- Sermon Slides for Sermon Proverbs Chapter 6: Slides
- Printable PDF for Sermon Proverbs Chapter 6: PDF
- Audio MP3 for Sermon Proverbs Chapter 6: Audio
- Video MP4 for Sermon Proverbs Chapter 6: Video
 The title of the sermon today is “PROVERBS CHAPTER 6.”
If Thou Be Surety For Thy Friend
- Let’s continue our detailed Bible study of the book of Proverbs.
- Let’s start there in verse 1 of Proverbs Chapter 6.
 Proverbs 6:1-3 My son, if thou be surety for thy friend, if thou hast stricken thy hand with a stranger, 2 Thou art snared with the words of thy mouth, thou art taken with the words of thy mouth. 3 Do this now, my son, and deliver thyself, when thou art come into the hand of thy friend; go, humble thyself, and make sure thy friend.
- “My son, if thou be surety for thy friend, if thou hast stricken thy hand with a stranger.”
- Striking thy hand with a stranger is like shaking hands on a deal.
- A bank loan is an example of this right here. Your friend can’t get a loan. Getting a loan is going into debt.
So you are going to sign for the loan and be the SURETY for your friend.
- And you end up shaking hands or striking hands with the stranger at the bank.
- You’re saying, “I am going to pay this loan if my friend does not pay it.”
- You are ensuring that the loan will be paid.
- If you do these things, what does the Bible say there in verse 2?
- “Thou art snared with the words of thy mouth, thou are taken with the words of thy mouth.”
- You’re trapped because of your mouth.
Are you now going to pay this loan that you promised to pay when your friend won’t pay it?
- Yes, you will pay what you promised. You aren’t getting out of paying that loan.
- Verse 3 says, “Do this now, my son, and deliver thyself.”
- “When thou are come into the hand of thy friend.” Your friend got you.
- They didn’t keep their end of the deal. Now it’s your turn to deliver yourself.
“Go, humble thyself, and make sure they friend.” Go pay that loan just like you promised.
- Don’t try to get out of it. The words out of your mouth trapped you. Now go pay it.
- And the bank loan is just one example. It can be anything else that you promise to pay for your friend.
- If you promised it, you need to make good on your promise.
- And this doesn’t just go for your friend. It goes for you alone too.
- If you take out a loan and promise to pay it, then you need to pay it.
- And to make sure what I’m telling you is the truth, watch the next 2 verses.
 Proverbs 6:4-5 Give not sleep to thine eyes, nor slumber to thine eyelids. 5 Deliver thyself as a roe from the hand of the hunter, and as a bird from the hand of the fowler.
- Don’t sleep or slumber until you’ve paid off that promise that you made. Make it a surety.
- Make it good. Fulfill the promise you made and don’t sleep until you’ve done that.
- Then, you’ll deliver yourself from the hand of a hunter and a fowler. This is what God says.
- But, to begin with, don’t put yourself in that situation.
- Stop making promises for your friends. You are trapping yourself.
- A good friend won’t ask you to make a surety for them. I won’t ask you for that.
- I won’t ask you to go into debt for me. Understand that right now.
 Proverbs 17:18 A man void of understanding striketh hands, and becometh surety in the presence of his friend.
- Don’t shake hands over a deal. Don’t become surety for your friends.
- If you do, you are a man void of understanding.
- And understand that this is not the same as giving to your friends when they are in need.
- You don’t go into debt by making promises for your friends.
- You’ll owe all of their debt as well as your own. Don’t be void of understanding.
 Proverbs 22:26-27 Be not thou one of them that strike hands, or of them that are sureties for debts. 27 If thou hast nothing to pay, why should he take away thy bed from under thee?
- If you’re already in debt, how are you going to help your friend?
- If you can’t pay for something, then why are you striking hands and saying that you will?
- Don’t be sureties for debts that someone else owes. Pay your own debts first.
- Don’t be taking on more for others when you can’t pay your own debts.
If you’re in debt, you have nothing because you owe somebody else.
- If you’re in debt, how are you going to be surety for your friend?
- You’re just going to get yourself in trouble. BE NOT THOU ONE OF THEM THAT STRIKE HANDS.
- OR OF THEM THAT ARE SURETIES FOR DEBTS. Do you hear that? That’s wisdom from God.
 Proverbs 6:6-8 Go to the ant, thou sluggard; consider her ways, and be wise: 7 Which having no guide, overseer, or ruler, 8 Provideth her meat in the summer, and gathereth her food in the harvest.
- If you’re lazy, you need to go watch the ant work. They don’t stop working. They work hard.
- SLUGGARD or lazy bum, consider the ways of the ant and be wise.
- In other words, the ant is very wise because she works hard. And the ants work together too.
- The ant doesn’t have a guide, an overseer, or ruler but yet keeps working.
- You shouldn’t need to have someone telling you everything you need to do.
- Use your brain and figure it out yourself. When you don’t know what to do, figure it out.
- God didn’t make us to be sluggards YET there are many, many sluggards out there today.
