- Sermon Slides for Sermon The Spirit, Soul, and Body: Slides
- Printable PDF for Sermon The Spirit, Soul, and Body: PDF
 The title of the sermon today is “THE SPIRIT, THE SOUL, AND THE BODY.”
God’s Design For You = Spirit, Soul, and Body
- When God gave you life, He made you. God designed you. What is God’s design?
- You have a spirit, a soul, and a body. These 3 make you whole. With all 3, you are 100%.
 1 Thessalonians 5:23 And the very God of peace sanctify you wholly; and I pray God your whole spirit and soul and body be preserved blameless unto the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ.
- We believe in the Triune God, the Trinity, 3 in 1. This is the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit.
- We also are 3 in 1. We believe we have a 1) BODY, 2) A SOUL, and 3) A SPIRIT.
- All 3 of those are right there in that verse.
- “Your spirit, your soul, and your body be preserved blameless unto the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ.”
 Hebrews 4:12 For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.
- Notice here that the word of God is quick, powerful, sharper than ANY sword.
- The word of God can divide the soul and spirit (asunder means to divide into parts).
- Also see that it says and of the joints and marrow (referencing the body).
- So again all 3 are seen here: body, soul, spirit.
Everyone has had confusion about the body, soul, and spirit in the Bible.
- It’s not easy to understand without studying the word of God thoroughly.
- We’ve all been confused when it comes to these things because we can’t see them.
- We can see our body so it’s much easier for us to understand the flesh or the body.
- The soul and spirit is a little tougher because we can’t see it.
- So today, we’re going go over this in detail so we fully understand all 3.
- What is the difference in the soul and the spirit?
- After this sermon, you should know this difference much better.
- Understanding this will also help us in the way that we live.
Let’s talk about the spirit first.
- What is THE SPIRIT? What is it exactly? Let’s see what the Bible says.
 James 2:26 For as the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without works is dead also.
- Focus in on the first part of that verse there. THE BODY WITHOUT THE SPIRIT IS DEAD.
- The body is still there but it’s dead because the spirit is gone.
- Physical death is when your Spirit leaves your body.
- You are not dead until your spirit leaves your body.
 Genesis 25:8 Then Abraham gave up the ghost, and died in a good old age, an old man, and full of years; and was gathered to his people.
 Genesis 25:17 And these are the years of the life of Ishmael, an hundred and thirty and seven years: and he gave up the ghost and died; and was gathered unto his people.
 Genesis 35:29 And Isaac gave up the ghost, and died, and was gathered unto his people, being old and full of days: and his sons Esau and Jacob buried him.
 Job 14:10 But man dieth, and wasteth away: yea, man giveth up the ghost, and where is he?
 Mark 15:37 And Jesus cried with a loud voice, and gave up the ghost.
- There are many more verses about giving up the ghost in the Bible.
- Think of the ghost in this way: The Holy Ghost = The Holy Spirit.
- When the Bible uses the word ghost, it’s talking about your Spirit.
- When Abraham gave up the ghost, his spirit left him and he died.
- Same thing with Jesus right there in Mark 15:37. When the spirit left Jesus, He died. He gave up the ghost.
The Spirit Leaves Your Body When You Die
The spirit leaves you when you die.
- The last breath is when you die. You take your last breath.
- The word ghost actually means to yield up the breath or to expire, to give up the spirit.
- Same thing with the word SPIRIT. Think of RESPIRATOR, a breathing machine.
- You can hear the word SPIRIT inside the word RESPIRATOR. It means to breathe.
- When you no longer breathe, you no longer physically live within your body.
- A BODY cannot live without the spirit present.
Why can’t doctors bring people back to life once the spirit is gone?
- Doctors can only work on the body; the physical body.
- They can only stop the spirit from leaving the body by keeping the body alive.
- For example: once the spirit leaves the body, the doctors can’t bring the spirit back.
- If the body is not yet dead, the spirit hasn’t left. God is in control of that.
- But once the spirit is gone, the doctors don’t go searching for that spirit and bring it back.
- “Hey spirit, where did you go? Come on back. I have something nice for you. Come on back spirit.”
- It doesn’t work that way. We don’t know how to bring the spirit back.
- And we never will know how to do that.
 Acts 7:59 And they stoned Stephen, calling upon God, and saying, Lord Jesus, receive my spirit.
- Stephen is getting stoned and is saying “God, please receive my spirit. Lord Jesus please receive my spirit.”
- Stephen was FULL OF THE HOLY GHOST. The Bible tells us this right before the stoning takes place.
- I believe Stephen was so full of the Holy Ghost that his soul and spirit was divided from his body.
