The title of the sermon today is “Romans Chapter 9.”
The Book Of Romans Teaches Faith Alone For Salvation
- I want to remind you how we finished up Romans Chapter 8.
- Let’s take a look at the last two verses in Romans Chapter 8 before we start in Romans 9.
 Romans 8:38-39 For I am persuaded, that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor powers, nor things present, nor things to come, 39 Nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, shall be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.
- In other words, JESUS CHRIST gives you everlasting life once you BELIEVE ON HIM ALONE to save you.
- The entire Book of Romans teaches us that it’s FAITH ALONE that saves us.
- Once we believe on Jesus, we’re saved. OUR SOUL IS SAVED and going to heaven.
- And once we’re saved, there’s nothing that can separate us from the LOVE OF GOD.
- That doesn’t mean our flesh is saved. Obviously, it’s not saved. It’s still dying.
- But nothing will separate your LIFE from GOD now. You HAVE everlasting life.
- With that said, let’s move into verse 1 and 2 of Romans Chapter 9.
 Romans 9:1-2 I say the truth in Christ, I lie not, my conscience also bearing me witness in the Holy Ghost, 2 That I have great heaviness and continual sorrow in my heart.
- Paul is saying, “Hey, I’m telling you the truth. I’m not lying to you. My witness is the HOLY GHOST.”
- “My witness is GOD.” Paul says this often through the letters he writes to the churches.
 2 Corinthians 11:31 The God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, which is blessed for evermore, knoweth that I lie not.
 Galatians 1:20 Now the things which I write unto you, behold, before God, I lie not.
- Why is Paul starting out like this in Romans Chapter 9?
- He’s about to tell us something we might not believe. He says, “I have great HEAVINESS.”
- “I have continual sorrow in my heart.”
- And remember what Paul just told us at the end of Romans Chapter 8.
- There’s nothing that can separate us from the love of God. So why is Paul so upset?
- Well, let’s see in the next verse. And we should feel the same as Paul.
 Romans 9:3 For I could wish that myself were accursed from Christ for my brethren, my kinsmen according to the flesh:
- Paul has family that he calls BRETHREN. Remember, we have a FLESHLY FAMILY and a SPIRITUAL FAMILY.
- And Paul tells us who he’s talking about right there at the end of that verse.
- He’s clearly talking about HIS FLESHLY family. His “KINSMEN” he calls it or his kinfolk as we might call it.
- Paul is saying: “If it were possible, I wish that I could be accursed for my physical family.”
- “I wish that I could go to hell so my family could go to heaven.”
Let’s be truthful today. Would you go to hell so your family could be saved?
- That’s a tough question right there. If you understand hell, you don’t want to go there.
- But remember Paul just told us that God is HIS WITNESS that he isn’t lying to us.
- He would really go to hell so his physical family could go to heaven.
- JESUS DID THAT. He died and went to hell. Think. Would you do the same?
- That’s not an easy decision. But we need to become more and more like Jesus.
- Paul was there. Guess who else said and would have done the same in the Bible?
Would You Go To Hell So Your Family Could Be Saved?
There’s another example of this in Exodus Chapter 32.
- When you hear Exodus Chapter 32, this should immediately remind you of that story.
- I’ll do a quick recap of that story from Exodus Chapter 32.
- Here’s what we see right at the end of Exodus Chapter 31.
 Exodus 31:18 And he gave unto Moses, when he had made an end of communing with him upon mount Sinai, two tables of testimony, tables of stone, written with the finger of God.
- So God just gave Moses these TWO TABLES OF TESTIMONY written with the finger of God HIMSELF.
- That’s the last verse in Exodus Chapter 31. Let’s move to Exodus 32 verse 1.
 Exodus 32:1 And when the people saw that Moses delayed to come down out of the mount, the people gathered themselves together unto Aaron, and said unto him, Up, make us gods, which shall go before us; for as for this Moses, the man that brought us up out of the land of Egypt, we wot not what is become of him.
- The CHILDREN OF ISRAEL, who had seen the miracles from God with their own eyes, tells Aaron the brother of Moses to make them new gods.
- “Hey Aaron, your brother MOSES is taking too long for us!!! Go make us new gods. We don’t need God.”
- “We don’t want to be like MOSES. He might have saved us out of Egypt, but he’s taking too long.”
- So Aaron makes them a golden calf and they start worshipping this false god.
- Let’s see what God thinks about that.
 Exodus 32:9-10 And the LORD said unto Moses, I have seen this people, and, behold, it is a stiffnecked people: 10 Now therefore let me alone, that my wrath may wax hot against them, and that I may consume them: and I will make of thee a great nation.
- God tells Moses, “Hey, GET OUT OF MY WAY. My wrath is going to CONSUME THEM who are now worshipping a false god.”
- God says, “Moses, I don’t need them. I will make of YOU a great nation.”
- God can start over whenever He wants. He has eternity to start a new nation.