 Hebrews 6:10-11 For God is not unrighteous to forget your work and labour of love, which ye have shewed toward his name, in that ye have ministered to the saints, and do minister. 11 And we desire that every one of you do shew the same diligence to the full assurance of hope unto the end:
 Hebrews 6:12 That ye be not slothful, but followers of them who through faith and patience inherit the promises.
- Work hard. God will not forget your work and labor of love for Him. Help each other.
- BE NOT SLOTHFUL. BE NOT LAZY. Don’t be a sluggard. Work hard in faith for God.
- Be patient but keep working hard for God. He will not forget.
 Proverbs 6:9-11 How long wilt thou sleep, O sluggard? when wilt thou arise out of thy sleep? 10 Yet a little sleep, a little slumber, a little folding of the hands to sleep: 11 So shall thy poverty come as one that travelleth, and thy want as an armed man.
- Stop sleeping SLUGGARD. When are you going to wake up and do some work for God?
- We’ll just sleep a little longer. We’ll just slumber a little longer. We’ll fold our hands, relax, and fall asleep.
- When we’re sluggards, POVERTY will come upon us. If you find yourself being a sluggard, DON’T.
- Get up and do something. If not, you’ll begin to want things that other people have.
- You might even turn to stealing things from others like an armed man.
- You might end up homeless and have to travel around everywhere begging for money.
Put Some Hard Work Into It
Why is that? BECAUSE YOU’RE A SLUGGARD. You don’t want to put some work into anything.
- “I’ll just let everyone else do everything for me. I could pick this up and move it. I could clean this up.”
- “Nah, I’ll just let someone else do it for me. They’ll take care of me.”
- Poverty will come upon you, and you don’t want that. Good things will not result.
- So, if you’re a sluggard, how much longer are you going to sleep? GET UP. Do something.
- “I got my stimulus check so I’m not going to be working for a while.”
- “We need more stimulus checks so I don’t have to work anymore.” That’s the attitude of a sluggard.
Do you know what else this is talking about? This is talking about studying God’s word for yourself.
- If you can’t pickup your Bible and put some studying into God’s word, you’re a sluggard.
- If you just want to go to church and let everyone else study the Bible for you, you’re a sluggard.
- “Well, I’ll just listen to what the preacher says and that will be good enough for the week.”
- These are the people who are deceived by the false preachers and false churches.
- Watch what this next Scripture says.
 1 Thessalonians 5:1-3 But of the times and the seasons, brethren, ye have no need that I write unto you. 2 For yourselves know perfectly that the day of the Lord so cometh as a thief in the night. 3 For when they shall say, Peace and safety; then sudden destruction cometh upon them, as travail upon a woman with child; and they shall not escape.
 1 Thessalonians 5:4-6 But ye, brethren, are not in darkness, that that day should overtake you as a thief. 5 Ye are all the children of light, and the children of the day: we are not of the night, nor of darkness. 6 Therefore let us not sleep, as do others; but let us watch and be sober.
- Don’t be a lazy bum churchgoer who doesn’t know the Bible at all. Don’t sleep through life.
- Don’t sleep through church. Don’t sleep through each week and never read the word of God.
- If you never read or study the word of God on your own, you will be in darkness.
- You won’t know when the world is telling you lies. You aren’t of darkness so get to work.
STUDY GOD’S WORD. Don’t be a sluggard. “Therefore let us not sleep as do others.” NOT SLEEP.
- “But let us watch and be sober.” Sober doesn’t mean you have a box pills to take each day.
- Sober doesn’t mean you’re taking pills and drinking alcohol all the time.
- Being sober doesn’t mean you’re smoking cigarettes and marijuana.
- I went to church for many years, and I was sleeping for all those years.
- Didn’t learn anything from God’s word. The churches put me to sleep.
- You shouldn’t be asleep with this church. We know the Gospel. We know exactly how to be saved.
- We know that the Holy Spirit will teach us all things. We trust God in all things.
- We aren’t asleep here. We are watching what is happening, and we are sober.
 1 Thessalonians 5:7-8 For they that sleep sleep in the night; and they that be drunken are drunken in the night. 8 But let us, who are of the day, be sober, putting on the breastplate of faith and love; and for an helmet, the hope of salvation.
- When it’s day time, it’s time to work. It’s night time, it’s time to rest.
- Sluggards begin to get the days and the nights mixed up because they never do anything.
- Drunkards get drunk at night when they should be sleeping. Day comes and they’re too tired to work.
- We don’t want to be like that. Don’t fall asleep on God’s words. LISTEN AND HEAR THEM.
- Take action when you hear them. You’ll know what to do now.
 Proverbs 6:12 A naughty person, a wicked man, walketh with a froward mouth.
- Do you know what a froward mouth is? A froward mouth is one that goes against the truth.
- “I will not do what God says.” That’s a froward mouth. “I don’t want to hear what God says.”
- A froward mouth speaketh lies. A false preacher is one with a froward mouth.
- Joel Osteen is a wicked man because he lies about God and His words.