- We need to be the same. Understand that we need to walk in the Spirit and not in the flesh.
- Allow the word of God to divide us in that way.
Stephen is a great example of this. If he was choosing the flesh, Stephen wouldn’t have allowed that to happen.
- For example, when Peter denies Jesus 3 times, Peter is choosing the flesh. He was saving his flesh.
- Stephen didn’t care about saving his flesh right there in Acts 7:59.
- Stephen should have been in great agony but maybe he didn’t even feel anything because he was full of the Holy Spirit.
- His body was divided from His Spirit in this example.
- Do you see that? Do you see how the body, soul, and spirit are different? God can divide them.
 Genesis 2:7 And the LORD God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul.
- God breathed life into man and man became a living soul.
- One day, that life will be breathed out of us. This means our spirit will leave the body.
- You cannot survive or continue living without a spirit.
- If there were a way to remove a spirit from a body, the body would die.
- But instead, the body physically dies and the spirit leaves the body.
Think about the times people describe others by their spirit.
- “Pam has a kind and welcoming spirit that loves to eat chocolate.”
- Her spirit just loves chocolate. Her spirit loves her children. She has a motherly spirit.
- Or, you might hear someone say that this person has a bad spirit. They have an angry spirit.
- This is talking about someone’s personality. It’s the life and who they are.
- For example, Jesus Christ, HIS SPIRIT is meek and lowly. He has a humble spirit. He has a Spirit of peace.
 Matthew 11:29-30 Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls. 30 For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.
- Our life inside of us gives us personality. Our spirit gives us personality.
- Our body without our spirit, would be pretty boring wouldn’t it? It wouldn’t talk to us. It wouldn’t move.
- It’s nothing without the spirit. No one wants to have a conversation with a dead body.
- Maybe medical examiners like to talk with dead bodies. A dead body is boring. It’s not talking back.
- There’s different types of personalities in spirits. The Bible tells us not to be quick to anger in our spirit.
 Ecclesiastes 7:9 Be not hasty in thy spirit to be angry: for anger resteth in the bosom of fools.
- When someone talks about your personality, they’re explaining your spirit.
- You want to have a spirit like Jesus. Your spirit can change by allowing the Holy Spirit to take over.
The Spirit And The Body Are Connected
- The spirit is connected to your body.
- There’s proof of this because your spirit can change moods very quickly based on your body.
- Children and even adults will turn on you quickly if they’re hungry.
- You’re like: “What just happened to Emma Jo??? She was so happy. Oh, she’s hungry. Her little belly is growling.”
- Or, you’re not a very happy spirit if you’re not getting rest and sleep.
Or, you have a great and joyful spirit when everything is going good and your body is feeling great.
- Pain will give you an unhappy spirit. The body and the spirit is connected!
- So look, we can’t let the body affect our spirit so greatly. How do we do that? Let’s see.
- This is where Hebrews 4:12 is so very useful.
 Hebrews 4:12 For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.
- The word of God can separate the body from the soul and the spirit.
- This is what you want so you can choose to walk in the Spirit over the flesh.
- In other words, don’t let your body affect your Spirit so greatly. This is VERY, VERY important.
- So, the body, soul and spirit are all CONNECTED but they are separate from each other.
- Same thing with God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit.
- He designed us in this way, and God is trying to show us what that means.
How do we walk in the Spirit and not the flesh?
- We stay in the word of God constantly. That’s how we do it.
- I know from experience. If I get away from the word of God, I walk in the flesh and not the Spirit.
- The closer I am to God by staying in His word, the more I am able to walk in the Spirit.
- We won’t fulfill the lusts of the flesh that desires sin.
- The flesh wants carnal things. We want what’s best for ourselves.
- The flesh is all about me. It’s all about loving myself. “Hey, what’s best for me.”
- The Holy Spirit is all about others. “Hey, what can I do for someone else?”
- King David wanted to know how he could show kindness to Saul’s house for the sake of Jonathan his friend.
The Word Of God Can Help Us Walk In The Spirit
- We can resist those changes in our spirit over what our body feels like. That’s our goal.
- The Apostle Paul had a thorn in the flesh.
 2 Corinthians 12:7-8 And lest I should be exalted above measure through the abundance of the revelations, there was given to me a thorn in the flesh, the messenger of Satan to buffet me, lest I should be exalted above measure. 8 For this thing I besought the Lord thrice, that it might depart from me.
- Look there. Paul asked the Lord three times to remove that thorn from his flesh.
- This was something that was bothering Paul in his flesh.
- Not sure what it is but it could have been something like a sickness that kept bothering him.
- Paul asked the Lord 4 times to remove that thorn from his flesh.