- Now remember, these people are the PHYSICAL FAMILY of Moses. He knows them. He loves them.
- They are his family members. God was going to utterly destroy every single one of them.
Please Remember Your People
Moses tells God to please remember your people.
- Remember Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob as they were your servants.
- “God, you said that you would MULTIPLY their seed as the stars of heaven.” Moses pleaded for his family.
- Do you think that worked? Well, first you have to see if Moses obeyed God.
- He did. Moses obeyed God. And God listened to that plea from Moses. Please God, don’t destroy them.”
- Moses had respect with God. God knew Moses.
- If you don’t obey God, God says all throughout the Bible that he won’t hear your prayers.
- If you want God to listen to you, do what He says. Then He’ll hear and listen to you.
- And maybe, He’ll even change HIS direction because of what you’ve asked for.
 Exodus 32:14 And the LORD repented of the evil which he thought to do unto his people.
- It worked. But not without punishment. Watch what happens next.
- Moses goes down from the mountain. Joshua meets Moses.
- Joshua wasn’t a part of this false god worship. He thought there was war in the camp but it wasn’t war.
- They were singing and happy and worshipping their false god. Happens all the time around here.
- It happens in churches every Sunday morning, Saturday night, Wednesday night, Sunday night.
- Picture this. Moses comes down and sees all of this. And remember, Moses walked with God.
 Exodus 32:19-20 And it came to pass, as soon as he came nigh unto the camp, that he saw the calf, and the dancing: and Moses’ anger waxed hot, and he cast the tables out of his hands, and brake them beneath the mount. 20 And he took the calf which they had made, and burnt it in the fire, and ground it to powder, and strawed it upon the water, and made the children of Israel drink of it.
- MOSES got ANGRY. And understand that Moses was a very calm and meek person.
- But that made MOSES ANGRY like never before. HE threw the tables written by the hand of God.
- Do you think that was wrong for Moses to get angry? Oh no, that wasn’t a sin.
- That’s exactly what God does. Is that wrong? God got so angry that He was going to DESTROY them all.
- Moses burns the false god, grinds it to powder, puts in the water, and makes them drink it.
- But Moses wasn’t finished. He was just getting started. Picture this.
- Moses stands up at the GATE OF THE CAMP. And he yells out.
 Exodus 32:26 Then Moses stood in the gate of the camp, and said, Who is on the LORD’S side? let him come unto me. And all the sons of Levi gathered themselves together unto him.
- Hey, who is on the Lord’s side? If you’re on God’s side, come over here with me.
- We’re going to figure out who is with God and who isn’t. We’re going to find out right now.
- All the SONS OF LEVI stand up and they come over to Moses. “Hey Moses, we’re right here with you!!!”
- And watch what happens next because this is serious stuff that NO CHURCH teaches today.
 Exodus 32:27 And he said unto them, Thus saith the LORD God of Israel, Put every man his sword by his side, and go in and out from gate to gate throughout the camp, and slay every man his brother, and every man his companion, and every man his neighbour.
- And you might wonder why I’m so difficult sometimes with the preaching I do.
- False gods in false churches? God isn’t happy with that AT ALL.
- God tells them to “SLAY EVERY MAN HIS BROTHER, HIS FRIENDS, HIS NEIGHBOR.”
- Does that sound like something you would want to do? No way. That’s difficult.
 Exodus 32:28 And the children of Levi did according to the word of Moses: and there fell of the people that day about three thousand men.
- The children of Levi knew they better do what God says to do.
- So God didn’t destroy everyone but 3,000 lost their life that day. He spared the rest.
- Why? Because of Moses pleading for their life. God went easy on them because of Moses.
- Moses stood up for his people. And remember, Paul is wishing he could go to hell to save his family.
- Moses returns to God in Exodus Chapter 32 and speaks with HIM.
 Exodus 32:32 Yet now, if thou wilt forgive their sin—; and if not, blot me, I pray thee, out of thy book which thou hast written.
- Moses says, “God, please forgive their sin. And if you won’t, please send me to hell for them.”
- Moses stands up for them and was willing to go to hell for his family. He loved them that much.
- And Paul is saying the same thing in Romans Chapter 9.
 Romans 9:3-5 For I could wish that myself were accursed from Christ for my brethren, my kinsmen according to the flesh: 4 Who are Israelites; to whom pertaineth the adoption, and the glory, and the covenants, and the giving of the law, and the service of God, and the promises; 5 Whose are the fathers, and of whom as concerning the flesh Christ came, who is over all, God blessed for ever. Amen.
- Paul is saying those people are my family. God gave them glory. He gave them the law directly.
- He handed it directly to Moses. They performed the service of God.
- God gave all the promises through them. JESUS CHRIST was born of that flesh.
- Mary came from the line of King David. Mary came from the line of Nathan, who was King David’s son.
- Jesus is the LION FROM THE TRIBE OF JUDAH. That’s one of the 12 tribes of the children of Israel.