- He tells people that God owes them when there’s no doubt that we owe God more than we can pay.
- God will never owe us. He gave us life to begin with, and we can’t pay that back.
A false gospel that teaches you must be baptized to be saved is also one that teaches you can lose everlasting life.
- This false gospel teaches that you can gain salvation through works and lose salvation through works.
- This is a lie and one who speaks those things, such as Kyle Idleman, has a froward mouth.
- And watch what the Bible teaches us about the froward mouth.
 Proverbs 4:24 Put away from thee a froward mouth, and perverse lips put far from thee.
- We get away from a froward mouth. We don’t want a froward mouth for ourselves.
- And we definitely don’t want to take in lies from a forward mouth.
- PUT THOSE PERVERSE LIPS FAR FROM THEE.
 Proverbs 8:13 The fear of the LORD is to hate evil: pride, and arrogancy, and the evil way, and the froward mouth, do I hate.
- God HATES a froward mouth. When a false preacher speaks lies about God, guaranteed God hates it.
- A froward mouth is evil and wicked. But they’ll sound good to you in your flesh.
- That’s why the false preachers are so popular. Everyone loves those false preachers.
- If God Almighty owes you, that must feel pretty good. The almighty God owes me? That’s nice.
- “When is He going to pay me back?” Oh, don’t worry, He’ll pay you back one day for all your sin.
- Why? Because you haven’t trusted Him. And your froward mouth speaks lies against God.
 Psalm 52:2-4 Thy tongue deviseth mischiefs; like a sharp rasor, working deceitfully. 3 Thou lovest evil more than good; and lying rather than to speak righteousness. Selah. 4 Thou lovest all devouring words, O thou deceitful tongue.
- The false preachers love their lying lips. They claim to represent God and then lie about God.
 Proverbs 12:22 Lying lips are abomination to the LORD: but they that deal truly are his delight.
 Psalm 59:6-7 They return at evening: they make a noise like a dog, and go round about the city. 7 Behold, they belch out with their mouth: swords are in their lips: for who, say they, doth hear?
 Psalm 73:7-9 Their eyes stand out with fatness: they have more than heart could wish. 8 They are corrupt, and speak wickedly concerning oppression: they speak loftily. 9 They set their mouth against the heavens, and their tongue walketh through the earth.
- We cannot support lying lips. We cannot support false preachers who say things against God’s word.
- For example, “God loves everyone no matter what. We’re all God’s children.” That’s a froward mouth.
- God hates people and throws them into hell. The Bible says so. And His hate is righteous hate.
- He hates those people that He rejects because they’re evil and wicked.
- They won’t change their mind. They won’t ever submit to God in their life.
- They go against God every second of their life. They hate THE ONE who gave them life.
- So they get what they deserve, and they will be cast into everlasting fire. He doesn’t love those people.
- But the lying false preacher will never tell you that. They tell you the opposite of what God says.
- They say, “God doesn’t hate anyone. God doesn’t reject anyone.”
 Leviticus 20:23 And ye shall not walk in the manners of the nation, which I cast out before you: for they committed all these things, and therefore I abhorred them.
- God greatly hated those people right there. I ABHORRED THEM. That’s what God says.
- There’s many Scriptures that tell us God hates.
 Psalm 11:5 The LORD trieth the righteous: but the wicked and him that loveth violence his soul hateth.
- God’s soul HATES the wicked and those that love violence. It’s that simple.
- God doesn’t love everyone all the time no matter what. A froward mouth speaks things like that.
- Southeast Christian Church speaks things like that. FROWARD MOUTHS.
- They speak against the true God and for their false god that they’ve created who doesn’t hate anyone.
- They will also say that God doesn’t reject anyone EVER.
 Jeremiah 6:29-30 The bellows are burned, the lead is consumed of the fire; the founder melteth in vain: for the wicked are not plucked away. 30 Reprobate silver shall men call them, because the LORD hath rejected them.
 2 Kings 17:19-20 Also Judah kept not the commandments of the LORD their God, but walked in the statutes of Israel which they made. 20 And the LORD rejected all the seed of Israel, and afflicted them, and delivered them into the hand of spoilers, until he had cast them out of his sight.
- It’s very easy to see the truth from God compared to the froward mouths of these lying false preachers.
- “The Lord hath rejected them. And the Lord rejected them.” But the forward mouth says:
- “Oh no, God doesn’t reject anyone or hate anyone.” Guess what?
- GOD HIMSELF, the true God, says that He does. So they call God Almighty a liar.
- That’s what they’re doing in the churches today.
And those aren’t the only Scriptures. The doctrine that God hates and rejects is all throughout the Bible.
- And it’s very, very clear. God loved Jacob and hated Esau. Simple. Clear. Easy to understand.
- So, we need to put the lying lips far away from us. Don’t take in the lying words.
- Instead, trust God and His words. When God says that He hates, don’t make Him a liar.
- Don’t go, “Oh no, my god would never hate anyone or anything.” Really?
- If you say anything close to that, you’ve made up your very own false god.