- How did God answer Paul? Let’s see.
 2 Corinthians 12:9 And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me.
- So God responds to Paul, “NO PAUL!!! My grace is sufficient for you.”
- God is doing what’s best for Paul. God says that MY STRENGTH is made perfect in weakness.
- If you want God’s strength to be made perfect, your body will be weaker. Rely on God.
- What’s Paul say to that? He says, “Okay, God. I understand. I will glory in my infirmities so the power of Jesus Christ may rest upon me.”
- Let the weak of the flesh remind you that you need to stay in God’s word.
- When you’re having trouble, go to God’s word ALWAYS. Allow God’s strength to take over.
- Don’t let your body take over. Allow God to divide your body from your spirit through His Word.
Example of someone who lives with a very bad sickness for a long time that leads to death.
- At some point, that person gives up. They understand that they aren’t going to make it.
- They understand that they’re body is dying.
- When they finally decide to stop fighting the bodily sickness, their spirit changes.
- Instead of angry and mad, they change completely.
- The ones who know they’re going to heaven are joyful and happy. You’ll see these people.
- They are about to die BUT YET they are joyful and happy.
- They’ve given up on their flesh. They understand their flesh is done.
- But their spirit is happy because they know they’re going to be with the Lord in heaven.
Why can’t we be the same without death coming to us first?
- If we lose a little sleep, we let our bodies take over and we’re in a horrible mood.
- If we get a little hungry, we get upset and angry. We get really moody.
- Now that never happens to me. I never get moody or upset. I am always perfectly joyful. Yeah right.
- But look, I’m working on it. How? By staying in the word of God as much as possible.
- Get to the point where you allow the Spirit to take over.
- Claim the promises of God without coming to the point of death.
You’re saved. You’re going to heaven. Live in that. Stop living in the flesh.
- Stop worrying about all of those fleshly things.
- The word of God will separate your body from your Spirit. Do you see this today? I hope so.
- Don’t let your body take over. Allow the Spirit to take over through the word of God.
- Take God’s promises and don’t let your body get in the way.
The Thorn Paul Had In His Flesh Showed Him This
The thorn in Paul’s flesh made him understand this same point.
- Same thing with Paul. God will make your body weaker so you understand to live through Him.
- Depend on Him. Not your body. That’s what Paul is teaching us here.
- Don’t let it get to the point of death in order to understand the body is weak.
- The Bible is teaching us that God is strong. Your body is weak.
- God shows Himself strong in our weakness. Always He does.
- Your best work will come when you allow God to take over when you’re weak.
“Hey God, please help me today because I’m weak today. I’m tired. I’m sick. I don’t know if I’ll make it through today. Tough day coming up, Lord. Please take over.”
- And guess what? You’ll do the best work ever because God is helping you.
- You’re depending on God because of your weakness.
- You are weak in your body. GOD IS STRONG!!!
 Mark 14:38 Watch ye and pray, lest ye enter into temptation. The spirit truly is ready, but the flesh is weak.
- This is where Jesus asked the disciples to wait and watch. Jesus went to pray.
- He comes back and they’re sleeping.
- Jesus says, “Hey, your Spirit is ready, but your flesh is weak.”
- They were tired and kept falling asleep. You want to do what’s right, but your flesh is weak.
- Your body gets in the way always. It’s weak.
- But guess what’s not weak? God is not weak. The Holy Spirit is not weak. Depend on God is what He’s saying.
- Don’t fall into temptation because of your flesh.
We can be pure in our body but not in our spirit.
- A bad spirit leads to corruption of your body. Do you see that?
- We MUST be pure in both body and in spirit. We can’t let a bad spirit corrupt our body either.
- For example, a spirit of anger that leads to sin will corrupt your body. This can hurt your body.
- This can even kill your body.
 1 Corinthians 7:34 There is difference also between a wife and a virgin. The unmarried woman careth for the things of the Lord, that she may be holy both in body and in spirit: but she that is married careth for the things of the world, how she may please her husband.
- We need to be pure in both body and spirit. Children who are growing up need to stay pure in their body.
- Evil things can start within your heart and spirit.
- When the Bible talks about the heart, it’s talking about the spirit many times.
- Your heart is the center of who you are.
- Evil imaginations can come from this world and surely will if you’re too close to this world.
- That’s why you NEED to separate yourself to the Gospel as Paul says in Romans Chapter 1.
- The world is nasty and vile and it will change your spirit. Evil can start with a bad spirit.