- Judah was one of the 12 sons of JACOB who is called Israel. Jesus FLESHLY came from that line.
 Romans 9:6-7 Not as though the word of God hath taken none effect. For they are not all Israel, which are of Israel: 7 Neither, because they are the seed of Abraham, are they all children: but, In Isaac shall thy seed be called.
- That SCRIPTURE right there is very important to understand.
- And I believe that all of you already understand this, but let’s take a closer look.
- The first part of that verse is simply telling us that THE WORD OF GOD accomplishes what it was intended to accomplish.
- The PHYSICAL SEED OF ISRAEL are not all saved, but the SPIRITUAL SEED of ISRAEL is saved.
- That’s the purpose of the word of God. Paul’s saying not all my physical seed is saved.
- BUT THE WORD OF GOD ACCOMPLISHES WHAT IS WAS SENT TO DO.
Physical Israel Does Not Equal Spiritual Israel
Notice that it says right there: “FOR THEY ARE NOT ALL ISRAEL, WHICH ARE OF ISRAEL.”
- Most EVERY preacher around here says that the man-made country of Israel are all saved.
- The Book of Romans says they are not all saved.
- No one is saved because they come from a specific line of people. It doesn’t work that way.
- It says right there in verse 6 and 7 that the TRUE ISRAEL is not the SEED OF ABRAHAM.
What does it say at the very end of verse 7, though?
- “BUT IN ISAAC SHALL THY SEED BE CALLED.” Well, that must mean something important.
- So, we look up that same phrase in the SCRIPTURE. We search the Scriptures.
 Genesis 21:12 And God said unto Abraham, Let it not be grievous in thy sight because of the lad, and because of thy bondwoman; in all that Sarah hath said unto thee, hearken unto her voice; for in Isaac shall thy seed be called.
- That verse is talking about when Sarah told Abraham to kick out Hagar and Ishmael.
- Sarah said, “Abraham, kick them out because Ishmael will not be heir with my son Isaac.”
- God said, “Abraham hearken unto Sarah. Let it not bother you.” Why?
- “FOR IN ISAAC SHALL THEY SEED BE CALLED.” What does that mean? The Book of Hebrews helps us out.
- Hebrews Chapter 11, which is known as THE FAITH CHAPTER. So that should tell you something.
 Hebrews 11:17-18 By faith Abraham, when he was tried, offered up Isaac: and he that had received the promises offered up his only begotten son, 18 Of whom it was said, That in Isaac shall thy seed be called:
- The SPIRITUAL SEED OF ABRAHAM are those who have faith.
- In other words, the TRUE ISRAEL are not the physical seed but the SPIRITUAL SEED.
- It’s those who HAVE THE SPIRIT OF GOD within them. That’s the TRUE ISRAEL.
 Romans 4:18 Who against hope believed in hope, that he might become the father of many nations; according to that which was spoken, So shall thy seed be.
- Once you understand this, the BIBLE becomes very easy to understand.
- The Book of Romans becomes very easy to understand.
- If you believe the man-made country of Israel is all saved, you don’t understand the Bible. You can’t.
- That’s a man-made FALSE teaching that the BIBLE does not ever teach.
- And, if you don’t believe that, I’ll show you what I’m saying is the truth. The BIBLE is the truth.
- All we have to do is continue in Romans Chapter 9. Next verse. Verse 8.
 Romans 9:8 That is, They which are the children of the flesh, these are not the children of God: but the children of the promise are counted for the seed.
- Again, the PHYSICAL SEED of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob are NOT the children of God.
- FLESH doesn’t inherit the kingdom of God. Just because you’re of Israel doesn’t mean you’re of ISRAEL.
- Do you see what that means now?
 1 Corinthians 15:50 Now this I say, brethren, that flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of God; neither doth corruption inherit incorruption.
- Romans 9:8 says that THE CHILDREN OF PROMISE ARE COUNTED FOR THE SEED.
- The Spiritual Seed of Abraham are all those who put their faith on Jesus Christ to save them.
- That’s the TRUE ISRAEL in the Bible. THE CHILDREN OF PROMISE ARE COUNTED FOR THE SEED.
- What does that mean? The children of promise are the SEED OF ABRAHAM?
 Romans 4:13 For the promise, that he should be the heir of the world, was not to Abraham, or to his seed, through the law, but through the righteousness of faith.
- So, look, the Bible becomes very easy to understand once you get it right.
- With false teaching, it’s not easy to understand. Verses will contradict each other.
- You’ll be confused. This isn’t confusing once you get it right.
- The physical children of Israel aren’t saved just because they physically come from ISRAEL or JACOB.
- Let’s continue in Romans Chapter 9 as it continues to explain this and reinforce all of this.
 Romans 9:9 For this is the word of promise, At this time will I come, and Sara shall have a son.
- Do you remember when God told Abraham that Sarah would have a son?
- It comes from Genesis Chapter 18 when Jesus HIMSELF visits Abraham in the tent.