- You just lied about God Almighty, and that’s the definition of a froward mouth.
- God hates the froward mouth. God hates lying lips. Especially when they lie about Him.
 Proverbs 6:12-14 A naughty person, a wicked man, walketh with a froward mouth. 13 He winketh with his eyes, he speaketh with his feet, he teacheth with his fingers; 14 Frowardness is in his heart, he deviseth mischief continually; he soweth discord.
- False preachers don’t want you saying anything about their lies when they preach.
- If you question them about lies they are preaching, they will get angry with you.
- If they preach that you can lose everlasting life, they hate when you show them you can’t.
- It actually doesn’t make any sense. I can lose everlasting life? Really?
- Jesus says that I can’t, but you, false preacher, say that I can lose everlasting life.
- So, who do you think is lying? Jesus or the false preacher?
False Preachers Will Accuse You Of Sowing Discord
If you stand up and say something to a false preacher, they will accuse you of sowing discord.
- But the Bible says right there that the forward mouth SOWETH DISCORD. And what is discord?
- Discord is disagreement. Truth doesn’t lead to discord. The liar is the one creating discord.
- You can’t lose everlasting life. Once you believe ON Jesus Christ, you have everlasting life.
- You cannot lose salvation because God says so. But a false preacher will accuse you of sowing discord.
- No, they are the ones who are sowing the discord and starting the argument. The truth is in God’s word.
 Proverbs 16:28 A froward man soweth strife: and a whisperer separateth chief friends.
- Strife is sown by froward men in false religions. They teach lies over the years.
- People listen to their lies and start to believe that their lies are the truth. Don’t let those lies separate us.
- We always must go to the word of God for the truth. Froward men sow strife and create discord.
- We don’t need that discord. We need the truth through the word of God in all things.
- When we use the word of God to find the truth, we won’t have discord.
- Let’s see what happens to those men who have sown discord through his forward mouth.
 Proverbs 6:15 Therefore shall his calamity come suddenly; suddenly shall he be broken without remedy.
- Most of the false preachers are doing great in this life. LIFE IS GOOD FOR THEM.
- But hold on, their calamity will come suddenly. They shall be broken without remedy.
- Their doctor won’t be fixing them. Medicine won’t cure them. They are finished. Broken without remedy.
- That should scare these froward men who preach lies about God.
- Broken without remedy are some of the worst words you could ever hear?
- “Sorry, there’s nothing else that can be done. You are broken and there is no remedy.”
 Proverbs 1:24-26 Because I have called, and ye refused; I have stretched out my hand, and no man regarded; 25 But ye have set at nought all my counsel, and would none of my reproof: 26 I also will laugh at your calamity; I will mock when your fear cometh;
 Proverbs 1:27-28 When your fear cometh as desolation, and your destruction cometh as a whirlwind; when distress and anguish cometh upon you. 28 Then shall they call upon me, but I will not answer; they shall seek me early, but they shall not find me:
- The calamity comes suddenly like a whirlwind. That’s scary for these froward mouths.
- I wouldn’t want to be Kyle Idleman who preaches lies to 30,000+ people every week.
- I don’t want to be Joel Osteen or Paula White or Kenneth Copeland or Benny Hinn or Joyce Meyer.
- Destruction is coming for them as a whirlwind. SUDDEN DESTRUCTION. They lie about God.
- And God is coming for them. It’s going to be quick. There will be no remedy.
 Isaiah 30:13 Therefore this iniquity shall be to you as a breach ready to fall, swelling out in a high wall, whose breaking cometh suddenly at an instant.
- Their breaking will come suddenly AT AN INSTANT.
- They won’t know what hit them because God will do this.
 1 Thessalonians 5:3 For when they shall say, Peace and safety; then sudden destruction cometh upon them, as travail upon a woman with child; and they shall not escape.
- A woman with child doesn’t know when that pain is coming. But it comes quickly. TRAVAIL.
- Sudden destruction in an instant, and there will be no remedy for these lying lips.
 Proverbs 6:16-19 These six things doth the LORD hate: yea, seven are an abomination unto him: 17 A proud look, a lying tongue, and hands that shed innocent blood, 18 An heart that deviseth wicked imaginations, feet that be swift in running to mischief, 19 A false witness that speaketh lies, and he that soweth discord among brethren.
- So many false preachers tell us that God doesn’t hate anything.
- And it’s very ironic because I would take a guess that God hates those preachers saying those things.
- What does God hate? What things are abominable to God? We learn those here.
- Let’s slow down and make sure we see these today.
A proud look. That should scare you about being prideful about anything. “Well look at me.”
- “Look how great I am. Look how great my children are. Look at my great family. I am a proud man.”
- “Look at the size of my church. Look at all the people who come to see me preach. I am proud.”
- God hates a proud look. People lift their nose in the air. “Look at my Mercedes. Look at my Audi.”
- “You don’t have one of those, do you? My house is bigger than yours. Look at my suit.”