 Matthew 15:17-20 Do not ye yet understand, that whatsoever entereth in at the mouth goeth into the belly, and is cast out into the draught? 18 But those things which proceed out of the mouth come forth from the heart; and they defile the man. 19 For out of the heart proceed evil thoughts, murders, adulteries, fornications, thefts, false witness, blasphemies: 20 These are the things which defile a man: but to eat with unwashen hands defileth not a man.
- Out of the heart comes evil thoughts. You’re taking in wordly trash and your spirit changes.
- You allow evil, nasty, and vile thoughts into your mind and into your heart.
- That’s why we MUST keep those things out of us.
- We don’t need worldly trash coming into our minds and our brains.
- TV, movies, internet stories, the news. It’s all trash. Don’t let trash enter into your mind.
- What’s the alternative? Read the word of God. Study it.
“I Just Want To Have Fun. Reading The Bible Isn’t Fun!”
You might be thinking: “Well, that’s just too tedious and boring. I don’t want to spend all my time reading God’s word. I want to have some fun!!!”
- You see: that’s your flesh talking. That’s temptation. That’s not the Spirit talking.
- I can promise you. I can guarantee you that you will be far more JOYFUL if you spend your time reading God’s word. I’ve been there.
- Choosing worldly things will never make you happy.
- King Solomon who had more than anyone who has ever lived told us the same thing.
- He told us that, “HEY, LOOK, I HAD EVERYTHING YOU CAN THINK OF.” Then he said this:
 Ecclesiastes 2:17 Therefore I hated life; because the work that is wrought under the sun is grievous unto me: for all is vanity and vexation of spirit.
- It’s just like Callie told me this past week, “I love chocolate but then I eat it, it’s gone, it was good for a few seconds, but now I just want more.”
- Isn’t that right, Taylor? The candy is good for a few seconds but then you just want more!!!
- Same thing with money. Same thing with riches.
- Same thing with each and everything you find in this world.
- You’ll think that if you just had more, you would be happy.
- You might get more. But you’ll end up hating life.
- The truth is: NONE of those worldly things will make you happy. None of them.
We MUST guard our children from these nasty things of this world.
- We can’t let the world defile the spirits of our children.
- Evil can result from their spirits getting defiled by the world.
- This is why we keep our children away from people we do not know.
- You don’t leave your children with anyone.
There are sick and nasty people all over the place. You don’t know their spirits. You can’t see their thoughts.
- If those people end up doing something bad to our children, this can change our children forever.
- They might be angry for the rest of their life because of this one act by some nasty and sick person.
- Our job is to guard their body and their spirit.
- Child molesters should be put to death because their sick acts hurt the spirit of children for life.
- The government should be doing their job and putting those people to death.
- This is an act of neighborly love because you’re preventing that truly wicked person from hurting anyone else.
We receive the Holy Spirit once we are saved.
- If you have ever believed on Jesus Christ to save you, you’re saved.
- It takes 100% trust in Jesus to save you. If you ever have done this in your life, you’re saved.
- If not, you need to do it right now.
- Change your mind and understand that’s it ONLY Jesus who can save you.
- You can’t save yourself. No works you do will ever save you. If you think so, change your mind right now and understand it’s ALL JESUS or nothing.
- Once you believe on Him, you receive the Holy Spirit.
The spirit and the body you are born with is temporary.
- If you aren’t saved and never become saved, the spirit eventually leaves your body.
- Where would it go? It would go back to where it came from.
- If you’re saved, your spirit is eternal.
- Your spirit and soul will NEVER be separated because you are alive forevermore.
 1 Corinthians 6:19-20 What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own? 20 For ye are bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body, and in your spirit, which are God’s.
- If you’re saved, your body and your spirit belongs to God now.
- He bought you with a price.
- The Holy Spirit dwells inside of you.
What Happened To The Spirit, Soul, and Body of Jesus Christ When He Died On The Cross?
Think about when Jesus died on the cross.
- We know that His soul went to hell when He died on the cross.
- His soul went to hell because he took all of our sins with Him.
- The Bible clearly tells us that the soul of Jesus went to Hell.
 Psalm 16:10 For thou wilt not leave my soul in hell; neither wilt thou suffer thine Holy One to see corruption.
 Acts 2:27 Because thou wilt not leave my soul in hell, neither wilt thou suffer thine Holy One to see corruption.
- Jesus Christ has a soul, spirit, and body. The soul of Jesus went to hell.
- Where did His body go? His body laid in the tomb for 3 days.
- His body did not see corruption because Jesus arose from the dead in 3 days.
- So His soul went to hell, His body went to the Tomb. Where did the Spirit of Jesus go?
 Luke 23:46 And when Jesus had cried with a loud voice, he said, Father, into thy hands I commend my spirit: and having said thus, he gave up the ghost.