- And it’s right after Jesus eats BEEF, a calf, with Abraham and the 2 other angels.
 Genesis 18:10 And he said, I will certainly return unto thee according to the time of life; and, lo, Sarah thy wife shall have a son. And Sarah heard it in the tent door, which was behind him.
- So, right there is THE PROMISE that Romans Chapter is talking about.
- The Lord tells Abraham that Sarah will have a son. Abraham believed the Lord.
- Abraham’s first son was with Hagar through adultery and his name was Ishmael.
- He was born through the flesh. Abraham and Sarah weren’t trusting in God.
Abraham And Sarah Were Going To Do It Themselves
- They were going to have a son themselves without God’s help. This is related to works based salvation.
- “Well, I’m just going to make it to heaven on my own. I’ll do the work and get there myself.”
- “I don’t need you God. I don’t need to trust in you alone.” That’s a works based salvation.
- Ishmael is a picture of that works based salvation.
- Isaac, though, is a picture of a faith based salvation.
 Romans 9:10 And not only this; but when Rebecca also had conceived by one, even by our father Isaac;
- Isaac was a child of promise through FAITH. And then who was Isaac’s wife? Rebecca.
- Isaac and Rebecca have twins and it wasn’t through adultery or through the flesh like Abraham.
- Esau and Jacob are born in that order. Esau is the oldest. Jacob the youngest.
- In other words, Esau has the BIRTHRIGHT from Isaac. So God is giving us another example.
 Romans 9:11-12 (For the children being not yet born, neither having done any good or evil, that the purpose of God according to election might stand, not of works, but of him that calleth;) 12 It was said unto her, The elder shall serve the younger.
- The children weren’t even born yet. They hadn’t done any good or evil yet the Bible says.
- Verse 11 says: “The purpose of God according to election might stand, not of works, but of him that calleth.”
- In other words, you don’t receive eternal life through your works but through calling upon GOD.
- Esau is a picture of someone who doesn’t call upon God. Jacob calls upon God.
- So, verse 12 says, “THE ELDER SHALL SERVE THE YOUNGER.” Why is that? Because Jacob is SAVED.
- Jacob inherits ETERNAL LIFE. People who depend on works will never be saved.
And notice, ESAU is the PHYSICAL SEED of Isaac. That means he is an Israelite.
- So, all the false preachers that say all the physical seed of ISRAEL are saved, what about Esau?
- Isaac and Rebecca’s children were JACOB and ESAU. Physically both came from the same parents.
 Romans 9:13 As it is written, Jacob have I loved, but Esau have I hated.
- This SCRIPTURE is literally talking about JACOB the person and ESAU the exact person.
- But it’s also a picture of the spiritual seed of both Jacob and Esau.
- It’s not talking about ALL of the physical seed of JACOB and ALL of the physical seed of ESAU.
- But God says that HE LOVES JACOB and HE HATES ESAU.
- What do you think that means? It’s very clear and it’s very easy to understand.
- JACOB represents the SAVED SPIRITUAL SEED and ESAU represents the UNSAVED.
- God doesn’t HATE the saved people. He hates the rejected people who HE sends to hell.
 Malachi 1:2-4 I have loved you, saith the LORD. Yet ye say, Wherein hast thou loved us? Was not Esau Jacob’s brother? saith the LORD: yet I loved Jacob, 3 And I hated Esau, and laid his mountains and his heritage waste for the dragons of the wilderness. 4 Whereas Edom saith, We are impoverished, but we will return and build the desolate places; thus saith the LORD of hosts, They shall build, but I will throw down; and they shall call them, The border of wickedness, and, The people against whom the LORD hath indignation for ever.
- God says HE HATES ESAU and HIS PEOPLE. It’s obviously not talking about ALL OF ESAU’S PHYSICAL SEED.
- Salvation is a choice for each and every person. Though, the Bible says the EDOMITES were wicked.
- God doesn’t automatically reject someone because they are the physical seed of ESAU.
- They all get a choice to be saved, and I would bet that someone from Esau’s physical seed is in heaven.
- But ESAU HIMSELF represents the unsaved, and that’s why God HATES HIM.
- God wouldn’t have chosen ESAU for this example if ESAU wasn’t in hell right now.
- When God says, “I HATED ESAU” right there in verse 3, you can KNOW 100% that GOD HATED ESAU.
- Some false preaching will say that God didn’t really hate Esau. That’s false. GOD HATED ESAU.
- How do you know? Because the Bible says so right there.
 Hebrews 12:16-17 Lest there be any fornicator, or profane person, as Esau, who for one morsel of meat sold his birthright. 17 For ye know how that afterward, when he would have inherited the blessing, he was rejected: for he found no place of repentance, though he sought it carefully with tears.
- God rejected Esau because HE gave Esau plenty of chances. Then HE rejected Esau.
- That means he can now never be saved and GOD HATES ESAU.
 Hosea 9:15 All their wickedness is in Gilgal: for there I hated them: for the wickedness of their doings I will drive them out of mine house, I will love them no more: all their princes are revolters.