- “My clothes cost more than yours. Ha, ha. How much did your shoes cost? Mine are so much better.”
- “Look at my wife. She’s better than your wife. Look at my husband. He’s amazing. Your stinks.”
- Go take a walk in the churches of today and see what you find there. Have you not seen?
What’s the second thing God hates there? A lying tongue. And what do you find in the churches today?
- The preachers lead the way with their lying tongues. They teach lies about God.
- They teach that God loves the man-made country of Israel today, which is a lie.
- They are the center of false religion with Judaism.
- They will teach dispensationalism and a false pre-tribulation rapture. All lies.
- The lying false preachers are leading the way in the churches. God hates a lying tongue.
The third thing is HANDS THAT SHED INNOCENT BLOOD.
- False preachers are shedding the blood of the innocent who are looking for God.
- These people are trying to find the truth, and they feed them lies from their nasty mouths.
- They spew out lies and the innocent person falls for those lies because they don’t have God’s word.
- They are receiving lies from this man or woman who is trying to shed their blood. God hates this.
The fourth is a heart that deviseth wicked imaginations. God hates this.
- An example is the Abraham’s bosom doctrine. People believe this lie. It’s not in the Bible.
- The pre-tribulation rapture is devised from a wicked imagination.
- It sets people up to receive the antichrist as Jesus. Yes, it’s a lie from a wicked imagination.
- These same people will tell you that the soul of Jesus didn’t go to hell. But God says that He did.
- CLEARLY TOO. Very clearly. But the wicked imaginations will create some fairy tale about this.
- God hates when people create fairy tales and act like He says these things in the Bible.
The fifth listed there is feet that be swift in running to mischief. You don’t want to be one of those people.
- Some people love to run towards the evil doing. “Oh, they’re rioting in downtown Louisville?”
- “I want to go be a part of that. Oh, the neighbor is smoking crack. I want to go do that.”
- Evil and wicked people love to do evil and wicked things. They don’t hesitate. They join right in.
- God hates these people. He doesn’t just hate their feet. Their feet are a part of them. He hates them.
- The false preachers can’t just ignore all of the Scripture in the Bible about God hating.
- They’ll try to ignore these words and create false doctrine, but they won’t ever DELETE God’s word.
The sixth thing listed here is a false witness that speaketh lies.
- The false preacher does this constantly. He or she speaks lies against God.
- Some people will give false witness so they don’t get punished.
- Or they lie for a friend or a family member. Lies don’t do anyone any good at all.
- NEVER BE A FALSE WITNESS. Always tell the truth. If not, remember that God just might hate you.
- And you don’t want any of that. You don’t want to meet God’s fury.
God Hates When You Sow Discord Among The Brethren
The seventh and final thing that God hates here is the man that soweth discord among the brethren.
- Discord comes from the froward mouth. Discord comes from lies about God and His words.
- God hates this man that does these things. We cannot go by the traditions of men and churches.
- We cannot go by traditions of religions. If we do, there will be discord.
- That’s why there are so many denominations. That’s called discord. They all have their own way.
- We will use God’s word and His way here at this church. We will not sow discord here.
- God greatly hates this. It is an abomination to Him. We must rely on God’s word to settle all things.
- Why? Because His words are settled in heaven.
 Psalm 119:89 For ever, O LORD, thy word is settled in heaven.
- If His words are settled in heaven, they are settled here. We won’t be changing them.
- We won’t be relying on traditions of the past. We’re going to use His words to guide us.
 Proverbs 6:20-22 My son, keep thy father’s commandment, and forsake not the law of thy mother: 21 Bind them continually upon thine heart, and tie them about thy neck. 22 When thou goest, it shall lead thee; when thou sleepest, it shall keep thee; and when thou awakest, it shall talk with thee.
- The Book of Proverbs gives us these commandments over and over again.
- Keep thy father’s commandment and forsake not the law of thy mother.
- This is talking about Godly laws from your father and mother.
- Sometimes your father and mother will give you rules that you need to follow.
- For example, “You aren’t going out at night all alone.”
- They make these rules for a reason. Bind these commandments upon thine heart.
A good father and mother will be teaching God’s commandments and reasons for those commandments.
- Allow God’s commandments to lead you and keep you. Allow these commandments to talk with you.
- You’ll remember these commandments when some evil person is trying to talk you into something.
- These commandments will come to mind and prevent you from doing something stupid.
- “Oh, it’s okay, just have a drink of this alcohol. Everyone loves it. It makes you feel good. Just try it.”
- And then you’ll remember the commandment in Proverbs Chapter 23 to not even look at it.
- It will sting you and bite you like a serpent. God speaks the truth. Remember these commandments.
- Allow these commandments to lead you and light your path. Stay on God’s path.
 Proverbs 6:23 For the commandment is a lamp; and the law is light; and reproofs of instruction are the way of life:
- God’s words are commandments. His commandments are just like a lamp. And His law is the light.
- And can you ignore His commandments and His law? Yes, you can. And what happens?
- The lamp is gone. The light is gone. You’re going to stumble. You’re going to fall off the right path.