- The Spirit of Jesus went up. He gave up the ghost. He died. His Spirit left His body.
- Jesus says, “Father, into THY HANDS I commend my Spirit.” He says, “Hey, Father, I am giving my Spirit to you.”
- So where did the Spirit of Jesus go when He died on the cross? Straight up to the Father in heaven.
- The Spirit of Jesus is in heaven. The body of Jesus is in the tomb. The soul of Jesus is in hell.
- Do you see this? This is VERY important.
- All spirits return to the Father in heaven when they leave the body.
- The spirits of unsaved people will return to the Father in heaven.
 Ecclesiastes 3:21 Who knoweth the spirit of man that goeth upward, and the spirit of the beast that goeth downward to the earth?
- So look, this verse says that the spirit of man goeth upward and doesn’t return to the earth.
- The spirit or life in an animal doesn’t go to heaven.
- How do I know this? Because the Bible says so right here. Your pets aren’t going to heaven.
- The life of pets leaves them and they return to the earth. That’s it. End of story.
- God breathed life into the nostrils of man and man BECAME a LIVING soul.
- God did not do this for animals. They are not living SOULS. They have life. They have brains.
- But that life ends and the spirit that gave them life returns to the earth. Not to God.
Life of man is special compared to animals, trees, and other living things.
- This is why it’s important to focus on people and not animals.
- We can take care of our animals but put effort into getting people SAVED.
- For man, though, all life, all spirits return to the Father.
- For an evil man in this world that never believes on Jesus Christ, their life ends and that spirit returns to the Father.
- For that same evil man, his body is in a grave or returning to the dust from which it came.
- His soul is in hell. He’s dead. The spirit or life is gone. It has been returned to God.
- Will you see that person in heaven? Oh no, you will not. That person is dead.
- The dead don’t go to heaven. They are dead and no longer have life.
- The spirit has left the body and the soul.
If you have received eternal life before you die, guess what happens?
- Your soul (who is your true identity) will go unto eternal life.
- Your spirit will not be separated from your soul. Your soul and spirit will live on forever.
- Your body will stay in the tomb for now, but your life does not end.
- Your spirit does not leave your soul. You are alive forevermore.
The Unsaved Lose Their Spirit And Their Life Because They Are Dead
Unsaved people lose their spirit and their life.
- Their soul goes to hell which lasts forever. It’s eternal misery.
- What do those unsaved and dead souls have to look forward to?
- There’s only one thing coming up for them.
- The unsaved bodies will be resurrected one day and joined to the soul (WITHOUT THE SPIRIT this makes them dead).
- Those dead people will have no life within them.
- They will be judged at the Great White Throne judgement.
- And guess what happens at that judgement?
- They will be thrown into the lake of fire which is the second death.
 Revelation 20:12 And I saw the dead, small and great, stand before God; and the books were opened: and another book was opened, which is the book of life: and the dead were judged out of those things which were written in the books, according to their works.
- Notice it says, the dead. They are standing before God. They have no life in them. No spirit.
- Their spirit is gone. They are then judged by their works. This is not a good thing.
- You don’t want to be judged by your works. All of us are bad. Being judged by your works is BAD NEWS.
- They are already dead and the second death is the lake of fire.
- So, no spirit means dead. If you have eternal life, you will keep the spirit and live forever.
- The spirit is life. So I now hope you understand what the spirit is. The spirit is life.
- The spirit animates your body. A dead body has no spirit.
Now, let’s talk about your soul.
- Remember, God breathed life into the nostrils of man.
- That’s how we became living souls. Through God’s breath.
 Genesis 2:7 And the LORD God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul.
- The soul is the part of man that makes us who we are.
- This is the part of us that thinks, acts, makes decisions
- The soul has the conscience, which is the HUGE part of the soul. Our soul guides us.
- To learn more about the soul and what it does, think about animals. Animals aren’t living souls.
- But they do have a spirit, which is life and they have a body with a brain.
- But they do not have a soul. You can’t have a conversation with an animal.
Animals Are Not Living Souls, But They Are Alive
An animal doesn’t plan the day out with you. An animal has instincts that God put within them.
- A dog only acts on instincts as it doesn’t have morals and emotions like we do.
- They have pain because they do have a brain that sends those signals.
- But they don’t feel bad for something they do.
- They don’t know what’s right and wrong as it’s not built into them.
When you get saved, what is saved?
- Is it your soul, spirit, or your body? Your soul is saved when you believe on Jesus Christ.
- Your soul or the part of you that is able to think causes you to understand that you aren’t good and that you need to be saved.
- Your soul realizes you need a SAVIOR! An animal can’t think like this.