- Do you see that? God doesn’t love everyone all the time. He is patient, but HIS PATIENCE has an end.
- And when God’s patience reaches an end, it’s over. He loves them no more.
- And you can know that He did everything He could to get those people to believe. And they wouldn’t.
Physical Israel Are Not Saved Unless They Believe On Jesus Christ
So remember, we’re talking about this because we’re studying Romans Chapter 9.
- This chapter is straight out telling you that the PHYSICAL CHILDREN OF ISRAEL aren’t saved UNLESS they believe on the LORD JESUS CHRIST.
- To explain this even more, let’s see some more Scripture.
- The Book of Galatians is written to people who started adding works to salvation. God hates that.
- Let’s go to Galatians Chapter 4 and see what it says.
 Galatians 4:21-23 Tell me, ye that desire to be under the law, do ye not hear the law? 22 For it is written, that Abraham had two sons, the one by a bondmaid, the other by a freewoman. 23 But he who was of the bondwoman was born after the flesh; but he of the freewoman was by promise.
- One son, Ishmael, was born by a bondmaid. He was born under bondage.
- The other son, Isaac, was born by a freewoman. Let’s keep reading.
- One was born AFTER the flesh. The other was born by PROMISE.
- Remember, Abraham tried to have a SON on his own by doing it his way.
- And then God gave Abraham a second son through a PROMISE.
 Galatians 4:24-25 Which things are an allegory: for these are the two covenants; the one from the mount Sinai, which gendereth to bondage, which is Agar. 25 For this Agar is mount Sinai in Arabia, and answereth to Jerusalem which now is, and is in bondage with her children.
- Ishmael and Isaac are pictures of TWO DIFFERENT COVENANTS.
- The first, ISHMAEL, is from Mount Sinai. What happened in Mount Sinai?
- THE LAW WAS GIVEN TO MOSES. Ishmael is a like figure to the LAW.
- He was born by a BONDWOMAN who wasn’t free. With the law, we aren’t free. Agar is HAGAR.
- Now, look, because VERSE 25 is amazing and answers so much false preaching around here.
- BOB ROGERS of Evangel World Prayer is one of the biggest false preachers around here.
- He can’t explain ANY of the Bible and ANY of these verses. He can’t get it right.
Verse 25 says that JERUSALEM which now IS and IS in bondage with her children.
- Why would it say that? The CURRENT Jerusalem in this world is just like ISHMAEL.
- They are in bondage because they believe that the LAW is going to save them.
- So, if Mount Sinai and the current Jerusalem represent the OLD COVENANT and bondage, who represents the NEW COVENANT and being saved by grace through FAITH?
 Galatians 4:26 But Jerusalem which is above is free, which is the mother of us all.
- The heavenly Jerusalem represents the FREE and the SAVED. If you’re saved, you aren’t under the bondage of the law any more.
- You understand that you can’t keep the whole law. You understand that you need JESUS to save you.
 Galatians 4:28 Now we, brethren, as Isaac was, are the children of promise.
- Do you see this today? It’s pretty obvious that the country of ISRAEL in majority isn’t SAVED.
- Ask the JEWS who practice JUDAISM there. They are ANTI-CHRIST. They hate JESUS CHRIST.
- They all adhere to a very great WORKS BASED SALVATION just like false preacher BOB ROGERS.
- Just like the Church of Christ. Just like the Oneness Pentecostals. Just like Simpsonville Baptist.
- Just like Shelby Christian. Just like Southeast Christian. Just like the Catholic Church.
- Ishmael. Esau. Cain. All represent a works based salvation. That’s most so-called CHRISTIAN religions.
 Galatians 4:29-31 But as then he that was born after the flesh persecuted him that was born after the Spirit, even so it is now. 30 Nevertheless what saith the scripture? Cast out the bondwoman and her son: for the son of the bondwoman shall not be heir with the son of the freewoman. 31 So then, brethren, we are not children of the bondwoman, but of the free.
- Do you see how the Bible is VERY, VERY clear? It’s simple and easy to understand. It all makes sense.
- All the evidence of the Bible being TRUE is there.
- BOB ROGERS is a liar. Everything he says contradicts and confuses people.
- So again, God loved JACOB and hated Esau. The Bible says so. Esau represents a false way.
- God hates false ways. Why would God hate false ways? Because they send people to hell.
False Ways Send People To Hell
 Romans 9:14 What shall we say then? Is there unrighteousness with God? God forbid.
- Is it wrong to HATE the false ways? It is wrong to HATE false preachers?
- God HATES them. Are we better than God? No, God tells us to HATE those ways and those people.
 Psalm 26:5 I have hated the congregation of evil doers; and will not sit with the wicked.
- And understand today that DECEIVED people can still be saved?
- But there are EVIL FALSE PREACHERS who continue to teach falsely that God has rejected.
- Those EVIL FALSE PREACHERS we are to HATE. They work for Satan.