- You’re going to have issues with God because you aren’t doing what He says to do.
- Remember, His commandments are a lamp and His law is light. You need those in life.
But pay close attention to the second part of verse 23 there: “Reproofs of instruction are the way of life.”
- Reproofs are blame from doing wrong. In other words, “Son, you messed up. Don’t do that again.”
- “Son, do you see why you shouldn’t do that again.” Reproofs of instruction are the way of life.
- We’re all going to mess up. We’re all going to do things the wrong way.
- And we can learn from these mistakes by accepting reproofs of instruction or not.
- A foolish man will not accept reproving and rebuking for doing something wrong.
 Proverbs 5:11-13 And thou mourn at the last, when thy flesh and thy body are consumed, 12 And say, How have I hated instruction, and my heart despised reproof; 13 And have not obeyed the voice of my teachers, nor inclined mine ear to them that instructed me!
- You don’t want to be like that. You want to accept the truth. And the truth is in God’s word.
- Do not hate true instruction, and do not allow your heart to despise reproof.
 Proverbs 15:31 The ear that heareth the reproof of life abideth among the wise.
- Children need instruction. We are God’s children once we believe on Jesus Christ.
- And we need the reproof of lie. We need to hear what God teaches us.
- We need to know when we’re wrong, and God will let us know. We need to be wise.
 Proverbs 29:15 The rod and reproof give wisdom: but a child left to himself bringeth his mother to shame.
- God will not leave His children without correction and reproof.
- You can see what happens to a child that is left alone by his or her parents.
- That child will bring his or her mother to shame. Why? Because the child never learns right and wrong.
- God gives us His words. They are available to everyone so no one has an excuse.
- The children in this world have access to Bibles now. There is no excuse.
- Everyone can read God’s words and follow them or not.
So, why is it important for the young man to listen to God’s commandments and laws?
- The very next verse in Proverbs Chapter 6 tells us why the young man needs to follow God’s law.
- We learn just one of the very important reasons for this.
 Proverbs 6:24 To keep thee from the evil woman, from the flattery of the tongue of a strange woman.
- If a young man follows God’s commandments, God’s law will keep that young man from the evil woman.
- The young man will understand that the evil woman uses her tongue to flatter and to trap.
- An evil woman will attempt to entice men to evil. The Bible teaches us this over and over again.
 Proverbs 6:25-26 Lust not after her beauty in thine heart; neither let her take thee with her eyelids. 26 For by means of a whorish woman a man is brought to a piece of bread: and the adulteress will hunt for the precious life.
- That’s a commandment from God Almighty. DO NOT LUST AFTER HER BEAUTY IN THINE HEART.
- This can be difficult for men. Women are attractive to men. Men love women for their beauty.
- God made women just for men. The weakness of many men are other women.
- Samson had women issues. Solomon clearly had issues with women. 700 wives and 300 concubines.
- And Solomon allowed those evil women to take him away from God. And he wrote this.
Evil Women Will Take You
DO NOT LET THE EVIL WOMAN TAKE YOU WITH HER EYELIDS.
- If you allow a whorish woman to do this to you, ANY MAN will be brought to a piece of bread.
- The adulteress will hunt for the precious life. There are evil women who hunt for married men.
- Solomon says, “My son, WATCH OUT for these evil women. Don’t fall into their traps.”
 1 Samuel 2:36 And it shall come to pass, that every one that is left in thine house shall come and crouch to him for a piece of silver and a morsel of bread, and shall say, Put me, I pray thee, into one of the priests’ offices, that I may eat a piece of bread.
- These evil women will come and destroy your life, take everything you have, and leave you with nothing.
- You’ll be left begging for a piece of bread. The whorish woman will destroy you.
- If men would simply listen to the word of God and trust Him, there wouldn’t be so many destroyed men in this world today.
- You should not go to a strip club to find your future wife. You should not go after whores.
- They simply want to destroy you. God warns men over and over again within the Bible.
- They want to take everything you have and leave you laying there with nothing.
 Proverbs 6:27-29 Can a man take fire in his bosom, and his clothes not be burned? 28 Can one go upon hot coals, and his feet not be burned? 29 So he that goeth in to his neighbour’s wife; whosoever toucheth her shall not be innocent.
- Do not lust after your neighbor’s wife. Do not touch her. Do not look at her. She isn’t yours.
- Whosoever toucher her shall NOT be innocent. This is God speaking. You won’t be innocent.
- This is like taking fire right here at your chest. This is like walking upon hot coals.
- You will be burned. You will not be innocent from this evil and wicked act. “It’s not okay,” God says.
- And it’s especially not okay for God’s people to do things like this.
- Don’t even look at her and don’t even think about it.
 Genesis 12:17-19 And the LORD plagued Pharaoh and his house with great plagues because of Sarai Abram’s wife. 18 And Pharaoh called Abram, and said, What is this that thou hast done unto me? why didst thou not tell me that she was thy wife? 19 Why saidst thou, She is my sister? so I might have taken her to me to wife: now therefore behold thy wife, take her, and go thy way.