- Your soul believed on the Lord Jesus Christ and that’s how you’re saved.
- That’s why salvation is through faith alone.
Works are of the flesh and the flesh can’t save you. Soul winning is saving souls.
- When you go soul winning, you aren’t trying to get people to do good works, to change their ways, to get baptized, to repent of sin.
- You’re simply trying to get them to believe on the Lord Jesus Christ. That’s what saves the soul.
- Go from unbelief to belief. It’s a change of mind and that’s repentance. Change your mind and believe.
- Your soul is THE MOST IMPORTANT thing to save.
 Matthew 16:26 For what is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul? or what shall a man give in exchange for his soul?
- Your soul NEVER goes away. It’s going to hell without a spirit because it’s dead.
- OR it’s going to heaven with a spirit because it’s alive.
- Can a dead soul remember, think, feel, see, and thirst? I’ve had this wrong before.
- That’s why we have to look to the Bible for the truth. What’s a dead soul in hell like?
Do you remember the rich man that was sent to hell in Luke Chapter 16? What was he like?
- He lifted up his eyes being in torments. He saw Abraham afar off and Lazarus with Abraham.
- That man cried out to Abraham and asked for mercy.
- He wanted Lazarus to cool his tongue because he was tormented in the flame. He spoke with Abraham.
- He remembered his five brothers and he didn’t want them coming to hell because it hurt so bad.
- So look, that dead soul was able to remember and speak with Abraham.
- He worried about his brothers. He had memories. Your soul is WHO YOU ARE! It’s eternal.
- It’s eternally dead or eternally alive. Your soul isn’t going away.
You could say that YOUR SOUL is the one between your body and your spirit.
- Our sinful body has life but we can choose tp do good or evil.
- Your soul makes the decisions on whether your living body is going to do good or bad.
- If you have a spirit and body, you can do good or bad. Our soul is connected to our bodies too.
 Luke 22:44 And being in an agony he prayed more earnestly: and his sweat was as it were great drops of blood falling down to the ground.
- The body of Jesus was so connected with his soul that he sweat drops of blood.
- The soul of Jesus was in agony and very, very sorrowful. The same story in the Gospel of Luke says this:
 Matthew 26:38 Then saith he unto them, My soul is exceeding sorrowful, even unto death: tarry ye here, and watch with me.
- That distress was in HIS SOUL. It affected HIS BODY that much. All of it was known in HIS SOUL.
- What about another example of things affecting your soul? Do you remember Lot who lived in Sodom?
- Lot didn’t take part in the wicked deeds of those people. He didn’t participate.
- But guess what? He saw their wicked and nasty deeds. Did that affect him? Oh yes, it did.
 2 Peter 2:7-8 And delivered just Lot, vexed with the filthy conversation of the wicked: 8 (For that righteous man dwelling among them, in seeing and hearing, vexed his righteous soul from day to day with their unlawful deeds;)
- So Lot was a righteous man who wasn’t participating in their nasty and wicked deeds in that city.
- But he saw and heard what they were doing. He didn’t do it himself.
- But it vexed his soul, it affected his soul, it agitated him, it troubled him.
- His soul was affected by their nastiness. In other words, get away from that kind of trash.
- I’ve worked in that kind of trash before, and I got so sick of hearing nasty, sick, and vile conversation.
- I HATED going into work at a place like that. I couldn’t get away from it.
- God helped me to get away from that nasty place. He knew that I hated it there.
- Don’t harm your soul and vex your soul.
 Matthew 5:27-28 Ye have heard that it was said by them of old time, Thou shalt not commit adultery: 28 But I say unto you, That whosoever looketh on a woman to lust after her hath committed adultery with her already in his heart.
- Things that we don’t physically do still affects us very negatively.
- Actually taking the action is a much greater sin but a bad thought still is very negative to our souls.
- Do you see this now? I hope this is making sense. It’s not just our body that’s here.
- It’s very important to understand we have a body, soul, and spirit.
Your Saved Soul Will Fight Against Your Body/Flesh
Your soul will fight against your body and your body or flesh will fight against your soul.
- An example of this is Jesus Christ in the Garden of Gethsemane.
- He was in temptation. He was praying to the Father.
 Mark 14:36 And he said, Abba, Father, all things are possible unto thee; take away this cup from me: nevertheless not what I will, but what thou wilt.
- Why was Jesus Christ in temptation during this time?
- His perfect and holy body didn’t want to take on all of those nasty and wicked sins.
- But He stayed obedient to the Father through that temptation.
He said, “Father, is there ANY other way? If anyone can find another way, it would be you Father!!!”