- Whose an example of that? I’m just guessing but Joyce Meyer, Kenneth Copeland, Benny Hinn.
- Is God unrighteous because HE HATES the evil and wicked?
 Deuteronomy 32:4 He is the Rock, his work is perfect: for all his ways are judgment: a God of truth and without iniquity, just and right is he.
- That answers that. GOD IS PERFECT. HE IS TRUTH. JUST AND RIGHT IS HE!!!
 Romans 9:15 For he saith to Moses, I will have mercy on whom I will have mercy, and I will have compassion on whom I will have compassion.
- In other words, God will have mercy on those who believe what HE says.
- He will have compassion on those who believe what HE says.
- That verse in Romans 9:15 comes from Exodus 33:19.
 Exodus 33:19 And he said, I will make all my goodness pass before thee, and I will proclaim the name of the LORD before thee; and will be gracious to whom I will be gracious, and will shew mercy on whom I will shew mercy.
- God will do what HE SAYS HE WILL DO. Not what I say. Not what you say. He’s the BOSS.
 Romans 9:16 So then it is not of him that willeth, nor of him that runneth, but of God that sheweth mercy.
- God didn’t show mercy to Cain. Cain worked hard. God rejected Cain’s offering.
- You can WILL against God’s way as HARD as you want. “NOR OF HIM THAT RUNNETH.”
- You can run as hard as you want. GOD SHOWS MERCY WHEN PEOPLE DO IT HIS WAY.
- And hear this: God won’t treat me different than He treats you.
- I don’t get an exemption. You don’t get an exemption. Moses sure didn’t get an exemption.
- He never got to cross over to the promised land. “Go up into that mountain and die, Moses.”
 Deuteronomy 32:48-52 And the LORD spake unto Moses that selfsame day, saying, 49 Get thee up into this mountain Abarim, unto mount Nebo, which is in the land of Moab, that is over against Jericho; and behold the land of Canaan, which I give unto the children of Israel for a possession: 50 And die in the mount whither thou goest up, and be gathered unto thy people; as Aaron thy brother died in mount Hor, and was gathered unto his people: 51 Because ye trespassed against me among the children of Israel at the waters of Meribah-Kadesh, in the wilderness of Zin; because ye sanctified me not in the midst of the children of Israel. 52 Yet thou shalt see the land before thee; but thou shalt not go thither unto the land which I give the children of Israel.
- God is not a respecter of persons. He treats us all equal.
 Romans 2:11 For there is no respect of persons with God.
- Don’t think God is going to give you special treatment because you’re so special.
- He didn’t give Moses special treatment.
 Romans 9:17-18 For the scripture saith unto Pharaoh, Even for this same purpose have I raised thee up, that I might shew my power in thee, and that my name might be declared throughout all the earth. 18 Therefore hath he mercy on whom he will have mercy, and whom he will he hardeneth.
- God hardened Pharaoh’s heart. But do you remember what happened?
- Pharaoh had many chances. GOD DIDN’T FORCE PHARAOH on all those decisions.
- You can know that God was 100% fair to Pharaoh.
 Exodus 8:15 But when Pharaoh saw that there was respite, he hardened his heart, and hearkened not unto them; as the LORD had said.
 Exodus 8:32 And Pharaoh hardened his heart at this time also, neither would he let the people go.
 Exodus 9:34 And when Pharaoh saw that the rain and the hail and the thunders were ceased, he sinned yet more, and hardened his heart, he and his servants.
- Yes, God hardened Pharaoh’s heart but he was right there rejecting God HIMSELF the entire time.
- When you want to give people who practice a false religion the truth, they might harden up too.
- “I’m not listening to this!” Oh, so you don’t want to hear what the Bible says.
- You’re going to end up just like Pharaoh. He didn’t want to hear it either.
Don’t Harden Your Neck And Be Stiffnecked
 2 Kings 17:14 Notwithstanding they would not hear, but hardened their necks, like to the neck of their fathers, that did not believe in the LORD their God.
- So, look, you don’t want to have a stiff neck. You don’t want to have a hardened heart.
- Don’t let it get to that point. Don’t continue in a false church. It will get tougher. The heart will harden.
- Let’s say JESUS was living here on Earth and had a home. And he allowed you to live in HIS home.
- He goes to CHURCH at a real church, right? He goes every time the doors are open.
- But you go to a FALSE CHURCH with a FALSE GOSPEL. Do you think that would be okay with Jesus?
- Do you think Jesus would say, “Hey, it’s okay if you go to Satan’s church.”
- “I’ll still give you a place to live and forgive you every time you go.”
- Does that sound like the JESUS in this Bible? OH NO IT DOESN’T. Just think what God sees.
 Romans 9:19 Thou wilt say then unto me, Why doth he yet find fault? For who hath resisted his will?
- When you resist the WILL OF GOD, He will respond.
- If you want to reject HIM, I can’t even imagine what He’s going to do to you.