- Men need to be more like Pharaoh right there. “Oh, she is your wife. Take her and get her out of here.”
- TAKE HER AND GO THY WAY. God is serious about men taking the wives of other men.
- We need to be teaching this and learning this because the world doesn’t care anymore.
- Churches don’t care anymore. Everything is allowed now in this world. BUT GOD DOESN’T ALLOW IT.
- Man does. God doesn’t. And it is a very serious sin. But no one teaches this anymore.
- And when churches won’t teach this, we have a very big problem.
 Leviticus 20:10 And the man that committeth adultery with another man’s wife, even he that committeth adultery with his neighbour’s wife, the adulterer and the adulteress shall surely be put to death.
- If this government followed God’s law, this law would be in effect today.
- And then people wouldn’t take it so lightly. God shows us how serious this sin is right there.
- He didn’t cancel this law anywhere in the Bible.
- Jesus didn’t cancel the law with the woman taken in adultery. Jesus didn’t fulfill this law.
- It’s still active with God today, and He’s very serious about this.
 2 Samuel 12:9-10 Wherefore hast thou despised the commandment of the LORD, to do evil in his sight? thou hast killed Uriah the Hittite with the sword, and hast taken his wife to be thy wife, and hast slain him with the sword of the children of Ammon. 10 Now therefore the sword shall never depart from thine house; because thou hast despised me, and hast taken the wife of Uriah the Hittite to be thy wife.
- This is God speaking through the prophet Nathan to King David.
- David committed adultery and had Uriah murdered. David took Uriah’s wife from him.
- God says, “Because of this, the sword shall never depart from your house, David.”
- And notice what else God says right there: “BECAUSE THOU HAS DESPISED ME.”
When you know the truth in God’s word, and you go against Him anyway, God says you despise Him.
- And you don’t want to despise the ONE who gave you life. HE GAVE YOU LIFE.
- You are only here right now because of Him. You don’t want to despise God.
- In other words, stay away from strange women. Those women are not your women.
- YOUR WIFE IS YOUR WOMAN who God gave you. Be happy with her. Stay away from other women.
- If you want to ignore this, you will be punished by God and it won’t be a light punishment.
 Proverbs 6:30-31 Men do not despise a thief, if he steal to satisfy his soul when he is hungry; 31 But if he be found, he shall restore sevenfold; he shall give all the substance of his house.
- If someone is stealing so that he can eat, GOD SAYS to not despise that man. Do not hate that man.
- That is, IF he’s stealing because he simply needs some food to eat.
- Some thieves will lie and deceive you into thinking they did something because they’re poor and hungry.
- IF THAT THIEF IS REALLY STARVING and steals to eat, do not despise that man.
- Does that mean that it’s okay to steal if you’re hungry? NO, that’s not what this says AT ALL.
Don’t stop reading at verse 30. We MUST continue reading in verse 31 right there.
- But, if he be found or caught stealing, just forgive him and forget about it? Is that what the Bible says?
- No, the thief will be held responsible when he is caught stealing even if he’s going hungry.
- The thief shall restore sevenfold.
- If he must give all the substance of his house, that’s the payment for this crime. SEVENFOLD.
- It’s not okay to steal even when you’re dying of starvation. Don’t despise that man but he will pay.
- This is a commandment of God and the law of God. HE SHALL RESTORE SEVENFOLD.
- If our government followed this law, the world would be a much better place. Think about that.
“Oh, you were caught and immediately convicted of grand theft auto? Well, the penalty isn’t prison.”
- Does God ever say that the penalty for stealing is prison? “20 years in prison for grand theft auto.”
- No, what does God teach us in the Bible about stealing? The penalty is not prison.
- That’s what’s wrong with our country today. Prison isn’t the penalty for crimes in the Bible.
- You stole a car? You can pay that person back 7 cars. You don’t have 7 cars? You don’t have the money?
- Then you owe that person everything you have. ALL THE SUBSTANCE OF YOUR HOUSE. Everything.
 Exodus 22:1 If a man shall steal an ox, or a sheep, and kill it, or sell it; he shall restore five oxen for an ox, and four sheep for a sheep.
- God doesn’t command that thief be sent to jail or prison. This penalty God gives is perfect.
- He shall restore five oxen for one ox. He shall restore four sheep for one sheep.
- This will take care of the problem and the person you stole from won’t mind it much anymore.
- BUT THE THIEF WILL BE HURT OF THIS. They are stealing because it was very important to them.
- And now they’ll owe so much more to the person they stole from. Do you see how this works?
- No prison. No allowing taxpayers to feed this thief in prison while he does nothing to earn the meal.
- God’s way is always the better way. HIS LAW IS PERFECT.
 Exodus 22:2 If a thief be found breaking up, and be smitten that he die, there shall no blood be shed for him.
- If the thief gets killed while breaking in somewhere, too bad for the thief. NO BLOOD SHED FOR HIM.
- The man who kills the thief in the act of braking in is not responsible for the blood of that man.