- He is perfect and knew no sin YET He was going to take all of it. That’s not easy right there.
- Think of you having to take on all of these nasty and vile sins that someone else committed.
- Think of the worst things you can think of and you’re taking them onto yourself.
- That’s going to hurt, and you’re going to want to get away from those things.
- But Jesus, He kept going because He did what His Father asked Him to do.
If you remove the spirit from man, what happens?
- The life is gone. You’re dead. You gave up the ghost.
If you remove the soul from man, what happens?
- Let’s say the spirit is still there and the body is still there. But now the soul is removed.
- What do you think that would be like? You’d be like an animal.
- An animal doesn’t have a soul but has the body and spirit.
- It’s a living creature but doesn’t have morals and doesn’t care either.
- There are humans that are like animals that could care less about anyone else.
- The Bible talks about these reprobates or rejected people.
- These are the rejects or children of the devil.
 2 Peter 2:12 But these, as natural brute beasts, made to be taken and destroyed, speak evil of the things that they understand not; and shall utterly perish in their own corruption;
 Jude 10 But these speak evil of those things which they know not: but what they know naturally, as brute beasts, in those things they corrupt themselves.
- These people are like brute beasts who are made to be taken and destroyed.
- The word brute means without conscience. They’re like animals.
- Do you see this? They’ve lost their soul. They have a soul, but it’s gone.
- Their soul will rot in hell for all of eternity. They are sick, nasty, and vile.
- You can’t reason with those people.
- That’s a picture of someone who doesn’t have a soul or their soul has been handed over to the devil.
- They’re soul is not stopping them from doing horrible things ANY MORE.
- They should be put to death because of the HORRIBLE things they do.
- The government should put them to death because they have no soul.
Animals truly are sickening and nasty. Watch what they do. Don’t ignore it.
- Some people don’t want to hear this about precious dogs and cats but they’re animals for a reason.
- Dogs will eat anything including their own dung. That’s nasty. Then they’ll come lick you in the face.
- You see: Me? I would feel bad if I just ate my own dung and then I went and gave Pam a kiss.
- The dogs sure don’t care. The cats sure don’t care. They don’t have a soul with a conscience.
Animals Do Filthy Things
And don’t think it’s only dogs today. That’s the point here.
- There’s some nasty, nasty, nasty people out there that are just like dogs.
- They are like animals who have no soul.
- Let’s say your little puppy was so hungry and you were passed out half dead on the floor.
- That dog doesn’t care about you. If it was hungry, it would start eating you.
Do you understand that? That dog is following its instincts.
- That dog is hungry and you’re food. It would eat you. That’s what animals do.
- People will say things like: “My dog would NEVER hurt anyone or bite anyone.”
- Well, guess what? That’s a lie. That dog would do what it needs to do according to its instincts.
- Family dogs will kill a small baby like it’s a toy. That dog has no idea what it’s doing.
- It’s an animal with no conscience. Don’t trust a dog, okay? It’s not a living soul. It has no morals.
- It will turn on you in a heartbeat. You don’t know what it’s thinking. You might think you do.
- But you don’t. You don’t what it’s feeling. It could be in pain and suddenly attack you for no reason.
- There are people like this out there. Their soul is there but the flesh has taken over.
- Same thing with animals. They are following their flesh because they have no soul.
Watch out for those people. Just like a dog they might be nice and kind to your face.
- But behind your back they are looking to destroy you. They are like animals.
- Animals have no conscience. They don’t care about you at all.
 1 Timothy 4:2 Speaking lies in hypocrisy; having their conscience seared with a hot iron;
- The Bible speaks of people who have no conscience any more.
- These types of people are multiplying fast out in this world.
- These people might murder many people and it doesn’t bother them.
- Those Catholic priests who molest children, it doesn’t bother them.
Remember, that your body and your works do not save you.
- Your works that are done through your body cannot save you.
- Your belief that is done through your soul SAVES your soul.
 Hebrews 9:13-14 For if the blood of bulls and of goats, and the ashes of an heifer sprinkling the unclean, sanctifieth to the purifying of the flesh: 14 How much more shall the blood of Christ, who through the eternal Spirit offered himself without spot to God, purge your conscience from dead works to serve the living God?
- Our soul gets saved through our belief on Jesus Christ. Serve the living God through faith.
- Faith establishes the law. Your works are dead works until you have the foundation WHO is Jesus Christ!
What Happens When Your Body Dies?
If you’re saved and the BODY is removed, what’s going to happen?
- Your body dies, but your soul is saved. Your spirit and soul goes to heaven to be with the Lord.
- The Bible gives us this EXACT answer in 2 Corinthians Chapter 5.