 Proverbs 1:24-27 Because I have called, and ye refused; I have stretched out my hand, and no man regarded; 25 But ye have set at nought all my counsel, and would none of my reproof: 26 I also will laugh at your calamity; I will mock when your fear cometh; 27 When your fear cometh as desolation, and your destruction cometh as a whirlwind; when distress and anguish cometh upon you.
- This is GOD ALMIGHTY we’re talking about. He says, “HEY, YOU WANT TO RESIST MY WILL?”
- “You don’t want the greatest GIFT in existence? It’s FREE. Just believe what I say.”
 Romans 9:20 Nay but, O man, who art thou that repliest against God? Shall the thing formed say to him that formed it, Why hast thou made me thus?
- Are you going to reply AGAINST God? Are you going to speak against GOD?
 Romans 9:21 Hath not the potter power over the clay, of the same lump to make one vessel unto honour, and another unto dishonour?
- God is the POTTER. You are the clay. He can do whatever He wants with you.
- If you believe, He HONORS you. If you won’t believe, He DISHONORS you.
 Romans 9:22-24 What if God, willing to shew his wrath, and to make his power known, endured with much longsuffering the vessels of wrath fitted to destruction: 23 And that he might make known the riches of his glory on the vessels of mercy, which he had afore prepared unto glory, 24 Even us, whom he hath called, not of the Jews only, but also of the Gentiles?
- Right there it says that GOD has endured US with MUCH longsuffering.
- Our fleshly bodies are vessels of wrath fitted to destruction!!! He can destroy us easily.
- But we don’t have to find God’s wrath. He prepared us for GLORY.
- He calls us. The HOLY SPIRIT works in this world to bring people to GOD to be saved.
- He brought me. He brought you. He calls everyone and wants everyone to be saved.
 Romans 9:25 As he saith also in Osee, I will call them my people, which were not my people; and her beloved, which was not beloved.
- OSEE right there actually means HOSEA in the Old Testament. Here’s that verse.
 Hosea 2:23 And I will sow her unto me in the earth; and I will have mercy upon her that had not obtained mercy; and I will say to them which were not my people, Thou art my people; and they shall say, Thou art my God.
- This is clearly talking about the GENTILES who were not God’s people.
- The children of Israel were God’s chosen people.
- And God tells them they will be HIS CHOSEN people “IF” they keep HIS COVENANT.
 Exodus 19:5-6 Now therefore, if ye will obey my voice indeed, and keep my covenant, then ye shall be a peculiar treasure unto me above all people: for all the earth is mine: 6 And ye shall be unto me a kingdom of priests, and an holy nation. These are the words which thou shalt speak unto the children of Israel.
- Notice it says “IF” you obey my voice and keep my covenant.
- Well, the CHILDREN OF ISRAEL broke the covenant in every way possible.
- In God’s plan, the GENTILES who were not HIS PEOPLE have now become God’s people.
- How? Through FAITH on Jesus Christ.
The Physical Children Of Abraham Are Not All God’s Children
 Romans 9:26 And it shall come to pass, that in the place where it was said unto them, Ye are not my people; there shall they be called the children of the living God.
- This entire Chapter is teaching us that the PHYSICAL CHILDREN of Abraham are not God’s children.
- They can be IF they believe on the Lord Jesus Christ.
- Romans 9:26 is another quote from Hosea 1:10.
 Hosea 1:10 Yet the number of the children of Israel shall be as the sand of the sea, which cannot be measured nor numbered; and it shall come to pass, that in the place where it was said unto them, Ye are not my people, there it shall be said unto them, Ye are the sons of the living God.
- The children of ISRAEL are the SPIRITUAL SEED of Abraham. It’s all those who have FAITH.
 Romans 9:27-28 Esaias also crieth concerning Israel, Though the number of the children of Israel be as the sand of the sea, a remnant shall be saved: 28 For he will finish the work, and cut it short in righteousness: because a short work will the Lord make upon the earth.
- Now, do you see what the Bible does? It’s amazing.
- There’s a HUGE number of the physical seed of the CHILDREN OF ISRAEL.
- But it says right there that ONLY a remnant shall be saved. It’s the small number of those that BELIEVE.
- GOD FINISHES HIS WORK with the Lord Jesus Christ. Jesus says, “IT IS FINISHED!!!”
- His work on the earth is finished. All are saved through the BLOOD OF JESUS CHRIST. That’s the only way.
 Romans 9:29 And as Esaias said before, Except the Lord of Sabaoth had left us a seed, we had been as Sodoma, and been made like unto Gomorrha.
- Unless Jesus Christ had come we’d all be like Sodom and Gomorrha. Burning in hell.
- Romans 9:29 is a quote of Isaiah 1:9.
 Isaiah 1:9 Except the LORD of hosts had left unto us a very small remnant, we should have been as Sodom, and we should have been like unto Gomorrah.
- Sodom and Gomorrah were wicked and didn’t believe on God AT ALL.