- Thieves are not protected in God’s law. But they have plenty of protection in this country.
- That’s why they still exist here in this country. That’s why there’s so many of them today.
- They can steal millions of dollars, go to prison for some time, and keep the millions they stole.
- But not according to God’s word and His law. Listen to the very next verse in Exodus Chapter 22.
 Exodus 22:3 If the sun be risen upon him, there shall be blood shed for him; for he should make full restitution; if he have nothing, then he shall be sold for his theft.
- A thief should make full restitution or payment for what he took. If he can’t pay, what happens?
- This is the definition of slavery in the Bible and it’s not based on race at all.
- The thief is sold HIMSELF as payment for what he is stealing because he can’t make the full payment.
- In other words, if you steal an ox and kill that ox, you better have five oxen to pay back your theft.
- If you can’t make that payment, you will be sold into slavery because of your theft.
- You will become a possession of some other man because you’re a thief. Do you see this?
 Exodus 22:4 If the theft be certainly found in his hand alive, whether it be ox, or ass, or sheep; he shall restore double.
- If the thief is found with the ox alive, the thief will pay double. Do you see how this works?
- No prison. Repay according to God’s law. The theft would stop and be at a minimum.
- But not in today’s world. You can steal today and they won’t even put you in jail because there’s no room.
- The penalties for breaking the law in today’s world are being reduced to nothing.
- What should happen is we should restore God’s law and things would get better. But we won’t.
- If I were King of a country, I would implement God’s law and His penalties immediately. His law is perfect.
 Luke 19:7-9 And when they saw it, they all murmured, saying, That he was gone to be guest with a man that is a sinner. 8 And Zacchaeus stood, and said unto the Lord; Behold, Lord, the half of my goods I give to the poor; and if I have taken any thing from any man by false accusation, I restore him fourfold. 9 And Jesus said unto him, This day is salvation come to this house, forsomuch as he also is a son of Abraham.
- Zacchaeus says that he will repay FOURFOLD if he has taken anything from any man.
- He is submitting to the law of the Lord and offering repayment.
- I hope this makes more sense to you. With God’s law, immediate payment is made for breaking His law.
- If you commit a crime worthy of death, then the payment is your life. You receive death.
- And what would this do if we followed God’s law? CRIME would go way down.
 Proverbs 6:32-33 But whoso committeth adultery with a woman lacketh understanding: he that doeth it destroyeth his own soul. 33 A wound and dishonour shall he get; and his reproach shall not be wiped away.
- I hope you see how Proverbs Chapter 6 is relating adultery to stealing another man’s wife.
- Whosoever commits adultery lacketh understanding. They aren’t understanding what they are doing.
- You are destroying your own soul. Why would you want to do that? You’re vexing your own soul.
- A wound and dishonour is what the adulterer receives. His reproach shall not be wiped away.
- Notice that what the end of that verse does not say. It does not say HIS SIN will never be wiped away.
- If that were true, King David wouldn’t have went to heave but he did.
His Reproach Shall Not Be Wiped Away
The Bible says, “His REPROACH shall not be wiped away.” Reproach is shame. It doesn’t say sin.
- His shame shall not be wiped away. You are getting a lasting wound and dishonor.
- The shame that comes with committing adultery will stay with you and will not go away.
- And you don’t want that at all. Just like Lot vexed his righteous soul by living among wicked people.
- You don’t want to destroy your VERY OWN soul by committing adultery. Do not lack understanding.
This is why we need the words of the Bible within us. If we have understanding of this, we won’t do it.
- God can forgive most any sin including adultery and this is obvious because of King David.
- The only unforgiveable sin is blasphemy against the Holy Ghost.
- And unbelief in and on Jesus Christ your entire life will not be forgiven once you’re dead.
- Jesus can and will forgive the sin of adultery or stealing another man’s wife.
 Proverbs 6:34-35 For jealousy is the rage of a man: therefore he will not spare in the day of vengeance. 35 He will not regard any ransom; neither will he rest content, though thou givest many gifts.
- This is why a man should not commit adultery against another man’s wife. Why?
- That man who stole the other man’s wife will be jealous and this jealousy is the RAGE OF A MAN.
- When the day of vengeance comes, that man will not spare in that day.
- God is teaching us about HIMSELF too. He is a jealous God.
That man will not regard any ransom for taking his wife. You can’t repay him with 5 wives.
- You can’t give him gifts to satisfy him. You took his wife, and it’s not okay and you can’t repay him.
- No amount of gifts is he going to satisfied with. In other words, just don’t do it.
- Or, you can be looking over your shoulder the rest of your life waiting for that man to come for you.
- And then you went against God’s commandment. His penalty for adultery is death.
- So you better ask God forgiveness as David did and hope He forgives you for what you’ve done.
- He will punish you, and He may spare your life as well. But just don’t do it.
- Don’t even think about doing it. THEN, you’ll have understanding.
- This completes Proverbs Chapter 6, and I hope you’ve learned many things from this chapter.