 2 Corinthians 5:8 We are confident, I say, and willing rather to be absent from the body, and to be present with the Lord.
What do we learn from all of this? What’s so important about this?
- The world is obsessed with their bodies. I mean BIG TIME.
- You’ll find WAY MORE people in gyms than you’ll find in Churches that believe on Jesus Christ.
- I was like that in the past too. Guilty.
You won’t even find that many Churches that believe in the true Gospel of Jesus Christ.
- But you’ll find gyms full, diet companies making billions, and so on.
- People love themselves. They love their bodies.
- So, look, YOUR BODY is very important because the Holy Spirit is living there.
- So take care of your body.
- Eat what God gave you to eat and not fake food that man makes in some food plant.
- Fast food will make you sick and give you health problems 100% without a doubt.
- Just like smoking will turn your lungs black; fast food will make you sick and lead to an earlier death.
- Treat your body well.
- But also remember that YOUR BODY is the WORST part of you and is temporary ONLY.
 1 Timothy 4:8 For bodily exercise profiteth little: but godliness is profitable unto all things, having promise of the life that now is, and of that which is to come.
- That’s why this verse says bodily exercise profits little.
- It’s saying the body is NOT as important as GODLINESS and as reading the word of God.
- Improving your soul is FAR BETTER and profits you MUCH more because your soul is eternal
- Do you see that? Do you know what that verse also doesn’t say?
- It doesn’t say to NOT exercise. You should exercise. You should stay active. God made us to be active.
- It doesn’t say that bodily exercise DOESN’T profit. It says it PROFITS little.
- So, yes, it profits BUT not as much as staying in the word of God each day.
The world focuses on their body. It’s ALWAYS about image now in this world.
- Have you seen people who take pictures of themselves constantly?
- They use camera filters to make themselves look better and they don’t even look close to the picture.
- It’s amazing stuff.
 “According to Google statistics, about 93 million selfies were taken per day as far back as 2014, and on Android devices alone. One poll found that every third photo taken by those aged 18 to 24 is a selfie.”
We are fleshly people. We are carnal people.
- Understand today that your soul is what you need to work on THE MOST.
- Most churches just want BODIES in the church to fulfill their fleshly desire of making themselves happy and making their offering numbers happy.
- They want to build new buildings. They want to create an empire for themselves.
- They want a mega church. Hey, look what we’re doing! Look at us!
- Any people that they can fill in the seats with, they will take.
- They will not make anyone mad because it’s all about BODIES in the seats. That’s it. All that matters.
Soul Winning = Winning “SOULS” And Not Bodies
Soul winning churches are trying to win SOULS to Christ.
- Soul winning churches don’t care about BODIES. They care about SOULS.
- Do you see the difference? Carnal people want to fulfill the desires of the flesh.
- They will compromise and NEVER teach the truth.
- They sell their souls to get what they want for their fleshly desires.
- Spirit-filled people want to fulfill God’s commandments and that includes SOUL WINNING.
You want souls in your Church that are saved. This is what makes a Church powerful.
- Hey guess what?
- We don’t have many people here, but we have more SAVED SOULS that many MEGA CHURCHES.
- Do you understand that? God knows the truth. He sees.
- God is with us, and we will continue to work for Him.
- Yes, we want more SAVED souls here! We want as many as we can get.
Do you have the Holy Spirit today? If you’re saved, you have the Holy Spirit.
- The Holy Spirit is eternal. Your soul is saved. So right now, your Spirit and your Soul is saved.
- But your body isn’t.
- Your body is going to die and pass away unless you’re raptured AFTER THE TRIBULATION.
- If you die before that, your body will one day be eternal when the Rapture takes place.
- But right now, your body is not eternal.
- One day, though, you’ll be in your eternal body that will live forever.
- You won’t sin any more in your body once you receive that NEW BODY on the DAY OF REDEMPTION.
- What a day that will be! I cannot wait for that day.
Use The Word Of God To Walk In The Spirit
Final point of the entire sermon today:
- Use the word of God to divide your body from your soul and spirit.
- Ignore the fleshly desires by using the word of God.
- Separate yourselves to the word of God and not to the world and body.
- Accept the promises of God in His words. Use it, accept it, increase your faith.
Take care of your body so you can win more souls to Christ in your lifetime.
- That’s the reason you take care of your body, exercise, and eat well. Don’t obsess over your body.
- Get your body out of the way and DO NOT let your body control your spirit and affect it each day.
- Go to the word of God. Let the SHARP word of God separate your body from your soul and spirit.
- Walk in the Spirit and not the flesh. I hope that TRULY means something more to you now.
- I hope this was helpful to you today.