 Romans 9:30 What shall we say then? That the Gentiles, which followed not after righteousness, have attained to righteousness, even the righteousness which is of faith.
- The GENTILES didn’t follow after the law like the CHILDREN OF ISRAEL.
- Even today, the JEWS think they are saved by the law. They don’t believe you’re saved by FAITH.
- You can only gain righteousness through FAITH. That’s it.
- Your good works of following the law don’t gain you any righteousness GOD SAYS in this Bible.
- Does that mean to go do whatever you want then? OH NO IT DOESN’T. That’s the opposite.
- Why? Let’s see what the Bible says.
 Romans 9:31 But Israel, which followed after the law of righteousness, hath not attained to the law of righteousness.
- For those churches who believe they obtain righteousness through the law, they are just like ISRAEL.
- They are just like the fleshly children of ISRAEL. They aren’t the SPIRITUAL CHILDREN OF GOD.
- They don’t obtain ANY righteousness by following the LAW. Why? Because everyone breaks the law.
- And they don’t just break the law once. WE ALL BREAK GOD’S LAWS EVERY SINGLE DAY.
- So, why wouldn’t someone gain righteousness through the laws and commandments of God?
 Romans 9:32-33 Wherefore? Because they sought it not by faith, but as it were by the works of the law. For they stumbled at that stumblingstone; 33 As it is written, Behold, I lay in Sion a stumblingstone and rock of offence: and whosoever believeth on him shall not be ashamed.
- If you don’t seek GOD through FAITH, you can’t follow the law.
- Why is that? If you don’t accept JESUS CHRIST as your only SAVIOR, you have only your flesh to rely on.
- You don’t have the SPIRIT OF GOD to guide you and to lead you.
- Without the SPIRIT, you only have the flesh. YOU WILL SIN as that is the only OPTION available.
You Must Have The Holy Spirit To Be Saved
Without the SPIRIT OF GOD, you aren’t saved. You aren’t sealed. And you can’t walk in the SPIRIT.
- You might try to read your Bible, but you won’t understand it. The SPIRIT isn’t there to help you.
- First, BELIEVE ON THE LORD JESUS CHRIST. Put ALL your faith in HIM and ON HIM. TRUST HIM ALONE.
- False churches who teach YOU MUST repent of your sin, YOU MUST be baptized, YOU MUST DO THIS, YOU MUST DO THAT are falling for that same stumbling block that the physical CHILDREN OF ISRAEL are falling over right now.
- Hey, you don’t want to be a part of that.
The ROCK OF OFFENCE, the stumblingstone is JESUS CHRIST.
- All you have to do is BELIEVE on HIM to be saved.
- You don’t have to follow all the law all the time to be saved. Because you can’t.
- Should you do your absolute best to follow the law? Oh yes you should.
- But you can’t do that without the SPIRIT OF GOD within you.
- Then, you can follow the laws IF you choose to walk in the SPIRIT.
- You’re still going to mess up when you choose to walk in the FLESH. But don’t do it.
What’s it say right there at the end of verse 33 to close?
- Does it say, “And WHOSOEVER believeth on HIM and repents of their sin SHALL NOT BE ASHAMED?”
- Does it say, “And WHOSOEVER follows the whole law shall not be ashamed?”
- Does it say, “Whosoever wears dresses at the right length shall not be ashamed?”
- Does it say, “Whosoever is baptized shall not be ashamed?”
- What does that say right there? Because look, churches around here don’t get this.
Here’s what it says: “WHOSOEVER BELIEVETH ON HIM SHALL NOT BE ASHAMED.”
- What’s that mean? Put all your trust and confidence in JESUS CHRIST ALONE to save you.
- Understand that He went to the CROSS. He died on the cross. His soul went to hell for you.
- He arose from the dead in HIS PHYSICAL BODY. He did all the work.
- All of that happened on SABBATH DAYS to prove to you that HE DID ALL THE WORK while you rest.
- Now, simply BELIEVE ON JESUS CHRIST and enter into God’s rest that HE HAS FOR YOUR SOUL.
- Watch this as it’s very important to understand this today.
 Hebrews 4:10 For he that is entered into his rest, he also hath ceased from his own works, as God did from his.
- Enter into God’s rest by simply believing on the LORD JESUS CHRIST.
- Obviously, your flesh is still at war but ONE DAY your new body will be in complete rest.
- There will no longer be a war between your flesh and your spirit.
- STOP trying to work your way to heaven and simply believe in the WORK that God did for you.
- Simply take the FREE GIFT that HE WORKED FOR.
“Hey God, I want that free gift right now. I believe on you and trust you to save me.”
- “Jesus Christ, you are my one and only Savior. I trust you with all that I have.”
- “And I know that you’ll save me. I trust in the work you did for me.”
- That right there is how you call upon the name of the Lord.
- And HE SAYS, “Whosoever shall call upon the name of the LORD shall be saved.”
- If you’ve never done that before, do it right now as we pray.