in the Bible.
With that said, let’s look at these verses in CONTEXT because this annihilates the Modalist Doctrine.
- This is why they choose to say it’s a mistake in the Bible.
- There are 3 WITNESSES that bear record in heaven. It’s not JUST saying these 3 are one.
- Look at the entire passage. There are 3 that witnesses in heaven!
- These are BIG TIME witnesses because they are from heaven and they are GOD!
- The passage talks about receiving the witness of men.
- We receive the witness of men with 2 or 3 witnesses. For example, 1 Timothy 5:19 says this:
[SLIDE 28] 1 Timothy 5:19 Against an elder receive not an accusation, but before two or three witnesses.
- When we have 2 or 3 witnesses, we receive that testimony from those witnesses.
- If there’s just one witness saying something that doesn’t match others, we don’t receive that testimony.
- In 1 John 5:6-9, we see that there are 3 witnesses in HEAVEN.
- God the Father has testified of the Son, the Son has testified of Himself, and the Holy Spirit has testified of the Son.
- Do you see that? 3 witnesses from HEAVEN! All 3 have testified of the Son of God.
- Yet, you have this MODALIST HERESY saying there’s only one.
- Jesus Himself says that if He ONLY bear record of Himself is witness is not true.
If GOD were only one person, there wouldn’t be ANY witnesses to testify.
- Who would be there from the VERY beginning to testify that Jesus is God?
- No one else was there except God the Father and the Holy Spirit.
- They testify of the Son of God, Jesus Christ.
The same person coming in with 3 different modes is not 3 different witnesses.
- The same person cannot be 3 different witnesses. It’s ONE. And ONE witness isn’t enough.
- God’s witness is GREATER because there are THREE THAT BEAR RECORD IN HEAVEN!!!
- And those 3 are 3 that cannot lie because each of them is GOD.
- They will always agree in witness because those 3 are 1.
And then you get these MODALIST HERETICS saying things like: “You believe in the Trinity? That’s CRAZY man.”
- Well, let me tell you, if you don’t believe that God is 3 in 1, then you don’t believe the Bible.
- You probably never read the Bible, and if you do, something is seriously wrong.
- You have to slither your way out of 1 John 5:7 too which says THESE THREE ARE ONE!
“For In Him Dwelleth All The Fulness of the Godhead Bodily”
- Let’s look at another verse that the MODALIST’s use as a proof text for their false religion.
- And once you see this, you’ll be surprised this is a verse they choose.
- You see: the best deceivers ever will take the truth and ride that line and just twist it slightly to change it’s entire meaning.
- They are very good at this.
[SLIDE 29] Colossians 2:9 For in him dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily.
- So, what’s the word Godhead actually mean? This word doesn’t mean anything like we might think.
- Godhead isn’t referring to the Trinity or 3 in 1 at all. Or 3 modes or anything like that.
- The Modalists think that this verse means that Jesus bodily is all 3 modes BODILY.
Godhead doesn’t mean 3 in one or more than 1 at all. It simply means Godhood or divinity or being God.
- When you look up the definition, it means Godship, deity, divine, being God.
- When you look back at Colossians 2:9, it’s simply saying that the fulness of God dwells within Jesus bodily.
- JESUS IS FULLY GOD!!!
The word Godhead is an older from of the word Godhood. It’s the same as saying manhood. It’s being a man.
- That’s all it is and every definition everywhere in all languages match this. No one will argue that.
- But you get the Modalists arguing that that word means something it doesn’t.
- You can even look at the other verses in the Bible that use the word Godhead and you’ll see the definition of Godhead fits in every verse.
- Their made-up definition doesn’t fit at all. Let’s look at one of these instances in Romans 1:20.
[SLIDE 30] Romans 1:20 For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse:
- Pay attention to the part that says “EVEN HIS ETERNAL POWER AND GODHEAD.”
- Put the definition in that sentence and it makes perfect sense: “Even HIS eternal power and Godhood.”
- If you put their definition, it would be something like: “Even HIS eternal power and His Father, Son, and Holy Ghost modes.”
- It doesn’t make sense, but thye twist it to make it fit their false doctrine.
His Godhood, His deity, His divinity. All these make sense 100%.
- What the verses are NOT saying is that Jesus is the Father, Jesus is the Son, and Jesus is the Holy Spirit BODILY.
- That’s what the Modalists think those verses about Godhead say.
- They use them as proof for their fairy tales. Seriously. That’s making up your own definitions for words.
- Where does that verse say what they’ll tell you? More man-made doctrine and teaching.
We believe that God is 3 persons in 1 and that all 3 persons are fully God and together are God.
- There is only ONE TRUE GOD that exists in 3 persons.
- Each of the 3 are fully God. God the Father is FULLY GOD but is not the Son or the Holy Spirit.
- The Son of God is FULLY GOD but is not the Father or the Holy Spirit.
- The Holy Spirit is FULLY GOD but is not the Father or the Son.
- We know this because the Bible clearly teaches this. We didn’t make it up.
Conclusion to God Is Three In One Part 1
- We’re going to end Part 1 of the God Is Three in One Sermon. We’ll get to God Is Three In One Part 2 next.
- So, we’ve seen many examples of God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit being separate and distinct individuals or persons.
It’s pretty easy and clear to see when you open your eyes and have an open mind with no indoctrination.
- We must get rid of all the man-made teaching and find the truth in the Bible.
- There is no way God can be anything else but ONE TRUE GOD in 3 persons with each being fully God.
- Nothing else works because it’s not the truth.
- You simply cannot explain away all the proof in the hundreds of verses within the Bible.
- We aren’t going to stop here, though.
- We’re going to continue this sermon another day with more and more proof that God is ONE GOD in 3 persons.